Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Abrade, Abzan Charm, Abrupt Decay, Anguished Unmaking, Assassin's Trophy, Bedevil, Bile Blight, Blink of an Eye, Cast Down, Despark, Disfigure, all before E.

All Modern has extra is Dismember, Path to Exile, and Terminate. Not minor things, but it's not nearly the gulf you're describing.

Bumping the cost of interaction from 1 to 2 is...not a small adjustment.

...and then there's the countermagic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like that nothing has spiked to super crazy levels. That'll change, of course. I assume it's due to the unpredictable ban schedule, which if it was intentional of Wizards to announce that to keep the secondary market guessing, it's genius.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Only if it's to piss on them

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i recommend playing ashiok in brawl; not because it's good, but because the easiest way to get 5 wins and never play again is to have your opponents sacrifice their fabled passage and concede out of shame

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

And all the assholes who had to keep forcing it until it was finally enforced by the update today (I honestly don't get why it couldn't be implemented immediately like it was on MTGO).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Abrade, Abzan Charm, Abrupt Decay, Anguished Unmaking, Assassin's Trophy, Bedevil, Bile Blight, Blink of an Eye, Cast Down, Despark, Disfigure, all before E.

All Modern has extra is Dismember, Path to Exile, and Terminate. Not minor things, but it's not nearly the gulf you're describing.

And Bolt and Leak and Cryptic and Inquisition and...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

rude. enjoy the new oko meta. :smith:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'll take 4 (at max) Okos over dozens of zombies

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

And Bolt and Leak and Cryptic and Inquisition and...

I was just thinking board removal.

You still have duress and thoughseize, which are on inquisition's level. Divest and Collective Brutality right below that.

Losing Remand does suck, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder what notable reprints we'll be seeing in Standard in the next year or two. There has to be a number of cards that WotC thinks would be fine for Pioneer, but haven't been printed into Standard in recent years.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

C-Euro posted:

I wonder what notable reprints we'll be seeing in Standard in the next year or two. There has to be a number of cards that WotC thinks would be fine for Pioneer, but haven't been printed into Standard in recent years.

hahahaha

the format exists for the sole purpose of never ever reprinting snapcaster mage

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

hahahaha

the format exists for the sole purpose of never ever reprinting anything from Innistrad block

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ungulateman posted:

hahahaha

the format exists for the sole purpose of never ever reprinting fetchlands

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mean, yes to all of those, but I more meant your common/uncommon staples like your Remands and your Bolts and whatnot.

Wizards please reprint Knight of the Reliquary in the next core set so I can play GW Value Town in a format that's actually slow enough for it to be viable.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Knight of the Reliquary in Zendikar 3: A good Zen to Dikar would be nice

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Reliquary in question is Toshimo's favorite land, Reliquary Tower.

There has never been another Reliquary ever, and clearly cannot be, so KoTR is inexorably tied to Bant. Flavor is too powerful to defeat.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

duress is not remotely on the level of inquisition what are you on

like yeah there still exist some answers but going from 8 good discard spells to 4 is a huge deal. and while terminate and abrupt decay and stuff still exist, those are tier 2 removal spells at best, after bolt/path. countermagic is hosed, I don’t think there’s a single maindeckable 2cmc counter in the format.

you can’t strip out all the spells people want to put in their decks and replace them with the spells people begrudgingly accept putting in their decks without majorly tilting the balance of power from threats to answers

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I love seeing people desperate to run bad midrange piles in modern mad that their card quality went down for pioneer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The lack of modern's 1 mana power spells and fetches is making the games clunkier than I anticipated.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

duress is not remotely on the level of inquisition what are you on[quote]

In a world where everyone is scared of Aetherworks Marvel you will learn to love and embrace Duress or perish under duress.

[quote]countermagic is hosed, I don’t think there’s a single maindeckable 2cmc counter in the format.

Censor, Disdainful Stroke, Essence Scatter, Negate, Quench, Tale's End?

