Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still have dozens and dozens of albums that do this. Doesn’t matter if it’s synced, or via Match. Been like it for years. Fine in iTunes in any machine. It’s deciding the song name is the Group tag I set (before iTunes implemented its Recently Added it was a nice way of tracking what I was listening to at certain points).

I've been really jamming out to PRODUCTION MASTER FILE: 16bit, 44100kHz lately. poo poo slaps.

In my case, it was using the "Work and movement" tags. This conversation prompted me to fix it, finally.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shart Carbuncle posted:

This conversation prompted me to fix it, finally.

By hand, or is there something that can be run? I'm wondering if I filter to everything that has a Group tag and remove it, whether it'll work and resync. Probably not knowing my luck, and I'll lose my collections I have based around this. Not that I use them often, but sometimes I'll be listening to something knowing I added a poo poo ton of things that sounded similar at the same time, and I can quickly find them.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

EL BROMANCE posted:

By hand, or is there something that can be run? I'm wondering if I filter to everything that has a Group tag and remove it, whether it'll work and resync. Probably not knowing my luck, and I'll lose my collections I have based around this. Not that I use them often, but sometimes I'll be listening to something knowing I added a poo poo ton of things that sounded similar at the same time, and I can quickly find them.

I did it by hand, but I only had a couple of wonky albums.

If you select multiple songs/albums and edit the tags, it'll apply to all of them, including updating in the cloud and on all your devices (eventually).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Is there anything I can do to get my work MacBook to shut off the Bluetooth when I close the lid and it's on battery power? I'm sick of forgetting to turn off the Bluetooth at the end of the day and then heading to open it back up when I want to use my headphones with my phone instead.

As this is a work computer, I can't install anything unless it gets approved.

I guess this isn't possible?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I use a 2017 mbp 13" as my daily driver and I had to use a Dell 5530 to do some testing last week and omg the keys feel so so good. Stupid butterfly keys.

I type must faster on newer keyboards with less travel. I used an old MacBook Air last week and it felt mushy and slow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I did it by hand, but I only had a couple of wonky albums.

If you select multiple songs/albums and edit the tags, it'll apply to all of them, including updating in the cloud and on all your devices (eventually).

Might have to give it a test run. I’m sure I tried years back and I couldn’t get it to fix but maybe somethings changed. Thanks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I found a cool Github project that takes any Chromecast/UPNP devices and makes them compatible with AirPlay. It has to be running on a computer at all times on your network, though:

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Docker version: https://github.com/1activegeek/docker-airconnect

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Luna Display has a Mac to Mac mode now

https://lunadisplay.com/pages/meet-mac-to-mac-mode

You can use that old iMac as a secondary display now (as long as it can run 10.8)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You can use that old iMac as a secondary display now (as long as it can run 10.8)

A third-party app recreating functionality that Apple removed from macOS is an unusual inversion of their typical MO.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

You also need a MiniDisplayPort dongle/converter or a USB-C port available.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So what? How else do you think it would work? You plug a dongle into your Mac and then you can send it to any other Mac

So you can use any Mac laptop as a second monitor, or an iMac that doesn't have target display mode

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Gay Retard posted:

I found a cool Github project that takes any Chromecast/UPNP devices and makes them compatible with AirPlay. It has to be running on a computer at all times on your network, though:

This sounds pretty handy. Have you tried it out yet?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qutius posted:

This sounds pretty handy. Have you tried it out yet?

Yep! I have a server running Unraid, so I have the docker running so I can Airplay to my Vizio Chromecast soundbar and Roku streaming stick in the bedroom. It looks like Sonos speakers work great as well, but mine already have Airplay 2 functionality.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Im trying out the "unlock my mac" thing with my iWatch v5 and 2015 MBP and it's only working intermittently. I have it turned on the mac, and it's worked a few times, but it seems to randomly do so. Is there some setting I should be looking for?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gay Retard posted:

Aww, it's AirPlay audio only.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Aww, it's AirPlay audio only.

AirServer can do Airplay video mirroring in software on Windows, Mac, Xbox, and some Philips TVs, for a possible alternative.

eames
May 9, 2009

Firefox 70 is finally usable for me on macOS, I recommend checking it out. The energy efficiency improvements made a big difference on my MBP.

