Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

e: 254 nm is an important wavelength of light emitted by germicidal lamps, considered to be UVC. This is useful for making potable water and cleaning the inside of culture incubators.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

So the primary school my youngest goes to has sent a newsletter out saying the head of the school has been replaced and yadda yaddaed into wanting to make the school an academy and join some kind of trust.

There's a meeting with parents coming up about it, I know this Academy poo poo is bad but anyone know any decent Correct resources I can take along that show that actually private profiteering running a school is loving poo poo?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
For all the talk about how with a heavy heart you must vote Lib Dem I think it's important to remember what the Lib Dems actually do when given a modicum of responsibility .

https://twitter.com/caoilfhionnanna/status/1187332934623256576

Jo Swindon voted for this 11 times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

So the primary school my youngest goes to has sent a newsletter out saying the head of the school has been replaced and yadda yaddaed into wanting to make the school an academy and join some kind of trust.

There's a meeting with parents coming up about it, I know this Academy poo poo is bad but anyone know any decent Correct resources I can take along that show that actually private profiteering running a school is loving poo poo?
The FullFact report, despite being obsessed with balance, has some concerns you could raise, such as.

quote:

Academies are run by academy trusts and don’t have to follow the national curriculum and tend to have greater freedom to set their own term times and admissions (although this is a complex area).

They still have to follow the same rules on special educational needs and exclusions as other state schools, and are required to provide a curriculum that is “balanced and broadly based, and includes English, mathematics and science”. In terms of admissions, they also still have to follow the same rules as other state schools, but can set their own arrangements rather than these being determined by the local authority as is the case for many non-academies.

Evidence on the extent to which academies are using these new freedoms is mixed. A 2014 survey of academies by DfE found that 87% say they are now buying in services previously provided by the Local Authority from elsewhere, 55% have changed their curriculum, 8% have changed the length of their school day and 4% have changed their school terms. Whilst various other changes were also reported, it is not clear to what extent these are a direct result of academy conversion rather than changes that would have taken place regardless.

quote:

In 2015, the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee criticised the government for allowing academy chains to grow in size without independent assessments of their capacity and capability to do so. The National Schools Commissioner is seeking to address this by a programme of pilot ‘MAT growth checks’.

Ofsted Chief Inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw raised concerns with the government in early March 2016 regarding the performance of seven multi-academy trusts. He said that “much more needs to be done to reduce the variation in standards between the best and worst academy trusts”. The government is reported to have disputed this, saying these trusts represent a partial picture.

quote:

Academies, including free schools, are directly accountable to the Secretary of State for Education, while all other state funded schools are accountable to local authorities. Both are inspected by Ofsted. Ultimately, DfE is accountable for the overall performance of the school system in England.

The House of Commons Public Accounts Committee has said “The Department presides over a complex and confused system of external oversight”, “allowing schools to fall through gaps in the system”.

But there's not many primary school academies compared to secondary school academies, so we don't really know a great deal about how that might work out (that might be an argument in itself).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I never actually looked up her voting record so I gave it a gander

A litany of shitvoting.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A litany of shitvoting.

I am going to be posting this a lot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Liberals Eating People's Faces Party.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Miftan posted:

But on the bright side we found out who James Prime is!
Yeah we did. :smugdog:

I feel dirty taking victory via Jeremy Clarkson, but here we are.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/paulapeters2/status/1187729158186532867

lib dem feminism.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't read the comments.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hi folks, I self identify as a marketing category and just thought I'd drop by to say, The Man On The Left Is Bad. I hope we can have a civil discussion about my complex and nuanced opinion. Who knows - if you're polite enough, maybe you'll turn me into a "leaning strongly one way or another"! I await your arguments.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

But there's not many primary school academies compared to secondary school academies, so we don't really know a great deal about how that might work out (that might be an argument in itself).

All my family except me work in education, and their view is that academisation is unavoidable, you need to make the best of it. The slight upside is that generally the academies are focussed on secondaries, and at the primary where my sister is head the academy management largely stay out of the way. Still very poo poo but tbh I think you're onto a loser trying to oppose it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Episode 10 - Tangible Schadenfreude

We recorded this last night and then the EU did the one thing we didn't predict they would do while I was in the process of loving editing this, so enjoy an outdated and probably incorrect anyway middle half hour I guess :v:

If I'd been on there would have been a fight to invoke "Perfect wrestlers" first.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The FullFact report, despite being obsessed with balance, has some concerns you could raise, such as.

