Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Just ate a funky-rear end sardine and while I was freaking out about it to my husband he said, "Hey, there's a sardines thread in GBS! But they might troll you."

Anyway, I just ate two bites of this sardine before realizing part of it was GREEN. The consistency of part of it was mushy and weird.

Did I just eat mold? Spoiled fish? Or is this some mysterious sardine anatomy?

Edit: I suck at pasting images

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
That does not look good friend.

What brand and type of 'dines were they? Were they packed in something weird?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

That does not look good friend.

What brand and type of 'dines were they? Were they packed in something weird?

:( :(

Season Brand, Skinless & Boneless in 100% olive oil. Only one was odd-looking.

They didn't smell or taste funny, and I didn't eat more than a few bites, so I'm hoping I'll be fine...but now I'm mainly just looking for anecdata from others.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

You're going to die from your internal organs liquefying and being forced out your butthole at high pressure

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's fine, that 'dine just didn't get gutted as cleanly as it could've.

Gross as it may seem, eating the partially digested stomach contents of a fish you're eating isn't that big of a deal. If you eat oysters or other sea mollusks, you're getting the same mouthful of algae chyme.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

oopsie rock posted:

Just ate a funky-rear end sardine and while I was freaking out about it to my husband he said, "Hey, there's a sardines thread in GBS! But they might troll you."

Anyway, I just ate two bites of this sardine before realizing part of it was GREEN. The consistency of part of it was mushy and weird.

looks like the fish trolled you before the thread could

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Dick posted:

It's fine, that 'dine just didn't get gutted as cleanly as it could've.

Gross as it may seem, eating the partially digested stomach contents of a fish you're eating isn't that big of a deal. If you eat oysters or other sea mollusks, you're getting the same mouthful of algae chyme.

This is very reassuring, thank you. This is the first time I've ever seen one like this, hence my ask-the-internet freakout after eating some.

Would super not like to die one week before my birthday. You are giving me hope that that's a possibility.

EDIT: Since I'm currently not going to die this weekend according to Mr. Dick, has anyone else had issues with the Season Brand foil tops? The foil pull tabs broke off TWO of them today as I was trying to maybe-poison myself for lunch. I got them from Costco about 6 months ago.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just looks like they missed the gutting/cleaning process. No big deal.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i finally got around to eating the bean dines and they were pretty good

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

oopsie rock posted:

That's definitely a sardon't

naem
May 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

i finally got around to eating the bean dines and they were pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/YVWsR3i.gifv

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

oopsie rock posted:

:( :(

Season Brand, Skinless & Boneless in 100% olive oil. Only one was odd-looking.

They didn't smell or taste funny, and I didn't eat more than a few bites, so I'm hoping I'll be fine...but now I'm mainly just looking for anecdata from others.

I've gotten a couple like that over the years, and I just figured there are places where people eat some kinds of fish guts and all so no biggie. If the rest of the fish was safe the innards should be too, although some parts are kind of bitter.

I finally found a bakery that makes baguettes with the proper light texture and thin crispy crust, so I made a big jar of quick-pickled carrots and daikon and am living the dream with an occasional sardine or smoked oyster bahn mi.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

thin crusts are good for sandwiches but for slicing into rounds and piling fish on, crust gotta be THICC

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just had my first ever 'dine experience with KO Mediterranian style on this thread's reccomendation, where have these been all my life

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

shame on an IGA posted:

Just had my first ever 'dine experience with KO Mediterranian style on this thread's reccomendation, where have these been all my life

one of us one of us

Today I had a can of bumblebee trout fillets in canola oil. The fish was really good once I rinsed off all the oil

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Not the most photogenic, and cut from a loaf rather than a baguette, but in the checkers game of life, sometimes you just gotta say " 'dine me".