It's still not as efficient as Safari but the devs hinted that there are more improvements in the works (Metal support for the rendering engine or something along these lines?) and native PiP is also coming at some point.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well, MacOS did an update last night overnight because I clicked "later" on it, so when I woke up this morning it had completed it. Now Music won't sync.

Everything seems to be frozen after that update went through. I put new music in iTunes for the day, and it wasn't showing up on my phone. I synced again, no change. Then I found the music was missing from the Music app (can I just say here quickly how much I hate that they took away "iTunes"?). It seems that every time I quit the app, iTunes just loses whatever changes I made to it. My new album shows up in the Finder where it should be, and the iTunes music library file says it is updated as of a few minutes ago as I've been tinkering with this, but that album doesn't show up in the library.

I tried to roll my computer back to the OS I had yesterday, but for some reason when I try to have the restore utility login to my Synology drive, it just closes the login dialog box. I went to Terminal and was able to login as that user, it just seems that Apple doesn't want me to actually restore.

I'm extremely OCD about my music, so this is giving me quite the stress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's some stuff just off the top of my head:

-Is the music DRMed at all? It's not likely in the year 2019 but I had to ask. If it is, you should de-authorized/re-authorize. Maybe in sign out and back into iTunes.

-From what you said, you can add the music, it shows up in Music, but then if you close/re-open it's not there. It almost sounds like the iTunes DB file or whatever it uses is not working right. You might want to run First Aid, and then to be sure, reset your home folder permissions.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I hope you've got a second backup!

When I rolled back to Mojave I had to restore from my secondary USB drive TM, the main one on a Qnap NAS wouldn't connect until after the restoration had completed and even then, it would only start a new one. The old backup appears to have been altered by Catalina so that it only works on that.

As an added bonus, now the old backup is just sort of sitting on the NAS taking up space, and I'd rather not delete it just in case.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 24, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I did First Aid, and nothing.

Interestingly, I played some songs, quit the program, and then reopened the app. It is saving that I played that music, so the library file seems to be updating. I added that album again, quit, and reopened, and it's there now.

I don't know. I ended up wiping and restoring my phone from an iCloud backup just to see if that'll do anything. I still had the tens of copies of my iTunes playlists on my phone that don't show up in iTunes, only on the phone, so it was maybe due for another attempt at a clean start, thanks to Apple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sign up for iTunes Match and never connect your phone to your computer ever again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not giving Apple more money after this!

(Real answer is I tried Match like 2 years ago and it was worse for syncing music's play times and dates.)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A friend of mine is asking for my help.

He has a Macbook Air from approx 2013, and it has Microsoft Office 2011 installed on it. He upgraded to Catalina, and MS Office, specifically Outlook, won't work now as it's a 32 bit program. He signed up for and has Office 365 installed now, but rather than replacing and upgrading Outlook 2011, there are just two versions of Outlook on his machine. He really needs all his archived emails from Outlook 2011, but since he cannot open Outlook 2011, he can't export a .pst file (or the mac equivalent).

Is there anyway he can copy his emails from Outlook 2011 while on Catalina? I've tried googling this a bunch, but everything always starts with "export your .pst file", that or it's a clickbait article about how Catalina sucks because of the 32 bit thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

A friend of mine is asking for my help.

He has a Macbook Air from approx 2013, and it has Microsoft Office 2011 installed on it. He upgraded to Catalina, and MS Office, specifically Outlook, won't work now as it's a 32 bit program. He signed up for and has Office 365 installed now, but rather than replacing and upgrading Outlook 2011, there are just two versions of Outlook on his machine. He really needs all his archived emails from Outlook 2011, but since he cannot open Outlook 2011, he can't export a .pst file (or the mac equivalent).

Is there anyway he can copy his emails from Outlook 2011 while on Catalina? I've tried googling this a bunch, but everything always starts with "export your .pst file", that or it's a clickbait article about how Catalina sucks because of the 32 bit thing.

It's probably in ~/Library/Outlook or some such folder. (I don't use Outlook on this computer, but it probably hides the .pst in that hidden library folder.)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...12-2f63c16fc3d7

Nevermind me.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 24, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I would download Mojave and install it on an external USB drive, boot from that, install the relevant Outlook versions in Mojave, copy the outlook mail database to the Mojave drive, export it to the new format, then boot back into Catalina to copy it back and test. Once everything’s good the external Mojave boot disk can be wiped and used for something else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BobHoward posted:

I would download Mojave and install it on an external USB drive, boot from that, install the relevant Outlook versions in Mojave, copy the outlook mail database to the Mojave drive, export it to the new format, then boot back into Catalina to copy it back and test. Once everything’s good the external Mojave boot disk can be wiped and used for something else.

