Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I spent a bunch of time squinting at the sprue, and I think you're right that it isn't there. However, looking at the shadowspear helix adept, the multitool on the left hand looks pretty similar to the one for the comm guy, and the only other distinguishing feature is the larger pouch. I think you could convert the adept out of the standard kit without too much difficulty.

Odd decision by GW though.

If true, I'm not a fan. Units like Gravis Captains and Primaris Ancients are already locked behind a $160 box set, and now it looks like they're withholding functionality from multipart kits to support box set exclusivity. If GW wants eBay box splitters to become the official retailer of GW products, this is how you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Seldom Posts posted:

This is really helpful thanks. The big bunny ears thing is exactly what I was wondering about. My plan is to use the bodies from the regular CSM kit with the heads and weapons from the Blood dudes, so that should, in a fittingly expensive GW manner, solve the other problems.

Before you buy a whole box of AoS blood warriors, try ebay for bitz resellers.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Before you buy a whole box of AoS blood warriors, try ebay for bitz resellers.

Good point, thanks.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They're like the perfect Chaos cultists for 40K too. I love how flexible the Necromunda range is.

It's pretty impressive, orlock is not the only gang I wand.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are Primaris marines better than regular Astartes in every way now? Because I see that there's some Salamanders-specific stuff and I kinda want to take up model painting again.

I suppose a hookup to the Discord channel would be appreciated. Since the link is being kept a secret, my Discord User name is: Star Man#4508

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 25, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Star Man posted:

Are Primaris marines better than regular Astartes in every way now? Because I see that there's some Salamanders-specific stuff and I kinda want to take up model painting again.

Most ways. The only thing that the old school Marines have going for them is heavy and special weapons mixed into your squads, Scouts, and easy Deep Strike in Drop Pods, with Jump Packs, or as Terminators. But Primaris have twice as many wounds, twice as many attacks, and better guns (excepting some of the special and heavy types).

And they generally don't cost twice as much as old school Marines do. :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish they'd give terminators another wound. Really they should have a 4+ for two wounds. Let me have fun with my wolf guard, game.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

JBP posted:

I wish they'd give terminators another wound. Really they should have a 4+ for two wounds. Let me have fun with my wolf guard, game.

Yeah, as it is they're so underwhelming compared to the fluff. That would help make them a better troops choice for Grey Knights too.

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 25, 2019

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
i've been trying to make a RG/IF list for ages but have been out of the scene for some time and now I find they're hot poo poo after a new codex or something. i'm not sure if i can bring myself to use those ugly centurion models but got drat does it seem OP.

Is anyone running a similar list or seen any I can peruse for some inspiration? I wanna run stealthy phobos boys and scary IF sit on this objective forever boys. I checked out the Goonhammer stuff on the new updates which was great but struggled to combine both lists into something usable.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

That was the argument from 7th to 8th ed, and they got an extra wound in the transition. Plus a relative points drop.

Not saying that makes them fantastic by any means. Right now they just lack a role, especially up against Primaris who basically clown them at everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering rumors about 9th ed has started appearing it's time to make that argument again I suppose.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Considering rumors about 9th ed has started appearing it's time to make that argument again I suppose.

My skully GW store opening exclusive terminator chaplain is waiting with bated breath for an excuse to make a terminator-heavy army. I secretly hope it happens before I'm inspired to make a dark apostle in terminator armor, or a black legion sorcerer out of him.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
As a new player who is still just learning AdMech I feel like intercessors are like, the least scary unit I could see on a tabletop. They don't really seem to do that much from range and they seem way overcosted for how much they can bring you. They soak a lot of wounds I guess but there's also a lot of things that deal 2 damage that just chew through them. I dunno I don't feel like Primaris are threatening at all, at least when I've played against them.

But when that block of 30 tzaangors teleports into my line and charges me turn 1 I feel fear.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boing posted:

As a new player who is still just learning AdMech I feel like intercessors are like, the least scary unit I could see on a tabletop. They don't really seem to do that much from range and they seem way overcosted for how much they can bring you. They soak a lot of wounds I guess but there's also a lot of things that deal 2 damage that just chew through them. I dunno I don't feel like Primaris are threatening at all, at least when I've played against them.

But when that block of 30 tzaangors teleports into my line and charges me turn 1 I feel fear.

A lot of factions struggle in the options for easily accessible 2 damage weapons that don't have massive points tax or relic's attached to them.

