Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

1glitch0 posted:

Tammy Duckworth on CNN: "America has never been on the side of ethnic cleansing."

:ironicat:

Edit: my own ironicat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Ypur metaphor is missing a couple details: the casual dining corporations own all the farms and the fast casual dining corporations own their debt.

No, those aren't missing details that's just word salad demonstrating your lack of basic understanding of what that article is talking about.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

Jesus loving christ that tweet is so lovely

For anyone that didn't click through itvs basically "Danica called herself a mom. Is there a new definition for that word now too?"

Thats pretty much the state of the VAGOP. Its just Corey Stewart all the way down.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

So, uhh, how many cans of soup go you have in your basement? God you lot are weird

I thought Griffen and his wife had 2nd thoughts about buying 500$ worth of soup.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

So, uhh, how many cans of soup go you have in your basement? God you lot are weird

I grew up in Florida, and hurricanes are a natural phenomenon. Come summer, you had the basic essentials on you just in case, or you were a moron, it is as simple as that. I don't have to be a prepper to acknowledge that storms hit, power outages happen, blizzards occur. Having a safety margin is simply being prudent for when you can't predict what will happen in the future.

As for cans of soup, I try to keep one or two cans of Campbell's chicken and sausage gumbo for when I get sick. I don't know why, but that stuff always helps.

Let me guess, you don't have a spare tire/donut in your car, do you?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

twice burned ice posted:

If society collapses I'm offing myself and everyone I care about. Y'all can have fun doing your live reenactment of The Road.

Yeah sorry but, this. I'm a fat gently caress with flat feet and zero survival skills. I can be man enough to be honest. I'm the guy that dies in Act 1 of the zombie movie because he can't run fast enough. I know my fate in such a scenario. No thanks.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

I thought Griffen and his wife had 2nd thoughts about buying 500$ worth of soup.

What, am I the Zodiak killer now? That much soup is also impractical in a townhouse, and I'm sure MY WIFE would object.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

If things fall apart to that point though, a few more months/days/weeks can be precious.

Perhaps, but I can just piggyback on my hurricane preparedness. We keep 2-3 weeks worth of water and canned food on hand. I just don't think you can really prepare for the breakdown of society as it will be unimaginably horrible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1glitch0 posted:

Tammy Duckworth on CNN: "America has never been on the side of ethnic cleansing."

This is why Trump works. Because the "good guys" have no actual argument.
I remember when this forum kept wanting her to run for President because she’s disabled like FDR, but nobody really checked to see what she’s ever done

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Griffen posted:

I grew up in Florida, and hurricanes are a natural phenomenon. Come summer, you had the basic essentials on you just in case, or you were a moron, it is as simple as that. I don't have to be a prepper to acknowledge that storms hit, power outages happen, blizzards occur. Having a safety margin is simply being prudent for when you can't predict what will happen in the future.

As for cans of soup, I try to keep one or two cans of Campbell's chicken and sausage gumbo for when I get sick. I don't know why, but that stuff always helps.

Let me guess, you don't have a spare tire/donut in your car, do you?

There's nothing wrong with being prepared for natural disasters. It's the apocalypse prepping that most of us here are making fun of.

Having supplies for a few days without power is a good idea. Having two years worth of food and 10,000 rounds of 7.62 is :tinfoil:.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

No, those aren't missing details that's just word salad demonstrating your lack of basic understanding of what that article is talking about.

Bloomberg posted:

More than half of the world’s banks are already in a weak position before any downturn that may be coming, according to a report from consultancy McKinsey & Co.

A majority of banks globally may not be economically viable because their returns on equity aren’t keeping pace with costs, McKinsey said in its annual review of the industry released Monday. It urged firms to take steps such as developing technology, farming out operations and bulking up through mergers ahead of a potential economic slowdown.

