Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

rkajdi posted:

Same, but how do you deal with the incredible crushing depression that comes with that? I've been sort of "woke" or whatever to this for about two days and am so depressed that I can't do anything. How do you hold these ideas in your head and not have them ruin your life?

Go see a doctor if it's bringing you down that much. Catasrophizing isn't healthy, especially when it's over stuff that's completely out of you control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doctor Butts posted:

Preppers aren't stockpiling weapons and ammo for self defense, despite what their sincerely held beliefs are.

They're essentially gearing up to be Fallout type Raiders.

Being immediately shot in the head by some guy dressed in Elton John's casual wear and having their stash stolen?

rkajdi posted:

Same, but how do you deal with the incredible crushing depression that comes with that? I've been sort of "woke" or whatever to this for about two days and am so depressed that I can't do anything. How do you hold these ideas in your head and not have them ruin your life?

Go to therapy. That isn't a drag on you, it is legitimate advice that I follow myself. Having a safe outlet for all those concerns is extremely good for your health.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

rkajdi posted:

You have to find something that gives you personal meaning- but you won't really know where to start looking for that until you've spent consiberable time wrestling with this monkey.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

rkajdi posted:

Weed, mostly. Hanging out with the dog.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

that sounds like just standard depression that you should seek medical assistance with, same as with any other medical problem. the core issue is the underlying depression, not the issue your mind has selected as the "cause" of the depression because your mind is wired to find explicable causes for things.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Wait until they learn the republican origins of the 22nd amendment when it boots Trump out

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'll sum up that report for everyone in very simple terms.

Banks in developed markets like the US: Good.
Banks in emerging markets: Not so good.
Banks in US: Big, strong, able to withstand downturn.
Banks in emerging markets: small, wimpy, must scale up or complete mergers to stay afloat during next downturn.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SocketWrench posted:

My current job we get three day weekends. Course we work ten hour days. But I can tell you every weekend is like a mini vacation. The attitude of our shift vastly improved too. It's like people had more time to enjoy or something

Switching from 5x8 to 4x10 frees up one day Monday through Friday, and that day is very useful for scheduling appointments especially medical appointments. That ability to schedule stuff relieves stress. That is a good thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I take it from the Max Max/ Fallout chat nothing interesting or particularly stupid and insane is happening today?

Do we actually get a quiet day avoiding Donny?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CuddleCryptid posted:

Go to therapy. That isn't a drag on you, it is legitimate advice that I follow myself. Having a safe outlet for all those concerns is extremely good for your health.

Thanks and I didn't take it as a drag. I always worry that therapy is a gateway to losing my freedom (in a literal institutionalized sense) as soon as I admit I have a problem with this kind of ideation. And whoever said catastrophizing was right. I've been having this problem with a bunch of things over the last few years (job loss/government downsizing, end of the global economy, economic collapse, now climate apocalypse) nad the cycle has been getting worse and more dark in the last month or so. Taking any time to read the climate change thread hasn't done anything to help me out either-- I don't know how people can wallow in that kind of misery and not have it destroy them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kellyanne conway: still doesn't get how "off the record" works

https://twitter.com/hausofcait/status/1187448483281801216

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Also someone was claiming that US banks were once again leveraged up to their necks which flies against everything I'm hearing from people smarter than me, so I googled up https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/financial-stability-report-201905.pdf which is a May 2019 financial stability report, and it says:

quote:

Leverage at financial firms remained low relative to historical levels, as regulatory reforms enacted after the financial crisis continue to support the resilience of key financial institutions

... with pretty charts to elaborate. Again, not saying that banks can't fail and we're all not going to be living in a mad max world in the next 10 years, but if we are then it's not going to be for the reasons that are being repeated in this thread.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

kellyanne conway: still doesn't get how "off the record" works

https://twitter.com/hausofcait/status/1187448483281801216

I thought the Examiner was a conservative rag. This reporter seems like she has some actual chops though

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

Thanks and I didn't take it as a drag. I always worry that therapy is a gateway to losing my freedom (in a literal institutionalized sense) as soon as I admit I have a problem with this kind of ideation. And whoever said catastrophizing was right. I've been having this problem with a bunch of things over the last few years (job loss/government downsizing, end of the global economy, economic collapse, now climate apocalypse) nad the cycle has been getting worse and more dark in the last month or so. Taking any time to read the climate change thread hasn't done anything to help me out either-- I don't know how people can wallow in that kind of misery and not have it destroy them.

