Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

this line is much funnier if you imagine the article is contemporary

quote:

The Ottawa Rough Riders selected defensive end Derrell Robertson in the Las Vegas Posse dispersal draft April 18. Robertson had died Dec. 5, 1994, in a car crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Has anyone posted “seeking glory through grift” yet

Also it seems somehow appropriate that when I clicked that link, the site showed a full page popover ad for Trump on top of the story

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

here
we
go

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1187407189486510086

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Still better than what AAF players made.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

$27k/yr is below poverty levels if I remember right. Its not enough money to be doing high physical risk work.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

They're independent contractors, you see,

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
That is simultaneously outrageously low pay while also being way higher than I expected

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Lol holy poo poo I make less than $15/hr and I still make more than that

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
lol $27k. Yikes.

If an XFL player has a wife and two kids, they would be under the threshold to qualify for food stamps.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I once worked a fulltime job and made less than that

I also lived in Culiacan Mexico

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Xtreme Frugal Lentils

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So basically $2,700 per game. Yikes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You can play in the cfl for 41k cad (31k usd) minimum contract and you get health care

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's absurd, I'm a poor dumbass and I make a good amount more than that. Are they even insured for injury or to provide workers comp? That pay could seriously leave someone broke, heavily injured and basically hosed a million different ways

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

its the same grift the NCAA runs

They aren't paying athletes because its all about getting the NFL to notice you

Its about paying your dues!
This is your last chance, you need to seize it!
Think of how rich you will be when you make it!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is why unions are good

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

No you see once the league has established itself and revenue is coming in player salaries will increase and lol I can't even f

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you'd have to file bankruptcy if you got a speeding ticket on that kind of pay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Strobe posted:

Lol holy poo poo I make less than $15/hr and I still make more than that

Minimum wage in Seattle is 15 dollars, so the people in the concession stands will be making more than some of the players for the Seattle Dragons.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I hope nobody bought season tickets because at this rate they won’t even make it to their first game

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Isn't that exactly what was leaked before?

27k + $16 850 in active game bonuses (10 games) plus $11 110 if your team wins half its games gets you to $54 960.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you'll lose half of that between taxes and healthcare so no, its not a good payday.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
You probably lose it all to healtcare

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Health care is for those wussies in the NFL who hurt their poor knees while refusing to stand for the anthem. The XFL is for real football players, if you break something rub some dirt and spit on it and get back in there and loving win!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There is so much risk inherent in playing football. You can't just pay them like they're busboys at Outback Steakhouse. poo poo the practice squad NFL players make like ten times that amount

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I know nobody reads beyond the headline these days, and it's much easier to just make fun of paying someone 27K to be in the XFL, but....

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1182674798272491521

So 27K base for 24 weeks. Being active on game day and winning gets you a bonus of $3,907 per game week. That means a theoretical 10 week $39,070 max bonus + $27,000 base for winning each week for $66,070 maximum compensation for the season. Plus whatever they may get for playing the playoffs and Championship. If you assume that has the same bonus per game week, that's $73,884 for making it to the playoffs and championship game and winning with an undefeated record.

The minimum CFL player salary is $50,000. Average salary is $80,000.

No guys you see its ok if they never get hurt and win all the time they will make the minimum salary for the CFL

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I know next to nothing about actual sports. I have a friend who is convinced that the XFL is being established purely to “sell a gambling app.” I think the reasoning he espouses is like, people will bet on whatever, so let’s set up with the dumb off season sport to keep them betting.

I don’t know poo poo about poo poo. Is that poo poo a common theory? Are there facts there? Is it substantiated?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

coconono posted:

you'll lose half of that between taxes and healthcare so no, its not a good payday.

I'm not saying its good, I'm just saying this is exactly what was put out a couple weeks ago.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

I know next to nothing about actual sports. I have a friend who is convinced that the XFL is being established purely to “sell a gambling app.” I think the reasoning he espouses is like, people will bet on whatever, so let’s set up with the dumb off season sport to keep them betting.

I don’t know poo poo about poo poo. Is that poo poo a common theory? Are there facts there? Is it substantiated?

That just sounds like confusion because that was the idea with the AAF

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Porque no los dos?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wonder how much those stupid promotional videos cost to make

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

When I was like 24, I contemplated trying out for the CFL.

I never played organized football in my life, but I used to be Wes Welker / Danny Amendola / (white) sneaky quick and I could catch anything thrown my way.

Instead I stayed in the Army.

I couldn't even imagine the depravity of the prospective players situation if you play in the XFL.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The XFL is like the French Foreign Legion but for football players.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That doesn't really seem too bad for essentially an amateur league, I remember hearing about NFL players back in the 60s working at different jobs in the offseason so I looked up what the minimum was back then. Turns out there was no minimum salary until 1970 when it was set at $9,000, which adjusts to about $57,000 today. None of this matters though because none of the players will ever get paid anyway.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
A lot of CFL players take second jobs in the offseason if they decide to stay in Canada while they play. I think the league actually has a job program that helps find you offseason jobs and a career after football.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The huge difference is that in the CFL if you are paid a low wage and tear your ACL that surgery is covered by the government. If that happens in the XFL you go bankrupt.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The huge difference is that in the CFL if you are paid a low wage and tear your ACL that surgery is covered by the government. If that happens in the XFL you go bankrupt.

This is not true. First, pro athletes of an kind in Canada are not covered under any sort of workers compensation if they're injured. Second, teams are required to provide for players that are injured for 12 months after their injury and to provide private insurance for all players during that time. After 12 months however, American players are not covered either by the teams or the government. Canadian players of course are covered after that 12 months is completed but have to go through the public system (there are private options which is how athletes are dealt with here).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I was going to say the lack of health care is more of a societal problem too but decided to double check if that was actually the case first since I think they'd be obligated by law to at least offer an employer plan. This is from wikipedia, the citation is an espn article:

quote:

In contrast to the original XFL, players' health insurance will be covered by the league.[15] League officials anticipate the players will not have formed a labor union, by the time play commences, thus league policies will not be subject to collective bargaining, which could help prevent work stoppage like a lockout or strike.

I'm sort of surprised but what from what I understand of how WWE is run it's basically the same setup, the healthcare is good but unionizing is forbidden. I think they went that way after receiving a lot of bad press over wrestlers dying all the time.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2019

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think the deal in WWE is that now they will take better care of their people when they inevitably get injured but they're still expected to work 300+ nights a year until that happens and mostly pay their own travel/hotel costs on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I was going to say the lack of health care is more of a societal problem too but decided to double check if that was actually the case first since I think they'd be obligated by law to at least offer an employer plan. This is from wikipedia, the citation is an espn article:

I'm sort of surprised but what from what I understand of how WWE is run it's basically the same setup, the healthcare is good but unionizing is forbidden. I think they went that way after receiving a lot of bad press over wrestlers dying all the time.

This now raises the funniest possible scenario: the XFL launches with massive success and the players unionize, leading to a shutdown.