Tzaangor bombs are trouble for just about everyone, except maybe Tau.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Boing posted:

Intercessors aren't about doing damage, though. They're the guys you stick on an objective or use to screen your tanks. The soaking wounds and fulfilling mandatory Troops choices is why you get them. Scouts can do the job cheaper, but Intercessors last longer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has anybody assembled Celestine? The version with the wings? Everything seems to slot except for the skull and halo bit onto her backpack which according to the instructions you just kinda... slap on?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for the advice on working with yellow. Some of it I couldn't do this on this squad (they were already primed and base coated), but I tried doing even thinner coats on the top yellow layer and I think it really ended up working nicely by the time I got to the sergeant. Anyway, here's my first squad of Imperial Fists, ready for duty (minus basing)!

(The ones at either end are the ones that used contrast paint, and I didn't really want to redo them; I think they ended up decent at least.)

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dawgstar posted:

Has anybody assembled Celestine? The version with the wings? Everything seems to slot except for the skull and halo bit onto her backpack which according to the instructions you just kinda... slap on?

The newest one? I just assembled her a few days ago. The skull has a wire with a nub on it, and there is a little slot in the backpack for the nub.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I was aiming for "let's experiment with purple" and instead ended up with "LA Lakers"

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad you liked my mini.

Why does everything chaos seem to be Nurgle and Thousand Sons? I really want to paint some noise marines but paying 30$ a model for the commemorative guitar noise marine is a little prohibitive. Spell Crow makes some cool bits with the sweet guitar guns so I guess I'll do that.

Also the old daemonette models looked so much better, multi-boobness aside

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nurgle and Tzeentch are the only Chaos gods that have gotten love in the form of Marines. Slaanesh recently got some new daemons. I think Khorne only got a daemon character and some doggos.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Diabeesting posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad you liked my mini.

Why does everything chaos seem to be Nurgle and Thousand Sons? I really want to paint some noise marines but paying 30$ a model for the commemorative guitar noise marine is a little prohibitive. Spell Crow makes some cool bits with the sweet guitar guns so I guess I'll do that.

Also the old daemonette models looked so much better, multi-boobness aside

Nurgle and Tzeench getting the focus over Khorne and Slaanesh is... probably due to a confluence of factors?

Age of Sigmar launched in 2015, and its starter box and early unit releases were all about the new Stormcast Eternals vs. Khorne warriors, and up until that point Khorne had always been the most prominent of the Ruinous Powers and remains the one with the greatest cultural cachet -- folks who can't tell a Space Marine from a StarCraft Firebat have heard "Blood for the blood god." It's possible the decision to go with Nurgle for the 8th Edition launch in 2016 was just a matter of not wanting to look like they were repeating themselves by launching a major new release with SF red blood spikey warriors as the villains the year after launching a major new release with fantasy red blood spikey warriors as the villains. Meanwhile, the Thousand Sons and Tzeench had just gotten a full model range, including the new Lord of Change/Kairos Fateweaver and Magnus the Red figures, the previous year, as part of the whole War Zone Fenris: Curse of the Wulfen/Wrath of Magnus duology thing.

Slaanesh, meanwhile, was sort of being dowplayed -- he wasn't even one of the major Ruinous Powers in Age of Sigmar, having been chained up in some void somewhere and with the Horned Rat kinda taking his place as the fourth major Chaos God. The common speculation at the time was that GW was phasing Slaanesh out because they didn't want Sex Fiend Demon prominent in their GW stores where parents left their kids to browse and play games at the shop tables, and while this clearly isn't the case now, the modern take on Slaanesh is way less Sex Fiend Demon than he was perceived to be back then. And also great; I mean, I'm not complaining, the new Daemons of Slaanesh are really cool. But they feel like someone might have taken a lot of time to ensure they came out right, without being exploitative/objectionable, and that'd explain why they're so recent.

Meanwhile, the Age of Sigmar launch was not super well received, with a lot of complaints about poor rules and the visual monotony of Roided Up Golden Thunder Knights vs. Roided Up Red Slaughter Barbarians, and GW has left Khorne relatively fallow, as a source for villain minis, ever since the General's Handbook/soft Age of Sigmar relaunch that seemed to seek to undo the errors of its initial launch in the eyes of a lot of their customers.

I am personally expecting that a) yes, we'll get 40k 9th edition in two to three years, if only because the only edition of 40k to last longer than five years was Rogue Trader and that only lasted six years and 8th Edition came out three years ago, so, really, it'll be due by then, and b) when that happens, it'll probably get launched via another big Dark Imperium-style boxed set that will have Space Marines vs. a villain army that falls in the center of a Venn diagram of the following three traits:

1) Cultural cachet
2) Strongly villainous in a somewhat conventionally "cool" way that will catch non-players' eyes, and
3) Poorly served by the existing model range, so that existing players will also be excited by it

And the only armies I can think of that fit all those criteria are World Eaters and Orks. Drukhari are fine, Eldar need new troops but aren't villainous enough to carry a new edition launch opposite Space Marines, the Tyranid models are old as poo poo but still look great, etc. And while I would like to see GW launch an entire edition with a big shiny boxed set with cover art that proudly promises Space Marines vs. hot pink hair metal, I don't think they're gonna.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Most ways. The only thing that the old school Marines have going for them is heavy and special weapons mixed into your squads, Scouts, and easy Deep Strike in Drop Pods, with Jump Packs, or as Terminators. But Primaris have twice as many wounds, twice as many attacks, and better guns (excepting some of the special and heavy types).

