Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's looking like the left third of the display on my T440p is starting to crap itself. I could probably try and replace that, but the system is also starting to show its age when running some of my work software. I don't use it as a primary gaming platform, but it should at least be capable since sometimes I do use it for that purpose when I'm not at home to use my desktop. At the moment I'm looking at somewhere in the range of 1000-1400 USD. At the moment the Zephyrus G and similar are what I am considering since I wasn't able to configure a T series how I wanted within budget. Any other options I should be looking at? I suspect the answer will ultimately be wait to see if there are any sales next month, but I'd like to have a list of models to keep an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, he did, one thing to keep in mind is that the GTX 1650 in it is a Max-Q part, not the full power version.

Which is as it should be.

Come to think of it, have there been any non-MaxQ 1650 laptops? All the lineups I've seen so far skip it entirely and go straight to the 1660Ti, but I haven't really looked that hard, either.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

kirtar posted:

It's looking like the left third of the display on my T440p is starting to crap itself.

A big part of the question is going to be "how much GPU do you want?" since the T440p was pretty anemic on that front, and also how much battery/weight are you looking for? The answer to "high end gaming on a system that moves once a week" vs "I'm ok with everything on medium and it needs to last a business day every day" are pretty different, of course.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I suspect that digging into the various configurations of the 1650 would be rather amusing ... probably so drat many

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DrDork posted:

A big part of the question is going to be "how much GPU do you want?" since the T440p was pretty anemic on that front, and also how much battery/weight are you looking for? The answer to "high end gaming on a system that moves once a week" vs "I'm ok with everything on medium and it needs to last a business day every day" are pretty different, of course.

With respect to battery, I would prefer if it lasts at least 4-5 hours on general light activity like web browsing/office suite. Weightwise, I have the 9 cell battery on my current machine putting it around 5 lb, and I'd be ok with going up to around 5.5 lb since I do carry it around campus every day. I'm ok with playing things on medium on the go, though I won't say no to more power as long as my other criteria are satisfied.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Surface Laptop 3 13 inch gets a 5 repairability score from iFixit, so that's got it going for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpXizbzeRoc

Still no hide nor hair of any actual reviews, and some really lazy reviews on the Pro 7.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It is fairly annoying that Razer doesn't list it as Max Q and that all the news sites (and even some early reviews) don't bother to clarify, either. I was surprised D2D waited so long in his video to say it as it's kind of the centerpiece of the GTX stealth.

Notebookcheck (and that tech tablets video which I somehow never came across) had it as Max Q from the day it was announced, but for ages they were the only one and there was some speculation because of the 100w brick.

It's scummy when manufacturers aren't clearer about this, and incompetent when tech "news" websites and channels don't report it.

Razer does list their 2070 and 2080 options as max q, so its clearly omitted in the Stealth to generate hype and misinform customers who don't do their due diligence.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 25, 2019

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Surface Laptop 3 13 inch gets a 5 repairability score from iFixit, so that's got it going for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpXizbzeRoc

Still no hide nor hair of any actual reviews, and some really lazy reviews on the Pro 7.
Very, very short and lazy Surface Laptop 3 review incoming:

I pre-ordered the 13 inch SL3 and have been using it a couple days. I don't have much to say by way of comparison, since I've never had an ultrabook like this before, but it is a really great productivity machine. It looks great and has a solid build. Really, really great keyboard - I'm honestly shocked by how good it feels to type on, which is good since I'm going to be using it primarily for long-form writing.

It's super fast, too. I got the 16gb ram i7 and it really flies in opening and switching between programs. I've actually been able to run some games on it! I was playing Fallout New Vegas earlier, and it ran surprisingly smoothly on good settings. I know the Intel processor the SL3 has an upgraded integrated graphics component, but it's better than I expected.

Overall, from what I've read, I think a lot of the positives are pretty similar to the positives of the SL2. It's a very high-quality machine for what most people are going to want out of it.

That said, what someone said earlier is true - the battery life is pretty disappointing. I'm at about 50% right now after booting it up 4 hours ago and doing some light use writing and streaming. That'll end up working okay for me, but I could see it being a problem if you're on the move a lot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Graviija posted:

Very, very short and lazy Surface Laptop 3 review incoming:

I pre-ordered the 13 inch SL3 and have been using it a couple days. I don't have much to say by way of comparison, since I've never had an ultrabook like this before, but it is a really great productivity machine. It looks great and has a solid build. Really, really great keyboard - I'm honestly shocked by how good it feels to type on, which is good since I'm going to be using it primarily for long-form writing.

