Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

Watched Grey 17, wasn't THAT bad but you definitely could have done without the B Plot entirely. I'd give it a C+/B-

The Garibaldi bit was the A plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe he's just the kind of guy that grows on you in a rewatch, or I just like his theatrical voice, but for a minor recurring character he really stands out to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Maybe he's just the kind of guy that grows on you in a rewatch, or I just like his theatrical voice, but for a minor recurring character he really stands out to me.

Neroon, like Bester, appears in surprisingly few episodes for how much he weighs in the memory

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Edit: honestly, even that is a spoiler.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Neroon, like Bester, appears in surprisingly few episodes for how much he weighs in the memory

Didn't his actor also show up as a human? One of the Nightwatch assholes or something?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Polaron posted:

Didn't his actor also show up as a human? One of the Nightwatch assholes or something?

Yeah. The smooth talking one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was watching a mid season s4 ep and i saw walter motherfucking white as a spaceship captain

that was p cool

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Polaron posted:

I rewatched the final couple of DS9 seasons recently, and I realized he was also Gul Rusot in some of the penultimate episodes. I'll say one thing: even under the make-up he has the same drat scowl as Neroon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just finished Season 3 and watched the Season 4 opener. Excellent job of closing out many open threads with a satisfying conclusion while opening a few interesting ones that has me hooked. I just want to keep watching.

"Can I share your fire?"

Interested in figuring out who the hell this guy is!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly.
All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath . . . waiting.
All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both.
G'Quon wrote, There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against powers and principalities – it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation.
No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So I think the coolest moment in the whole series so far (through Season 3) was when the traditional UFO looking style ship started firing and it was just an absolute poo poo ton of laser blasts coming out of the bottom port of it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I still maintain one of my most emotionally involved moments in all of TV is realizing exactly what the plan is during the season 3 finale. Back then you just didn't do that sort of thing in a show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TraderStav posted:

So I think the coolest moment in the whole series so far (through Season 3) was when the traditional UFO looking style ship started firing and it was just an absolute poo poo ton of laser blasts coming out of the bottom port of it.

The Vree Saucer.

You got to see the pilots of one of those ships way back in season one.

You know...The episode with the guy suing one because his great grandfather had been abducted :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

God I love this show

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I love all the jokes with Centauri genitalia.

Londo: "I'll be in touch. Bah. Touch this." *gestures toward sides*

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

6?

6!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, if the Centauri have rich dueling traditions, how come there's never any with some sickass dueling scars? It's a shame that never comes up again so far as I know.

Season 2 is really strong when it finds its ground. The only shame is that there's not much G'kar, since he's busy with the war (whereas Londo is irresponsible and lower status within his society than than G'kar is). There's the war, the political machinations of all the races, and all the stuff building up in the background. There's even things that they did better than in season 1, like Confessions and Lamentations touches on so much of the themes of Believers, but Believers is dull when you don't know what's coming and like an incredibly slow train wreck when you do, while Confessions and Lamentations was full of tension and drama (although maybe a bit less relevant to current events?). Delenn doesn't have her cones of dunshire, but since she's not so taken up by mysterious exposition, she has the freedom to develop as a character and grow into relationships with other characters (although the implication may just be that Minbari don't "do" positive emotional relationships and she loosens up because she's human), and the Minbari have room to do some intrigue of their own.

I also feel like while there definitely was a big long plan from the start, the big long plan in season 2 is probably about as different from the big long plan that they had in later seasons as it was from the big long plan in season 1. There's a lot of future hooks, but there's not really much telegraphing of what actually comes later. While losing Talia, Hague doesn't help, they weren't as crucial as Sinclair was. Even dropping Bureau 13 doesn't seem like that much of a loss. I do like the comparison between what Hague and what his actor does in DS9 as a different admiral.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

God I love this show

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

S04E03

Vorlons are bad now?! THOUSANDS of ships, some three miles wide? The planet is gone?

I'm still buckled up but need more harnesses!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So you feel you've been cast-.... in a bad light?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I did not remember this Lita episode at all. Except for the bit about Ivanova being a low level telepath. I guess I just transferred all of the the thoughts I had about Talia to Lita. Just like the writers. What an anagram.

I wonder how much dry ice they go through for all these atmosphere rooms.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly.
All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath . . . waiting.
All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both.
G'Quon wrote, There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against powers and principalities – it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation.
No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain

JMS's great strength as a writer is the ability to put stuff like this together and have it work on the page as well as spoken by a good actor.
Andreas Katsulas' great strength as an actor was to take material like this and make it magnificent. I wonder who's decision it was to have G'Kar be almost whispering for this delivery. I want to believe it was Katsulas.