And they generally don't cost twice as much as old school Marines do. :shrug:

They still can't fit primarus into drop pods? I know they really want you to buy the new stuff but that's just lame. Drop podding is so drat cool even though it sucks quite horribly in game.

Edit:vvvv I did not know that, no one around here uses them and the only astartes army I have are The Thousand Sons who I have only played one game with. I kinda lost interest when I started and failed to paint their usual painting scheme. I need to think up a different scheme that I can actually do without too much issue, bloody yellow.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 25, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cainer posted:

They still can't fit primarus into drop pods? I know they really want you to buy the new stuff but that's just lame. Drop podding is so drat cool even though it sucks quite horribly in game.

Drop pods own now.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Getting ready for my first tournament after the codex dropped. I had 65 points to spare, so I added an old tactical squad, but except that it's all painted over the past year. Really excited to play a fully painted army.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Getting ready for my first tournament after the codex dropped. I had 65 points to spare, so I added an old tactical squad, but except that it's all painted over the past year. Really excited to play a fully painted army.

I'm the intercessor on the left who turned around around right as the camera was going off.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Congrats, if my friend actually collects an army rather than kill team I'm probably going to go back and touch up whatever my army at those points levels is. I think I need a couple of wyvern though because they look awesome in 8e but took up a valuable leman russ slot when I played in 5e.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Awesome work. A great achievement.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Great job. This is how you do it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This is supposedly GW's release list for the rest of 2019. The rumour is that it was sent to a South American distributor who has to order much further in advance. The Coming Soon article on Sunday should prove or disprove it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Interesting that they have a Blackstone Fortress Annual. Also two more PA releases seems surprisingly fast.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Cooked Auto posted:

Interesting that they have a Blackstone Fortress Annual. Also two more PA releases seems surprisingly fast.

Yeah, I'm curious about that and the kill team items. Not sure if it's a campaign/tournament kit, or a placeholder name for new products.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Can't remember who it was that brought up the issue of Ork leadership in Apocalypse, but GW just fixed it with a short FAQ!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/an-apocalyptic-updategw-homepage-post-1/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/apocalypse_errata_ver_1.0_en.pdf

There's also a bunch of updated datasheets to cover new units from the last few months, and some old ones. So far I've noticed Shrikes & Sky-rippers were added to the FW Tyranid pdf.

https://warhammer40000.com/apocalypse/datasheets/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Good see that Apoc wasn't a one off thing and they're still planning to do some support to it.

Contingency posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about that and the kill team items. Not sure if it's a campaign/tournament kit, or a placeholder name for new products.

I'd assume its a collection of WD and other stuff into one book. Like the Necromunda books.

Although the White Dwarf apocrypha looks mighty interesting as well.

Also GW has apparently realized there is a market for wash pot holders considering they're releasing their own.
No idea what the 6 pack painting handles are though. The Spray stick is obviously the selfie stick equivalent for painters. :cheeky:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Can't remember who it was that brought up the issue of Ork leadership in Apocalypse, but GW just fixed it with a short FAQ!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/an-apocalyptic-updategw-homepage-post-1/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/apocalypse_errata_ver_1.0_en.pdf

There's also a bunch of updated datasheets to cover new units from the last few months, and some old ones. So far I've noticed Shrikes & Sky-rippers were added to the FW Tyranid pdf.

https://warhammer40000.com/apocalypse/datasheets/

Feirros makes everyone nearby get a +1 to saves up to 4+. That's huge.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Cooked Auto posted:

Good see that Apoc wasn't a one off thing and they're still planning to do some support to it.

I'd assume its a collection of WD and other stuff into one book. Like the Necromunda books.

Although the White Dwarf apocrypha looks mighty interesting as well.

Also GW has apparently realized there is a market for wash pot holders considering they're releasing their own.
No idea what the 6 pack painting handles are though. The Spray stick is obviously the selfie stick equivalent for painters. :cheeky:

That makes sense--for KT and BF, there's a lot of missions/datasheets that have been published in the past year. I think that's the most likely explanation for the "Annual" products.
The KT OP pack 5 though, I'm not sure what that is. There's been more then 4 killzones released, and only 2 supplements (ok, 4 if you count Arena and Rogue Trader). OP could be Organized Play, or shorthand for Operations. Might be a tournament kit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

imperialparadox posted:

The newest one? I just assembled her a few days ago. The skull has a wire with a nub on it, and there is a little slot in the backpack for the nub.

