Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pay bands are relevant insofar as they will affect future compensation. If the company is telling you straight up that your future compensation is going to be limited, plan for that actually being the case.

They may bend or break the internal rules for a good external candidate but the odds of them doing it for an employee is a lot lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

Pay bands are relevant insofar as they will affect future compensation. If the company is telling you straight up that your future compensation is going to be limited, plan for that actually being the case.

They may bend or break the internal rules for a good external candidate but the odds of them doing it for an employee is a lot lower.

The odds are zero in my experience.

The other thing is pay bands can be fair. Not always just some low numbers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spwrozek posted:

The odds are zero in my experience.

The other thing is pay bands can be fair. Not always just some low numbers.

Now that we're a big boy public company we use Radford pay bands. If you apply and want more than that I probably can't give it to you, because the position was opened for a specific level and you are above that. There are no hard feelings, any my only recourse is stealing from my other headcount reqs or begging for more budget after the headcount budget was already set.

I'm not saying this is optimal - it's far from it. But it's typical of how many places are run once they are big enough. It's far from the first time I've experienced this.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Eric the Mauve posted:

Job B looks better on paper but you will hate it. It's not worth $7K and 100% remote (which if you haven't done it before you will probably quickly discover is very overrated) over Job A. Also Job A sounds way way better for networking opportunities, and networking isn't everything, it's the only thing.

I wouldn't consider Job B unless it was 25% more compensation minimum. (I would definitely use the offer to try to get Job A to improve their offer, though.)

Old Company's offer is only a tiny improvement over what you currently make (sounds like they know what you're currently making, actually) and I personally would not jump for such a small bump. I'd tell them thanks for reaching out but I like my current role and that's not nearly good enough an offer to convince me to jump back.

Your posts still give the vibe that you'd really prefer to jump back though, so maybe you're weighting things in a different way than I am.

Why would you say that remote is overrated? I was thinking about moving away from my current area and that kind of job would allow me to do it, or at least I'd hoped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i have found a few challenges with remote working:

1) i am a social worker and being able to discuss ideas, concepts, problems etc openly with colleagues in an informal way helps me make better decisions
2) i am a social worker and stimulus of human interaction is important to my mental health/job satisfaction
3) it is hard to divide work time and space from personal time and space - it's possible but may involve costs and certainly requires a high degree of discipline
4) lots of folks make new friends at work and if you are moving to a new area you have closed off this avenue
5) your management may not trust that you are doing your job
6) you may be closed off from advancement opportunities
7) you can't network

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
To be clear KYOON is a consultant, not a social worker. He means that socializing with other people is important to his work.

I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be clear KYOON is a consultant, not a social worker. He means that socializing with other people is important to his work.

I think.

yes, my working style is social

shameful consultant that can't communicate worth poo poo

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That's how I took it.

I worked remotely as well and + 1 most of that.

Don't get me wrong, it's really nice being able to work remote some of the week and as needed for life but 100% remote wasn't my favorite.

Oh update for the negotiation thread:

I bought a car over the weekend and for the first time felt like I got a fair deal. We did good prep, figured out a strong batna and managed to not blow it in the conversations with the dealer by giving a way any key info.

It was also easier having done the practice cases, more accustomed to sitting across the table.

I still wouldn't call myself a "good" negotiator, like zero natural gifts, but I've improved *a ton* through practice and study. You can too!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

To answer the question most succinctly, the problem with 100% remote is it severely handicaps your networking and that is career death.

But if you're an ultra-introverted goon who is never going to network regardless, and you have enough self discipline to do your work every day before gaming and shitposting on the Something Awful Forums, then sure it's fine, by all means take a 100% remote job if you're happy with the money.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 21, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I emailed back and forth with the internal recruiter for the local company I want to interview with. I gave him a relevant time range (before and after work), and he suggested a phone interview time that was just outside of it (when I normally would get to work). I asked if we could move the time so that it would be back in the range (half an hour before work), and he agreed without any pushback. Aside from it just being more convenient for me, I felt like it was important to insist on my boundaries. Was I right to do so? I imagine that if he'd say "no, HOW DARE YOU?!" that would be a good indication I want nothing to do with that company, but am I sending a message that I am too inflexible?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I emailed back and forth with the internal recruiter for the local company I want to interview with. I gave him a relevant time range (before and after work), and he suggested a phone interview time that was just outside of it (when I normally would get to work). I asked if we could move the time so that it would be back in the range (half an hour before work), and he agreed without any pushback. Aside from it just being more convenient for me, I felt like it was important to insist on my boundaries. Was I right to do so? I imagine that if he'd say "no, HOW DARE YOU?!" that would be a good indication I want nothing to do with that company, but am I sending a message that I am too inflexible?