Not great but not nothing. I guess.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So you may recall I decided on GP Utrecht instead of Lyon because Lyon coincided with the prospective Brexit day.

It is now probably going to align with Brussels...

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BizarroAzrael posted:

So you may recall I decided on GP Utrecht instead of Lyon because Lyon coincided with the prospective Brexit day.

It is now probably going to align with Brussels...

Good thing you've invested money in something stable like MTG cards instead of unreliable like The Pound then.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Censor, Disdainful Stroke, Essence Scatter, Negate, Quench, Tale's End?

Not great but not nothing. I guess.

I would not maindeck a single one of those cards. the idea of a format where those cards would be viable in a maindeck is making me break out in hives.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I would not maindeck a single one of those cards. the idea of a format where those cards would be viable in a maindeck is making me break out in hives.

I think the design of Censor is pretty sweet. Its also a really weird thing to stress out about.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Silumgar's Scorn is workable provided you have enough good dragons to enable it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AnEdgelord posted:

Silumgar's Scorn is workable provided you have enough good dragons to enable it.

Yeah. The kind of decks that can get double blue turn 2 don’t play the 10-15 dragons necessary to turn it on.

I love the goofy dragon cards from Tarkir as much as you do, but there are zero playable dragons under 4 cmc in the format. And no, Metallic Mimic doesn’t count.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am playing mardu dragons again because it was my favorite standard deck and its not awful.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

I am playing mardu dragons again because it was my favorite standard deck and its not awful.

Do you have a list handy? I have a strange urge to play a deck that can play Draconic Roar.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cactrot posted:

Do you have a list handy? I have a strange urge to play a deck that can play Draconic Roar.

:same:

Mine was really a planeswalker deck with 6-8 dragons.

I think around then I made a good Mardu pw list that would get the opponent to side out removal and sweepers whilst I brought in Brimaz.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm seeing a lot of censor and syncopate in the counter slots so far.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. The kind of decks that can get double blue turn 2 don’t play the 10-15 dragons necessary to turn it on.

I love the goofy dragon cards from Tarkir as much as you do, but there are zero playable dragons under 4 cmc in the format. And no, Metallic Mimic doesn’t count.

Sarkhan Fireblood is a playable three cmc dragon, in his heart

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It would be really nice if Dragons could just be not mandated to cost 4 or more

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dragon deck? A return to Glory for the 'bringer?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I wonder if that skred dragons deck could work in Pioneer. It never really broke out of the pack in Modern but I think most of the pieces are intact depending on what variation you build.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Owlbear Camus posted:

Dragon deck? A return to Glory for the 'bringer?

I just wanna play kolaghan, the storm's fury, draconic roar, crackling doom and maybe thunderbeak regent again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I just wanna play kolaghan, the storm's fury, draconic roar, crackling doom and maybe thunderbeak regent again.

I got you fam.

Deck: Mardu Dragons

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Concealed Courtyard
3 Dragonskull Summit
4 Godless Shrine
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Urborg

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
4 Draconic Roar
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Thoughtseize
2 Wild Slash

//Creatures
4 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent

Display deck statistics

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

The old esper dragons standard deck didnt need to play that much to make it worth playing (they played ~6) and who cares about dragons under 4 cmc when they are clearly your wincon? Ojutai has some modern pedigree and baby Bolas is probably worth consideration for a Grixis list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Then play Legacy so you don't have to compromise a loving second on removal and just Swords poo poo, christ almighty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Then play Legacy so you don't have to compromise a loving second on removal and just Swords poo poo, christ almighty.

I do :smuggo:

I’d like to like this format, even as something distinct from modern and legacy, but if you’re gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me to put Tale’s End and Essence Scatter in the maindeck of a non-rotating format control deck I’m gonna give you poo poo for it. One of the big problems Modern has always had is that decks are always trying to go past each other because threats are so much better than answers, and this format has that problem times ten.