“We believe we’re in the late economic cycle and banks need to make bold moves now because they are not in great shape,” Kausik Rajgopal, a senior partner at McKinsey, said in an interview. “In the late cycle, nobody can afford to rest on their laurels.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm just going to sign up for the local gay boy berserker chapter under the regional humongous

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Jarmak posted:

The article was talking about how current financial entities are struggling to make a profit off of their enterprises due to competition from new paradigm financial institutions. The obvious point that the article didn't address, since its Bloomberg, was what is going to happen to these struggling institutions (all those big established banks) when the coming downturn strikes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they're not profitable now, they're going to crash and burn once a large enough portion of their investment portfolio collapses. The failure of your analogy is that the declining casual dining establishments have most of our deposits, so when they go under the fast-casual places aren't going to take their place. The new financial services entities are not standard banking services but creative investment vehicles (i.e. stuff like credit default swaps and other hazy math products). If this was a case of a new bank replacing an old one, fine, your point stands and I would agree - it's what should have happened in 2008. Instead, if I'm reading the article correctly, the new competition is in the investment services sector or stuff like credit cards, not basic banking services, so the new companies wouldn't replace these basic services if the older institutions fold. Likewise, I'm not sure if these newer entities have been stress tested either. If they are following a Silicon Valley start-up mindset, they might be just as fragile and over-extended too.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't know what you think what you quoted means, but isn't even topical to what you're asserting, never mind supporting it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

friendbot2000 posted:

drat straight. This kid was in loving sixth grade. A loving sixth grader is being tossed around and assaulted by the pigs.

It gets worse too. She was a special needs kid that took one too many milk cartons from the school cafeteria. But yes, lets put more cops in schools so they can beat minority children before they get too uppity and demand equal rights.

https://twitter.com/SueBeeHun/status/1187027555037171717

The cop claims she "assaulted" school staff...she brushed past them. All cops are bastards

I would love to see a 500lb 8 foot tall dude slam this piece of poo poo into the wall in a little bit of hammurabinic justice

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah, non US banks are hosed because of central bank interest rate depression.

The real problem is that our entire world economy, and every service provided to humans is based on a market system that requires perpetual 3% growth at minimum, most of which is based on consumption and population growth. As human population flatlines the system as it exists is impossible to maintain. Basically we figure out how to distribute wealth and remove growth at any cost as the central driver for human activity or the whole thing collapses

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Griffen posted:

The article was talking about how current financial entities are struggling to make a profit off of their enterprises due to competition from new paradigm financial institutions. The obvious point that the article didn't address, since its Bloomberg, was what is going to happen to these struggling institutions (all those big established banks) when the coming downturn strikes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they're not profitable now, they're going to crash and burn once a large enough portion of their investment portfolio collapses. The failure of your analogy is that the declining casual dining establishments have most of our deposits, so when they go under the fast-casual places aren't going to take their place. The new financial services entities are not standard banking services but creative investment vehicles (i.e. stuff like credit default swaps and other hazy math products). If this was a case of a new bank replacing an old one, fine, your point stands and I would agree - it's what should have happened in 2008. Instead, if I'm reading the article correctly, the new competition is in the investment services sector or stuff like credit cards, not basic banking services, so the new companies wouldn't replace these basic services if the older institutions fold. Likewise, I'm not sure if these newer entities have been stress tested either. If they are following a Silicon Valley start-up mindset, they might be just as fragile and over-extended too.

This is not the case, the reasons for declining profitability as stated by the article is the loss of customers to other financial services companies.

Also the banks being unprofitable is not the same thing as being insolvent, that's not what that means at all

edit: the newer companies are a valid concern but there's nothing in this article that gives us insight on that.

edit2: also increasing costs. The implication of mentioning the IT investment is that newer firms can do the same things for cheaper because they're utilizing a better IT infrastructure.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

There's nothing wrong with being prepared for natural disasters. It's the apocalypse prepping that most of us here are making fun of.

Having supplies for a few days without power is a good idea. Having two years worth of food and 10,000 rounds of 7.62 is :tinfoil:.

That's fair. I'm not suggesting getting buckets of crisco and lining your basement with it. I will say that if you think society might collapse within 20-50 years, it is worth asking yourself what you want to do with that time or where you'd want to be. Do you want to be in a certain city, near family, off on your own in a cabin in the woods? Do you want to enjoy what's left of nature, or do you want to enjoy the city life while it is still relatively calm? Would you feel more at ease somewhere else in X years? As an example, I sure as hell would not want to live in Miami right now, because that obviously is one of the first places to go to hell in a hand-basket with sea level rise. So if you're a Miami goon, maybe you want to think of an exit strategy over the next 5-10 years rather than not thinking about it. There are small steps that we can do to make things a little better, even if we can't solve everything. To me, it is about being at peace with the future as much as I can. Nihilism won't help me sleep at night, but being knowledgeable about and accepting what may come and having some basic ideas of what I'd like to do at least helps me feel that I am facing the future with my eyes open.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember when this forum kept wanting her to run for President because she’s disabled like FDR, but nobody really checked to see what she’s ever done

just wait until you find out what FDR did

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

Also the banks being unprofitable is not the same thing as being insolvent, that's not what that means at all

If the banks are over-leveraged* then being unprofitable is effectively the same as being insolvent.

