Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Vim Fuego posted:

The writers hosed up by having her go so hard against Data, an established and well liked character. But on rewatching you can see that was only emphasized for like 3 episodes and even that aspect paid off with a nice character growth episode when data assisted her on the planet of lethal rapid aging. She was also a good counterpart to Picard, because she was a woman roughly his age and status.

The plan with Pulaski was, as you said, to put someone on the ship that could tell off Picard. They eventually used Guinan in that role. With Data she was supposed to be McCoy to his Spock and be against his goals. McCoy was against Spock denying his human side and Pulaski was against Data seeking to become human when he was not. She was supposed to see it as a quixotic quest to emulate humanity when he should have been figuring out what it means to be and excel as an Android, not that she saw him as a piece of equipment. It would have made for a nice contrast to the rest of the crew telling him he would one day be a real boy. The writers screwed it up and she came across as an rear end in a top hat at first.

Then you look to the movie Generations when Data got his emotions and became a real boy and you realize Pulaski was right. Data with emotions is an annoying clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also, imo it was kind of weird and very against the spirit of Trek that the way Data gains emotions is by inserting a chip.

No growth as a person, no inner discovery. Found a chip that Soong left behind or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

redgubbinz posted:

I still crack up every time I think of Riker replicating a new trombone every time he plays, then ramming it into the replicator sideways with his foot when he's done with it.

Fanon Riker being the ultimate space bachelor just works too well even though I'm sure it's mostly wish fulfilment.

Xenocides posted:

The plan with Pulaski was, as you said, to put someone on the ship that could tell off Picard. They eventually used Guinan in that role. With Data she was supposed to be McCoy to his Spock and be against his goals. McCoy was against Spock denying his human side and Pulaski was against Data seeking to become human when he was not. She was supposed to see it as a quixotic quest to emulate humanity when he should have been figuring out what it means to be and excel as an Android, not that she saw him as a piece of equipment. It would have made for a nice contrast to the rest of the crew telling him he would one day be a real boy. The writers screwed it up and she came across as an rear end in a top hat at first.

Then you look to the movie Generations when Data got his emotions and became a real boy and you realize Pulaski was right. Data with emotions is an annoying clown.

Weirdly enough it's Bashir's cameo that seems truer to that idea, where Bashir is impressed by how Data's functions as an android double as ways to imitate humanity.

Also funnily enough the original Astro Boy who has a similar arc apparently had something similar; he had his own version of the emotion chip and found fear and pain weren't something he was prepared to deal with, and decided that he'd rather focus on being the best he can be as a robot rather than imitate a human.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm very confused with this "Walk of a striptease queen" thing. Who was that? Diana Muldaur?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MA-Horus posted:

I'm very confused with this "Walk of a striptease queen" thing. Who was that? Diana Muldaur?

I think that was how Roddenberry described Dr. Crusher.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chomp8645 posted:

Also, imo it was kind of weird and very against the spirit of Trek that the way Data gains emotions is by inserting a chip.

No growth as a person, no inner discovery. Found a chip that Soong left behind or whatever.

I always felt like the emotion chip represented a false idea of Humanity, in that really all it did was simulate emotional responses without lived experience and wisdom to temper it. It's almost always presented as a negative thing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Aristide posted:

S6 of TNG starts off strong with a Barclay and O'Brian episode. I know he's suppose to be Geordi BUT WORSE, but ya know what? I'd be leary of transporting too. This isn't even the first time a character has been anxious about it.

Yep. The cameo of McCoy in the first episode was iffy about transporting too.

I went and watched Flowers For Algernon The Nth Degree and it's a very good episode but I feel disappointed that simply increasing his intelligence solved his social anxiety. Like it's an intellectual problem you can magically solve rather than being a set of fears and worries that just don't go away, that you can't stop thinking about.

Although maybe he medicated himself a cure, but if that's the case why the hell doesn't he use that afterwards? Or maybe all it does is cure his social anxiety and he naturally is that intelligent.

The clumsiness that the character has is a nice touch to reinforce the fact that he's living in his own world. I also find it amusing that people find him improving himself concerning. Like the staff's reaction is essentially just "No, stay in your place".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

It's comes from the same thing as Ferengi with amazing penises.