It's super fast, too. I got the 16gb ram i7 and it really flies in opening and switching between programs. I've actually been able to run some games on it! I was playing Fallout New Vegas earlier, and it ran surprisingly smoothly on good settings. I know the Intel processor the SL3 has an upgraded integrated graphics component, but it's better than I expected.

Overall, from what I've read, I think a lot of the positives are pretty similar to the positives of the SL2. It's a very high-quality machine for what most people are going to want out of it.

That said, what someone said earlier is true - the battery life is pretty disappointing. I'm at about 50% right now after booting it up 4 hours ago and doing some light use writing and streaming. That'll end up working okay for me, but I could see it being a problem if you're on the move a lot.

How hard can you push it before it throttles?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It is fairly annoying that Razer doesn't list it as Max Q and that all the news sites (and even some early reviews) don't bother to clarify, either. I was surprised D2D waited so long in his video to say it as it's kind of the centerpiece of the GTX stealth.

Notebookcheck (and that tech tablets video which I somehow never came across) had it as Max Q from the day it was announced, but for ages they were the only one and there was some speculation because of the 100w brick.

It's scummy when manufacturers aren't clearer about this, and incompetent when tech "news" websites and channels don't report it.

Razer does list their 2070 and 2080 options as max q, so its clearly omitted in the Stealth to generate hype and misinform customers who don't do their due diligence.

You're right they absolutely should be up front with it, but I do not understand how people expected anything else given the size of the chassis.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Found a guy who has uploaded video of playing various games on the Surface Pro 7 with i5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?josher14?videos

As expected, everything is running sub-1080p, except for Dota 2 and LoL, with everything turned to Low or Off settings, holding about 30 FPS across the board in some fashion or another, with higher FPS in the older games as you might expect. Definitely a massive step up from goddamn HD620.

Games tested:

GTAV
Fortnite
Overwatch
CSGO
Rocket League
LoL
Dota 2

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wonder why they installed that metal foil material inside the laptop?

eames
May 9, 2009

etalian posted:

I wonder why they installed that metal foil material inside the laptop?

That's likely electromagnetic shielding which is required so the device is in compliance with various regulations. I assume most of the keyboard is made out of some type of plastic which is lacking the required characteristics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Found a guy who has uploaded video of playing various games on the Surface Pro 7 with i5.
[...] Definitely a massive step up from goddamn HD620.

It's nice to see that there's progress being made on the iGPU front but on the other hand it's also worth remembering that today's iPad hardware is capable of running the same titles at twice the resolution without active cooling in a ~5W power envelope, taking Epic's Unreal engine as an example.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 26, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It just sucks that playing games on the iPad feels like butt. But they have support for xbox controllers now. Developers just need to get around to supporting it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It just sucks that playing games on the iPad feels like butt. But they have support for xbox controllers now. Developers just need to get around to supporting it.

Also being able to pay Gaben Steam games like Yakuza with a PS4 controller is a good.

Especially because Yakuza shames you at the menu load screen if you don't have a controller.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Surface Laptop 3 13 inch gets a 5 repairability score from iFixit, so that's got it going for it.

That's a big improvement, but there are still big problems here:

- If you ever remove and replace those rubber feet to open the laptop, they're gonna disappear in your bag because they'll never stick properly again. I'm not convinced that won't happen with general use anyway.
- Half-size SSD. Not the biggest deal in the world, but cuts down a lot of options for replacement.
- Battery is effectively not replaceable. This is the dealbreaker. Even if you could find reasonably priced replacement cells for this laptop, it's just not a good idea to try and rip that poo poo out of the bottom case. The only safe way to do it is a total bottom case replacement, which is expensive, wasteful and stupid.

They did so many good things here, and then shat their pants and fumbled the ball at the 10 yard line. It's so cute that they made the headphone jack modular! Somebody was trying!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm ok with the pace of progress of the platform, as fence sitter content to let it mature while I buy around it.

Doubly so since I think we will be in a different place by the time my 9580 and 9360 get the itch to be replaced, and I suspect , finally combined into something 14 inches.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They did so many good things here, and then shat their pants and fumbled the ball at the 10 yard line. It's so cute that they made the headphone jack modular! Somebody was trying!