Thanks comrade I shall give it a read

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean personally I don't share that position so, I'm not really going to suggest that you'd be doing anything wrong working there, but equally that's something that really only you can answer? Are you going to experience a drop in your quality of life because working there makes you feel bad?

I might suggest it's worth interviewing if nothing else, you don't have to accept. Questions about their position on ethics are something you might want to ask, given the opportunity.

Sounds like you're perfect for the job really - the agricultural industry should be full of people who give a poo poo about animal welfare. Sure you might not want the industry to exist at all, but if it must, wouldn't you want to be a part of making it the best it can be?

Purple Prince posted:

Nothing wrong with doing this for a couple of months and jumping ship as soon as you find something that is better aligned with your morals. Because morals are a luxury that goes down the drain very fast as your quality of life and bank account diminish, and at least this way you’re not desperate.

Aramoro posted:

I would always say don't take a job that you'll be unhappy to roll out of bed to do in the morning. Go for the interview but if you don't feel they're taking the animal welfare aspect seriously then walk away from it as that's the only redeemable part of the job to you.

Ratjaculation posted:

Sort of similar situation that may or may not help.

I had a few extremely passionate ecologist colleagues who joined up with some of the consultancy firms doing the mitigation work for HS2.

HS2 is well known as being very bad for the environment, potentially destroying huge areas of protected woodland and other sensitive habitats.

But these people did the work as they felt that it would be done regardless*, and having someone with who truly cared about nature doing the work would at least be able to make sure that it was done properly, and they would then have an effective voice in the mitigation.

*obviously HS2 is back up in the air, but still.

If you can hack working around dairy farms, then it could be good for someone with your passion for animal welfare to be involved, even if it only makes a small change for the better thats better than nothing. Find out more about the company, go for an interview, see if its an option. An interview is good experience if nothing else.

Guavanaut posted:

I mean you're profiting from the industrial use/abuse of animals just by existing in the UK and making use of UK public services, so it's not like that'd be any more or less so just from working at a dairy company out of necessity as long as you're not going to start taking milk baths.

And there's been thousands of people who worked in, say, coal mining because it was the only employer in town, but were actually against black lung and smog and their children being buried under heaps of spoil from collapsing tips, so it's not like being in the industry means you approve of the effects of the industry. They joined unions and worked for change from within.

Also it's good that they work for animal protection, and the only reason they'd take the side of profit over that is because enough people within the structure take the side of profit. More people joining who care about welfare over profit changes that likelihood.

It's up to your own decision of separatism for the sake of purity vs we live in a society.

Lib Dems are the Hitler hiding under the table.

Thank you for your opinions.

My own belief came close to the overall consensus raised here. I wanted your perspective to make sure I wasn't just rationalizing a potentially unethical decision. I'll go to the interview. Maybe they indeed can use someone who wants to detect animal mishandling, and not only wants to increase milk productivity or w/e.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Steve2911 posted:

Don't read the comments.

You told me I shouldn't, so I had to, and now I blame you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Stimperor posted:

You told me I shouldn't, so I had to, and now I blame you.

They wouldn't load for me at first, which just made me hungrier for them, so I kept trying

Then they loaded and I'm angry now, thanks all

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Labour would be well advised to collaborate. Jeremy Corbyn and his disjointed band of remainers, half-leavers, soft-Brexiters and second-coming referendum-ers, have been wrongfooted at every turn. They should now concentrate on one thing, minimising the cost of Brexit to the economy. Their task should be to soften its impact. Now to stand in its way would see them massacred at the polls.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

They wouldn't load for me at first, which just made me hungrier for them, so I kept trying

This one tipped me over the edge

quote:

Well now shes working she doesnt qualify for benefits anymore, good. Should go back where they came from

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

This one tipped me over the edge

Just the most blackpilled people. Hateful, spiteful and unconcerned with things getting better for themselves so long as things get worse for everyone else.

Bootlicking worms who have convinced themselves they're the masters of their squalid little lives.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

Don't read the comments.

