Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
S04e05:

VIR YOU GLORIOUS 'INCAPABLE' BASTARD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I gotta wonder just what it was like for fans of Animal House who watched Babylon 5 when it was on its initial run.

"And the entire diplomatic staff to the Centauri ambassador is ... Flounder."

And then the whole march of Vir's character development.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vavrek posted:

I gotta wonder just what it was like for fans of Animal House who watched Babylon 5 when it was on its initial run.

"And the entire diplomatic staff to the Centauri ambassador is ... Flounder."

And then the whole march of Vir's character development.

It's all I can see with Steven Furst

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I can't get over with O'Hare is that every part of his S1 character arc is THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR MIND.

Like, that's the line he has to keep having shouted at him over and over, episode after episode, and it is literally true

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

This is probably the right answer. (s3 spoiler) the setups are almost identical. Both women were basically frontier adventurers. Both poked at the Shadows. The only difference between the two is that Sakai and Sinclair were split before she was lost.

That’s absolutely what it would have been.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Starting on S2 in my rewatch and I just noticed that Ivanova has a really clear :stare: when Sheridan says it's been two years since his last orange. You have to wonder how much that's "Wow, that's a long time with no oranges," and how much it's "Oh god, right, now I remember serving under this man before, I'm going to be hearing about loving oranges every day."

S2, mid-late spoiler: Given how much he talks about it being two years since his wife died, when he first really talks about that at length, I was struck by the fact that it's the same exact length of time since his last orange. Maybe he responded to grief by avoiding it, staying on his ship and at work (away from fruit), which would explain why it's still so raw for him when he confronts Morden.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vavrek posted:

Starting on S2 in my rewatch and I just noticed that Ivanova has a really clear :stare: when Sheridan says it's been two years since his last orange. You have to wonder how much that's "Wow, that's a long time with no oranges," and how much it's "Oh god, right, now I remember serving under this man before, I'm going to be hearing about loving oranges every day."

S2, mid-late spoiler: Given how much he talks about it being two years since his wife died, when he first really talks about that at length, I was struck by the fact that it's the same exact length of time since his last orange. Maybe he responded to grief by avoiding it, staying on his ship and at work (away from fruit), which would explain why it's still so raw for him when he confronts Morden.

That's a good catch and some good writing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Franklin: "Well, the human body's an amazing thing. It can cure itself or it can simply decide one day that the world is too painful to deal with and won't cooperate no matter how hard you try to heal it."

As I recall, Richard Biggs (Franklin's actor), died of an aortic dissection that just sort of ... happened, one day.

Babylon Curse :argh:

edit, unrelated: There's a Minbari woman from the warrior caste later in this episode and I gotta say I really dig the heavier, spikier bone crest look on her. I feel like all the other warrior caste we see are men.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 25, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vavrek posted:

IIRC Sheridan was basically shuffled off onto that ship and sent out into the hinterlands specifically to get rid of him. It wasn't a choice so much as being sent to coventry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

That's exactly what happened. And if you pay attention, you'll notice that Sheridan almost always has a bowl of oranges in his quarters.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This episode with the ISN special on Babylon 5 is really infuriating!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Oh, I was going to ask just where you were, because I have a thing to say, to keep in mind: The Illusion of Truth is S4E08, right? I won't say anything about the episode, but keep an eye out for S4E19: Intersections in Real Time. That was originally planned as the Season 4 finale, before the existence of Season 5 was thrown into serious doubt (the network B5 was on was going away) and JMS decided to compress the story by a few episodes.

Just, keep that in mind as you watch S4E19: This was supposed to be how Season 4 ended.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Fake News

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vavrek posted:

Oh, I was going to ask just where you were, because I have a thing to say, to keep in mind: The Illusion of Truth is S4E08, right? I won't say anything about the episode, but keep an eye out for S4E19: Intersections in Real Time. That was originally planned as the Season 4 finale, before the existence of Season 5 was thrown into serious doubt (the network B5 was on was going away) and JMS decided to compress the story by a few episodes.

Just, keep that in mind as you watch S4E19: This was supposed to be how Season 4 ended.

that would have been incredible

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TraderStav posted:

For our season 1 friend. I cannot believe how good the CGI is in season 4, irrespective of how bad it was in Season 1. With the nebula background and beautiful ships I think it may be surpassing Trek of the same era.

