Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There used to be a guy in the Times Square subway station with multiple tables covered in Chick Tracts in many languages and you could take a bunch at a time, it was great. That was at least like 15 years ago, I haven’t had a commute through there in ages but who knows maybe he’s still showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Elukka posted:

Those kids look about 55.

They have old lady names too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

What even is this, Genderfluidity is not mentioned before or after, what?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's just an excuse to bring up the hot button issues of today and remind the reader that the only correct beliefs are either from the middle east circa the first century CE, or the USA circa 1955.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
They nailed Christ to the cross so he couldn't dab on them, bro.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Recent email:

Hopefully a new tract will be out soon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
At least they're telling people to drop the tracts with candy rather than instead of candy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pvt.Scott posted:

This song is tough as gently caress
https://youtu.be/YJgt2ktRJME

that kid 40 or so seconds in is kind scary.

RagnarokAngel posted:

its to keep the message in the brains of the believers. so they repeat it constantly every so often.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Recent email:

Hopefully a new tract will be out soon.

i never understood the anti halloween poo poo. like its not a holiday in the sense of anything being worshiped. its mostly people watching horror movies or dressing up as monsters/media icons.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i never understood the anti halloween poo poo. like its not a holiday in the sense of anything being worshiped. its mostly people watching horror movies or dressing up as monsters/media icons.

But it is Satan's birthday...

...according to Chick.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

At least they're telling people to drop the tracts with candy rather than instead of candy.

Kids these days are spoiled sinners, man.

Why, when I was their age I took any number of gewgaws and doodads from adults, uphill, both ways in the snow and I thanked them for it, like it's implied to say in the Bible.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

With the number of anti-Halloween tracts the whole "give tracts away with candy" thing seems a tad hypocritical.

Edit: Semi-related, I remember when I was a kid some houses would display a symbol (some sort of cross, I think) which designated them as not participating in Halloween and to not go to their door. I am drawing a blank on the name of the symbol, and Google is not helping me determine it. I think it was a kind of unofficial thing, but it was widespread enough I did see it in the wild. Ring any bells?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That was lamb blood smeared on the doorframes.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
haha that kid's wearing a hamster ball.

edit: of course, now that Chick's kicked it, they're doing their best to keep their hatred relevant. They'll update their beliefs on fun stuff, but not on things like science or human rights...

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 9, 2019

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Just wanted to thank gutter pheonix for keeping this thread alive with his jack chick history lessons

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Just wanted to thank gutter pheonix for keeping this thread alive with his jack chick history lessons

My pleasure. I still have things to add. I need to look back through the thread and see what's missing.

In the meantime, here are a couple of Chick-esque tracts:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i thought speaking in tongues was something that was supposed to happen spontaneously, as a gift from god or whatever. if it's something you have to practice, i wonder what that says about the whole phenomenon... :thunk:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, speaking in tongues was a miracle. Everyone nearby heard their own native tongue. It was like having a Universal Translator from Star Trek, or a first level cleric spell.

The people who encourage speaking gibberish are not very good at critical reading skills. It was clearly God completely removing any language barriers for a while.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

It is rare these days for me to get a Chick tract I don't already have, but this is one of them. Here is the very first printing of the very first Chick tract:

This lovely picture was removed shortly thereafter:

Speaking of rare tracts, I finally got around to scanning The Secret Weapon, which is easily the rarest Chick tract printed in the last 30 years:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Won't somebody think of the literature?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I grew up in another Christian cult that didn’t speak in tongues and we’d always attribute their speaking in tongues as demon possession. One day I watched Jesus Camp and the camp leader just said to the kids “we’re going to speak in tongues now, shalalalalalabungbung.” And they all just did it. I was mildly surprised they didn’t at least fake a fade-in ofnthe babbling, it was just a thing they did to work themselves up. And it worked pretty well at doing that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I found a set of the legendary Pagan Invasion videos:

The seller tossed in this magazine and told me to be sure to read it. I haven't yet, but I will.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hell, same.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Invasion of the Godmen sounds like a pretty solid dime novel.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pvt.Scott posted:

Invasion of the Godmen sounds like a pretty solid dime novel.

