Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, that's great. "Here, pay us a subscription for some basic game features and we'll let you run a private server. Except we need to run it and you need to buy our real money currency every month for that privilege."

At least I'm assuming Bethesda is still hosting these private worlds on their server because otherwise it makes even less sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the subscription service features don't even work properly :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHb_c0-XajU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tbh i could probably reverse engineer f76's braindead AI patterns in my sleep. that's why they have to host this scam themselves, the second they let you connect offsite from their own machines they open the floodgates for private servers

same story for sc2, though that'd be even worse for blizz because all the routines are stored locally. just in case you ever wondered why you can't even launch it without logging in to their servers first

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

tbh i could probably reverse engineer f76's braindead AI patterns in my sleep. that's why they have to host this scam themselves, the second they let you connect offsite from their own machines they open the floodgates for private servers

same story for sc2, though that'd be even worse for blizz because all the routines are stored locally. just in case you ever wondered why you can't even launch it without logging in to their servers first

which is kind of ironic because mods and private servers would make Fallout 76 and actually interesting game. but you can't sell people a red power armor texture if they have access to homebrew mods :shrug:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, that's great. "Here, pay us a subscription for some basic game features and we'll let you run a private server. Except we need to run it and you need to buy our real money currency every month for that privilege."

At least I'm assuming Bethesda is still hosting these private worlds on their server because otherwise it makes even less sense.

It isn't even private, anyone on your friends list can view if you're in "your" server and join you without your invite. Plus servers aren't persistent, they're instanced. So you load into a completely loving empty/looted world because the timer reset is hot garbage.

Plus apparently the storage crate eats anything you put into it, unrecoverably so.

At this point Bethesda is to gaming as Trump is to politics, like it's not even fun to mock them anymore because I can't come up with anything any better than what they're doing to themselves.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

13Pandora13 posted:

It isn't even private, anyone on your friends list can view if you're in "your" server and join you without your invite. Plus servers aren't persistent, they're instanced. So you load into a completely loving empty/looted world because the timer reset is hot garbage.

Plus apparently the storage crate eats anything you put into it, unrecoverably so.

At this point Bethesda is to gaming as Trump is to politics, like it's not even fun to mock them anymore because I can't come up with anything any better than what they're doing to themselves.

And yet millions of people are still devoted to it through thick or thin, no matter how bad or hypocritical it gets.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think that only three people have bought fallout 76 in the past few months, so the only way to make more money off it is to start charging subscriptions to the few people brokebrained enough to be playing it continuously and enthusiastically

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hot take: there hasn't been a tactical RPG released since Jagged Alliance 2* that has done the genre justice. X-COM 1 and 2 (the newer ones) are nowhere near as fun tactics-wise as JA2.

*a CANADIAN-made masterpiece

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Did people like Moonlighter? It seems really dumb. Like, there's a whole mechanic of figuring out the price of objects by selling them in your store, but you can also just instantly convert them into gold for what appears to be one third of their ideal price while in dungeons... but doing that doesn't save any information about the thing. So you have to either write that down by hand, memorize it while in the dungeon, or just tediously gently caress around in your store in a way that feels like it earns you less gold than just staying in the dungeon.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Hot take: there hasn't been a tactical RPG released since Jagged Alliance 2* that has done the genre justice. X-COM 1 and 2 (the newer ones) are nowhere near as fun tactics-wise as JA2.

*a CANADIAN-made masterpiece

What about Silent Storm?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SoR Blaze posted:

What about Silent Storm?

.......never played it, and you might have poked a giant hole in my take :whitewater:

Should I give it a try?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

piratepilates posted:

That's because you literally can't use any tactics in them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

Did people like Moonlighter? It seems really dumb. Like, there's a whole mechanic of figuring out the price of objects by selling them in your store, but you can also just instantly convert them into gold for what appears to be one third of their ideal price while in dungeons... but doing that doesn't save any information about the thing. So you have to either write that down by hand, memorize it while in the dungeon, or just tediously gently caress around in your store in a way that feels like it earns you less gold than just staying in the dungeon.

