Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

My usual practice judo gi is finally starting to wear out. Any recommendations on a replacement? I'd like a 4.5 because of my gorilla arms, but would prefer not to have the heaviness of a double-weave. I've only worn Fuji and Hsu before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fell Fire posted:

My usual practice judo gi is finally starting to wear out. Any recommendations on a replacement? I'd like a 4.5 because of my gorilla arms, but would prefer not to have the heaviness of a double-weave. I've only worn Fuji and Hsu before.

I've recently purchased a Fuji Tokai Setsugi and I'm quite happy with it for its price. It's not ijf approved but it's a quality product. It might be a bit too heavy for you. My guess is that they're 650g or so

The Nicholas Gill gis from jukado are also good, but they're ridiculously heavy at 900g. They appear to be getting discontinued so you can probably get a deal.

Fuji's basic single weave gis seem to hold up well enough but they're not as nice. I've not yet seen an adult wear one over multiple seasons.

Most decent judo gear is heavy weave.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Out of curiosity, how do other disciplines treat experienced but new comers into your sport?

For example, if you had a person with MMA or kickboxing training for a few years and joined your art would they start right at white, no exceptions and work up like someone that is totally new or would they be evaluated and ranked?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

slidebite posted:

Out of curiosity, how do other disciplines treat experienced but new comers into your sport?

For example, if you had a person with MMA or kickboxing training for a few years and joined your art would they start right at white, no exceptions and work up like someone that is totally new or would they be evaluated and ranked?

Everyone in BJJ comes in as a white belt. Black Belt in Judo, Highschool College champ in wrestling, everyone. They, people with good grappling backgrounds, tend to get promoted faster just because they have less to learn before they're at an acceptable skill level for the next belt.

Edit: thinking about it sometimes they get promoted slower than what their skill level would have you believe to rack up some medals at competition.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If it's like an open mat situation, I've seen guys wear their judo black belt or whatever because its what they have. Nbd

There's always the story of the Japanese Jiu Jitsu or aikido guy showing up in a colored belt and getting rocked.

For example:

https://youtu.be/AyvOTEz7-8E

I wish i still had my aikido uniform. Would love to choke some dudes with my dress.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Always wear a white belt to a new art. You want people to be like ‘you’re good, do you have prior experience?’ after sparring with you. You don’t want to be the guy who rocks up wearing a black belt and then gets annihilated by white belts and then makes a bunch of weird excuses about it.

Happened very recently to me, guy wore his japanese ju-jitsu black belt to a beginner judo class, he spent the drilling portion of the class ‘correcting’ and ‘instructing’ his partner, then he spent the sparring portion of the class getting wrecked by white belts. Embarassing stuff.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

slidebite posted:

At my muay thai gym, you start with beginner classes just like everyone else. If your technique is solid, the coaches tell you to come to more advanced classes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've really been enjoying these classes and am super glad I started. Here's the thoughts I've had so far.

I am surprised that so much of the classes is just physical exercise and stretching. It's like... 80% basic fitness and then the last ten minutes we do stuff related to martial arts. Although I guess it's not a bad thing. I've started noticing some worrying limitations of my body, though - leg lifts and stuff with me left leg result in this really uncomfortable slide-pop of something moving under my skin and I have no idea if I should be ignoring it and just working through it or if something is actually wrong and I need to pull myself back there. I've definitely taken a break from the exercises when my back starts twinging, though, I've hurt myself before doing exercises and basically ruined all my momentum and I really want to avoid that this time, so I've got a weird mix of pushing myself and very much not pushing myself right now.

Not that anyone else is encouraging me to really push... It's really uncomfortable having my strength/flexibility commented on/complimented as often as it is though, and I sort of wish it would stop but I am doing my best to ignore my antisocial tendencies and just accept things in good grace instead of leaving to avoid people ever saying good things about me like I normally do. Still, I'm much more comfortable with criticism and I wish there was a lot more of that and a lot less of this positive reinforcement nonsense. I expected higher expectations, I think? I do enjoy the occasional "walk around and stretch you quite a bit more than you're stretching" circuits the teacher does.

Following up on that first point, my and my girlfriend have taken to basically "continuing class after class", since it feels like the 5 to 10 minutes of actual form stuff we do is not enough. Which is probably intentional, we're probably supposed to practice at home, but I don't have the time on other days, or the space for that at home, so we've gotten to the point of inviting people to come and practice forms and sparring in the alley behind the pizza place for another half hour or so after class, and that's been fun, although we had a surprise audience gather the other day to watch and that embarrassed her a lot, hah. And practicing properly really feels like it requires one of a: a mirror, a partner, or a recording device, so you can tell what you're doing wrong.