No you’re fine.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Jordan7hm posted:

No you’re fine.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
you know how you act when you deal with clients? Like on your best behaviour, dot Is and cross ts, try to make them successful while maximizing your own value?

That’s the company trying to hire you.

You are the client.

If at any point you don’t feel like the client, you are doing it wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jordan7hm posted:

No you’re fine.

Tim Thomas posted:

you know how you act when you deal with clients? Like on your best behaviour, dot Is and cross ts, try to make them successful while maximizing your own value?

That’s the company trying to hire you.

You are the client.

If at any point you don’t feel like the client, you are doing it wrong.

That's a good way of looking at it, thanks!

A bigger issue: previous times when I've looked for work I was very open about it with people who could be relevant references. Obviously this time I'm looking for an offer before even deciding to give notice or informing my current employer to give them a chance to match it, so I can't use people from my job, which I've worked at for several years now. Are they going to ask for references? What's the way to go about it if they do? Does it matter that their recruiter got in touch with me to begin with?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How would handle this situation of negotiating for (significantly) more pay if I've already been offered the position via email and the starting salary is in writing? Some details.

- The role I'm being offered is the position I personally want the most out of all the ones I'm considering.
- It's about ~5k lower than where I need it to be (they don't need to know that, though).
- Other positions I'm currently pursuing but am less further along in are offering what I want (low 50s).

What I'm basically asking is how soon should I move to asking for a higher salary in this email exchange? I know it's not smart to mention a number, but would it be all right to say what these other roles want? I'd really like to land this job but if I can't get what I want then I'll have to walk away.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

How would handle this situation of negotiating for (significantly) more pay if I've already been offered the position via email and the starting salary is in writing? Some details.

- The role I'm being offered is the position I personally want the most out of all the ones I'm considering.
- It's about ~5k lower than where I need it to be (they don't need to know that, though).
- Other positions I'm currently pursuing but am less further along in are offering what I want (low 50s).

What I'm basically asking is how soon should I move to asking for a higher salary in this email exchange? I know it's not smart to mention a number, but would it be all right to say what these other roles want? I'd really like to land this job but if I can't get what I want then I'll have to walk away.

Why do you think they cannot know they are lower than where you need to be?

If you have an offer in writing, you absolutely need to reject or counter. “Company A, thank you for your offer. Your offer is significantly less than what I’m seeing on the market, and even though this looks like a great role/company, I need at least (x% or $y) more that you are offering in order to accept. If you can amend the offer, I would be ready to accept and start of $DATE$”

It would really help if you knew the range for the role for which you interviewed. Do you know that?

When I changed jobs recently, I didn’t name a number. The first offer (verbal, common in my line of work to negotiate verbally and come to agreement before written offers are generated) was definitely a lowball. Less than what I could accept. I knew the range and what I was worth, and was able to counter with “thanks for the offer, but you are at least x% low on the base, and I need my OTE to start with a (digit higher than they offered).” This led to my getting higher than band for base and an OTE that representing a >20% raise. I ended up at the top end, from their initial lowball.

At some point, you do need to talk numbers. Just don’t flinch first.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Once they give you a number you kind of have to give them a number on the counter. Just saying "more" is really unhelpful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This particular organization did give me the salary range they're offering now at the very end of the first interview (not a specific number). But this was at the VERY end of a first interview that already went 90 minutes long, and when they didn't get back to me for the second interview for over a month, I thought it was pointless to discuss salary then. But now I've advanced my application with a couple other roles that are paying more along the lines of what I'd expect in a program management role.

I'm just gonna have to tell them thanks, this is the kind of work I love to do, but based on where I'm at professionally and how similar roles are paying I need X.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

This particular organization did give me the salary range they're offering now at the very end of the first interview (not a specific number). But this was at the VERY end of a first interview that already went 90 minutes long, and when they didn't get back to me for the second interview for over a month, I thought it was pointless to discuss salary then. But now I've advanced my application with a couple other roles that are paying more along the lines of what I'd expect in a program management role.

I'm just gonna have to tell them thanks, this is the kind of work I love to do, but based on where I'm at professionally and how similar roles are paying I need X.

One small tweak. Don’t say you need X. Anchor above X so that when they offer you less than you ask, you end up where you want to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's what I meant in my first post by them not needing to know I need at least 5k above what they're offering. I know I'll probably have to target above that.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I need help because I'm so mad that I can barely see straight. I want to be clear that the obvious answer is "find a new job" and I am actively pursuing that; I have a vpn specifically so I can job hunt at work and have been applying like crazy. But until then, I want a raise.

