Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

cant kill someone if you live in a pod for your entire life

This is why my plan for mandatory abortions is perfect. Can't have kids shooting each other if there are no kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
You can still shoot kids at each other though. :pervert:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

anyone got a tldr as to why some people think that there is no way to stop american children from shooting up their schools? i just don't see how you can look at the world and conclude that yes, american schools must be this way and there is no way to stop the violence

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

redleader posted:

anyone got a tldr as to why some people think that there is no way to stop american children from shooting up their schools? i just don't see how you can look at the world and conclude that yes, american schools must be this way and there is no way to stop the violence

No, gently caress you dad!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

redleader posted:

Because clearly the solution to kids not being able to work out their problems with each other and becoming antisocial is to..... enforce their being antisocial?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

redleader posted:

It's because they know the NRA is so up in politicians' assholes that nothing will ever get done. If Newtown didn't get some people to finally question it, I doubt anything will.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

foobardog posted:

It's because they know the NRA is so up in politicians' assholes that nothing will ever get done. If Newtown didn't get some people to finally question it, I doubt anything will.

Newtown only gave alt right weirdos a chance to buy into more crazy conspiracy theories and fake news.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

etalian posted:

Newtown only gave alt right weirdos a chance to buy into more crazy conspiracy theories and fake news.

Yep. The response was to plug their ears and memoryhole it. Like basically the only hope for the foreseeable future would be a president saying gently caress it, we're taking the guns.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

foobardog posted:

Yep. The response was to plug their ears and memoryhole it. Like basically the only hope for the foreseeable future would be a president saying gently caress it, we're taking the guns.

And then also be willing to call in a surgical aerial bombardment on the uncooperative.

For real though, the actual solution to school shootings is to have death no longer be a highly attractive alternative to being alive in America.

Any actual attempt at gun control will result in guns being taken from and denied to non-white persons and leftists and not a single other person or group.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tubgoat posted:

Any actual attempt at gun control will result in guns being taken from and denied to non-white persons and leftists and not a single other person or group.

from the outside, what an amazing corner you have painted yourselves into

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

redleader posted:

It's almost like a country founded by a bunch of colonial middleman slavers who didn't want taxes to cut into their smuggling operations and a freer hand to exterminate the natives wasn't the most forward thinking operation.

And this was their second try!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

redleader posted:

No disagreement, friend.

Frankly, guns should be given to non-white people and homeless people only.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Main Paineframe posted:

cyber eyes are gonna be mega cheap. advertising companies will subsidize the hell out of them in exchange for being able to harvest "anonymized" info about what you're looking at, and perhaps getting the ability to sometimes display ads directly in your cyber vision

you'll be able to opt out at any time, of course...but only if you pay back the portion of the cybereye price that the ad company subsidized

also the cyber manufacturer, the doctors, and the marketers all work for the same company and the different divisions just charge each other the "fair" amount of fees that the ads subsidize

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

redleader posted:

because any of the things that might stop school shootings might also slightly decrease the profit margin of some well-funded industry, or challenge some basic American cultural principle

that's why they're instead offering alternate solutions that don't address the root causes but do funnel huge amounts of money to some parasite industry created to profit off the school shooting epidemic.

for example, the Lambda School mentioned in that tweet isn't a primary education school. it's a private non-accredited for-profit code camp that's free up-front, but after you graduate and get a job, it takes 17% out of your every paycheck for five years

likewise, mass shooting trainings, retrofitting school buildings with conveniently placed obstacles like they're FPS levels, invasive security and surveillance systems, posting security guards everywhere - they're useless bullshit, but they're useless bullshit that the school district pays huge amounts of money for

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

StashAugustine posted:

cant kill someone if you live in a pod for your entire life

there's a super old story that basically pre-predicted the internet where everyone does this and the idea of seeing a person physically face to face instead of through the network is terrifying

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

because any of the things that might stop school shootings might also slightly decrease the profit margin of some well-funded industry, or challenge some basic American cultural principle

I'm kind of at the point where I think this is a naive look at it. Sure the money involved is a motivator but the shaping of cultural identity is more important.

Capitalism is the end boss so it's money but the direct money isn't the goal and the keeping people in an alert state causing them to spend more is more what they're after.

Yes, it's true that the level of irony I'm at is so deep that I'm not even sure if I'm ironic about it any more.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
kinda hard to sell assault weapons if your company no longer exists tho amirite

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Main Paineframe posted:

this tweet leaves out some very important details from the piece, which is actually a theater-industry whine rather than a warning that Disney is destroying culture

I dunno.. I think that's going a little too far. Rep theatres are often a labour of love more than actual profit.. Like when the term "goldmine" is used there it means (at least around here) that a ticket taker and concession worker can be employed and usually the popcorn machine works. When those commercially-viable movies are unavailable at any price, that's definitely hurting small theatres that'll have a smaller amount of popular content with which to attract the few people who support small theatres in the first place :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's a super old story that basically pre-predicted the internet where everyone does this and the idea of seeing a person physically face to face instead of through the network is terrifying

The Machine Stops, I think? It's been posted in one of these threads before, good read.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Snackmar posted:

I dunno.. I think that's going a little too far. Rep theatres are often a labour of love more than actual profit.. Like when the term "goldmine" is used there it means (at least around here) that a ticket taker and concession worker can be employed and usually the popcorn machine works. When those commercially-viable movies are unavailable at any price, that's definitely hurting small theatres that'll have a smaller amount of popular content with which to attract the few people who support small theatres in the first place :(

yes, but "these new policies mean trouble for small businesses" is a significantly different conversation from "these new policies will forever rob Americans of valuable cultural artifacts", which is what the tweet was leaning toward

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
we already have an increasingly large cultural memory hole since nothing is allowed to enter public domain anymore

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

yes, but "these new policies mean trouble for small businesses" is a significantly different conversation from "these new policies will forever rob Americans of valuable cultural artifacts", which is what the tweet was leaning toward

"American Culture" is an oxymoron anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redleader posted:

tldr mass alienation to the point of psychosis and extremist violence is our society working as intended

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's part of cultural development for old works of media to be rediscovered, perpetuated, and iterated on by later generations, and the more stringently rightsholders crack down on people doing that, the more things will fall down the memory hole, leaving our current culture that much more vapid. With the decline of physical media, people can forget even more, since there isn't independent circulation of old works irrespective of the rightsholders' grand plans.

