Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think the superstars theme music legitimately had no lyrics, the vocal part being jim johnston spouting nonsense syllables with a pissed off affect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the name of those exercise bands Sabin uses in BTE?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Same, it pissed me off big time back then. If we're talking about the Austin and HHH blow off.

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

I used to host ppv parties and always tried to get new people to come. The new person at that event was way into the match and then just deflated at the finish. I was already used to wrestling disappointing me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the most unnecessary use of blading in a Ric Flair match and I'm going to assume it was TNA?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bad Wolf posted:

The Megapowers.

Followed by Macho King vs Ultimate Warrior

Followed by Macho Man vs Jake the Snake (though that one didn't have a satisfying blowoff, as it was Taker who kayfabe ended Jake's run)

Macho had some great feuds, is what I'm saying.

Macho supposedly wanted to do a 'passing of the torch' type feud with Shawn Michaels to put him over when he was on his way out.

I hate that it never got to happen because that could have been an incredible feud.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

I used to host ppv parties and always tried to get new people to come. The new person at that event was way into the match and then just deflated at the finish. I was already used to wrestling disappointing me.

Not TNA, but the still from that Australian tour used in the Grantland article header is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling. Just a tired Ric Flair covered in blood gasping at a tired Hulk Hogan covered in blood.

Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life

Reminder that this was eight years ago before Flair married his fifth wife. Because he's totally fine.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What was up with Piper/Hogan at Starrcade being non-title? Was that known before the match? Did they pull a Halloween Havoc '95 and retroactively screw Piper in order to have a happy ending but not give him the belt? Did they pull a Summerslam '93 and expect you to be a loving moron and/or child who didn't exert any kind of brain activity when watching their show?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not TNA, but the still from that Australian tour used in the Grantland article header is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling. Just a tired Ric Flair covered in blood gasping at a tired Hulk Hogan covered in blood.

Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life

Reminder that this was eight years ago before Flair married his fifth wife. Because he's totally fine.

This article seems to put all the blame of everything Flair went through on Flair.
Which given what we know about his relationship with WCW is probably not fair.

But even if you're being fair, Ric Flair is Peter Pan but this isn't Neverland.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Every once in a while I'm reminded of that Disturbed song and that the lyrics sounded like "Step off 'cause you're the next woman I'm gonna kill you don't believe it but I'm betting that you will"

And I'm pretty sure the chorus is "I'M KILLING THE LIVING INSIDE YOU" which is loving embarrassing.

Step up! Cause you're the next one in line for the kill. You don't believe me but I'm betting that you will.
Step up! I'll let you live a little bit with the pain that I bring. You know it's only the beginning.
I'm breaking the limit inside you, stop begging someone to hide you.
I'm breaking the limit inside you, don't run away, bring it on straight to me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When Flair left WCW with the belt, didn't the court rule that because he had put down collateral on it (I want to say it was $20-40,000) they had to either give him his money or give up the belt?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Step up! Cause you're the next one in line for the kill. You don't believe me but I'm betting that you will.
Step up! I'll let you live a little bit with the pain that I bring. You know it's only the beginning.
I'm breaking the limit inside you, don't run away, bring it on straight to me

I didn't want the actual lyrics, but thank you.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

What was up with Piper/Hogan at Starrcade being non-title? Was that known before the match? Did they pull a Halloween Havoc '95 and retroactively screw Piper in order to have a happy ending but not give him the belt? Did they pull a Summerslam '93 and expect you to be a loving moron and/or child who didn't exert any kind of brain activity when watching their show?

I think it was just some Hogan bullshit. That was the first ppv I watched the build to and was invested in and I totally assumed it was for the title and was really upset when Piper didn't get the belt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also makes Piper look like a loving idiot because he's the one that came up with the stipulations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Test's theme, of course, has no lyrics. If it does I never want to know what they are.

Pretty girl, put your hand in my buttcheeks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here I was thinking the lyrics were "WIGGA WUG WHOOGA WUG" on repeat, in between "TEST, THIS IS A TEST"

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Was Jerichos original WWF theme supposed to have decipherable lyrics? It could have gone either way.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When Flair left WCW with the belt, didn't the court rule that because he had put down collateral on it (I want to say it was $20-40,000) they had to either give him his money or give up the belt?

Did that ever go to a court? I always thought that's just what the contract said.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Did that ever go to a court? I always thought that's just what the contract said.

Yeah, it went to court, over WWF using their IP on screen, I believe.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's a loose hierarchy of weapon strikes?

1. TV cameras
2. Title belts
3. Ring bells
4. Chairs/Stairs
etc

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Brass knuckles usually mean the match is over

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shine posted:

Pretty girl, put your hand in my buttcheeks.
Jericho! Burn his hand! On a toothpick!