Isn't the better analogy the Mark Sanchez butt fumble?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

etalian posted:

Isn't the better analogy the Mark Sanchez butt fumble?

Nah, this won't be the only thing Microsoft is remembered for.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

- If you ever remove and replace those rubber feet to open the laptop, they're gonna disappear in your bag because they'll never stick properly again. I'm not convinced that won't happen with general use anyway.
- Half-size SSD. Not the biggest deal in the world, but cuts down a lot of options for replacement.
- Battery is effectively not replaceable. This is the dealbreaker. Even if you could find reasonably priced replacement cells for this laptop, it's just not a good idea to try and rip that poo poo out of the bottom case. The only safe way to do it is a total bottom case replacement, which is expensive, wasteful and stupid.

You're such a limited segment of the market they don't care. People do not take apart their laptops to repair them. I'd bet those changes were mainly done to make it easier for Microsoft to repair the computers and maybe slightly to lessen the whole "OMG Micro$oft didn't make it ezy for me to repair this is an OUTRAGE!" (which does damage, even to those who aren't going to repair it themselves).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Duck and Cover posted:

You're such a limited segment of the market they don't care. People do not take apart their laptops to repair them. I'd bet those changes were mainly done to make it easier for Microsoft to repair the computers and maybe slightly to lessen the whole "OMG Micro$oft didn't make it ezy for me to repair this is an OUTRAGE!" (which does damage, even to those who aren't going to repair it themselves).

ok cool good to know thanks

edit for substance: It actually is an outrage, it's horrible for the environment and bad for consumers. Also, Microsoft made a real big show of it during the reveal and it was a headline feature in major coverage of the thing. They definitely care, they're definitely trying, and they're definitely not doing a good enough job yet.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 26, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit for substance: It actually is an outrage, it's horrible for the environment and bad for consumers.

You're right, but so is he: the segment of people willing to open their laptop for ANY reason, let alone to actually try to repair it, is tiny in general.

If anything, this kinda strikes me as a way for them to be able to provide warranty repair support without forcing you to always give up your laptop and the data on it--I know there are plenty of firms (and people) that simply won't consider buying any laptop they can't pull the drive out of before they ship it for repair.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ok cool good to know thanks

edit for substance: It actually is an outrage, it's horrible for the environment and bad for consumers. Also, Microsoft made a real big show of it during the reveal and it was a headline feature in major coverage of the thing. They definitely care, they're definitely trying, and they're definitely not doing a good enough job yet.

Are you saying its... problematic?

Non-removable storage is Apple-esque cancer and they needed to knock that poo poo off, but nobody should be encouraging normies to gently caress around with their soft case lipos.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, let's be honest, the Surface line has not really been aimed at the idea that it would last long enough for a battery replacement to even be needed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AgentCow007 posted:

Are you saying its... problematic?

Non-removable storage is Apple-esque cancer and they needed to knock that poo poo off, but nobody should be encouraging normies to gently caress around with their soft case lipos.

I'm definitely saying it's... problematic. Is that a trigger word or something?

They could mostly solve the problem by just using adhesive pull-strips like everybody else does by now. It's a dumb choice.

edit: also what do you think is safer for "normies", a battery that has a safe way to detach from the case, or a battery that literally explodes if you try?

edit edit: vvv agreed, I think the sane middle ground is basically "field repairable" batteries like lenovo and dell do.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 26, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I miss swappable batteries but I'm not sure when the last time I would have had use out of a swappable battery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 26, 2019

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Speaking of laptop longevity....my Dell Latitude E6410's screen finally died (pinched it in the wrong place and something broke internally) and at this point I figure it's not worth repairing. If I want another laptop that'll last a decade should I still go with a (refurbished) Latitude or are there cheaper laptops with good build quality? This is for personal use so I don't need the high-end specs but I don't want to replace my computer every few years either.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

* Rubber feet are what they are, you either deal with it, or you get industrial-strength double-sided tape. :devil: My personal stash is from a company called Bron, they sell a tape I use for holding parts down while machining called "Killer Red", that I sometimes can't use because *I sometimes risk damaging parts trying to peel them up from it*.
* Half-sized SSD, yes, but it's an industry standard, and Toshiba has some out commercially available. What is more concerning, though, is that because the PCB is so goddamn small, you can only fit one flash chip on there, so you lose the benefits of parallelism reading or writing to many flash chips at once, and that puts a hard cap on performance that is inherent to the physical form factor, and not something that can be worked around, not really. Would I have preferred they put a larger M.2 drive in there? Absolutely. Will I take a slightly worse performance device with a standard form-factor and/or interface over either Apple's recovery header bullshit, or, worse yet, soldered-on storage? You bet your goddamn underpants I will.
* You're totally right on this.

eames posted:

It's nice to see that there's progress being made on the iGPU front but on the other hand it's also worth remembering that today's iPad hardware is capable of running the same titles at twice the resolution without active cooling in a ~5W power envelope, taking Epic's Unreal engine as an example.