Yeah, that's the bit I was missing. Between that and gluing her head into her hair I think she was a bit too complicated a model for a newbie. Painting and priming hides lots of sins, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cainer posted:

Edit:vvvv I did not know that, no one around here uses them and the only astartes army I have are The Thousand Sons who I have only played one game with. I kinda lost interest when I started and failed to paint their usual painting scheme. I need to think up a different scheme that I can actually do without too much issue, bloody yellow.

Primaris still can't Drop Pod. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a Primaris-only Drop Pod variant coming down the pike. They've been expanding the Primaris range to cover things that old school Marines can do that Primaris can't. Eliminators give you Primaris Snipers, Repulsors are their Land Raiders, Impulsor is the Razorback, etc. Given how iconic the Steel Rain is, I can't imagine they'll not make a Primaris version (probably with better guns as with all Primaris gear) sooner or later.

But for now, Drop Pods are old school only. Which is good for the lil guys because...

JBP posted:

Drop pods own now.

Specifically, Drop Pods ignore the Tactical Reserves rule that prevents turn one Deep Strikes. Since only old school basic power armor dudes can fit in one, it leads to some interesting Deep Strike, Shoot, and Charge on turn one tactics. In particular, Iron Hand Multi-Melta Devastator Squads or a Custom Salamander Successor Chapter with Long Range Marksmen for the +3" range Heavy Flamer/Combi-Flamer Sternguard :supaburn: :flame: leap out as big winners for a turn one suicide Deep Strike. There are other options as well.

For that matter, while GW specifically FAQ'ed that Drop Pods still have to abide by the "arrive by turn three or die" part of the Tactical Reserves rule, they didn't also FAQ out immunity from the "half your army must start on the table" part of the rule. Which means that units in Drop Pods don't count towards "half your army" that are off board. Which, in turn, means if you have a bunch of other stuff that can also Deep Strike (like Terminators or Jump Pack guys of various variety, say) you can keep nearly all your army off the board. You wouldn't want to keep everything off, of course, since that would be an instant loss from being tabled, but maybe a couple of Scout Squads hidden in buildings or a Thunderfire or two behind blocking terrain then dump everything else on turn two wherever you want? Could be interesting.... :hmmorks:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

jng2058 posted:

Primaris still can't Drop Pod. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a Primaris-only Drop Pod variant coming down the pike. They've been expanding the Primaris range to cover things that old school Marines can do that Primaris can't. Eliminators give you Primaris Snipers, Repulsors are their Land Raiders, Impulsor is the Razorback, etc. Given how iconic the Steel Rain is, I can't imagine they'll not make a Primaris version (probably with better guns as with all Primaris gear) sooner or later.

But for now, Drop Pods are old school only. Which is good for the lil guys because...

Specifically, Drop Pods ignore the Tactical Reserves rule that prevents turn one Deep Strikes. Since only old school basic power armor dudes can fit in one, it leads to some interesting Deep Strike, Shoot, and Charge on turn one tactics. In particular, Iron Hand Multi-Melta Devastator Squads or a Custom Salamander Successor Chapter with Long Range Marksmen for the +3" range Heavy Flamer/Combi-Flamer Sternguard :supaburn: :flame: leap out as big winners for a turn one suicide Deep Strike. There are other options as well.

For that matter, while GW specifically FAQ'ed that Drop Pods still have to abide by the "arrive by turn three or die" part of the Tactical Reserves rule, they didn't also FAQ out immunity from the "half your army must start on the table" part of the rule. Which means that units in Drop Pods don't count towards "half your army" that are off board. Which, in turn, means if you have a bunch of other stuff that can also Deep Strike (like Terminators or Jump Pack guys of various variety, say) you can keep nearly all your army off the board. You wouldn't want to keep everything off, of course, since that would be an instant loss from being tabled, but maybe a couple of Scout Squads hidden in buildings or a Thunderfire or two behind blocking terrain then dump everything else on turn two wherever you want? Could be interesting.... :hmmorks:

The units in a drop pod are exempt, but the units on the battlefield aren't. Since tactical reserves apply to every unit that isn't excluded, if you don't have 1000 points on the board out of 2000, you don't have a legal setup. That said, if you place a single drop pod on the battlefield during setup, you could totally run it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Anyone going to Japan, or know anyone going to Japan, who can snag me the Space Marine Heroes Series 3 paint set? Failing that, the set of 6 marines? I'm trying to avoid paying $70+ on Ebay if possible.