It's Gene. It's always Gene.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Thread posted:

This dum fukken game.

I apologize to everyone for ever bringing it up.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I apologize to everyone for ever bringing it up.

Apologies don't get my daughter her college fund back, rear end in a top hat

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I agree with the clown comment and the Bashir look though if it was shown how Data developed maturity over time when dealing with emotions and not obvious fanwank it might have been okay if done well and with better humor.

Bachelor Riker going into past his time to be a bachelor works better as a clown

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I just rewatched Star Trek Generations and had an epiphany: it's about the meth epidemic. I never picked up on that until now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

alexandriao posted:

Yep. The cameo of McCoy in the first episode was iffy about transporting too.

I went and watched Flowers For Algernon The Nth Degree and it's a very good episode but I feel disappointed that simply increasing his intelligence solved his social anxiety. Like it's an intellectual problem you can magically solve rather than being a set of fears and worries that just don't go away, that you can't stop thinking about.

Although maybe he medicated himself a cure, but if that's the case why the hell doesn't he use that afterwards? Or maybe all it does is cure his social anxiety and he naturally is that intelligent.

The clumsiness that the character has is a nice touch to reinforce the fact that he's living in his own world. I also find it amusing that people find him improving himself concerning. Like the staff's reaction is essentially just "No, stay in your place".

It's confidence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The interrogater was the fifth light because he hid his love for Picard and wanted to see him as a light in his heart

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are 6 lights.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
*touching Picards chest*

The fifth light was inside you all along.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

alexandriao posted:

The interrogater was the fifth light because he hid his love for Picard and wanted to see him as a light in his heart

Irenicus was such a good villain

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dudeness posted:

*touching Picards chest*

The fifth light was inside you all along.

The Inner Light

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

The Inner Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I don't like Pulaski but that's because she didn't get much time to become more than a badly done McCoy imitation. Doing a McCoy type character right takes more effort and elegance than just making her robot-racist and snarky. I would have loved for her to be a stronger character, because TNG always had serious problem with developing most of its cast, especially the female part of it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The big reason that the McCoy-Spock thing worked and not Pulaski-Data was because Spock was a much more aggressive character with a stronger personality than Data. Spock could be arrogant and condescending and tended to be openly contemptuous of emotional displays. And he had a tendency towards sarcasm. Like Sulu said about him in the Corbomite Maneuver, "You try to cross brains with Spock, he'll cut you to pieces every time."

So because of this, when McCoy goes after Spock, Spock can take it, and what's more, Spock can give it right back. McCoy usually comes out the loser in their arguments. (The show makes a joke of this in Journey to Babel. At the end of the episode, a weakened Kirk and Spock are trying to get back to the bridge, and McCoy shouts them down and confines them both to bed in Sickbay. Then, breaking the fourth wall, he turns to the camera, smiles, and says, "Well, what do you know? I finally got the last word!")

Data had a much weaker personality, especially in season 2, where the character hadn't really been developed much, so when Pulaski went after Data, it came across as much nastier and bullying.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it was like bullying a child or making fun of the austic guy for not picking up on a social cue or something. Spock absolutely had emotions and was smug and sarcastic while claiming to be logical and emotionless and McCoy would push back on that and they'd have a good time, it was a back and forth.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
But sometimes McCoy would do it unprompted and seem like a real rear end in a top hat.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Better put than I could have done it, Epicurius.

Meanwhile on Voyager, Janeway takes three struggling crew members who don't feel like they belong onto an away mission and of course stuff goes wrong and of course it's all okay in the end. This could have been a pretty neat character focused episode, a kind of Lower Decks deal - But the entire affair is just another excuse for Janeway to be needlessly applauded. She acts at some super deep, insightful guide to the anxiety-addled crew folks and undeservedly gets all the credit. If Janeway wasn't such an awful mess of a character, so many episodes would at least be decent.

