Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I'm doing a sober run for my first play through, and even though drugs and booze have decent bonuses, it just doesn't fit with my character thematically. I'm playing a dude whose so shocked about how horrible he is pre-amnesia that he's swearing off booze and drugs.

playing as a guy who is aware that he hosed up bad and is trying real hard to fix things and be a good cop again is the way to go for a first playthrough because playing like that makes finding your badge an incredibly impactful scene, whereas continuing to be a fuckup or lunatic makes it just one more thing on the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Donnerberg posted:

I've been wondering. Can you pull the body down by its boots after Kim goes to bed? I bet that would be fun to explain in the morning.

You'll probably rip the legs off. Try it out and report back. :downs:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tudabee posted:

Similarly, I want to make a down on his luck Special Agent Francis York Morgan if I can figure out the skills that would be appropriate. But most important is smoking at every possible opportunity, even when talking to people. Especially when talking to people.

5 2 3 2, with shivers as your signature

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Professor Cthulhu posted:

I tried the whole game and kept failing this until I finally got it on day 3 or 4. I have no idea if anybody says anything different before that but nobody brought it up after the fact.

On my current playthrough I haven't even looked into the mirror yet. I'm on day 2 with the same blotchy almost-man picture. I wonder if my badge's picture will appear down there when I find it instead. Probably not though.

Edit: VVVV Exactly. I had AN ENORMOUS REGRET when I removed it.

Maybe I'm just not hard boiled enough.

removing the expression is described well enough by the game: the expression makes you a joke. if you take it off, you're just a sad old man. It's up to you whether that's preferable. I happened to take it off on day 4 the morning after I found my badge and I thought that was incredibly appropriate timing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harry is actually 43 y/o.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

itry posted:

Harry is actually 43 y/o.

yeah but it's not a good 43, it's a very, very rough 43

let's be real, the guy's liver is at least 80 and if he had grey hair you'd think he was as old as Rene

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Are there any other opportunities to change your portrait? I got rid of the expression and shaved my sideburns off, was hoping there was some way to have him look less pathetic, maybe get rid of the red glow or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I get why we get Sad Detective, but I wish we had gotten the portraits from the character creation menu.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Are there any other opportunities to change your portrait? I got rid of the expression and shaved my sideburns off, was hoping there was some way to have him look less pathetic, maybe get rid of the red glow or something.

the red glow is from the alcoholism, livers are surprisingly resilient but going cold turkey for a week isn't gonna undo decades of pouring commodore red on your cornflakes

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the red glow is from the alcoholism, livers are surprisingly resilient but going cold turkey for a week isn't gonna undo decades of pouring commodore red on your cornflakes

Someone posted that response before, which doesn't really answer the question because this is a video game. :) I just wondered if there was anything out there to make him look a little better.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Someone posted that response before, which doesn't really answer the question because this is a video game. :) I just wondered if there was anything out there to make him look a little better.

video games are real life now, sorry, we're all swimming in the dumpster of ideology

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Phenotype posted:

No there isn't.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Phenotype posted:

It's a video game doesn't mean it shouldn't make thematic sense. His portrait looks exactly like the guy whose talking in my head with that dumb expression. Harry is the perfect gently caress-up.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Harrow posted:

Next time I play I'm going no drugs, no booze, but smoke like I hate my lungs.

yeah but it's not your lungs that you hate, it's someone else's

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

Next time I play I'm going no drugs, no booze, but smoke like I hate my lungs.

Electrochemesty: WELL MAYBE YOUR LUNGS HATE SMOKING BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T SMOKED ENOUGH

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

5 2 3 2, with shivers as your signature
York is more Inland Empire.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man the Church...uh event sure was a weird spot to slide in a Whitney Houston reference

Also that was cool

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Electrochemistry taking a moment to warn about how coffee will gently caress you up hardcore was great.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You've got to put the json file back in the save .zip. I've done it for skill points, not actually sure if it works for stats but should.

What's the right line to edit for skill points? I looked around 1000 or so, saw the available skill points line set at one and changed it to ten and flipped the false to true, but it made my save unable to load. Something I'm loving up?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

What's the right line to edit for skill points? I looked around 1000 or so, saw the available skill points line set at one and changed it to ten and flipped the false to true, but it made my save unable to load. Something I'm loving up?