Don't read the Daily Mirror.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bundy posted:

Hi, I work in a related area. Academies can set their own policies (regular schools get them from the local authority) which are almost always worse for the teachers. If the teachers are overworked, underpaid, and liable to be 'legally' mistreated then its the students who have to eat poo poo right along with them. This results in high turnover, unhappy staff, etc.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

dream scenario, labour smash the next GE and each one after that, moving further left in the process, how long do you think it would be before the party system could be abolished entirely and we could develop a one-party state? seems like we'd be missing a trick not trying to marginalize and destroy the lib dems, tories, greens etc if we're bringing in these lovely reforms of everything else

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm always just amazed at people in the same boat as you who will smugly grin as you're bailing out the incoming water and say "It'll be funny when you drown".

https://twitter.com/Challengeitnow/status/1187607877281812480

Boris got bots.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

gh0stpinballa posted:

dream scenario, labour smash the next GE and each one after that, moving further left in the process, how long do you think it would be before the party system could be abolished entirely and we could develop a one-party state? seems like we'd be missing a trick not trying to marginalize and destroy the lib dems, tories, greens etc if we're bringing in these lovely reforms of everything else

lol

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Labour would be well advised to collaborate. Jeremy Corbyn and his disjointed band of remainers, half-leavers, soft-Brexiters and second-coming referendum-ers, have been wrongfooted at every turn. They should now concentrate on one thing, minimising the cost of Brexit to the economy. Their task should be to soften its impact. Now to stand in its way would see them massacred at the polls.

Commentariat.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

seems weird to waste democracy on people who want to do a bedroom tax you know? and ofc capital will push back violently against a corbyn government, it is gonna require some pretty harsh corrective measures to make sure the boy stays in power, i reckon milne gets it

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

source u r quotes

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Hi, I work in a related area. Academies can set their own policies (regular schools get them from the local authority) which are almost always worse for the teachers. If the teachers are overworked, underpaid, and liable to be 'legally' mistreated then its the students who have to eat poo poo right along with them. This results in high turnover, unhappy staff, etc.

Thanks Miftan, I'll search for stuff/anecdotes on this too (and would be immensely grateful if you have any).

Local high school became an academy and by all accounts has gone to poo poo.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The Deleter posted:

source u r quotes

idk you seem to be implying we "need" the tory party and lib dems as opposition, or at least "around", im saying we dont, why not explain why you want the tories and lib dems to remain viable political entities and i will try to explain why you are wrong

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:lol:

quote:

Production of Brexit 50p coin paused amid exit uncertainty

About 1,000 already-minted coins with ‘31 October 2019’ leave date could be worth up to £800 each

The chancellor, Sajid Javid, had ordered 3m of the coins to be made ready for the end of the month with the inscription “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations”. Underneath the inscription, the Mint placed the historic date the UK is supposed to leave the EU: 31 October 2019.

Treasury officials refused to say whether the Mint will release the coins into circulation or seek to realise their inflated value by selling them on its website.
x

Brexitcoin is going up uP UP

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

idk you seem to be implying we "need" the tory party and lib dems as opposition, or at least "around", im saying we dont, why not explain why you want the tories and lib dems to remain viable political entities and i will try to explain why you are wrong

controlled opposition to laugh at, force them to wear clown makeup and every time they sit down there's a fart noise

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The Deleter posted:

controlled opposition to laugh at, force them to wear clown makeup and every time they sit down there's a fart noise

i like this and also a horn that goes "womp womp"

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Firos posted:

Good to know that Morningwoodpecker lives a comfortable enough life that it doesn't matter to them whether they vote or not.

Isn’t that question really better asked of the people who are spending their limited time and energy on discouraging him from voting Labour?

Sure, the ‘5 more Tory PMs, providing Corbyn gets to oppose them’ faction of Labour exist. But I don’t think they should ever be free to speak as if they owned the party.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

gh0stpinballa posted:

Are you suggesting you debate the point? That doing so might make for a better argument, a stronger solution? Going to need some opposition if you want to do that? oh.

And you've already misrepresented their point as noone said they want these tories and lib dems specifically to stick around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

The more time they're forced to stay sat in a place with constant camera coverage the less time they have to nonce kids.

Bundy posted:

Thanks Miftan, I'll search for stuff/anecdotes on this too (and would be immensely grateful if you have any).

Local high school became an academy and by all accounts has gone to poo poo.
That could also be a big part due to austerity, the two go hand in hand.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Commentari... Dammit!

quote:

The polls at the moment have given cheer to the Conservatives, but to my mind false cheer. The latest put the party on about 34 per cent and Labour eight points behind on 26 per cent. The psephologist Sir John Curtice suggests that this could give Boris a majority in the House of Commons by the slenderest of margins. But that is to ignore geographical factors, the role of the Brexit party and the volatility of the electorate. The Tories may indeed be shoring up their vote in seats they already possess, but there is no evidence whatsoever that they have the ability to gain seats in the north-east and north-west of England. The Brexit party is still well into double figures in the polls; for its threat to the Tories to be largely redundant this figure needs to fall to 5-6 per cent, and it shows no signs of doing that. Furthermore, those voters who do decamp from the Brexit party will return to the Tories only in those areas where they don’t need them. Following the pattern of the decamped Ukip vote in 2017, former Brexit party voters in areas away from the south-east of England will more likely return to their habitual Labour (or even Lib Dem, paradoxically) berths.