B5 from start to finish is just oozing that CGI feel before texturing is really a thing, but they were so bold from the start with what they were willing to do with their models. Star Trek special effects artists never even dream of cutting their ships in half, even after they went full CGI and didn't have to worry about ruining months of work. Cheap CGI also has a snowballing effect on shows that run for a while, where it gets better over time as they can reuse old models but still have the same budget to make new ones.

It's interesting how the spacebattles of B5 are a much more realistic affair without any energy shields. Just a bunch of missiles ramming directly into metal. I do think it's weird that there's no lifeboat deals to escape dying, exploding ships, but I guess it's more particles to animate. It would've been neat to see some plots about POWs or targeting survivors with weapons or negotiations over recovering survivors from battlefields.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting how the spacebattles of B5 are a much more realistic affair without any energy shields. Just a bunch of missiles ramming directly into metal. I do think it's weird that there's no lifeboat deals to escape dying, exploding ships, but I guess it's more particles to animate. It would've been neat to see some plots about POWs or targeting survivors with weapons or negotiations over recovering survivors from battlefields.

I think it fits better without them. When you see cruisers getting shot up it's not the slow slug fest. It's "pew pew pew now i'm dead"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually this comes up quite a bit. It's just dialogue or offscreen shuttle convoys rather than seeing pods jettisoning off the hull like in Star Trek.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually this comes up quite a bit. It's just dialogue or offscreen shuttle convoys rather than seeing pods jettisoning off the hull like in Star Trek.

Also remember that ships in Trek having shields means there's time to evacuate. In B5, once the hull is ruptured you're pretty much dead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jedit posted:

In B5, once the hull is ruptured you're pretty much dead.

The Expanse goes further into realism with this, in combat the crew puts on pressure suits and most ships depressurize to stop fires and explosive decompressions.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Patricia Tallman did a convention appearance in my town earlier today and I caught the latter part of her guest panel, had a few interesting stories, like her stunt double work in Jurassic Park and amazed everyone was at the bruises she got during the falling skeleton scene, or the concussion she got in a Dick Wolf movie of the week, or how Walter Koenig would troll her relentlessly, or how a married executive tanked her role reprisal after the pilot because she wouldn't sleep with him.

Pretty neat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Noted. These are definitely feeling like they are rushing toward an end here!

As we've discussed before, this is really prescient for our current time. Really left me unsettled.

SlothfulCobra posted:

B5 from start to finish is just oozing that CGI feel before texturing is really a thing, but they were so bold from the start with what they were willing to do with their models. Star Trek special effects artists never even dream of cutting their ships in half, even after they went full CGI and didn't have to worry about ruining months of work. Cheap CGI also has a snowballing effect on shows that run for a while, where it gets better over time as they can reuse old models but still have the same budget to make new ones.

I've always enjoyed the more 'raw' space battles that don't end up just being a light show. A projectile hitting huge slabs of metal is just much more terrifying and satisfying. THEN when they bust out the huge laser that takes a lot of energy to charge but it just scalpels ships up... So good.

I hadn't thought about the reason why Trek doesn't have more of that is because they're models versus CGI. I can understand why as that is a lot of work!

I wish they didn't do CGI for buildings and sets though. Aside from the Narn one (which is so simple it easily passes) they look really unnatural. Recent examples: PSI Corp HQ, ISN newsdesk, Minbar. The Centauri Prime one somehow looks good though

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sebmojo posted:

that would have been incredible

Should I drop the show at 04e19 then?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

TraderStav posted:

No no no no.

No.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Maybe for a day?

(no. god no.)

edit: On a personal note, dangit, I just realized I forgot to check for commentary tracks through my S1 rewatch.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 26, 2019

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

And Newtonian physics on the starfuries. My favorite bit is form S2E22 (Fall of night) when they fight the Centauri warship and some furies cut their engines, turn, and keep drive-by shooting the ship.
Senn here at 3:36:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GhW1dFDVs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RedSnapper posted:

And Newtonian physics on the starfuries. My favorite bit is form S2E22 (Fall of night) when they fight the Centauri warship and some furies cut their engines, turn, and keep drive-by shooting the ship.

