Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

You got something against novelty keys, buddy?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Look how good the graphics of dying light is guys.

Unparalleled realism.

Please stop trolling me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok, gather around for a story time. With the fallout 76 membership bonuses have brought some things to light for me. Before I talk about this, I want to talk about Elder Scrolls Online and its membership bonuses, specifically one bonus you get.

When ESO came out you were quite limited in bag space which made crafting very very very annoying to do. The game also had an optional monthly fee at the time which only gave you some store bucks each month and nothing else because the game was buy to play (sounds just like FO76). At one point they found a way to get people to always subscribe to the game. It was a magical feature they added to the subscription. It is called the crafting bag. It is an unlimited space bag which is shared across all characters on your account. It is the reason people are still subscribing to the game right now.

Raising crafting allows you to do crafting dailies(They are called crafting writs) in ESO, which are the best passive source of income in the game. Now that's not even the best part! It gets better! There are elite crafting dailies which require you to know how to craft every type of item in the game and the more you know, the more money you make. To do the daily it costs a large number of resources but it is possible to make it cost nothing because you are rewarded with a marginal amount of resources when you finish the daily. You multiply this per character you have at max level and you are making hundreds of thousands of gold a day and recovering all your costs in resources if you have enough characters(BUY MORE CHARACTER SLOTS BECOME THE RICH). People also do a strategy of crafting dailies where they do the lowest level of daily and still make a small passive profit. All of this is made easier through having a subscription and having access to the crafting bag.

Now when you look at the stash in FO76 and their new unlimited scrap storage with the 100 buck pass looks very familiar. I think it was planned from the start solely how similar it is to what happened in ESO. Or maybe they went to the ESO guys and they told them the secret of making people pay a monthly fee for unlimited storage. One of these things definitely happened, in my opinion.

Both these games might be freemium garbage dumps to only fool the rubes out of their schmeckles.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 25, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tenzarin is a compass that always points south. Useful for navigation if you know it's always wrong.

A broken clock possessed by a vengeful spirit that continuously changes the hands to never be right any time of day.

For real though what compels you to hold such strong convictions and want to share them in this, the fo76 hatepit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would love to hear your reasoning why you believe it is false.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Magmarashi posted:

I imagine the unlimited scrap bonus is tied to the 'only 8 people max to a server' limit, honestly.

Just like how in Simcity2013 they were doing so many calculations server side so the poop flowed through the sewer pipes right that no home PC could possibly run it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Except there's content in ESO. Like, places to go and things to do and a world to explore. And, y'know, the game works.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tenzarin posted:

I would love to hear your reasoning why you believe it is false.

ESO started out sub only and only went B2P like a year + after release for a rebranding which made the sub optional but with additional new perks for having a sub. while you can play the game without a sub to just do base game story stuff the sub has always been part of the business model cause its an mmo

craft bag wasnt even a thing until like 3-4 years into the games life and people crafted just fine before then

ESO isn't even made by bethesda

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Orv posted:

They might as well milk the idiots who have Stockholmed themselves into thinking the game is fun since they've utterly ruined any chance of bringing anyone else back.
I will always maintain Fallout 76 was extremely fun, but I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want this

Orv posted:

Hilariously it seems even those people can see through this one.
Oh, you already covered me

But I do not even have any specific philosophical opposition to giving developers of games I love extra money, and yet I still do not understand this

Also Dying Light is one of the best games of the decade and both Dead Island games were good too plus you can literally completely import your character from Dead Island into Dead Island: Riptide and everything but your equipment carries over, how totally RPG is that

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Riptide was really good. Shame they will never release dead island 2. I'd rather not talk about dead island 1, yikes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ETPC posted:

is age of decadence racist

No but it’s an incredibly hard game to recommend, even as someone who really enjoyed it.

There’s a lot of gotchas, especially in the character creator.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dead island was notable for being a survival game… But one of the characters special powers was, they would get mad and pull out some guns.