That is a great idea, thanks both of you for replying. I've found some guides for how to install on a USB drive and boot from it, but will that give me access to the Outlook 2011 installation that's on the home drive? I'm not that familiar with macs, so maybe it's a dumb question. But for example if you did this with windows, and booted from a different installation on a thumb drive you couldn't run Outlook that was installed on the main hard drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

No. You'd have to reinstall Outlook 2011 on the temporary Mojave install.

What email provider does he use? There's little reason to archive emails anymore. Once you get Outlook 2011 running again, just dump his archived emails back into his mail (in folders if needed for organization), let that poo poo sync back with his email and you're done.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 25, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

In other news, someone is still using Outlook for personal use. :effort:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Outlook on my Mac, my Windows and my iOS device. It's actually pretty good, what's wrong with it? For connecting to IMAP and Exchange it's a pretty competent client on all platforms.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pivo posted:

I use Outlook on my Mac, my Windows and my iOS device. It's actually pretty good, what's wrong with it? For connecting to IMAP and Exchange it's a pretty competent client on all platforms.

It's proprietary nonsense that hasn't innovated in like 10 years and has no usable advanced features. It's bloated and bad, and so are you for using it. :colbert:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

XBenedict posted:

It's proprietary nonsense that hasn't innovated in like 10 years and has no usable advanced features. It's bloated and bad, and so are you for using it. :colbert:

But enough about MacOS...

:cheeky:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My biggest problem with Outlook is search folders, which don’t really work even with the most basic criteria. Also, when you organize your view by folder, it is not in alphabetical order but, as far as I can tell, completely at random, and oldest is on top by default, which is the opposite of the default view.

There are many other behaviors in the Mac version which are different from the Windows version. If you move an email into a folder it marks it as read instead of leaving it unread. Maybe that’s your preference but it’s the opposite of Windows, so it makes the user experience inconsistent and unpredictable.

I tried for a while to use my Mac for “work from home” but eventually caved and set up my desk for my work laptop, 90% because of Outlook, 10% shared folders.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OH look we are bitching about Outlook. My god Outlook 365 2019 whatever version sucks. My current constant issue with like 10 clients is the loving thing wont search contacts randomly. Nevermind the interface just getting more and more stupid. 2010 was the last good Office version. Can we get a normal open/save file dialog box for fucks sake?!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nice, an outlook bitchfest. i'll join in:

I set up my automatic replies in outlook (office 365 web version), but I did it on my phone and the option to turn off the auto replies after a certain date was ... just not there. I couldn't find it and I accidentally left them on when I came back from a conference and i had never done that before. thanks Colton, the HR guy for reminding me they were still on!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My only real beef with Outlook is when I’m trying to pick a date for a meeting and I slide the calendar left/right with my trackpad in availability view, it staggers for a second and when it finally updates the display I find myself in the year 2027.

Also please, for the love of god, just show me all meeting rooms with availability for my proposed period, don’t make me wade through all 40 and stare at the booking bars. Whatever mail/calendar client gives me this feature will win my heart forever.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Outlook (for Mac) is one of the worst goddamn abominations ever written.

The ancient plugin system doesn't help it. I get at least a random crash a week that also doesn't send the message when trying to create Zoom meetings that are sending an external invite.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Outlook (for Mac) is one of the worst goddamn abominations ever written.

The ancient plugin system doesn't help it. I get at least a random crash a week that also doesn't send the message when trying to create Zoom meetings that are sending an external invite.
the latest one is still a massive improvement over the prior version which would straight up not work at all.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
The concept of searching in Outlook is so loving bad. In the PC version, if you start searching, it will search all folders (and maybe even all mailboxes, it's been a while and I forget). In Outlook for Mac, you have to just go one folder at a time, and there's no easy way to non-GUI search for attachments.

Gmail: "has:attachment"
Outlook for Mac: "<search string>", click Advanced, click dropdown, choose Attachments, click second dropdown, choose Exists, hit enter

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Who even needs email. Set up a rule to send it all to your trash. If someone emails you something important, they'll call in a few days.