Everything I hear about Moonlighter is that it's basically just worse Recettear. (which is also pretty clunky in its own way but more cute and funny, if you can tolerate anime)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

.......never played it, and you might have poked a giant hole in my take :whitewater:

Should I give it a try?

Indeed you should. To this day I can't think of a game like it that did explodey buildings as well.
Just be aware that the latter game can get a bit frustrating when the enemies start using mechs but those can be modded out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlKd9nLCP6A

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Should I give it a try?

Silent Storm owns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All Bethesda developed games are mediocre trash with the depth of a puddle.
Also most Final Fantasy games are boring trash and I'm not even inherently opposed to anime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every Warframe character looks like something I'd hallucinate on a bad trip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moonlighter is kind of bad; its a game about balancing two different jobs where you are allowed to take all the time you need, be poo poo at both of them, and not have any depth to either one. Reccetear is the superior choice which is weird as hell to say.

piratepilates posted:

Mario vs Rabbids is the best turn based tactics game this generation

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Silent storm was one of those games in the dark years that really scratched the XCOM itch like JA2 did. As mentioned, 2/3rds of the way through the game they introduce mechs which ruin everything, and even if you cut them out I'm not sure if there's a mod to fix the way skills grow, which is a terrible mistake that should have been caught well before the retail release. Until then, it's a pretty farking awesome game (roll a sniper, trust us).

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Silent Storm definitely owns but it's very clunky by today's standards. Still very fun to play, but IIRC the mod that speeds up combat animations is basically required, and the panzerkleins that get introduced late in the game are a bit of a pain and it may be worth moving those out too, but the game is definitely worth playing, especially if you like shooting the floorboards out from under people so they fall 2 stories.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Some Jagged Alliance 2 love, hell yeah.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Alright I am going to officially revise my last take in response to ongoing feedback:

X-COM 2's tactical system is really annoying and requires way too much gaming of the "undiscovered enemies sit frozen until you uncover them". I'm tired of having to only reveal new tiles with the first few movements of my turn, and run around with my guys in a tight formation worrying about what they can see instead of how they're positioning and covering each other.

Hot JA2 take: why the hell has no one come close to making this game, and I am so sick of having to do the intro and first few map tiles over again every time I decide to play 1.13 again.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

piratepilates posted:

Alright I am going to officially revise my last take in response to ongoing feedback:

X-COM 2's tactical system is really annoying and requires way too much gaming of the "undiscovered enemies sit frozen until you uncover them". I'm tired of having to only reveal new tiles with the first few movements of my turn, and run around with my guys in a tight formation worrying about what they can see instead of how they're positioning and covering each other.

Hot JA2 take: why the hell has no one come close to making this game, and I am so sick of having to do the intro and first few map tiles over again every time I decide to play 1.13 again.

It's a very repetitive intro, but you can be in control of the first airport within 2 minutes if you don't mind cheating.

Also the absolute most fun I've had in a tactical game is spawning a single mercenary on the highest difficulty, never buying anything from Bobby Rays or hiring other mercenaries, and seeing how far I can get on a single life.

I haven't tried it since they introduced food and water, that should make it even more interesting

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

Hot JA2 take: why the hell has no one come close to making this game

making games that are deep enough to be played for decades is antithetical to modern AAA game design

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

making games is antithetical to modern AAA game design

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

making games that are deep enough to be played for decades is antithetical to modern AAA game design

... oh god Baldurs Gate 3 is going to suck isn't it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

razorrozar posted:

I mean that wont really be a change for the series

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

I mean that wont really be a change for the series

:rant:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

razorrozar posted:

i don't know why they are even calling it Baldurs Gate 3 if i can't import my character from Baldurs Gate 2. i want to play as the God of Murder :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

literally the last 40% of persona 5 is genuinely bad, and while the final two dungeons are much better than the two before them (good god that ship in particular was the worst kind of slog) the end of the final battle where satan appears and makes you go super saiyan so you can shoot god in the loving head with a desert eagle was way, way, way better than the similar scene in persona 4.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Persona 3 supremacy