Make fun of small businesses based on promoting older works being hobbled if you want, but in our current world, if you can't make money doing something, it's not likely to happen. Some "classics" only became known as such because they were financial failures in the short term and the owners decided to license the rights for cheap, or even were lost somehow.

Inceltown posted:

I'm kind of at the point where I think this is a naive look at it. Sure the money involved is a motivator but the shaping of cultural identity is more important.

Literally the current state of things has been entirely created wholecloth by the NRA in the name of boosting gun profits. The NRA is the organization that pushed through the court system to reinterpret the constitution so that the amendment with the word regulate in it somehow means no regulations ever, and it's the NRA that is the vanguard of guns to swoop in and jizz money over everything to stop politicians from daring to change anything ever. They even ran a media company for a while to help the development of gun culture, god knows how you get rid of that.

They are the most successful lobbying group in American history, and that's why politicians fear them.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That circles back to money. Money can be used to shape cultural views which allows money to be made. Money keeps track of the 'score' but power is the real goal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that destroying capitalism isn't enough.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inceltown posted:

gently caress yeah, black and Hispanic and LGBTQ+ and poor people and all the combinations thereof and more can't have any culture, sweep that poo poo under the rug so we can feel cool and superior as we post and masturbate ourselves into a euphoric coma you loving imbecile

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress yeah, black and Hispanic and LGBTQ+ and poor people and all the combinations thereof and more can't have any culture, sweep that poo poo under the rug so we can feel cool and superior as we post and masturbate ourselves into a euphoric coma you loving imbecile

Yeah, I mean both the north and south continents when I say that and not white USA. :thumbsup:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I get that mass media is a bland shitshow designed by committee to extract the maximum amount of capital while designed to be as mind-numbing and inoffensive as possible while subtly (or not so subtly) pushing capitalistic/fascist/neoliberal narratives but when you ignore the fact that the people of America do have a culture and do have a story to tell you're creating a blank slate for them to impose those right-leaning narratives

America isn't alone in this you utter loving nitwit

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There are people other than straight white republicans and liberals in the USA

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

There are people other than straight white republicans and liberals in the USA

I'm not from the USA so your cultural exports don't really seem to represent that.

This is easily going to become a slapfight between people who basically agree about things so lets just deal with the fact that you're a screaming idiot and I'd be an oxymoron if I could get my hands on oxy so am just a regular moron.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inceltown posted:

I'm not from the USA so your cultural exports don't really seem to represent that.

This is easily going to become a slapfight between people who basically agree about things so lets just deal with the fact that you're a screaming idiot and I'd be an oxymoron if I could get my hands on oxy so am just a regular moron.

Not super-related, but close and it fits the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB_nX5chois

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Colonel Cancer posted:

The Machine Stops, I think? It's been posted in one of these threads before, good read.

Exactly, I forgot the name and couldn't find it

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

redleader posted:

they consider the second civil war and possible collapse of the country that would result if substantial gun control were implemented an unacceptable price to pay, because they're cowards

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Main Paineframe posted:

The article has a lot more in it than that. It also talks about how killing of the independent and small theatres is really going to hurt independent film and documentary makers who are often minorities or women. If there are only a couple entry points for filmmakers because Disney controls theatres, it's hard for new and minority voices to be heard.

It pointed of that Disney claimed 40% of ticket sales in 2018 and is likely to increase to 50% this year. They've brought back the practice of block booking, where in order to show a popular movie the theatre must show a total flop even if only a bare handful of people see it. It's a tactic designed to maximise the total number of screens showing Disney films and keep non-Disney films out of theatres as much as possible.

Once independent and small theatres go, what's the point of even trying to make movies and documentaries anymore unless you're already in Disney's stable working on the next Marvel/cgi reboot/save the cat script? As the article mentions, Disney bought out Hulu as well as having their own service, so they're going to have enormous control on what people can see. There aren't many places to rent movies anymore, and streaming services have cut back on pre-2000 content, so cultural waters are getting increasingly shallow and access to past culture increasingly difficult.

Enfys has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Oct 25, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In an age where legitimate purchases are themselves immoral, a good person pirates.

NPFDM = Never Pay For Disney Movies

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

because I dont live in america i basically have to pirate 90% of what I want to watch because it’s simply not available to purchase or watch legally.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

wow maybe it's as if we're a highly stratified society where only the ruling class is allowed to express opinions in the media, even the artistic niches

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Screaming Idiot posted:

you should both be ashamed of these posts

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

you should both be ashamed of these posts

Would regular shame that covers my post do because let me tell you about how I've got that covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Screaming Idiot made couple good posts in Warframe thread and I didn't know what to believe in anymore so I'm really glad that things are back to normal again

In other news, I have been reading Judge Dredd again and I'm happy to report that we are still not at the level of Mega City since Facebook doesn't have your purchase/credit card data and people don't cheer to the police as they routinely execute people on streets. On other hand, no UBI either.