It was G'Kar speaking through him, great actors have that happen to them with great characters.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also feel like while there definitely was a big long plan from the start, the big long plan in season 2

S2 isn't all written by JMS in the same way as the later series; you also get things popping up in resonance rather than actually recurring!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Season 5 of The Name of the Pod podcast is live! Multiple goons agree that this is indeed a Babylon 5 podcast! Come bask with us in Byron’s luxurious mane.

It’s not showing up yet in Apple Podcasts but it should be there shortly.

Episode 1: The Name of the Pod - A Babylon 5 Podcast: No Compromises https://overcast.fm/+JPET6AfZM

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

head58 posted:

Season 5 of The Name of the Pod podcast is live! Multiple goons agree that this is indeed a Babylon 5 podcast! Come bask with us in Byron’s luxurious mane.

It’s not showing up yet in Apple Podcasts but it should be there shortly.

Episode 1: The Name of the Pod - A Babylon 5 Podcast: No Compromises https://overcast.fm/+JPET6AfZM

Is your avatar Max?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

No, that’s Gepetto. Max is an orange tabby.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
We binged a few episodes this week/last weekend. We liked "Deathwalker" (great Londo and G'kar stuff right here, with a few nitpicks) and "Believers." "Believers" felt like a decent but rejected Star Trek: The Next Generation script. I enjoyed seeing G'kar and Londo not giving a poo poo about the alien parents. "Survivors" was ok, not great. Garibaldi's cliched alcoholism was, I would say, much. I enjoyed "By Any Means Necessary" despite the government representative being a cartoon douchebag. "Signs and Portents" was genuinely good, and "Grail" had some fun David Warner moments. After those it has really felt like the season's been going down hill. "Eyes" had some.. uh.. writing, acting and pacing issues. Most disappointingly, the "A Voice in the Wilderness" two-parter felt disjointed and somewhat nonsensical. We followed these with "Babylon Squared," which has a fine concept, but the delivery was just not there. Once again, pacing, acting, and writing issues. These all felt like first drafts.

I'm still not too happy with anything that doesn't heavily involve Londo or G'kar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

We binged a few episodes this week/last weekend. We liked "Deathwalker" (great Londo and G'kar stuff right here, with a few nitpicks) and "Believers." "Believers" felt like a decent but rejected Star Trek: The Next Generation script. I enjoyed seeing G'kar and Londo not giving a poo poo about the alien parents. "Survivors" was ok, not great. Garibaldi's cliched alcoholism was, I would say, much. I enjoyed "By Any Means Necessary" despite the government representative being a cartoon douchebag. "Signs and Portents" was genuinely good, and "Grail" had some fun David Warner moments. After those it has really felt like the season's been going down hill. "Eyes" had some.. uh.. writing, acting and pacing issues. Most disappointingly, the "A Voice in the Wilderness" two-parter felt disjointed and somewhat nonsensical. We followed these with "Babylon Squared," which has a fine concept, but the delivery was just not there. Once again, pacing, acting, and writing issues. These all felt like first drafts.

I'm still not too happy with anything that doesn't heavily involve Londo or G'kar.

With a few exceptions, you're arguably in the worst part of the whole series, and quickly coming out of it. HOLD ON.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wanting more Londo and G'Kar is an objectively correct opinion though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Delthalaz posted:

As far as Believers goes, it was intentionally written that way, and JMS asked David Gerrold who wrote Trouble with Tribbles to do it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

“How much justice can you afford?”

Just be aware as you proceed to the end of S1 that Michael O'Hare, playing Sinclair, was suffering severe mental problems including hallucinations and paranoia. It's a minor miracle they finished the first season, in retrospect, but you can see some unevenness in his performance that's tied up in that medical issue.

This was kept secret until O’Hare's death.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Narsham posted:

“How much justice can you afford?”

Just be aware as you proceed to the end of S1 that Michael O'Hare, playing Sinclair, was suffering severe mental problems including hallucinations and paranoia. It's a minor miracle they finished the first season, in retrospect, but you can see some unevenness in his performance that's tied up in that medical issue.

This was kept secret until O’Hare's death.

Oh goddamn I had no idea! Poor guy.

Doctor Zero posted:

As far as Believers goes, it was intentionally written that way, and JMS asked David Gerrold who wrote Trouble with Tribbles to do it.

Ahhh that makes perfect sense.

TraderStav posted:

With a few exceptions, you're arguably in the worst part of the whole series, and quickly coming out of it. HOLD ON.