It's pretty great so far though, all told!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I attended my first tournament (Tang soo do/Taekwando) a couple of weeks ago. Currently a white senior belt (which equates to around the first 24 weeks +/-) and have been enjoying classes with my daughter and was encouraged to sign up. Ended up placing first in the point sparring beginner adult division. Also got third place in open hand forms. It was fun/interesting. Learning to get my Chuck Norris kicks down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

LLJKSiLk posted:

I attended my first tournament (Tang soo do/Taekwando) a couple of weeks ago. Currently a white senior belt (which equates to around the first 24 weeks +/-) and have been enjoying classes with my daughter and was encouraged to sign up. Ended up placing first in the point sparring beginner adult division. Also got third place in open hand forms. It was fun/interesting. Learning to get my Chuck Norris kicks down.

Good on you for putting yourself out there!

That being said, why is your opponent softly whispering to your kick?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

DandyLion posted:

Good on you for putting yourself out there!

That being said, why is your opponent softly whispering to your kick?

He had just thrown a kick I blocked and he was backing off. I decided to go for the win with 2 points to the side of the head. Not the best action shot from a zoomed in iPhone 7.

I've also dropped a little over 50 lbs since the beginning of the year so I'm surprised I could get my leg that high.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What's up with the whole belt thing, anyway? From what I've read, it used to be a pretty niche Japanese-only thing but has (fairly recently) spread to be taken up by basically everyone in every martial art.

Is it just like a convenience thing for matching people up in tournaments, mostly? Or does it matter somehow in some way even when not competing?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

What's up with the whole belt thing, anyway? From what I've read, it used to be a pretty niche Japanese-only thing but has (fairly recently) spread to be taken up by basically everyone in every martial art.

Is it just like a convenience thing for matching people up in tournaments, mostly? Or does it matter somehow in some way even when not competing?

Depending on the sport you are talking about its on a continuum between <-Marketing gimmick ------ Way to recognize hours and ability->

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Organising large groups of students into skill tiers makes teaching easier and gives the students an easy way to track their progress. Of course this runs the risk of making practice only about the next belt exam.

The belt colours (and the kyu/dan ranking system) were invented by Jigoro Kano of judo fame so they're only about a hundred years old, which means they're younger than the semiautomatic firearm. Japanese budo schools ended up picking up the rankings as they joined the big martial arts federation active at the time. Then judo and karate got big and everyone started expecting there to be belts, so now even some Chinese martial arts do belts.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

On another note anyone and everyone should totally watch The Art Of Self Defense if you haven't yet. It's loving hilarious

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

The belt colours (and the kyu/dan ranking system) were invented by Jigoro Kano of judo fame so they're only about a hundred years old,

No, the dan ranking originally come from Go and was adapted in the 17th century. Judo didn't pick it up until the 1883. (Thanks Wiki!).
Most koryu don't use it and have a menkyu kaiden system instead.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, I hadn't made the go connection, thanks. Now that I think about it, was Kano even the first one to formalize the dan system in martial arts? I think some proto-kendo schools had been running for a good while before he came along, but I have no idea how they organized their classes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Jigoro Kano invented all martial arts, including proto-kendo. This is a known fact. He also invented Go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JaySB posted:

On another note anyone and everyone should totally watch The Art Of Self Defense if you haven't yet. It's loving hilarious
Never heard of it so just looked up the trailer. Will definitely be seeing it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
YouTube?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The trailer is on youtube and looks like you can rent it on youtube as well. I'll probably wait until either my library gets it or it hits netflix/prime. It's still a fairly new release.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched this video and think this is the first time I've seen a bodybuilder beat the MMA fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14yjsulv7w

It made me sad. :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched this video and think this is the first time I've seen a bodybuilder beat the MMA fighter.

