Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

there is a real mastery he has for conveying the meaning behind selecting a specific a brand to someone who hasn't heard of it. I know cheap liquor full well but never noticed Christian Brothers- but I knew entirely what he was talking about in a combination of dialog and visual presentation.

one thing that threw me for a loop is when he references Roast Beef's Zauberpunkt Licorice near the end, which I was certain was a real brand but all search results just return achewood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is really well-observed and there are a lot of great examples of this.

This is all from one strip.

What was the context of this strip?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Young Roast Beef is at the laundromat waiting for his mom to come back.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

What was the context of this strip?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12242008

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'll cop to not fully understanding why Corliss was faster

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Meth

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

She was with some nasty dude, neglecting her child, and probably getting high. She was faster because she was looking forward to whatever it was she wanted to do without her loser kid in the picture.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

It's not super deep; Roast Beef's childhood is so sad that he spends a lot of time paying attention to and mentally cataloging the delay between when his Mom started two machines at the laundromat.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

What was that thing Little Nephew bought that could have its contacts corroded unless protected using a petroleum-based lubricant?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have definitely referred to a couple of people as “a crappy little bullshit man” in several instances, that one gets some use outta me.

I rarely if ever get to avail myself of it but perhaps my favorite Achewoodism of all time is to surmise: “Hold on a minute. This guy is partying.

Pentaro posted:

What was that thing Little Nephew bought that could have its contacts corroded unless protected using a petroleum-based lubricant?

I’m not sure it’s ever clarified, but the only electronic type thing I’ve ever weatherized for any reason is spark plug contacts? Maybe Little Nephew has a moped or something.

Peanut Butler posted:

one thing that threw me for a loop is when he references Roast Beef's Zauberpunkt Licorice near the end, which I was certain was a real brand but all search results just return achewood

Onstad also has a knack for inventing words that seem so etymologically plausible that it’s surprising that it doesn’t appear to be a concept outside of his work. Margreaux dogs and baying hematites and so forth.

Archyduchess posted:

This intersects with his knack for writing food too-- as good as he is at gourmet stuff, I love how intimately and viscerally he gets cheap fast food and crummy little "wipe-down" chains.

Two words: Fiesta Names.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 24, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Peanut Butler posted:

https://shop.americanlicorice.com/pages/sour-punch

Sour Punch is a candy produced my the America Licorice Company

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Daaamn! That answer could use some work!

(I say this to my wife a lot and she hates it)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand; zauberpunkt means "magic dot."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I was looking at some pictures of nachos and I caught my mouth watering, and I thought it was funny how stereotypical my body was being. And I thought "drat, what's next, body, you gonna go make a smell in a room?"

And if those last seven words aren't already an onstadism I don't think they would be easy to pick out in a lineup of real ones

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I forgot how sad Roast Beef's life was. Which is to say, extremely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Who What Now posted:

I forgot how sad Roast Beef's life was. Which is to say, extremely.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The phrase "the dude is from Circumstances" is definitely up there with his all-time best. You don't need context to get that one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

there is a real mastery he has for conveying the meaning behind selecting a specific a brand to someone who hasn't heard of it.

Orangina!
What's "Godiva"?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I have never in my entire life seen blue Nehi, and had to look it up to make sure it wasn't a figment of Onstad's imagination.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pentaro posted:

it looked like some kind of DIY electronics science experiment kit thing, IIRC.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lemma posted:

Onstad also has a knack for inventing words that seem so etymologically plausible that it’s surprising that it doesn’t appear to be a concept outside of his work. Margreaux dogs and baying hematites and so forth.

If you'd told me that a "chemus witch" was an actual thing from Appalachian folklore, I would've believed you.

There is a complicated power dynamic in that house.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

davidspackage posted:

The phrase "the dude is from Circumstances" is definitely up there with his all-time best. You don't need context to get that one.

We had a rescue dog who I described as From Circumstances whenever I needed to excuse her behaviour. It always worked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The picture of baby Beef crying in a Wonder bread bag tied off with a power cord is more or less the state my first parrot was in when I got her.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

Sound effects were also usually good, like the ones for Cartilage Head's car or the boot of one of the members of the Tenmen stepping on gravel. It's a comic for people who like detail

Dude's got mane was where Mr. Dick got on board Achewood. Probably because Cornelius said "porpentine" and Mr. Dick recognized that as a Sandman Word.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pentaro posted:

A Cox model airplane. It's a little model airplane with a tether and a tiny engine. You hold the tether and the plane flies in circles. Mr. Dick isn't really sure that they're super anachronistic or if they're reserved for super nerds as Mrs. Dick had never seen one before either.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr. Dick posted:

Dude's got mane was where Mr. Dick got on board Achewood. Probably because Cornelius said "porpentine" and Mr. Dick recognized that as a Sandman Word.