Depression is a very standard medical condition and if everyone who admitted severe depression to their therapist got institutionalized, well, you'd see a lot more mental institutions around.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

Depression is a very standard medical condition and if everyone who admitted severe depression to their therapist got institutionalized, well, you'd see a lot more mental institutions around.

Admitting you have a plan to hurt yourself if everything fails is very different than that.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TulliusCicero posted:

I take it from the Max Max/ Fallout chat nothing interesting or particularly stupid and insane is happening today?

Do we actually get a quiet day avoiding Donny?

Elijah Cummings funeral service starts today and all the impeachment related dispositions were rescheduled to Monday or later.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

rkajdi posted:

Thanks and I didn't take it as a drag. I always worry that therapy is a gateway to losing my freedom (in a literal institutionalized sense) as soon as I admit I have a problem with this kind of ideation.

You will not be institutionalized. I have problems with catastrophic thinking as well (diagnosis is generalized anxiety). Just meds and therapy.

rkajdi posted:

Admitting you have a plan to hurt yourself if everything fails is very different than that.

Again, speaking from experience, suicidal ideation is not going to result in you being institutionalized. They'll only do that if they think you're at an immediate risk, as in you'll walk out of their office and off yourself in the parking lot. "If everything fails" already precludes that.

ryde fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 24, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dog Friday posted:

What is the likelihood of the traditional financial services sector going down in flames in the next 10/15 or years? Should we expect a disruption shakeup from fintech?

the quantum buttcoin thecloud in the terra crystal computers will still use fortran.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

that sounds like just standard depression that you should seek medical assistance with, same as with any other medical problem. the core issue is the underlying depression, not the issue your mind has selected as the "cause" of the depression because your mind is wired to find explicable causes for things.

remember that there should be no connection between the world around you and how you feel. discontent with the state of the world is a medical problem, requiring a medical solution.

God's in His subdivision, and all is right with the world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember that there should be no connection between the world around you and how you feel. discontent with the state of the world is a medical problem, requiring a medical solution.

Not the same thing as depression.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

There are not enough mental institutions to institutionalize anyone who has had suicidal idealation. If you scared your doctor enough that he thought you were going to kill yourself that night, you might be institutionalized overnight. It's just not a thing to permanently institutionalize someone for having been a suicide risk. What you are describing is a somewhat severe form of depression but that's not something people get institutionalized for. Even if doctors wanted to, they couldn't (and they don't).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

inability to function in the world based on something terrible that will happen in the future is, by definition, a medical problem

because i got news for you about something terrible that is assuredly in your future no matter what

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1187448633089806337
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1187448568686231553

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

ryde posted:

I'm not sure where you're pulling this "failure can't happen" statement from. I'm saying that the material that Bloomberg is sourcing their article from doesn't say what the posters here say it actually does. In particular, the weak banks are not in the US here, and weak is defined as not making investors good returns, not unprofitability. At least according to my reading. That doesn't indicate collapse is imminent. It may very well be that collapse is imminent but the material in question doesn't make that case.

The article has absolutely no applicability to 2008 whatsoever so I don't even understand what you're asking here.

A misunderstanding, my bad. My question more accurately should have been directed to Axeil's post. I thought yours was a continuation of that but it appears I was wrong.

axeil posted:

The FDIC is also financed by the banks themselves paying premiums as an ongoing requirement of being allowed to do business and have an absolutely absurd amount of cash on hand that they're required to have by law. They're also very good at minimizing their losses during crises.