Also amazing is when it went from survival horror crafting to your first weapon that has poison fog damage.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the real gameplay in age of decadence is restarting each time you realize your entire build is nothing but trap skills

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You guys are gonna make me mad if you keep besmirching Age of Decadence!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I unironically love restarting rpgs over and over again until I find a build I like. I'll check it out.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I unironically love restarting rpgs over and over again until I find a build I like. I'll check it out.

don't try to make a jack of all trades in it is what i'll say. at least not until you've played through the game.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rodbeard posted:

lost count of how many times ive done the friendly arm inn, nashkel, gnoll stronghold blitz

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dying Light has been supported for the past 5 years and currently has a Left 4 Dead 2 event running, Valve may have forgotten about that series but Techland sure haven't.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Outer Worlds is so drat good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
from polygon

quote:

A Bethesda Softworks representative said that an update to private world settings will be coming soon, to allow players to control all access to their private servers. The company also examined the Scrap Box and private server recycling issues.

For Scrap Boxes, Bethesda said that “a small number of players with a large quantity of scrap are experiencing a display issue causing their Scrap Box to appear empty. " The studio thinks this is a user interface issue and that players have not lost any scrap; they should still be able to access it when crafting from workbenches, as usual.

Update, 11:40 p.m.: Bethesda Game Studios has continued to investigate the Scrap Box issue and now acknowledges it is more than a menu display problem for a small number of users.

“Our initial investigation indicated that this was a display issue, and that no items had gone missing,” a Bethesda representative told Polygon. “However, we have since found that a small number of players have in fact experienced a loss of scrap items after placing them into the Scrap Box and then loading into a world."

lol

regarding recycled servers, they claim that's not true. items and containers don't respawn because that's how all servers work for a character: server hopping doesn't refresh loot and containers.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Honestly, how much of Fallout 4 wasn't Radiant quests or Empty Settlements? And of what of the handmade content was memorable except for the excellent USS Constitution quest?

There's some minor tunnel system with a mine or similar that has a neat little story about some cursed dagger or similar. It's the only part where I felt the writing was getting a bit more interesting, so it was probably not made by the main writers.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
pretty much every story unconnected to the main plot in 4 was really well written or at least entertaining, its just deeply confusing why nothing related to the main plot of the game got this same level of polish or sheen.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Tenzarin posted:

Ok, gather around for a story time. With the fallout 76 membership bonuses have brought some things to light for me. Before I talk about this, I want to talk about Elder Scrolls Online and its membership bonuses, specifically one bonus you get.

When ESO came out you were quite limited in bag space which made crafting very very very annoying to do. The game also had an optional monthly fee at the time which only gave you some store bucks each month and nothing else because the game was buy to play (sounds just like FO76). At one point they found a way to get people to always subscribe to the game. It was a magical feature they added to the subscription. It is called the crafting bag. It is an unlimited space bag which is shared across all characters on your account. It is the reason people are still subscribing to the game right now.

Raising crafting allows you to do crafting dailies(They are called crafting writs) in ESO, which are the best passive source of income in the game. Now that's not even the best part! It gets better! There are elite crafting dailies which require you to know how to craft every type of item in the game and the more you know, the more money you make. To do the daily it costs a large number of resources but it is possible to make it cost nothing because you are rewarded with a marginal amount of resources when you finish the daily. You multiply this per character you have at max level and you are making hundreds of thousands of gold a day and recovering all your costs in resources if you have enough characters(BUY MORE CHARACTER SLOTS BECOME THE RICH). People also do a strategy of crafting dailies where they do the lowest level of daily and still make a small passive profit. All of this is made easier through having a subscription and having access to the crafting bag.

Now when you look at the stash in FO76 and their new unlimited scrap storage with the 100 buck pass looks very familiar. I think it was planned from the start solely how similar it is to what happened in ESO. Or maybe they went to the ESO guys and they told them the secret of making people pay a monthly fee for unlimited storage. One of these things definitely happened, in my opinion.