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

The med style mackerel owns too

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
KO Lemon mackeral is top tier.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think I've fallen in love with fish sauce.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

red boat fish sauce is the secret ingredient in like 1/3 of the food i cook :ssh:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm making pho broth & instead of fish sauce I threw in a handful of tiny dried anchovies. We'll see how it turns out.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

mossyfisk posted:

Fish/oyster sauces are amazing and I get a hearty lol when I hear somebody get grossed out by them while also loving foods that contain them all their lives without knowing it.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Honky Dong Country posted:

Fish/oyster sauces are amazing and I get a hearty lol when I hear somebody get grossed out by them while also loving foods that contain them all their lives without knowing it.
I make wings baked in oyster sauce for pot lucks sometimes and people will gnaw them down to polished bone but there's always someone who decides they don't like them after eating ten because they found out about the oyster sauce.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Myron Baloney posted:

I make wings baked in oyster sauce for pot lucks sometimes and people will gnaw them down to polished bone but there's always someone who decides they don't like them after eating ten because they found out about the oyster sauce.

Lmao.

There's foods I don't like as well but I certainly don't act like a baby if I find out it's in something I enjoyed. I don't get why people don't just go "I'll be damned, didn't even notice it" like I do.

E: though the more I think about it the less I think it's that with fish/oyster sauces though, because they absolutely add a detectable awesomeness to food. I think people are just grossed out by the concept without realizing it's loving delicious as a key ingredient in lots of foods they prolly like.

Hell worscestershire sauce is basically a fish sauce and even the Romans were all about some gross delicious fish juice and put that poo poo on everything.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 3, 2019

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I get how the smell of fish sauce might throw someone at first if they knew nothing about it or had had a bad anchovy experience, but oyster sauce just smells and tastes like salty savory soyish ketchup. A negative reaction to it seems to be 100% based on the name which strikes me as weird.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I can see being upset if you're allergic to fish/oyster sauce, but other than that lol if you are mad about being "tricked"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Myron Baloney posted:

I get how the smell of fish sauce might throw someone at first if they knew nothing about it or had had a bad anchovy experience, but oyster sauce just smells and tastes like salty savory soyish ketchup. A negative reaction to it seems to be 100% based on the name which strikes me as weird.

I read a PJ O’Rourke book from the late 80s that had a chapter about his trip to Vietnam before I went 20 years ago. He said “Nuoc Mam is an acquired taste. A taste you’d better acquire quickly if you don’t want to vomit”

Which made me scared of it until I got there and yeah it doesn’t smell good on its own but now I put it in just about any savory sauce I make

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Myron Baloney posted:

My mom would par-boil chicken wings, then wok-fry them before tossing them in a sauce of oyster sauce, ginger, and green onions. That poo poo was dope.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Does oyster sauce even have oysters in it? It’s hard for me to differentiate it from hoisin sauce, which is about as inoffensive a flavor you can find.

I need to get some fish sauce. I keep putting it off.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick doesn't object to BBQ oysters and will eagerly down 2 dozen raw kumamotos without hesitation, but something about oyster sauce kinda grosses him out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does oyster sauce even have oysters in it? Its hard for me to differentiate it from hoisin sauce, which is about as inoffensive a flavor you can find.

I need to get some fish sauce. I keep putting it off.

The good oyster sauce has real oysters in it. The meh stuff has oyster extract.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mossyfisk posted:

Update:

I am allergic to fish sauce

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wait.

What?

How 'bout regular fish? :ohdear:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

mossyfisk posted:

Update:

I am allergic to fish sauce

what happened?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

what happened?

anaphylaxis, obviously

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

what happened?

turned into a fish

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

withak posted:

anaphylaxis, obviously

Can’t type with bloated fingers.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

these were the best 'dines i've had in ages. Pan do Mar, in extra virgin olive oil, hand cleaned and filleted. Can't remember what they cost but probably around $5aud for a 120g tin. Firm, tasted incredibly fresh, good flavour without being that fishy. A+ would dine again.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have taken to eating sardines only after midnight. I take this to mean I am either a Gremlin or some kinda 'dine vampire.