Short version is, I have worked at this company for 5 years, and for the first 4 I tried really hard and did a lot of great work for the company, outside of my specific duties. Like, I would fill in for photography and do graphic design and a bunch of other poo poo. At the time, I was justifying it as having a job that let me grow other skills (like video production, which I had never done before). After awhile I got pretty disillusioned by the company and stopped doing the extra stuff because I wasn't being recognized or rewarded for it. Anyway I asked for a promotion a year ago and got my manager's lovely old job that I didn't want, and haven't gotten a raise in 3 years. I asked my manager for a raise, and she went silent for 2 weeks and then they changed my manager. So today I sent my new manager this message:

quote:

Last September marks 5 years that I’ve been here, and this month is 5 months of [my current position], during which I have met/exceeded profit goals for every month. Prior to that, I managed the setup for [our other sales] and exceeded my duties with community engagement, video production, and photography/graphic design when needed.
My last raise was in 2016, and since then my responsibilities have grown but my salary has not kept up with my performance. With that in mind, I’d like to talk about adjusting my salary to reflect this
What I got back was this message, basically saying "you have done a lot, but I want you to do that stuff you used to do and in six months maybe (btw he did this to another guy years ago and never gave the raise)

quote:

I do think you’ve taken on the new responsibilities and are doing well with the goals in place, though we have purposely low goals in order to allow us to experiment, build culture, and aim at additional goals. We don’t have a specific “anniversary” compensation review plan at the company, but I understand that it can be frustrating not to have a discussion over a long time period.
I want to see you take on the weekly event planning we’ve discussed, and I’d like to see that executed on starting in 2020. If, by the start of March, you’re still hitting the goals and we’ve got the additional brand activity moving, we’ll be able to give you a raise to match that role.

I want to tell him "I did that poo poo years ago and stopped because you weren't paying me, I'm not going to start again because you won't pay me. You're telling me my work prior is not worth value or merit. btw I was overqualified for a job with twice my salary" but I don't think that would go over well. He has the cards, how do I get them back?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stop wasting mental energy with your current job, put all your focus into getting a new job.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Anger in the workplace is not directly helpful but it is useful to inspire you to change your situation.

Keep cool and get your best revenge: a better job.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Friend posted:

though we have purposely low goals in order to allow us to experiment, build culture, and aim at additional goals

The gently caress is this? This seems to me like they're openly admitting that the goal posts will always be moved no matter what you do.

Jordan7hm posted:

Stop wasting mental energy with your current job, put all your focus into getting a new job.

Yup. Phone in the bare minimum while you look for something new. You fired some very clear warning shots with some very valid concerns. Fuckin' :lol: at "let's discuss this in 6 months, if you take on even more work between now and then".

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I don't give my work any more energy than the absolute minimum these days (and often less than that), but I figured I may as well ask for more money before I jump ship. I applied to 15+ jobs yesterday and did about 10 minutes of real work. No practical advice though?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Friend posted:

I don't give my work any more energy than the absolute minimum these days (and often less than that), but I figured I may as well ask for more money before I jump ship. I applied to 15+ jobs yesterday and did about 10 minutes of real work. No practical advice though?

Keep doing what you’re doing, don’t get fired.

There is no point worrying about your current job. There is no negotiation, there is no future. Thinking there is a future in any way there is a waste of mental energy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Friend posted:

I don't give my work any more energy than the absolute minimum these days (and often less than that), but I figured I may as well ask for more money before I jump ship. I applied to 15+ jobs yesterday and did about 10 minutes of real work. No practical advice, though?

Don't let on you're checking out or looking to move. When you find something, give a bland statement about a better skill match or whatever and an appropriate notice period.

It's not satisfying but long term you're better off sliding away than having a big moment.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Don't let on you're checking out or looking to move. When you find something, give a bland statement about a better skill match or whatever and an appropriate notice period.

It's not satisfying but long term you're better off sliding away than having a big moment.

I know that's the right advice but that's really hard to do when my response options are:
- "I'm not going to play this game, give me a raise or not, and I'll go back to work"
- "[LIE] okay fine I'll try to do more"

I really don't see the value in a notice period though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Networking is everything and burning bridges unnecessarily is a Really Bad Idea

If you're called out on mailing in your duties (less likely than you'd think, it can be painful but also wonderfully liberating to have it dawn on you that, all this time, your employer has never actually given much of a poo poo about what you do) then "[LIE] okay fine I'll try to do more" and then proceed to not do anything more at all is the correct answer.

98% of the time, getting fired is actually harder than you think. Companies move slow.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's just not to burn a bridge. If you don't think you will ever deal with them again then could be fine. Keep in mind they can also bad mouth you within the industry etc.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Friend posted:

I know that's the right advice but that's really hard to do when my response options are:
- "I'm not going to play this game, give me a raise or not, and I'll go back to work"

Having a job, even one you hate, gives you a lot of leverage when negotiating with a prospective new employer.