But even in the south-east the Tories will not have it all their own way — certainly not in London. The party currently holds 21 seats in our fervently Remain-minded and increasingly woke capital. My suspicion is that it will lose eight to ten of them — in places such as Putney, Cities of London and Westminster, Harrow East and Wimbledon, where the swing required by Labour or the Lib Dems is around or below (very much below in some cases) 5 per cent. It is perfectly possible, if not probable, that should the Lib Dems and Labour reach some sort of electoral pact in Uxbridge and South Ruislip, where the swing needed is only 5.39 per cent, the Prime Minister himself could be out of a seat.

In 2017 the Conservative party won 13 seats in Scotland, its best performance since 1983. There is scant hope that it can add to that figure and the far greater probability is that it will lose about half of them. In the south-west the Tories face the resurgent Lib Dems and again will lose more seats than they gain, half a dozen or so by my reckoning.

Add all that stuff together and Boris falls well short of an overall majority — and by my conservative calculation will lose at least 20 in the regions mentioned above. That leaves him about 65 seats short of a majority, and with only a limited swath of the country in which to harvest those seats. There is hope for Boris in the Midlands (the east Midlands especially) and parts of East Anglia. Many of the Tory targets, however, are in the north — and yet it seems to me highly unlikely that Boris will carry with him the likes of say, Bishop Auckland, Hartlepool and Stockton South. It seems more likely that the sole Conservative gain from Labour in the north-east in 2017 — my own constituency of Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland — will return to the Labour party.

In the north, the Brexit party vote will remain strong in those areas most dispossessed, where the Tories are disliked both tribally and viscerally and also for ‘austerity’. The Queen’s Speech and spending plans directed specifically at these areas are too recent to have properly bedded down in the minds of the electors — nor does Boris play very well on the stump in such regions. The Tories will maintain their grasp of rural northern seats, but will struggle in the cities to win either the increasingly cosmopolitan vote, or the votes of the truly poor. My guess is that Labour could end up the largest party of a ruling coalition by making only the most modest gains, coasting to power on the back of revivals for the Lib Dems and the SNP.

Commentariat - lol Rob Liddle doing the exact inverse of this threads poll doomsaying

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I only got one comment, "More of what they now call modern day slavery also known as poverty"

Maybe my DNS redirects to the alternate dimension twitter where people aren't cunts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I'm genuinely not trying to sass you or talk down to you, its just once the thread goes with "grr pissflaps is a pooface" I'm struggling to take any of this remotely seriously.
I think it probably didn't help that I directly called you out on it. For posterity it was supposed to come across less authoritarian, and more "When an admin steps in and tells you to stop, maybe you should try and take more of a questioning /listening role."

It's different because VG is a semi regular poster here and is generally :coal: , but in general when a mod / admin says you're wrong, it's best to ask them why you're wrong rather than launching into an explaination of why they're wrong.

Again, not trying to backseat mod, just explaining an issue I probably caused which doesn't seem to be dying down on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Angepain posted:

"You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference." - Conservative party policy on disability benefits, December 2019 election manifesto

Too real.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I'm genuinely not trying to sass you or talk down to you, its just once the thread goes with "grr pissflaps is a pooface" I'm struggling to take any of this remotely seriously.

If I was trying for sass and meltdowns I'd be going with peoples front of Judea gags. Which at a guess pissflaps probably already did.

The fact that you think it means I'd ever turn right just shows the issue here lies in your incorrect assumptions about me based on your tribal outlook. I'd suggest you try an approach involving persuading me of or even explaining your viewpoint but that's not realistically gonna happen is it ?.

So I'll toddle off.

Footballification of politics.

Yeah it's just teams facing off against each other isn't it.

You dim gently caress.

People are literally dying due to austerity. Dying. This isn't a team game the outcomes have important meaning, there's no "better luck next year".

"One side is for causing misery for the badly-off and the brown, but the other team is so rude and doesn't look like it can win."

You're a murderous racist in your heart of hearts, and all the rest is bullshit. Until you accept that that is true and will be until you take action to change it, you rightfully get called a dimwitted, evil poo poo.