All I gotta say is, since Intel kept up on iGPU as much as they did their CPUs, it's no wonder performance is down where it is now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 27, 2019

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Is the Lenovo T470 still a recommended "do everything" laptop? My brother's looking for one to finish out college with in that under $1000 range.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Erg posted:

Is the Lenovo T470 still a recommended "do everything" laptop? My brother's looking for one to finish out college with in that under $1000 range.

T470 should be able to get for $500 now - 480/490 would be preferred if you have $1000

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Apparently the new Surface book pro 15" has worse battery life during things like video playback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjf31AOKAI&t=472s

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

etalian posted:

Apparently the new Surface book pro 15" has worse battery life during things like video playback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjf31AOKAI&t=472s

Same size battery as the 13 right?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The battery life is probably the biggest disappointment of this generation of surface laptops. The lack of thunderbolt is also a shame.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit edit: vvv agreed, I think the sane middle ground is basically "field repairable" batteries like lenovo and dell do.

Wanted to isolate this part to agree w it because (i havent tried lenovo yet, never owned or operated one) even though they aren't batteries you'd reload like a magazine or something in the field, if you were even minorly confident in your ability to..basically own an erector set.. at least you can swap a bad/aging one easily

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Same size battery as the 13 right?

Yup they both have 45.8 W/hr battery pack.

Not surprising that it would be not competitive given the battery size and also AMD CPUs aren't as efficient in things such as video stress test as the Intel U-series of CPUs.

The weight of 3.6 lbs 15" Surface 3 is not much less than competing laptops in the same 15" range which don't use the heavier 4K screen.

For example the dell XPS 15 is 3.9 lbs for the FHD version while the 4K version weighs in at 4.76 lbs (98 Watt/hr)

The X1 Extreme 15.6" (80 Watt/hr) is 3.76 lbs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Apparently you can get a 15" Surface Laptop 3 with Intel chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F0WDu0_tn0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The surface book 3 concept just sinks
-Worse battery life than the competition (only 48.5 Watt/Hr even for larger 15")
-Worse part replacement or upgrades due to using a weird SSD form factor / soldered RAM
-EMI foil/shielding on the inside which can easily get torn
-Worse video/gaming performance since it doesn't use Nvidia 1050/1060 GPU
-Negligible weight / footprint advantage vs similar 15" general use competition (XPS, Thinkpad, HP Envy)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Erg posted:

Yeah T series is great for college kids. Very durable, 14" is pretty much the latest portable laptop size at this point for taking to class etc

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

etalian posted:

The surface book 3 concept just sinks
-Worse battery life than the competition (only 48.5 Watt/Hr even for larger 15")
-Worse part replacement or upgrades due to using a weird SSD form factor / soldered RAM
-EMI foil/shielding on the inside which can easily get torn
-Worse video/gaming performance since it doesn't use Nvidia 1050/1060 GPU
-Negligible weight / footprint advantage vs similar 15" general use competition (XPS, Thinkpad, HP Envy)

Stop this. Stop shopping by metrics it makes the quality for things worse since it can't be easily measured.

1. Okay sure, but I imagine most people don't need more battery. Easy to measure that though. I like when companies just lie/ruin the experience to get run time numbers.
2. It isn't worse, Microsoft has stores most people aren't going to take apart their laptops.
3. Can it? Okay. I assume it's their for a reason but I don't care enough to look it up.
4. Yeah it isn't trying to be a gaming machine/heavy video editing machine.
5. Sure. Except that XPS is a Dell and I find Dells to be garbage relying on being so cheap people forgive the bad build quality.

I've had a Lenovo Thinkpad, and a Dell they weren't as nice as my Surface Book so, so yeah there's a reason you might want the Microsoft laptop. Just because a computer isn't designed for you doesn't mean it "just stinks".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it’s also not even the surface book 3 it’s from an entirely different line of products