Given what you’ve said I wouldn’t fault you for giving minimal or no notice. There are times that you can safely burn bridges, just make drat sure you’ll never need to cross it again.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're called out on mailing in your duties (less likely than you'd think, it can be painful but also wonderfully liberating to have it dawn on you that, all this time, your employer has never actually given much of a poo poo about what you do) then "[LIE] okay fine I'll try to do more" and then proceed to not do anything more at all is the correct answer.

Ha part of why I haven't looked for a new job quite as hard in the past is because I could come in and play a game on my phone for 8 hours and no one would notice; it used to be really difficult and time consuming but I figured out how to streamline things and never told them. I just need to swallow my pride I guess

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Friend posted:

I want to be clear that the obvious answer is "find a new job" and I am actively pursuing that; I have a vpn specifically so I can job hunt at work and have been applying like crazy.

You know what you need to do. You know what the next step is. You know intellectually that wringing a raise out of your current disappointing employer won't improve anything in a lasting way.

But your emotional state isn't square with what you know. You still want to eek out a win over your employer, or at least demonstrate that all that hard work being a good employee wasn't for waste.

It's emotionally unsatisfying, but no amount of being a good cog will get you richly rewarded in the present business environment. You have to extend employers the same courtesy they show you: disloyal mercenary self interest.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It's emotionally unsatisfying, ...

Adding to this: five minutes after you walk out the door you won't care. Within a few days of starting the new job you'll find it hard to even spare a thought for them

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Adding to this: five minutes after you walk out the door you won't care. Within a few days of starting the new job you'll find it hard to even spare a thought for them

You say that but I still like knowing that after I gave 1 day notice at my last job, that motivated 6 other people to quit shortly after and the boss was reportedly crying in his office. Unfortunately I know that I won the lottery with that outcome.

Anyway I'm going to hit the middleground tomorrow, not genuflecting but basically saying "ouch, whatever let's not talk about this anymore" and triple my job search efforts.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You know what you need to do. You know what the next step is. You know intellectually that wringing a raise out of your current disappointing employer won't improve anything in a lasting way.

But your emotional state isn't square with what you know. You still want to eek out a win over your employer, or at least demonstrate that all that hard work being a good employee wasn't for waste.

It's emotionally unsatisfying, but no amount of being a good cog will get you richly rewarded in the present business environment. You have to extend employers the same courtesy they show you: disloyal mercenary self interest.

This is a good post and I appreciate it. My victory over them is quitting, a raise would just make it easier on life until I find a job, and I just had my 5 year anniversary so I figured it was a reasonable time to do it. Had he just said no, it would've been a lot easier to swallow. But I have learned your final point well; I will never go above and beyond expecting a reward again. I like the phrase "disloyal mercenary self interest."

Anyway I just sent a screenshot of this to a coworker who is better off but still in the pits with our company and could use this advice as well.

Friend fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 25, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Friend posted:

In this case "not burning bridges" is making sure no one gets their ego bruised and decides to try and mess with you as you make your way out the door. 1 days notice attracts negative attention you don't want to deal with as you move on.

There's all kinds of nasty bullshit people can pull and the first defense is staying below the radar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Besides, if you want to draw notice, why not loudly organize for a union, and see how long they take to "fire you for performance reasons"?

(don't do this)

((everyone should organize though))

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Update from yesterday: I targeted high and they came back with an offer of 50k. :woop: Thanks goons.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Friend posted:

You say that but I still like knowing that after I gave 1 day notice at my last job, that motivated 6 other people to quit shortly after and the boss was reportedly crying in his office. Unfortunately I know that I won the lottery with that outcome.

Anyway I'm going to hit the middleground tomorrow, not genuflecting but basically saying "ouch, whatever let's not talk about this anymore" and triple my job search efforts.

This is a good post and I appreciate it. My victory over them is quitting, a raise would just make it easier on life until I find a job, and I just had my 5 year anniversary so I figured it was a reasonable time to do it. Had he just said no, it would've been a lot easier to swallow. But I have learned your final point well; I will never go above and beyond expecting a reward again. I like the phrase "disloyal mercenary self interest."

Anyway I just sent a screenshot of this to a coworker who is better off but still in the pits with our company and could use this advice as well.

You're not ever getting this raise. Just keep your head down until you get another offer and then bounce. You don't need a "victory" over them. Once you're gone, who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Again managed to dodge the compensation question, counter-asking whether they had a band. He said something vague about being competitive for the area, but no numbers. I did get some information about their benefits and work-life balance. Also got reminded that they moved somewhere that would make it difficult for me to work there without getting a car, so that's something to think about. Will be getting a more technical phone interview next.