Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does that show ever get good? I've never been about to sit through more than like half an ep of it.

Criminal Intent or the Shield? Either way, yes. The best CI is the one with Stephen Colbert as a doctor who did a murder. Or any of the ones with Detective Jeff Goldblum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

snoremac posted:

It rules which is why Chapo's mocking Kurt Sutter confused me at first but apparently he had less control over it than in his later shows.

It wasn't his. Shawn Ryan created it, which is why it's decidedly less "aww hell yeah these dudes are badass" for most of the run and the end of the show is Vic Mackey getting away with everything but he's trapped in an empty shell of a life, his family is gone, his friends are dead or in jail, he can't even be a psycho on the street anymore. He got what he wanted, and it sucks. Also the strike team are a dysfunctional band of assholes who fight constantly and nobody can stay near them for long and it's not romanticized at all, the shield is one of the best cop shows

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Jeep posted:

the shield wasn't his "baby" at all, he was first hired as a writer or something like that during the first season
sons of anarchy is his thing from beginning to end and it shows (it's poo poo)

he took over as co-showrunner after the 4th season and was responsible for a lot of the show's direction toward the end

you can tell when sutter was steering the ship because vic mackey's one-liners start sounding like he was hit in the head with a hammer similar to sons of anarchy

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The only negative in trying to watch the Shield now is that Vic and the team are unrepentant, awful assholes and it's a long show, which may be a bummer, especially when you know how much of it was based on real events. You're in for a long ride before a very satisfying ending. They're smart enough to come up with plot reasons to give viewers a break toward the middle at least.

Criminal Intent is a supremely weird show. The actual idea of showing the criminal's side during the investigation doesn't work well, if I remember right. But if you like Vincent D'Onofrio being weird and intense there's a whole lot of that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does that show ever get good? I've never been about to sit through more than like half an ep of it.

Honestly I've never seen the first two seasons, once Glenn Close and especially Anthony Anderson show up it's great, and stuck the landing better than anything else I've ever seen.

Like holy poo poo the Kangaroo Jack guy is loving terrifying.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 25, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Criminal Intent is a supremely weird show. The actual idea of showing the criminal's side during the investigation doesn't work well, if I remember right. But if you like Vincent D'Onofrio being weird and intense there's a whole lot of that.

the problem with vincent d'onofrio is he's not really an actor so much as a catalog of physical tics that does the occasional line reading

shame on an IGA posted:

Honestly I've never seen the first two seasons, once Glenn Close and especially Anthony Anderson show up it's great, and stuck the landing better than anything else I've ever seen.

the whole show pretty much revolves around the consequences of the two major events of the first couple seasons- the strike team killing crowley and robbing the armenian mob

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 25, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the problem with vincent d'onofrio is he's not really an actor so much as a catalog of physical tics that does the occasional line reading

the whole show pretty much revolves around the consequences of the two major events of the first couple seasons- the strike team killing crowley and robbing the armenian mob

Yeah but Previously, on The Shield

"I killed

a cop

pah"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It also has real good standalone plots like the psychological battle of Dutch vs the smug serial killer from season 1.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This is a weird derail. I like The Wire. The cop show with Tim Selleck is pure poo poo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

big boi posted:

This is a weird derail. I like The Wire. The cop show with Tim Selleck is pure poo poo

magnum pi.........?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Blue Bloods

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This Sorbo movie sounds insane

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

net work error posted:

This Sorbo movie sounds insane

I was expecting Red Dawn but with antifa but not surprised at all this is what we ended up with.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

shame on an IGA posted:

Like holy poo poo the Kangaroo Jack guy is loving terrifying.

The Glenn Close/Anthony Anderson season is the best season.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

scary ghost dog posted:

magnum pi.........?

Magnum was a private investigator, not a cop. :spergin:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

prefect posted:

Magnum was a private investigator, not a cop. :spergin:

right.....forgot thats what “pi” stood for. thought for a minute it was the math thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I make a hobby out of watching the worst movies I can find, but movies like that just actively hurt your brain to watch them. Everything is so disjointed that it's like being shown a series of unrelated flash cards for 80 minutes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

snoremac posted:

It also has real good standalone plots like the psychological battle of Dutch vs the smug serial killer from season 1.

There's a subplot that got dropped that I wish they hadn't that was exploring Dutch being a borderline psychopath himself, there's the one where he strangles a cat and it's never mentioned again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dreffen posted:

Forest Whittaker tho, and then Michael Chiklis loving his wife

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

dreffen posted:

drat, everyone is saying this while i checked out right before they joined.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's a subplot that got dropped that I wish they hadn't that was exploring Dutch being a borderline psychopath himself, there's the one where he strangles a cat and it's never mentioned again

I took the cat strangling and lack of follow up as Dutch realizing that he is not actually a psychopath

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dreffen posted:

Is Anthony Anderson a good dramatic actor? All the comedic stuff I've seen him in (which is admittedly not that much) I've found him super annoying.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The closing song is a banger
https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/u-give-me-3nergy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I took the cat strangling and lack of follow up as Dutch realizing that he is not actually a psychopath

i thought it was him finally realizing he was being manipulated by that serial killer he'd interviewed

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Is Anthony Anderson a good dramatic actor? All the comedic stuff I've seen him in (which is admittedly not that much) I've found him super annoying.

the only serious role I've seen him in is the shield but he crushes it
much like the multiple sexual assault allegations he's had

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

scary ghost dog posted:

right.....forgot thats what “pi” stood for. thought for a minute it was the math thing

drat, Magnum P.I. was such a kickass show. :allears:

I was very weirded out when I heard the word "Iraq" in the song.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

A magnum pi is called tau

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

slavoj mentioned an icelandic author, did anybody catch the name/know the novels enough to recommend some icelandic crime thrillers

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

An Apple A Gay posted:

slavoj mentioned an icelandic author, did anybody catch the name/know the novels enough to recommend some icelandic crime thrillers
Fairly certain it was Arnaldur Indriðason. Trapped is the TV show he recommended.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

cool thanks

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
A show about IA investigators taking down crooked cops would own so hard.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Fairly certain it was Arnaldur Indriðason. Trapped is the TV show he recommended.

Did I mishear while listening to the podcast while doing chores, or did he also say he was watching Dark?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TerminalSaint posted:

ACAC

All cops are crooked

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

TerminalSaint posted:

Line of Duty?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

A show about Chris Dorner taking down crooked cops would own so hard.

Fixed it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If they do another season of American Crime Story it should be Chris Dorner

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Will Menaker, co-host of the popular podcast Chapo Trap House, says he’s never received an invitation from Mark — although when pressed, he admits, “I don’t check the email very often.”

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
In the latest ep they pointed out that when the god-doubting guy carved "why" into a tree it would be a major plot point later, but then they never explained it :(

Guess I need to go watch the movie myself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

papa horny michael posted:

Will Menaker, co-host of the popular podcast Chapo Trap House, says he’s never received an invitation from Mark — although when pressed, he admits, “I don’t check the email very often.”

Mark who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TerminalSaint posted:

Cop dramas are unrealistic enough as it is.