Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Cool. Do I need to be running a VM of an older version of Windows to get the client to run?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Cool. Do I need to be running a VM of an older version of Windows to get the client to run?

I've had mine run on Win 10 and Win 7 without issues.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

You shouldn't need to, no. I might recommend using WinEQ to help with some issues though.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139727

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Nah it runs in Win 10 just fine.

The only thing is that there's a few things that run awkwardly, like ladders will feel REAL odd. Getting around Cabilis is really hard by default.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

You shouldn't need to, no. I might recommend using WinEQ to help with some issues though.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139727

This'll sort those issues.

Its possible to play without, but like I said, some things like ladders are going to be frustrating to use.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Bard or Shadowknight for green

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's a tough call.

For me I'm split between Enchanter, Magician and Druid.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Bard or Shadowknight for green

Bard. Live the life of a king.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gildiss posted:

Bard. Live the life of a king.

For context they're limiting AOE to 4 mobs for some period of time since apparently in classic there was a bug preventing more mobs from getting hit, so bards won't be Swarm Fucker 3000's

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

For context they're limiting AOE to 4 mobs for some period of time since apparently in classic there was a bug preventing more mobs from getting hit, so bards won't be Swarm Fucker 3000's

I was a bard when P99 first released and didnt know about that extreme kiting.

It still rules.
Every group wants you.
The speed is unmatched.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Thanks. I look forward to experiencing these new and exciting levels of jankiness now that I'm an adult.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 22, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Really messed up this quote/edit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

If anything that's more reason to be bard then. You'll be earning it and not cheesing, others wont' be as jealous, and there'll be fewer other bards around as a result, making you more special.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
SKs are so much fun. I'd make a human this time. Just be unique and ignore all the min-maxing.

I won't be in a big rush for green server. I'll just log in and check things out. Who knows, maybe I'll stick around and hit 50?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Gray Matter posted:

You'll need the EverQuest Titanium install discs (read: ISOs). They're widely available in exactly where you'd expect, then you can use something like DaemonTools Lite to mount virtual drives and install them.

Also, yikes, Daemon Tools Lite uses a sketchy rear end installer that requires some "McAfee" bullshit to be installed along with it. Pass on that. Is WinCDEmu trustworthy?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Windows 10 has ISO mounting natively built-in, WinCDEmu is fine otherwise.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Also, yikes, Daemon Tools Lite uses a sketchy rear end installer that requires some "McAfee" bullshit to be installed along with it. Pass on that. Is WinCDEmu trustworthy?

If you have win10 it hsould be able to mount isos by default, otherwise use poweriso imo.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Keep in minds bards get a 40% hybrid xp tax for the first few months

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Huh, I didn't have to install any McAfee junk, or if it asked I just unchecked it. Also did not realize Win10 supported virtual drives, I learned something today!

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I literally read the Daemon Tools Lite install suggestion and thought "that's going to be a lot of bloatware when you could just innately mount them." I think even Windows 8 might've eventually had ISO mounting...?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone once again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gildiss posted:

I was a bard when P99 first released and didnt know about that extreme kiting.

It still rules.
Every group wants you.
The speed is unmatched.

swt

Zaphod42 posted:

If anything that's more reason to be bard then. You'll be earning it and not cheesing, others wont' be as jealous, and there'll be fewer other bards around as a result, making you more special.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, I tried swarming up to like 20 and it was pretty cool but it also made it feel pointless to do anything else

Only issue now is with no points in str with banded I was already up against the weight limit, so I have no idea what starting stats I should put. All of the guides seem to assume some level of twinking

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Pretty sure you can install 7zip or Winrar and just open the .ISO files, extract them to a folder and install form there. No need to mount (in Win 7) in Win10, just right click and mount.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
taking bets on green launch day pop peak. i'm guessing 1100.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

cmdrk posted:

taking bets on green launch day pop peak. i'm guessing 1100.

Wow that is a low guess. I'm guessing 2600.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I give it 3k peak pop one day this weekend.

Better best is how long until there's a 50 ENC + CLR and/or NEC. I'm guessing 1-2 weeks tops.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

gepgepgep posted:

I give it 3k peak pop one day this weekend.

Better best is how long until there's a 50 ENC + CLR and/or NEC. I'm guessing 1-2 weeks tops.

I bet by the end of the weekend there will be 50s. Never underestimate the eq power nerd

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Relayer posted:

I bet by the end of the weekend there will be 50s. Never underestimate the eq power nerd
I definitely do not underestimate the P99 basement dweller...but I do have a healthy respect for the slow rate of XP on P99 servers and the presence of Hell Levels. That said, sure it'll be a fun experience to read about while experiencing the sun!

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I think a week is possible with drugs

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Get ready for Classic Green with Daniel Day Lewis.