If they were to go down they'd have to exhaust all that capital plus Treasury/Congress would have to be in a position where they don't give them emergency extra funding.

About the only thing that could bring down the FDIC imo is a nuclear war and even then I wouldn't say it's guaranteed.

Beyond making sure you have an emergency fund and aren't living above your means there is literally nothing you can do to protect yourself from a recession so do not worry about it. Accounts are insured for up to $250,000 which is ludicrously high so that no one starts hoarding money under their mattress.

The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) provides a similar service for credit unions.

Your money is fine, stop panicking everyone.

quote:

So now I have more questions. I am economic idiot. If the "banks" were "too big to fail" but you are saying "lol failure can't happen" then what did the tax payers actually do in 2008?

evilweasel posted:

what he's saying is that the report isn't saying that failure is likely, we misread the report. they are at risk of becoming unprofitable for their shareholders, not collapsing. it's something for a citibank shareholder to worry about, not a citibank depositor.

that doesn't mean that the bank cannot fail and all is well, just that the cited report isn't suggesting they're on the verge of failure

I got that. I was responding to a post, albiet I quoted the wrong one. Thanks though.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hey maybe don’t discourage mentally ill people from seeking treatment as part of your stupid loving faux edgy “nothing matters” miasma okay? You’re odious enough as is without actually harming people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

A misunderstanding, my bad. My question more accurately should have been directed to Axeil's post. I thought yours was a continuation of that but it appears I was wrong.

What he's saying is that we have the institutions to avoid depositors losing their money if a bank fails. The FDIC has both an insurance fund and the backing of the full faith and credit of the United States government. When you, as a depositor in a bank that failed, actually lose your money poo poo has gotten really, really, really bad - far worse than just some bank failures. The US government has, essentially, collapsed.

What taxpayers did in 2008 was largely bail out other financial institutions that aren't protected by the FDIC but threatened the financial system as a whole (rather than the issue being just depositors losing their money).

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

stockpile antidepressants tbh. The real currency of the post-apocalyptic future

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rorycooper/status/1187428344591204353

whoops wrong tweet

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 24, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I believe a much more likely form of crash will be what we saw with WeWork. Investment funds full of stupid money from .01%-ers chasing returns via stupid investments suddenly finding out that the bagholder they were counting on to let them cash out simply doesn't exist. So now their money is trapped as management fees slowly chip it away to nothing.

The damage to the real economy will come when all the dumb schemes they were backing which have been hollowing out other industries due to that stupid money being used to artificially keep prices below cost suddenly seize up.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I think the response to is that the US government wasn't trying to save depositors' money, but rather that they were trying to prevent even worse repercussions to the general economy. These have some correlation but are not the same thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

I believe a much more likely form of crash will be what we saw with WeWork. Investment funds full of stupid money from .01%-ers chasing returns via stupid investments suddenly finding out that the bagholder they were counting on to let them cash out simply doesn't exist. So now their money is trapped as management fees slowly chip it away to nothing.

The damage to the real economy will come when all the dumb schemes they were backing which have been hollowing out other industries due to that stupid money being used to artificially keep prices below cost suddenly seize up.

well, the issue is that even hedge funds aren't just investing the money of the ultra-wealthy; pension funds are a big source of hedge fund money

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Messaging team"

What message? The President released a transcript himself, all the witnesses confirm it, and the loving Chief of Staff admitted it and said so "what?"

What could their "message" possibly be? "The President is allowed to commit crimes because he is the President?"

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

evilweasel posted:

What he's saying is that we have the institutions to avoid depositors losing their money if a bank fails. The FDIC has both an insurance fund and the backing of the full faith and credit of the United States government. When you, as a depositor in a bank that failed, actually lose your money poo poo has gotten really, really, really bad - far worse than just some bank failures. The US government has, essentially, collapsed.