*they are, hilariously so.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 24, 2019

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

If you look at the source material at https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...ate-cycle-moves you can see that they don't claim that the banks are economically inviable. Thats Bloomberg editorializing. Whats happening is that banks in emerging and some other markets have revenues that are not keeping up with costs, thus squeezing their profits. The US financial system is not outlined as a concern in the report either.

Jarmak is correct. This is not a financial collapse scenario and what is actually said by McKinsey is being misinterpreted.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This is not the case, the reasons for declining profitability as stated by the article is the loss of customers to other financial services companies.

edit: the newer companies are a valid concern but there's nothing in this article that gives us insight on that.

The article states that "a majority of banks globally may not be economically viable because their returns on equity aren’t keeping pace with costs." This probably has nothing to do with how many customers they have (though maybe there is some factor about economy of scale) but that the way the banks are structured, their operating costs are higher than the returns they are getting from their equity. Either this means they have too much bloat and they either need to trim down or are zombie banks, or this means the economic sector (mortgages and other loans) is generating less returns than it previously did. Either way, it means that there is a large part of the world's economic system that is on very shaky grounds even before a full downturn has started. There's not enough information in the article to definitively state what the problem is, but we learned from 2008 that the financial system is not able to respond quickly enough on its own to absorb shocks from failing institutions. Even if the newcomers could fully replace them (which it is not clear that is the case) there would be massive instability in the transition ala 2008.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao NJ politics

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1187446084173475840?s=20

Using a liquor license to gently caress over a business is mob'd up as hell.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Ok, to follow up my post: I was incorrect. It looks like bloomberg pulled that tagline out of their PDF: https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/Mc...t%20stop%20Time

"A majority of banks globally may not be economically viable"

What they mean by economic viability is defined as return on tangible equity minus the cost of equity, not strict profit. In some of the other charts, you can see that returns on tangible equity are generally positive, which has net income in the numerator, so that just means that the cost of equity is high relative to the returns.

ryde fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2019

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

If the banks* are over-leveraged then being unprofitable is effectively the same as being insolvent.

*they are, hilariously so.

not even close, it means rich bankers get a little less rich for a few years.

Griffen posted:

The article states that "a majority of banks globally may not be economically viable because their returns on equity aren’t keeping pace with costs." This probably has nothing to do with how many customers they have (though maybe there is some factor about economy of scale) but that the way the banks are structured, their operating costs are higher than the returns they are getting from their equity. Either this means they have too much bloat and they either need to trim down or are zombie banks, or this means the economic sector (mortgages and other loans) is generating less returns than it previously did. Either way, it means that there is a large part of the world's economic system that is on very shaky grounds even before a full downturn has started. There's not enough information in the article to definitively state what the problem is, but we learned from 2008 that the financial system is not able to respond quickly enough on its own to absorb shocks from failing institutions. Even if the newcomers could fully replace them (which it is not clear that is the case) there would be massive instability in the transition ala 2008.

That would be a mostly reasonable (but still making lots of assumptions) read on that sentence taken in isolation, but the entire rest of the article gives us context for it that paints a completely different picture. It's clear from the rest of the article that "economically viable" in this sentence is standing in for "not profitable". There is absolutely nothing in this article that gives even the slightest negative assessment about the investments these banks are making. The article literally mentions part of the problem is a loss of customers to other institutions. Customers is literally what drives an investment bank's revenue, if people don't give you money to invest you don't make as much money.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm getting some real 2007 era D&D vibes from this discussion. ("The Housing market is experiencing a natural and expected correction, a few bad loans present no risk to an economy this sophisticated")

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
What happens if and when zombie Deutsche Bank collapses is a complete mystery and anyone claiming authority on the matter is deluded. Their debts are intertwined with every country and asset class on the planet

edit: exactly

Prester Jane posted:

I'm getting some real 2007 era D&D vibes from this discussion. ("The Housing market is experiencing a natural and expected correction, a few bad loans present no risk to an economy this sophisticated")

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jarmak posted:

It's clear from the rest of the article that "economically viable" in this sentence is standing in for "not profitable".