Both these games might be freemium garbage dumps to only fool the rubes out of their schmeckles.

does ESO feature a pip boy? the pip boy is obviously too much to ask but a pip boy seeks possible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mega64 posted:

Any word when Fallout 76 will be?
When we all finally accept the love of the Toddfather into our hearts

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Unlike fallout 76s garbage subscription at this point ESO plus actually gets you a ton of content aside from the craft bag. By the look of it the only ”content” that f76 poo poo service provides is a sex tent.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lord, please give me the strength to keep purchasing poo poo products due to their association with brands and/or companies that once had meaning to me. In the name of todd the father, casey hudson the son, and gabe the spirit, amen

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Valtonen posted:

Unlike fallout 76s garbage subscription at this point ESO plus actually gets you a ton of content aside from the craft bag. By the look of it the only ”content” that f76 poo poo service provides is a sex tent.

This thread is making me want to reinstall ESO actually

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If anyone is interested in trying out the terrible game that is fallout 76 on pc and wants access to a 99% unused acc with 2 characters under lvl 30 (obviously feel free to make your own) PM me. Once every 6-9 months I get the urge to try it and its fun for a few hours and then it gets very not fun and I regret the massive install.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Another Bill posted:

This thread is making me want to reinstall ESO actually

As someone who has played that game off and on since launch, and recommends it to everyone who asks, it's hilarious to me that we've gone full circle from "It's not Bethesda, it's not going to be as good as their stuff." to "It's not Bethesda, so you know it's better then their schlock."

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cutedge posted:

Wait, I'm out of the loop... is The Outer Worlds political?

POLITICS
IN
MY
VIDEO
GAMES?

Let me tell about my man Zizek.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Berke Negri posted:

the real gameplay in age of decadence is restarting each time you realize your entire build is nothing but trap skills

just lol if you ever completed age of decadence without consoling in a hundred skill points and still hosed up the quest in the poisoned district of the big city

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

age of decadence suffers from the same decisions many rpgs make - they make your baseline competency almost zero

want to tie your shoes? well even though you're an adult, you didn't put any points into shoelace tying so you won't get that option. You cant ask a friend for help because you failed the charisma check. you can't read a book on it because 'child's guide to knot-tying' requires 2 points of reading comprehension and you only have one.

you can't do the obvious choices or anything neat, other than what you funnel points into

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just buy the velcro sandals

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know anything about age of decadence. But the funny thing is that disco elysium leans in hard to that decision but the failure itself is usually funny/interesting/causes even more chaos awkwardness ambiguity and confusion, so it becomes one of the things that helps make it one of the glorious clusterfucks of all time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ITT we talk about all the coolest RPGs and the intricacies of how they are designed, with a todd sideshow to laugh and spit at if we get bored

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even though ya'll are talking some poo poo about what is GREAT game... I'm glad to see this many people actually played it. I want Colony Ship to be completed.

Talking about Age of Decadence here, not Failout.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

age of decadence suffers from the same decisions many rpgs make - they make your baseline competency almost zero

want to tie your shoes? well even though you're an adult, you didn't put any points into shoelace tying so you won't get that option. You cant ask a friend for help because you failed the charisma check. you can't read a book on it because 'child's guide to knot-tying' requires 2 points of reading comprehension and you only have one.

you can't do the obvious choices or anything neat, other than what you funnel points into

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
[Intelligence] So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Chomp8645 posted:

[Intelligence] So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this seems ludicrous because F76 is kind of the endpoint of taking out everything enjoyable about Fallout and you can kind of see the trajectory from when they took over the franchise but 4 is absolutely better than 3. They both have the same problems (stripped down choices and reactivity, very little meaningful RPG skill checks and stupid writing, a dumb main quest) but 4 does most of the good things better? It's just nostalgia talking.

I think its because FNV is much better than both and 3 gets some credit for being part of that era before Todd ruined Fallout by putting minecraft in it or whatever but the vampire family, the original ending where Fawkes tells you to eat poo poo, that DLC that added albino radscorpions with literally like 100k hit points and the Zeta DLC are worse than anything in F4 :colbert:

No way Jose, 3 is “better” because it pretty good for a first try at making a first person Fallout game. 4 is worse because it is their second try and all they apparently learned since three was “make three again but somehow more bland, add building houses out of trash”.