Juji owns and he also has a tkd background so it isn't surprising that he could beat someone 90 lbs lighter than him.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maybe Yuns can answer this, from a strategic point of view, are triangles kinda a bad idea with that much of a size imbalance if you are not mega lanky in no gi? Compared with attempting omoplatas, sweeps, armbars, or taking it back to standing?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shane isn't an MMA fighter, he's more of a kickboxer. Sparring isn't real fighting, but the guy who weighs almost 100lbs more than his opponent should almost always win. Fighting ability doesn't make you super human.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Shane isn't an MMA fighter, he's more of a kickboxer. Sparring isn't real fighting, but the guy who weighs almost 100lbs more than his opponent should almost always win. Fighting ability doesn't make you super human.

Believe me I know, but the bodybuilder dude pretty much let the guy throw on, to my purple belt eyes, a not bad looking triangle and dude pretty much just postured out of it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Believe me I know, but the bodybuilder dude pretty much let the guy throw on, to my purple belt eyes, a not bad looking triangle and dude pretty much just postured out of it.

I wasn't replying to your post initially.

Shane needed to angle off more on that triangle and pull the head down, he could barely lock his foot in behind his knee. We're talking about a huge size and strength disparity though, look at what happens a few mins earlier when he tries to armbar Juji and he literally just tosses him across the mat and grabs Shane's arm to save him from flying off into the nether worlds.

Always beat bigger guys with movement and transitions, take the back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't like to triangle big guys even though I've got the length because it's often hard on the neck and back.

I'll def snap one on if they're broken down due to defending and I see the opening.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I guess this one is now appropriate :D

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

Even if the guy has little to no fighting experience?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Even if the guy has little to no fighting experience?

In the video above Jujimufu has fighting experience. He's a TKD black belt and has fought in competitions.

Smaller guys with experience can overcome a size difference with skill.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That MMA fighter is not a good grappler at all. I'm 140-142 lbs and routinely roll with guys north of 230 including some guys who have to cut to make 265 heavyweight. You have to significantly adjust your game when there is a weight and strength disparity like that and that guy seemed incapable of that. You DON'T pull guard. Use your mobility advantage to play a top movement game. Also an absolute trash tier triangle. You never lock up behind the shoulder ESPECIALLY on a guy with large shoulders. Posturing out becomes trivial then which you saw the bodybuilder do easily but even a small guy could have done that. You lock up OVER the shoulder and underhook a leg. I'm shocked that he is a purple belt.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

I'm shocked that he is a purple belt.

Shane is a white belt, MAYBE blue belt. He's posted some videos training in a gi before I think. Definitely not a purple belt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

Shane is a white belt, MAYBE blue belt. He's posted some videos training in a gi before I think. Definitely not a purple belt.
Ok that makes more sense! Apologies for trashing him then. His mistakes are pretty typical low level belt mistakes so for a white or blue that's understandable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This in me spitballing -- if you take two reasonably fit people of the same age, put one into a combat sport for a few years, have that person compete reasonably successfully at the lower amateur level, and let the other person just exercise to stay in shape, the fighter could probably face a 20-50lb difference and still win, depending on how much they weigh.

If the fighter is in the middle tiers of an elite organization like the UFC, K-1, etc, I could see them handling a 100lb heavier reasonably fit person.

If the fighter is weak and slow, even with training, I think they'd struggle with someone who was 20lbs or heavier but above average fitness.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm hardly an expert but I think that is underestimating the fighter. Even in class I see big guys get handled by significantly smaller experienced dudes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In a class setting, you're normally not going to fully play to your (literal) strengths in size mismatch rounds. Bigger guys especially need discipline to work on improving their form over using raw strength.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

In a class setting, you're normally not going to fully play to your (literal) strengths in size mismatch rounds. Bigger guys especially need discipline to work on improving their form over using raw strength.

Yeah, but wouldn't that work more in the smaller guys favor? Pretty much every time they do a fight of bigger guy with little or no experience and smaller guy with a lot of experience, the smaller guy wins.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The difference between a full novice and a beginner with half a dozen classes and rudimentary knowledge of the basics is huge. Sometimes athletic tough guys come in and spaz the gently caress out as if the mats are a death match. I can handle those guys even if they're 100 lb bigger than me and they go full ham.

Once they've had a few classes and get a sense of how not accidentally to be completely suicidal when grappling, or if they've wrestled a bit in the past, it's a much more dangerous situation for me when they're that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm not confident people can learn that much in six classes. Maybe two dozen sounds right. I could just be a really slow learner though.

Also, I forget how much people should weigh, which is skewing my perception. A 20lbs weight difference averages around four inches in height. 20lbs (at times even 50lbs) in my mind is not that much being how overweight people at these days.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 25, 2019