It's a Shakespeare word. A Shakespeare-era word, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Dick posted:

A Cox model airplane. It's a little model airplane with a tether and a tiny engine. You hold the tether and the plane flies in circles. Mr. Dick isn't really sure that they're super anachronistic or if they're reserved for super nerds as Mrs. Dick had never seen one before either.

I had one of those as a kid in the 90’s, but the tether was meant to be tied to something like a ceiling fan for the one I had.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Dick posted:

don't talk in third person unless you're taking us to the Super Secret Ice Cream Shop

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

don't talk in third person unless you're taking us to the Super Secret Ice Cream Shop

~Gelati~

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Dick posted:

Porpentine is just another word for porcupine, I think Pynchon used it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There is a complicated power dynamic in that house.

I loving love this so much, it always blows me away. Pat is such a dick that even his natural fear of Nice Pete eventually fell to the wayside so he could enforce his bullshit rules on him :allears:

The blogs for all the characters were all wonderful but Pat's was something special. Onstad absolutely nailed the character in a way that was simultaneously hilarious, pathetic and utterly infuriating.

Halloween Jack posted:

The picture of baby Beef crying in a Wonder bread bag tied off with a power cord is more or less the state my first parrot was in when I got her.

Oh no, poor bird :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Pat is such a dick that Nice Pete doesn't even mess with him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I loving love this so much, it always blows me away. Pat is such a dick that even his natural fear of Nice Pete eventually fell to the wayside so he could enforce his bullshit rules on him :allears:

YES? HELLO?!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

https://shop.americanlicorice.com/pages/sour-punch

Sour Punch is a candy produced my the America Licorice Company

Oooooooh. I never caught that!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand; zauberpunkt means "magic dot."

I think it's Beef buying the cheap off-brand version of a common product. Habit built from a lifetime of Circumstances.

Jerusalem posted:

The blogs for all the characters were all wonderful but Pat's was something special. Onstad absolutely nailed the character in a way that was simultaneously hilarious, pathetic and utterly infuriating.

Ugh I always wanted to get deeper in to the blogs, but I can never seem to navigate well beyond the handful that I've already read for some reason. This reminds me to give it another go, but drat I wish he would publish a print compilation. (And maybe a full-on Achewood novel.)

Lemma fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 26, 2019

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Everyone is absolutely spot on about the Beef At The Laundromat strip. Onstad is so good at using things in these strips.

The thing that’s always driven me nuts about that strip though, is this: I live in Minneapolis, and Edina is a suburb, which does have 952 as the area code. Except we didn’t get 952 as an area code until I was in high school, the internet tells me the year 2000. It doesn’t parse with a young 1980’s Beef. In all seriousness though who gives a gently caress? Why would Onstad give a poo poo about Minnesotan area code minutiae? I just love that it’s something I DISCOVERED. ON MY OWN.

Also we don’t really have any Bank Of America’s up here either. But if we did, they’d probably be in Edina anyways, buncha cake eaters over there.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jerusalem posted:

Oh no, poor bird :smith:

I've always liked how Pat's character development, aside from his coming out of course, was mostly just Onstad refining what was initially a more or less generic cranky dweeb rear end in a top hat into something very very specific and very very damning of a certain kind of Californian in a certain moment in time. I still often think of the phrase "gravity sensible skitter-cart" and as somebody who was vegan in the aughts I get a shudder of recognition from all the made-up health food brands in his blog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I swear to god I saw a gravity sensible skitter cart once.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
As weird and kinda off as the "Teodor meets Penny" arc was, the moment where Pat runs in just to take a russet potato away from them and destroy it before yelling "I cure the world!" and running away was an absolutely incredible encapsulation of his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JethroMcB posted:

As weird and kinda off as the "Teodor meets Penny" arc was, the moment where Pat runs in just to take a russet potato away from them and destroy it before yelling "I cure the world!" and running away was an absolutely incredible encapsulation of his character.

Him yelling at Ray about not composting Correctly was also great