Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
for the folks who don't haunt the shoujo thread
https://twitter.com/etranger_anime/status/1187504087597584384?s=20

(added official tweet)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Who would have thought a show about a Tennis club would be so drat dark.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
let me tell you about sports anime my man

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK I will watch the tennis anime.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
thank you for choosing teekyuu

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Expect My Mom posted:

let me tell you about sports anime my man

To be fair, that's about one if the most violent sports ever conceived by man. So dark poo poo happening is expected.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUP2w-2F63Q

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

doomrider7 posted:

To be fair, that's about one if the most violent sports ever conceived by man. So dark poo poo happening is expected.
any story about sports will involve human beings training and torturing their own imperfect bodies in pursuit of some dream known only to them. this combined with whatever history and baggage they're bringing to the table makes sport stories fundamentally more emotional and dark

for me anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

saki is a sports manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
indeed

sports shows are art

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nothing in the first three episodes of gundam rerise is really good enough to recommend unless you're like, incredibly optimistic

the animation quality is okay with nothing that resembles interesting action choreography. the characters are incredibly one-note and have no dynamic because they're a randomly formed mmo party. half of that party is dour silent types. obviously there is room for it to improve but i feel like going past three or so episodes is a mark of viewer generosity rather than show quality

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

nothing in the first three episodes of gundam rerise is really good enough to recommend unless you're like, incredibly optimistic

the animation quality is okay with nothing that resembles interesting action choreography. the characters are incredibly one-note and have no dynamic because they're a randomly formed mmo party. half of that party is dour silent types. obviously there is room for it to improve but i feel like going past three or so episodes is a mark of viewer generosity rather than show quality

It's mostly because of how bad the original divers was. Expectations were remarkably low, to the point where "eh" is a huge improvement.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't want to fully assume that but yeah, it's the vibe i got and it made me really dislike the current discussion of the show

i did not sit through build divers and see myself doing the same for this, would recommend the same for anyone else who is unsure after the first few eps like i was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

literally the first scene of the forth episode is pretty great, and they're setting up actually explaining a character's back story next episode, which should advance characterization

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat, can't wait for that sweet improved characterization that is definitely coming in ep5!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As of the first 3 episodes at least, it hasn't even been very wow cool robot. Two are piloted by scrubs and have done nothing, one is just kinda there but is a wisdom so that's cool, and the main one has really only shown its fundamental gimmick once.

Also Harukana Receive is a sports show and is good and positive, and Hanebado is good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

didn't want to fully assume that but yeah, it's the vibe i got and it made me really dislike the current discussion of the show

i did not sit through build divers and see myself doing the same for this, would recommend the same for anyone else who is unsure after the first few eps like i was.
They seem like sports shows that are just bad sports shows.

They dont grasp the drama and character dynamica that make sports shows exciting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Expect My Mom posted:

any story about sports will involve human beings training and torturing their own imperfect bodies in pursuit of some dream known only to them. this combined with whatever history and baggage they're bringing to the table makes sport stories fundamentally more emotional and dark

for me anyway

True, but few of those are about sports where the point of the training is to inflict serious(and potentialy lethal)harm on another living being that gives it an added level of viscerality that will always be present. Your point still stands though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

They seem like sports shows that are just bad sports shows.

They dont grasp the drama and character dynamica that make sports shows exciting.

well the Build Divers stuff is unmistakably just MMO playing, but they don't seem to be able to consistently nail what's fun/good about that either. Divers Rerise is adding isekai to the pot so i'm skeptical they can wrangle the writing any better having added more in. regular Build def dropped off with Try where they absolutely failed to build enough strong characters (while sidelining anyone good) but i still have fond memories of base Build.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im only interested in the greatest sport of all, murder

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm convinced that WaDom is gonna transform

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i wish they would go back to the sports framework cause as bad as try was, it wasn’t as dull and lifeless as divers

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what's the opposite of a fist pump because i did a lot of that when the big duel at the end of divers once again was little more than colored lines streaking through the air bouncing off each other

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patware posted:

what's the opposite of a fist pump because i did a lot of that when the big duel at the end of divers once again was little more than colored lines streaking through the air bouncing off each other

Given the quality of animation towards the end, I think both the audience and studio had given up on Build Divers by the final stretch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Build Divers Redrive is mostly average but Captain Zeon having a kit bash fusion of Char's Zaku and a Gundam is enough to keep me watching

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

As of the first 3 episodes at least, it hasn't even been very wow cool robot.

Ep4 had a WaDom DBZ spike kicking a Baund Doc to the ground then killing it by crushing its head with a jet-assisted inazuma kick, at least.

That's been the only good bit so far, though, because the show is aggressively mediocre. Given that only the first Build show was good and the other two were garbage, I don't have high hopes for this one.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All this sports anime talk got me skimwatching Megalo Box and I just realized the final fight is 13 rounds and the series is 13 episodes. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it definitely leans in the Ashita no Joe lore if it's about that unlucky number.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GITS animated like himote house

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Episode 1 of Chihayafuru felt rushed. The little recap of the three main characters and the rules of karuta at the start was nice, but after that it the pacing was all over the place. It also feels weird to start in the middle of an arch after such a long absence.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Everything Burrito posted:

wow I would not have expected this one

http://uramichi-anime.com/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megalobox was good and the ending was good too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Megalobox was good and the ending was good too.

:yeah:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I made a thread for Stars Align!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:toot:

quote:

Hoshiai no Sora
8-bit | Kazuki Akane | Kazuki Akane | Slice of Life, Sports, Drama, School | Original | Oct 11, 2019
The teen adolescence story revolves around the coming-of-age of boys in a junior high school's soft tennis club, which is on the verge of shutting down. Touma Shinjou asks Maki Katsuragi to join the team for his vaunted abilities, and mentions a summer competition. Katsuragi asks for money in return for joining the team.
PV
Thread

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Julias posted:

I have to say, you guys seem split evenly on whether this will be good or trash :v:

I will say, while the cg isn't very detailed, it looks fluid enough to make me think it's an intentional design aesthetic as opposed to a lack of effort-whether that looks good or not is more of a subjective choice. I think it looks alright, and I can see this style being beneficial in animating intense action scenes while still making them read cleanly for the viewer.

I have no strong emotional attachment to the franchise though, so I'm rather neutral on how they approach any new adaptations of GitS.

Fluid enough not to have any single piece of vegetation move a millimeter with the wind.

Honestly, I noticed that thanks to a youtube comment and sure enough there's clearly wind in the audio but plants are as static as they get.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I relate to him alot and glad there will be an anime now.

Meanwhile, I watched 3 ep of Babylon and I think I'm going to stop now. It had an interesting idea for 1st ep but then I felt dumber after completing ep 3.

I only have time for one dumb detective show a season v:v:v

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new Saezuru pv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NB654QzFhY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat, that's an epic premise