Wanna play Green? Wanna be a Halfling (or Ench)? Wanna Be Daniel Day Lewis? Now's your chance.

Join today! (Tomorrow.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Get ready for Classic Green with Daniel Day Lewis.

Wanna play Green? Wanna be a Halfling (or Ench)? Wanna Be Daniel Day Lewis? Now's your chance.

Join today! (Tomorrow.)

:wow:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
lol, over 600 people just sitting at character creation. goodness.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

green is launching in a few hours and we're going to be DANIELS and it is exciting. please create a Halfling character with a Daniel Day-Lewis face, and shout the glory of daniel's face and name to all uggos. this post is mostly for practical info, please check out the danielguild thread here~

Cleric: 25cha / 5wis (or 25wis/5cha for afk healer mode)
Druid: 25wis / 5str
Rogue: 25str / 5sta
Warrior: 25str / 5sta

advanced Daniel start: Enchanter (see danielface chart)

these are a bit out of the ordinary and you are welcome to use your own picks, but imo str kicks rear end for a launch character. note that melees are Not Good in vanilla due to gearing and balance issues.

daniels will start in or around the Rivervale area. this is the setup leg of the adventure where we blast out of the early poo poo levels. because the newbie area will likely be very busy, we've come up with a general game plan that can be done all solo but will go faster working together:

• Turn in your newbie note and put 1-4 points in Sense Heading, rest in weapon skill.
  • Make socials for /autoinventory, /hidecorpse all and looted, /loc and sense heading. Ask ingame.
  • Run Deputy Tagil's Debt repeatedly to level 3. It's good to set up a "/say deputy tagil" social for this. This is a good time to set up your UI.
  • Train up to 15 points in Tailoring. Buy initial spells at your guild, plus a Large Lantern, the 1.5pp Small Shield and up to 7 Backpacks at the bank.
  • In Misty Thicket, buy a Large Sewing Kit from Tipa Lighten. skill up offense/defense/weaponskill, and try to focus on killing bixies for at least 3 Honeycombs, and black wolves for Ruined Wolf Pets. Buy Sharpening Stones and use the forge to make Tarnished Weapons of any rusty ones you find.
  • Run more Tagils up to level 5. Ask in guild for help turning any ruined wolf pelts you got into Patchwork Armor.
  • Level to 9 in Misty, or until we feel ready for the first trek to Qeynos.

it should set everyone up with 20-25pp, reasonable skills, some Patchwork armor we can turn into a full set, and some quest items to take to Qeynos. everyone should get at least 3 Honeycombs for the (droppable/valuable) Shining Star of Light quest in Qeynos, where we'll also work on other quests like Acolyte's Anklet.

since we won't be able to afford all our spells until Qeynos at least, here are essential spell lists for Clerics/Druids/Enchanters:

code:
Enchanter Level 1: Lull, Pendril's Animation
Enchanter level 4: Color Flux, Gate, Invisibility, Mesmerize, Tash, Juli's Animation
Enchanter Level 8: Chaotic Feedback, Root, Soothe
Enchanter Level 12: Bind, Charm, Memory Blur

Druid Level 1: Burst of Flame, Flame Lick, Snare, Panic Animal
Druid Level 5: Burst of Fire, Camouflage, Cure Disease, Cure Poison, Gate, Root, Harmony, Ward Summoned
Druid Level 9: Ignite, Light Healing, Shield of Thistles, Treeform

Cleric Level 1: Cure Poison, Divine Aura, Flash of Light, Lull, Spook the Dead, Yaulp, Strike
Cleric Level 5: Cure Disease, Gate, Furor, Holy Armor, Light Healing, Stun, Summon Drink
Cleric Level 9: Center, Hammer of Wrath, Root, Fear, Soothe, Summon Food
more later when we're closer to the first Qeynos trek.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 25, 2019

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
What the christ

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'll try logging in tonight, but I won't stress if I can't get in. I am just wanting to witness the craziness.

Thinking human SK or gnome something.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How long will there be on green before kith forest has the undead at night?

Edit: is there a good list of stuff that will be added/removed over time?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2019

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Sankis posted:

How long will there be on green before kith forest has the undead at night?

Edit: is there a good list of stuff that will be added/removed over time?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2960116&postcount=1

Doesn't say anything about kith forest change.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I'll try logging in tonight, but I won't stress if I can't get in. I am just wanting to witness the craziness.

Thinking human SK or gnome something.

Yeah I dunno how long I"ll play but I definitely want to observe the initial rush if I can

split between rolling darkelf enchanter or hafling druid, probably do both and pop back and forth to see what's going on, witness the daniels going crazy (but also probably just completely swarming misty thicket lmao)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

on as Complete

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Over 2k on. Hearing people are camping individual spawn points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah it sounds like an absolute cluster gently caress. Awesome. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows of some really obscure low level spawns that is raking in the xp