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Dig diggity
Dig diggity dog

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Brass knuckles usually mean the match is over

Were knucks involved in the infamous Raven/Jarrett TNA match?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Dig diggity
Dig diggity dog

C'MON BOUNCE

is cookin

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

1. TV cameras
2. Title belts
3. Ring bells
4. Chairs/Stairs
etc
1. the assuredly disgusting roll of tape that Jim Duggan pulled out of his trunks

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When Sid had his “winning streak” during the Goldberg feud was it played up seriously or tongue in cheek?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Back in the day, the NWA Champion was required to put a deposit down ($25, 000.00) on the belt, to keep them from scampering off with the title. The money was basically put into an account, earning interest, and when the champ lost, he got his money back and then some. Since Flair never lost the title for any extended period of time in the 80s (his longest time without the belt was 6 months), he never bothered to ask for his deposit back, since he knew he was getting the title back.

Flash forward to 1991, when Flair had a falling out with WCW because of Jim Herd. Jim demanded he lose the belt, Flair said no, so Herd told him to hand over the belt. Flair said he could have the belt when Herd gave him his $25, 000 + interest. Herd told Flair "gently caress you", so Flair called Vince, and told him he was coming to the WWF, and he was bringing the belt with him, since Flair considered it his property, because he didn't get his money back for it.

That led to the whole "Real World's Champion" angle on WWF TV, with Heenan showing the belt. WCW then took the WWF to court over the matter, claiming copyright infringement or some such thing. The WWF had to take the belt off TV during the hearing, so they had Flair wear one of Tag Team belts, which they digitally obscured. Though it was obvious that that was what he was wearing.

The judge ruled in WCW's favor, and that the belt was a symbol of the company, to which the WWF had to return it. I think Flair got his money back as a result, but I'm not entirely sure.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

1. TV cameras
2. Title belts
3. Ring bells
4. Chairs/Stairs
etc

Light tubes are probably the weakest since half the time wrestlers use it on themselves for a quick buff.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Least powerful is the wooden chair that only ever came out in order to be used on Meng, to show that Meng was wholly unaffected by the wooden chair.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

30 dollar plywood guitar is all over the map but i wanted to put it on the table

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Was Jerichos original WWF theme supposed to have decipherable lyrics? It could have gone either way.

I remember being able to make out "step in the arena and break the walls down" but not much else.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

found this on an angelfire page to help my friends

quote:

jericho's debut theme is quite a bit different from what it would eventually become. it was altered in extremely minor ways probably 4 or 5 times. here are the original lyrics from right after the "Countdown to the Millennium"

you go ahead bitch
break the wall down
for those about to blow (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
what you know (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
baby you know you're judas and i'm your priest
baby what i got is not from the least
bring it to the stage and the rage of the beast
step in the arena and break the wall down (x2)

for those about to rock
check the clock (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
for those who think they got it (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
they know they don't (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
when i get on the stage (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
i'm in a rage (NOT incorrect - was changed later)
step in the arena and break the wall down

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

after reading the website guestbook i see that there is a disagreement about the above lyrics for the original version of chris jericho's wwe theme music. unfortunately this paints it in a new and untrustworthy light. please disregard and keep searching for answers.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

after reading the website guestbook i see that there is a disagreement about the above lyrics for the original version of chris jericho's wwe theme music. unfortunately this paints it in a new and untrustworthy light. please disregard and keep searching for answers.

no those are accurate. you're good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM49fQ7RXnw

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i apologize but I must side with the guestbook. I've said too much. Shield me from this terror

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When Sid had his “winning streak” during the Goldberg feud was it played up seriously or tongue in cheek?

I may be giving WCW too much credit, but I believe it was supposed to be comical. They misspelled "millennium" the entire time, and they would do things like have Sid appear on Nitro with 33-0 and then on Thunder with 37-0 even though he only had one victory in between, and Heenan would say "That's because he beat three people up in the back before he came out here tonight!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Should I watch NWA Powerrr?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

It's a fun, compact show that looks and feels unlike anything else out there. The wrestling itself is mostly solid but not amazing, but they have some really excellent and charismatic talkers there and they let them improv pretty much everything as far as I've understood. Give the first episode a watch and see if you like it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Watch the first episode for sure, if you don't like that you won't like the show in general. Second episode was kinda weak but the third episode was a ton of fun, I legit look forward to watching the NWA every week at the moment and it's a weird and alien sensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It blows my mind that the NWA still exists as an entity and now has a TV show of some kind?

Not as much as the fact that TNA still exists.