I will forever be salty that the one female captain we've had in all of Star Trek so far is such an awful mix of 90s-style "strong female character" issues, unambitious writing and Voyager's general direction. I'm still pissed that Discovery made it look like it was going to have a female captain, only to pull some kind of bait-and-switch in the promo material. Not saying that's the only one of Discovery's flaws but both shows have real issues with having really bullheaded ideas about what makes Trek good and how writing strong characters works, choosing to play it overly safe and ending up being way more unenjoyable for it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

say what you will about janeway her hair styles were f*cking epic

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Kate Mulgrew a Mullet

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always liked how the state of the ship in a battle ran perpendicular with how disheveled her tea cozy hair looked

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ritznit posted:

Better put than I could have done it, Epicurius.

Meanwhile on Voyager, Janeway takes three struggling crew members who don't feel like they belong onto an away mission and of course stuff goes wrong and of course it's all okay in the end. This could have been a pretty neat character focused episode, a kind of Lower Decks deal - But the entire affair is just another excuse for Janeway to be needlessly applauded. She acts at some super deep, insightful guide to the anxiety-addled crew folks and undeservedly gets all the credit. If Janeway wasn't such an awful mess of a character, so many episodes would at least be decent.

I will forever be salty that the one female captain we've had in all of Star Trek so far is such an awful mix of 90s-style "strong female character" issues, unambitious writing and Voyager's general direction. I'm still pissed that Discovery made it look like it was going to have a female captain, only to pull some kind of bait-and-switch in the promo material. Not saying that's the only one of Discovery's flaws but both shows have real issues with having really bullheaded ideas about what makes Trek good and how writing strong characters works, choosing to play it overly safe and ending up being way more unenjoyable for it.

Little detail to that episode of Voyager; consider what would've happened if they HAD followed Diktator Janeway's original plan. Those escape pods would never have outrun the shockwave while the Delta Flyer clearly would've.

A Good Shepard culls the weak in the flock... :commissar:

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I am working my way through TNG for the first time.. Just saw the episode where Riker falls for the transgender alien who is a really good pilot. Two thoughts: I kind of wish the actor playing the alien had been male, because that REALLY would have pushed the limits during the grand speech where the alien "comes out" as female. Also, Riker is p much the ship's man whore as far as I can tell.

I guess it's a little sad that the plea for LGBT acceptance in this episode still feels pretty current.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the other thing that sucks is that they play it as 'she wants to be a girl!' rather than riker is in forbidden love with an agender alien

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Frakes was down with the alien being played by a male actor but the execs vetoed it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i want to guess berman, was he there at that point?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Berman had the last word at that point so yes it was him

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jonathan Frakes is so loving good

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oyak posted:

I am working my way through TNG for the first time.. Just saw the episode where Riker falls for the transgender alien who is a really good pilot. Two thoughts: I kind of wish the actor playing the alien had been male, because that REALLY would have pushed the limits during the grand speech where the alien "comes out" as female. Also, Riker is p much the ship's man whore as far as I can tell.

I guess it's a little sad that the plea for LGBT acceptance in this episode still feels pretty current.

I literally just watched that episode 10 minutes ago!

My thoughts:

1) seems kind of weird that Worf thinks Women are naturally weaker than Men because Klingon Women are definitely Not

2.1) Riker had an ethical duty to excuse himself from completing the mission with her. Although Starfleet seems to be cool with relationships and just assumes people won't let it violate their judgement or whatever, which is strange given how prone humans are to, not doing that.

2.2) UGH why does Geordi have a beard it's like Maximum Incel

3) Oh so diplomacy went out of the window

4) welp that was a weird and sad ending

As a trans person I want to splice out her speech and save it on YouTube as a random thing. I think maybe it would have worked better if it was a guy playing her, or even a trans woman, but to be quite honest I don't think that they wouldn't have hosed that up.

Also it reminded me of the shots of men in dress uniform in early TNG and I want that back SIGH.

I'm also kind of glad that they didn't make the ?arbiter? be swayed by her speech because, people doing Actual conversion therapy aren't either. Like story-wise it sucks but I would have been more irritated if they had gone "oh that's a good speech and you're right". I still wish that he had petitioned for asylum on her behalf rather than just jump in like that though.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Okay I really liked "Life Line". The episode is nothing but quiet character study and personalities playing off of each other. It works because the two main characters are both played by Robert Picardo, one of the few people on Voyager allowed to act like he gives a poo poo. That really was genuinely nice and touching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot about Worf makes sense given he learned everything about Klingon culture out of books. Also he's Russian.