My take from the source material is that "economically viable" here means "investors aren't going to get real returns" and is not about the banks literally losing money.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

ryde posted:

If you look at the source material at https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...ate-cycle-moves you can see that they don't claim that the banks are economically inviable. Thats Bloomberg editorializing. Whats happening is that banks in emerging and some other markets have revenues that are not keeping up with costs, thus squeezing their profits. The US financial system is not outlined as a concern in the report either.

Jarmak is correct. This is not a financial collapse scenario and what is actually said by McKinsey is being misinterpreted.

So now I have more questions. I am economic idiot. If the "banks" were "too big to fail" but you are saying "lol failure can't happen" then what did the tax payers actually do in 2008?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

So now I have more questions. I am economic idiot. If the "banks" were "too big to fail" but you are saying "lol failure can't happen" then what did the tax payers actually do in 2008?

American banks are in much better shape, structurally, then they have been in decades. China's banking system is a massive and likely fraudulent black box, DB is a tire fire, and there are tons of Italian and Spanish banks that are basically walking insolvencies, as they were never properly gutted and recapitalized following 2008 and 2012

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

syntaxrigger posted:

I'm not sure where you're pulling this "failure can't happen" statement from. I'm saying that the material that Bloomberg is sourcing their article from doesn't say what the posters here say it actually does. In particular, the weak banks are not in the US here, and weak is defined as not making investors good returns, not unprofitability. At least according to my reading. That doesn't indicate collapse is imminent. It may very well be that collapse is imminent but the material in question doesn't make that case.

The article has absolutely no applicability to 2008 whatsoever so I don't even understand what you're asking here.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ryde posted:

My take from the source material is that "economically viable" here means "investors aren't going to get real returns" and is not about the banks literally losing money.

The actual report appears to be down at the moment, I'll defer to your judgement until I can actually read it for myself. The article made it sounds like a loss of revenue to competitors combined with increases in costs has put them in the position where their profit's are extremely squeezed. Making their profitability vulnerable to an economic downturn.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ryde posted:

apologies for posting the misleading article; i didn't read the whole article since i got hit with the paywall. probably should have caught that "return on equity" was an indication that this wasn't a bank weakness thing.

obviously over the long term, another shadow banking sector popping up without regulation isn't good but that's a long-term danger not a "next few years" danger

Prester Jane posted:

yes, thank you for your fact-free argument-free prophecy it is very helpful when involved in a factual discussion on a complex subject to have a jester constantly interjecting with a "look at me! look at me! i'm ever so important" desperately trying to be considered an oracle, usually i need to wait for the nutters on the subway screaming about jesus for that

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jarmak posted:

The actual report appears to be down at the moment, I'll defer to your judgement until I can actually read it for myself. The article made it sounds like a loss of revenue to competitors combined with increases in costs has put them in the position where their profit's are extremely squeezed. Making their profitability vulnerable to an economic downturn.

My link is just not working. If you go to https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...ate-cycle-moves which is their summary, the PDF is downloadable on the right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

what he's saying is that the report isn't saying that failure is likely, we misread the report. they are at risk of becoming unprofitable for their shareholders, not collapsing. it's something for a citibank shareholder to worry about, not a citibank depositor.

that doesn't mean that the bank cannot fail and all is well, just that the cited report isn't suggesting they're on the verge of failure

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, that's my take too. We're talking about two separate things

1. normal P&L trends based on current economic trajectories, largely informed by historical precedent and economic cycles

2. A contagion or global bank run scenario which is harder to predict

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah sorry but, this. I'm a fat gently caress with flat feet and zero survival skills. I can be man enough to be honest. I'm the guy that dies in Act 1 of the zombie movie because he can't run fast enough. I know my fate in such a scenario. No thanks.

Same, but how do you deal with the incredible crushing depression that comes with that? I've been sort of "woke" or whatever to this for about two days and am so depressed that I can't do anything. How do you hold these ideas in your head and not have them ruin your life?

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
What is the likelihood of the traditional financial services sector going down in flames in the next 10/15 or years? Should we expect a disruption shakeup from fintech?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Preppers aren't stockpiling weapons and ammo for self defense, despite what their sincerely held beliefs are.

They're essentially gearing up to be Fallout type Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A recession in the near future is likely, however, it is extremely difficult to predict when it will occur or what the severity will be