It sounds like a 70's full-on cocaine addicted David Bowie album.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

tag yourself I'm Joseph Smith's Temple of Doom

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Thank you for continuing to post all this weird stuff. This is a weird question, but are there any physical measurements for those Chick tracts out there? Sometimes I entertain the idea of joining the long, long, long line of folks who've made mockeries of those things, and I figure I might as well get details as basic as the size right.

Secondly, this probably goes here.
https://twitter.com/ThatPazuzu/status/1186804522435403782

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Magazine lady: :words::words::words::words::words:

Holy gently caress, this dumbshit is insufferable.

'Mmmah! I saw Hair and Star Wars and they never once proclaimed Jesus Christ as out Lord and savior mmmah!!!"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

Thank you for continuing to post all this weird stuff. This is a weird question, but are there any physical measurements for those Chick tracts out there? Sometimes I entertain the idea of joining the long, long, long line of folks who've made mockeries of those things, and I figure I might as well get details as basic as the size right.

I'm pretty sure they are 2.5" x 5", but you might want to measure one just to be sure. I'd do it, but I am at work, tractless.

This book has a page that shows you how to lay out your own tract:

I was hoping it was also on the author's website, but I can't find it. I'll bring the book to work tomorrow and scan that page.

Speaking of that book, Kurt Kuersteiner says he'll be doing a kickstarter for a heavily revised version that has ALL of Chick's tracts. The original version is the best source for Chick tract collecting available so the new version should be awesome. Also, cheaper since he's doing it himself instead of going through another publisher.

Ahh, Veggietales. I almost forgot that show existed!

Christian programming is so bizarre. I remember seeing a Christian weightlifting show on TBN about 15 years ago. It was nothing but guys on steroids power lifting and screaming "Praise Jesus!" "Jesus, help me lift this!" and so on for half an hour. I wonder if it's on YouTube....

Also, Bible Man with Willie Ames from Charles in Charge was pretty special.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 25, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Miss posted:

tag yourself I'm Joseph Smith's Temple of Doom

I'm the pathway to deception.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Christian programming is so bizarre. I remember seeing a Christian weightlifting show on TBN about 15 years ago. It was nothing but guys on steroids power lifting and screaming "Praise Jesus!" "Jesus, help me lift this!" and so on for half an hour. I wonder if it's on YouTube....

I'm pretty sure that's the power team ministry (https://www.thepowerteam.com). They did a presentation at my high school back in the mid-90's. I was never sure how it was legal in a public school.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

empty baggie posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the power team ministry (https://www.thepowerteam.com). They did a presentation at my high school back in the mid-90's. I was never sure how it was legal in a public school.

Yes! I think that might be it. Either that, or there are multiple groups of powerlifting Christian evangelists.

I never saw anything like that at my public high school. I did, however, see a cop who dressed up as Elvis and sang about law & order:

I got a free cassette of this at the time, but unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

Oh god, it's even worse than I remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obml0MsgxVk

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

Here is the template I mentioned yesterday:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, excellent, I thought I was gonna have to figure all that stuff out myself. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the Kickstarter for the new version of the book, because it's not like I have enough crazy weirdo bullshit around here.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

empty baggie posted:

The church I was a part of in the mid 90's had these guys as guest one Sunday evening. Our pastor even performed with them (he was a beefy thick guy, but not like a weight lifter or anything).

They did all kinds of strong man tricks like tear phone books in half break 2x4 boards by running through them. Stuff that looks impressive and is hard to do, but is more about knowing how to do rather than being awesomely strong.

Before or after each trick, they would ask God for the strength to do whatever impossible thing they were doing, or thank him for giving them the power.

The funny part about it is that our pastor would work tearing phone books in half in to about half of his sermons for about a month afterwards.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #303 - Is That All? (2019)

A new tract was released on Saturday. It is the 10th by David Daniels/ Fred Carter.

You can read the whole thing here:

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=1177

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The crusaders always manage to impress me with how batshit the plots are

Chick missed his calling directing exploitation films

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
We can not let this panel go un commented:

I mean, I wasn't sure where this comic was going, but for a second I was kind of excited.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Those are some buff, swole Warriors of Christ.