What taxpayers did in 2008 was largely bail out other financial institutions that aren't protected by the FDIC but threatened the financial system as a whole (rather than the issue being just depositors losing their money).

Ah ha. That makes sense. Thanks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

There are not enough mental institutions to institutionalize anyone who has had suicidal idealation. If you scared your doctor enough that he thought you were going to kill yourself that night, you might be institutionalized overnight. It's just not a thing to permanently institutionalize someone for having been a suicide risk. What you are describing is a somewhat severe form of depression but that's not something people get institutionalized for. Even if doctors wanted to, they couldn't (and they don't).

Yeah, it probably comes from a buddy who's been institutionalized and had ECT used on him two or three times. But he's a medically diagnosed schizophrenic, so there's a lot of differences there. Paranoia is another problem of mine, and it might be rooted in still being somewhat in the closet for social and employment reasons.

quote:

because i got news for you about something terrible that is assuredly in your future no matter what

If we're talking about death, that doesn't actually scare me and really hasn't since I was young. Life sucking severely before death terrifies me.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I mean the FDIC cant back up the entire banking system. Its guarantees went hand in hand with federal controls to prevent a systemic crisis. Thank god financial innovation and congressional bribery has loosened that blot on our beloved freedoms.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, it probably comes from a buddy who's been institutionalized and had ECT used on him two or three times. But he's a medically diagnosed schizophrenic, so there's a lot of differences there. Paranoia is another problem of mine, and it might be rooted in still being somewhat in the closet for social and employment reasons.

yeah, if a doctor thinks you are a danger to other people, that's one thing: a danger to yourself, that's another. there's no reason you should avoid seeking treatment for depression because of concerns over being institutionalized.

think of it this way: you're allowed to decide you don't want your cancer treated and wish to leave the hospital, even against medical advice. you're not allowed to, say, decide you don't want your typhoid treated and go back to preparing people's foods.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ryde posted:

My link is just not working. If you go to https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...ate-cycle-moves which is their summary, the PDF is downloadable on the right.

It was actually down for a couple minutes, unless you edited your link and that's why it started working again.... thought I got it to come up by refreshing the page though?

I agree with your read that the driving point is that cost of equity is making the banks unprofitable for their investors, though for some of their archetypes they mention loss of customers is driving diminished ROTE from loss of scale and volume.

The report also shows that the big banks that people are talking about ending the world are the banks doing the best, as well as North America in general.

ryde posted:

Also someone was claiming that US banks were once again leveraged up to their necks which flies against everything I'm hearing from people smarter than me, so I googled up https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/financial-stability-report-201905.pdf which is a May 2019 financial stability report, and it says:

... with pretty charts to elaborate. Again, not saying that banks can't fail and we're all not going to be living in a mad max world in the next 10 years, but if we are then it's not going to be for the reasons that are being repeated in this thread.

Yeah you can see that in the McKinsey report as well if I'm drawing the right inferences from the growth of ROTE from decreased cost of risk increased asset holdings.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I looked it up and on top of the enormous money they have on hand as basically "Insurance for Banks", the FDIC has a statutory $100,000,000,000 line of credit directly from the Treasury.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
For me the most maddening thing about the bailouts wasn't the money or even the actions that led up to them, it's the fact that today, in the year of our Lord 2019, I have to see Jamie Dimon's smug face on tv talking about economic predictions instead of him being in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey maybe don’t discourage mentally ill people from seeking treatment as part of your stupid loving faux edgy “nothing matters” miasma okay? You’re odious enough as is without actually harming people.

Basically this.

If you post something dissuading people from seeking mental health treatment from qualified professionals I am going to poo poo on you from a great height and when you come up from your probation induced coma you best not be posting like that again.

This goes for any other poster in this thread, this forum, and also CSPAM.