I didn't touch the false/ttue bit and it worked. Maybe that's the issue?

It's near the money and health ups too (which are also easy to edit).

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
You have to be really careful with editing the stats. Adding skill points is probably the safest option. Putting any of the 4 core stats above 6 will cause the game to crash when a roll happens. Messing with modifiers for skills can cause the save to either not load, or a crash when rolling.

If you really want to cheat Cheat Engine is probably the safest route. There are scripts on the cheat engine forums that make it quite easy. Even then you have to be careful. Using cheat engine to put the core stats over 6 will still cause crashes.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just want to open up the thought cabinet without needing to pick between it and skills. Seems like the negatives from some thoughts are a big enough downside that it shouldn't cost me extra to equip, but that's just my own opinion.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

i passed that really tough volition check with the lady smoking on the roof. this game has better party banter than any other I’ve played, I wish there was a conversation log to relive moment like that

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I love how it manages to cram all that party banter into a party that as far as I can tell never has more than two actual flesh-and-blood people in it.

It feels a lot like they may have intended you to have an actual party at some point in development but it got cut. A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mister Bates posted:

I love how it manages to cram all that party banter into a party that as far as I can tell never has more than two actual flesh-and-blood people in it.

It feels a lot like they may have intended you to have an actual party at some point in development but it got cut. A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

Having followed this game for a few years, this really does seem to be the intended experience. I think very little was cut and what we have is exactly what the developers wanted to produce.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
well in that case I hope the intended experience includes a much bigger sequel

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope so too, but this game is already 20-30 hours on a single play through with multiple playthroughs viable. It's a pretty dense game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think the ending could have used a bit more of a denouement, but everything else about it was totally fine.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Parallelwoody posted:

I just want to open up the thought cabinet without needing to pick between it and skills. Seems like the negatives from some thoughts are a big enough downside that it shouldn't cost me extra to equip, but that's just my own opinion.

You're not mistaking the negatives for internalizing a thought with negatives once it's actually equipped right? Those go away once you're done internalizing. At least in my playthrough I filled my cabinet (and then some, deleted a few to make room for new ones near the end) and I saw only a very slim few with actual lasting downsides. like maybe 2 out of the 15 I finished

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No not the temp ones. I seem to remember one or two so far that had some downsides but I'm only at the end of the first day too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So, if you buy one of the bookstore books, the one on Innocents, you can use Logic checks to help with the quiz it gives you.

The skill dialogues in this game are definitely not I-Win buttons.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Some of them give stat maluses like the Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre gives a negative to suggestion, communism gives a negative to authority

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm bad at karaoke

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It's a video game doesn't mean it shouldn't make thematic sense. His portrait looks exactly like the guy whose talking in my head with that dumb expression. Harry is the perfect gently caress-up.

My Harry took the amnesia as a massive wake-up call to get himself out of the gutter and turn his life around. I stayed off the booze and drugs all game and internalized most of the Fix Yourself kinda thoughts. In my head, he's well on his way to being a non-gently caress-up again. :unsmith:

Although according to Kim, he's also a raging fascist, hates women, and is a bit of a racist. :( I didn't even think I picked any of those options, except when I was trying to get on a subject's good side.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm bad at karaoke

I'm sure it was an excellent performance, and those that heard it just can't appreciate your genius. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

well in that case I hope the intended experience includes a much bigger sequel

I think a better deal for everyone involved would be same size, but released faster.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phenotype posted:

:

Although according to Kim, he's also a raging fascist, hates women, and is a bit of a racist. :( I didn't even think I picked any of those options, except when I was trying to get on a subject's good side.

We are what we pretend to be

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there actually any known cut content besides the fact that espirit de corps was going to actually show other cops?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

removing the expression is described well enough by the game: the expression makes you a joke. if you take it off, you're just a sad old man. It's up to you whether that's preferable. I happened to take it off on day 4 the morning after I found my badge and I thought that was incredibly appropriate timing.

ummm...no it does not make me a joke...it makes me a superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
one of my favorite things about this game so far is that succeeding at a check is not always a good thing; it just means that you succeeded at the thing you were attempting to do, it doesn't necessarily mean that what you were attempting to do was worth doing