It's entertaining how he specifically calls for a TOT strike but no one either advised the cgi team or explained what the term was.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I never liked that one because it's one of those "idiot ball" stories where the plot only works because everyone acts unrealistically stupid. There's no reason for them to trust that guy and every reason to think he's lying but they go ahead.

RedSnapper posted:

Also the Starfuries don't use engines to launch from the station, they just release their docking clamps and the rotation throws them out.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

RedSnapper posted:

This is probably one of my favourite scenes in the series. I really like how tense it is, and then it swiftly escalates into "oh this is bad", and caps off with "oh poo poo".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The weird part about that fight scene is that one of B5's spires gets snapped off, and you'd think that'd be important but it never comes up.

TraderStav posted:

I hadn't thought about the reason why Trek doesn't have more of that is because they're models versus CGI. I can understand why as that is a lot of work!

There's a behind the scenes clip of the making of Empire Strikes Back where they're setting up a scene where a snowspeeder gets shot and explodes, and it's so tense because it's a model packed with explosives sliding along a track, and they really needed to have the timing and camera focus right because if they messed it up, it'd take weeks to set up again.

It's really cool to take apart scenes in your head to figure out how they were made. You can do it with CGI too, you just need to shift your mindset.

The book of G'Quon must've been a real interesting prop to make.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The weird part about that fight scene is that one of B5's spires gets snapped off, and you'd think that'd be important but it never comes up.

They do show it getting repaired later.

Also as far as realism, and such JMS claims they had a sign up at JPL or NASA or something that said "Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 Problem." Man, I wish there was photographic evidence of that. :haw:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

interesting prop to make.

If I remember right it’s a cargo handling crane or something else that’s visually distinctive but fairly easy to replace.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Hell loving no watch it all.

You'll just see what we mean about a season ending when you get to that episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JMS making S4/S5 work out narratively was probably a bigger feat than recovering from O’Hare’s exit.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RedSnapper posted:

Two things I've always found notable about this scene are
1. That the biggest, nastiest Centauri warship we see during the course of the show gets its poo poo wrecked by a human diplomatic station and half a squadron of Starfuries
and 2. Despite that, I'm pretty sure that's by far the fastest we ever see B5's interceptor grid get overwhelmed.
Even though the Centauri Republic's not what it once was, their ships still carry a lot of firepower.

Also, Sheridan's speech to the mirror a bit later in the episode might be one of my favorite Sheridan moments ever because you know that that's what he was going to actually say.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polaron posted:

Two things I've always found notable about this scene are
1. That the biggest, nastiest Centauri warship we see during the course of the show gets its poo poo wrecked by a human diplomatic station and half a squadron of Starfuries
and 2. Despite that, I'm pretty sure that's by far the fastest we ever see B5's interceptor grid get overwhelmed.
Even though the Centauri Republic's not what it once was, their ships still carry a lot of firepower.

Also, Sheridan's speech to the mirror a bit later in the episode might be one of my favorite Sheridan moments ever because you know that that's what he was going to actually say.

This was after B5 got its major defensive upgrade, so it was now touting firepower and armor quite capable of fending off warships.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At least one other mitigating factor is that the Centauri warship was splitting its fire between the station and the Narn cruiser.

I also can't help but wonder if the Centauri warship was pulling its punches a bit on B5 and hoping Sheridan would back down, either not knowing the station got upgraded or not expecting it to open up.

Also do keep in mind that Sheridan still thinks the Centauri would severely outclass Earth Alliance in a shooting war.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mars Racing (first half of episode)

This beef between Sheridan and Gariabialdi is either being poorly done or is a show the two of them cooked up for some external purpose. Maybe to ingratiate Gariabialdi into some criminal element and infiltrate them. If it's real, it's dumb and unnecessary

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Mars Racing (first half of episode)

This beef between Sheridan and Gariabialdi is either being poorly done or is a show the two of them cooked up for some external purpose. Maybe to ingratiate Gariabialdi into some criminal element and infiltrate them. If it's real, it's dumb and unnecessary

Understanding is a three edged sword.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Understanding is a three edged sword.

Sounds like something a Vorlon would say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I always wanted to get one of the Kosh action figures, seal it up, and put the ink, polyhedron, and clear window from the popular fortune telling toy in it. You can’t tell me Magic 8 Kosh wouldn’t have flown off the shelves.