That's what I keep telling myself! I mean TNG Season 1 was pretty atrocious. I'm going to stay the course, but some of these have shaken our confidence. There must have been madness going on behind the scenes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Oh goddamn I had no idea! Poor guy.

Ahhh that makes perfect sense.

That's what I keep telling myself! I mean TNG Season 1 was pretty atrocious. I'm going to stay the course, but some of these have shaken our confidence. There must have been madness going on behind the scenes.

I've just made it to Season 4 and 2+ are some of the best TV I've ever seen. Very incongruous to Season 1. IT ALL PAYS OFF

S04E04 spoilers:

Holy poo poo, just started this episode and the Vorlons have gone absolutely ape poo poo crazy. My God

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

The difference between Midnight on the Firing Line (s1e1) and Sleeping in the Light (s5e22) is at least 3 times bigger than the difference between Encounter at Farpoint and The Inner Light from TNG. It's a significant change as it goes on.

It's like that time you tried your friend's edibles and you kept snacking on the brownie because you weren't feeling anything then your friend is like "oh yea it's gonna take like an hour to kick in" and you've been eating them for an hour. The ride will be intense and you will think multiple times "Okay, i've peaked" and that will be incorrect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Holy poo poo, just started this episode and the Vorlons have gone absolutely ape poo poo crazy. My God

:carol:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I've been wondering how O'Hare was to direct towards the end, or if the trouble he was having made JMS uncomfortable with going too weird. Not that I wanna blame him for quality issues, but if he was having bad trouble it must have shown somehow.

It's weird how half the cast in the pilot doesn't make it into the show, and then after the first season, the main character that linked all the other characters together got swapped out, so most of the characters had to rebuild their chemistry from scratch twice (except for Londo and G'Kar, who had amazing chemistry from the word go).

I wonder what the plan was originally for Catherine Sakai. I can't figure where she would've fit in for the later seasons if Sinclair stayed on. I kinda liked her as a character, a more pedestrian view of the galaxy next to all these high-powered people. Would she form a love triangle with Sinclair and Delenn? Would Delenn's flirting with Sinclair end up meaning nothing and Lennier would finally have a chance? Or would Sinclair's new wife continue exploring the dark, outer reaches of the galaxy and mysteriously vanish on Khazaduum to provide the same hook that Sheridan had?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

For our season 1 friend. I cannot believe how good the CGI is in season 4, irrespective of how bad it was in Season 1. With the nebula background and beautiful ships I think it may be surpassing Trek of the same era.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Or would Sinclair's new wife continue exploring the dark, outer reaches of the galaxy and mysteriously vanish on Khazaduum to provide the same hook that Sheridan had?

This is probably the right answer. (s3 spoiler) the setups are almost identical. Both women were basically frontier adventurers. Both poked at the Shadows. The only difference between the two is that Sakai and Sinclair were split before she was lost.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering how O'Hare was to direct towards the end, or if the trouble he was having made JMS uncomfortable with going too weird. Not that I wanna blame him for quality issues, but if he was having bad trouble it must have shown somehow.

I got the impression from comments JMS made that it relied more on him being unusually perceptive, as someone who'd studied psychology seriously at university, and had experience working with mental health issues, than O'Hare being in a noticeably (to most people) bad state. It's just, well, when you've managed to take an untreated health concern with you into your 40s, maybe you should step away from your 7-day-a-week job to deal with that.

Speaking of Michael O'Hare: An hour long fan convention video where he talked and answered questions. From comments he makes, I think this happened between Seasons 2 and 3. It's fun to see him being himself, and what sort of jokes he cracks.

"You mentioned that acting's your dream job, but if you couldn't be an actor, what would you want to be?"
"Trust fund baby. I understand they actually lead rather hard, unfulfilling lives, but I think I could manage it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's weird how half the cast in the pilot doesn't make it into the show, and then after the first season, the main character that linked all the other characters together got swapped out, so most of the characters had to rebuild their chemistry from scratch twice (except for Londo and G'Kar, who had amazing chemistry from the word go).

I wonder what the plan was originally for Catherine Sakai. I can't figure where she would've fit in for the later seasons if Sinclair stayed on. I kinda liked her as a character, a more pedestrian view of the galaxy next to all these high-powered people. Would she form a love triangle with Sinclair and Delenn? Would Delenn's flirting with Sinclair end up meaning nothing and Lennier would finally have a chance? Or would Sinclair's new wife continue exploring the dark, outer reaches of the galaxy and mysteriously vanish on Khazaduum to provide the same hook that Sheridan had?

I haven't seen their scene for a while but I remember them having way more chemistry than delenn and sheridan ever manage