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

is pepsi ok posted:

Persona 3 supremacy

Persona 3 is fine but god drat Tartarus gets old after a while. have some different freeroam dungeons goddammit.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The first Infamous is so loving annoying. Every enemy locks onto you perfectly and forces you to just fire wildly and leap around like jack rabbit on an electrified floor just so you don't get killed.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying The Outer Worlds.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Since we're on the topic, I've always wondered this - towards the end of Persona 4 you corner the guy who you think is the murderer and you get a series of dialogue options. Initially I threw him in the TV (killing him) because they lead you to believe he's the guy, and then you get a really abrupt ending. That seemed weird so I looked it up online and it turns out if you make the right dialogue choices the game will continue and then you play one more level and find the real killer.

My question is, was there some way I was supposed to know this and I just missed it? I never would have known if I didn't look it up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

is pepsi ok posted:

Since we're on the topic, I've always wondered this - towards the end of Persona 4 you corner the guy who you think is the murderer and you get a series of dialogue options. Initially I threw him in the TV (killing him) because they lead you to believe he's the guy, and then you get a really abrupt ending. That seemed weird so I looked it up online and it turns out if you make the right dialogue choices the game will continue and then you play one more level and find the real killer.

My question is, was there some way I was supposed to know this and I just missed it? I never would have known if I didn't look it up.

I like when games do this. There are probably thousands of people who really think that rear end in a top hat inquisitor guy in Witcher 3 was the murderer you were looking for the whole time. They were not good investigators.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

is pepsi ok posted:

its foreshadowed subtly but its fairly easy to miss if you dont talk to everyone. the biggest tell is that there are a lot of things in Namatame's story that don't add up with the things your group knows. The Golden makes it easier because you get a social link with the real killer so it's a lot clearer that he's a sociopathic jackass.

also, if you dont throw Namatame into the TV, you get a list of people to choose from, and it's pretty easy to process-of-elimination it from there.

Nanako doesn't die if you don't kill Namatame or side with Adachi in The Golden.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 25, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxO_wp0AQqY&t=18s

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

razorrozar posted:

its foreshadowed subtly but its fairly easy to miss if you dont talk to everyone. the biggest tell is that there are a lot of things in Namatame's story that don't add up with the things your group knows. The Golden makes it easier because you get a social link with the real killer so it's a lot clearer that he's a sociopathic jackass.

also, if you dont throw Namatame into the TV, you get a list of people to choose from, and it's pretty easy to process-of-elimination it from there.

Nanako doesn't die if you don't kill Namatame or side with Adachi in The Golden.

Ok that explains a lot, thank you :tipshat:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's a reason why you've had HOLD OUT AND REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH beaten into your head for dozens of hours at that point.

Chomp8645 posted:

I like when games do this.
Best thing about Black Ops 3's campaign (which generally surprised me with its depth) was that the main twist is never directly told to the player. The player character dies at the end of the first mission as their supervisor links up to their mind; the rest of the game is reliving past week's events with their main hero swapped for the protagonist, as a dying brain tries to make sense of two sets of memories It still works as a loud, coherent CoD campaign even if you don't piece that together.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

There's a reason why you've had HOLD OUT AND REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH beaten into your head for dozens of hours at that point.

Best thing about Black Ops 3's campaign (which generally surprised me with its depth) was that the main twist is never directly told to the player. The player character dies at the end of the first mission as their supervisor links up to their mind; the rest of the game is reliving past week's events with their main hero swapped for the protagonist, as a dying brain tries to make sense of two sets of memories It still works as a loud, coherent CoD campaign even if you don't piece that together.

If it's never directly told, what is the subtext pointing towards that direction? That seems very interesting.