Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

YggiDee posted:

We've had this thread since 2011, and in honour of the original work it should be as long and incomprehensible as possible. Making a new, clean, fresh, thread is an affront to the eternal cycle of Paradox Space.
Same thread but: make an new OP yet don’t edit the original. Just post in on page 2156.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well. Here we go again.

I'm glad Terezi is on this voyage; Dirk and Rosebot talking to each other is kind of insufferable to read. And I like Rose.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i wish terezi was more brutally owning dirk like the trash moron he is

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I want to get off Andrew hussie’s wild ride.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dirk seems like a bastard man

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I appreciate calling Dirk's meta-narration sections a "prattle", but that doesn't make me appreciate the prattling.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

poo poo, now I need Scrollable Pesterlogs and the update bookmarklet again. Also, I need to remember how I finally handled bookmarking my page, because "Save Page" never worked for me and doesn't seem to be working now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Urgh, gimme five minutes, I haven't had breakfast yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I didn't know that was you!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Sigh

Okay. So. After psyching myself up to read the Epilogues when they came out I never actually did it. Do I actually have to loving read them before I start whatever the poo poo this is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My ending is that the Crucible was a giant fist and Shepard used it to punch the Reaper King. Everyone she helped along the way cheered her on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't know that was you!

It's not, I'm just facing up to the reality of reading Homestuck: Again.

Color Printer posted:

Sigh

Okay. So. After psyching myself up to read the Epilogues when they came out I never actually did it. Do I actually have to loving read them before I start whatever the poo poo this is.

Probably, yeah. It picks up immediately where they left off.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Homestuck 2, who cares.
They removed a ton of albums (almost all of the solo albums plus squiddles) and randomly slapped others together, removing all the track art in the process.
I didn't think they could make me feel anything anymore, but I am unhappy about them messing with the music that way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nope! Hussie has provided a handy cheat sheet. Which I, who read the Epilogues, am finding useful, cause that was a lot of data to synthesize.

e: Wait, they took out the solo albums? But one of those was my favorite!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anyone find an RSS feed for the new website? Surely I'm not the last person in existence that still uses that...?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, locations at the beginning of Homestuck 2, per epilogue recap

On Theseus (way to make classical reference, good job Dirk): Dirk, Rosebot, Kanaya Terezi, meat!John's corpse (in Kanaya's captchalog)

Pursuing from Meat timeline: Kanaya, Roxy, Dave and Karkat
Pursuing from Candy timeline: dead!Calliope possessing Jade, Davebot, Aradia.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 25, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ Terezi, not Kanaya, on the Theseus.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On the album pages it says 'links to retired solo albums are coming soon'

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
furiously mashijg the keyboard when asked for input

ARANEA:

BRING

HER

BACK

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The only thing I'm a little salty about is that the patreon says you'll get exclusive content at the $5/month and $20/month level. Not my favorite web model, but I guess that's 2019 for you!

quote:

- Supporting Homestuck at $5 and above gives you access to BONUS UPDATES from the Homestuck: Beyond Canon team. Bonus updates will show side stories, vignettes, and more details from the world of the main story.

- ($20) In addition to the BONUS UPDATES, you'll receive access to behind the scenes panel sketches and author commentary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, locations at the beginning of Homestuck 2, per epilogue recap

On Theseus (way to make classical reference, good job Dirk): Dirk, Rosebot, Kanaya Terezi, meat!John's corpse (in Kanaya's captchalog)

Pursuing from Meat timeline: Kanaya, Roxy, Dave and Karkat
Pursuing from Candy timeline: dead!Calliope possessing Jade, Davebot, Aradia.

Quick question, what the gently caress is this

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Anyone find an RSS feed for the new website? Surely I'm not the last person in existence that still uses that...?

Coming soon apparently:

https://twitter.com/Kohilaice/status/1187798070915948545

Bobulus posted:

The only thing I'm a little salty about is that the patreon says you'll get exclusive content at the $5/month and $20/month level. Not my favorite web model, but I guess that's 2019 for you!

I imagine people will pretty quickly figure out a way to :filez: that stuff anyway, but personally $5 is more than fine for me if the quality of the story is good. I wanted to throw money at Hussie for years but the only way to do it was merch really (and the kickstarter eventually).

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Saw someone point out that Dirk has a body pillow of himself in his room.

Yeah, that seems about right for the kind of guy he is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He will possess the pillow at some point since his whole schtick is multiple selves. And also being a villain now I guess

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bogart posted:

He will possess the pillow at some point since his whole schtick is multiple selves. And also being a villain now I guess

In a sense he always was, seeing how a splinter of himself became Lord English.

In another sense Lord English was never the villain.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Remember when I foolishly thought Xamag was more or less finished with Homestuck

What a fool I was. What a foolish fool who foolishly believed foolish thoughts borne of a fool.

Also guess I REALLY need to make that meat and candy omelette now huh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bogart posted:

Quick question, what the gently caress is this

Did you read the Homestuck epilogues? If not, that's why it makes no sense.

We have three (at least) realities colliding right now. One reality contains characters from the Meat epilogue. One reality contains characters from the Candy epilogue. One -- I argue, and I think there's proof -- contains the characters in Pesterquest.

See https://mobile.twitter.com/Homestuck_Info/status/1169302136083009536 this flash from Pesterquest.

Yeah, you're defs on the hook, Plom Bar. Even on the jut.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Dang straight :smug:

Edit:

Also, what with all the talk of games, I'm kind of hoping Caliborn is going to pull a lovely twist and show up somehow.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Dang straight :smug:

Edit:

Also, what with all the talk of games, I'm kind of hoping Caliborn is going to pull a lovely twist and show up somehow.

There might be room for him in Pesterquest if they're doubling up on trolls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So what do we think is Dirk's plan here? (assuming, of course, that he's not pulling a narrative fast-one and deliberately showing up the wrong things.)

- Deliberately searched out a planet where a sburb-type session is taking place (and is currently on-going).
- Carefully collected a bunch of entry items and other game objects.
- 'Mind control' terminal.

It all seems to be points towards steering the session in a direction he wants, but I'm kind of stumped at what he actually wants at this point, other than, perhaps, to be stopped.

edit: He also implies that their actions here will be result in continuity being upheld, so it could be as simple as starting the origin of the Game or something.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
WHAT'S BEHIND THE CURTAIN!?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope! Hussie has provided a handy cheat sheet. Which I, who read the Epilogues, am finding useful, cause that was a lot of data to synthesize.

I regret reading that

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Plom Bar posted:

Would candied meat be acceptable? Some nice candied bacon or something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

I regret reading that

This is what I meant by “what the gently caress is this”

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've been waiting for enough time and distance from Homestuck to let me go back to the start and try to re-experience and re-integrate it, and it seems like Hussie was doing the same thing.

Dirk as sort of a manifestation of a post-Homestuck cynical authorial voice from out of Hussie's head is interesting, even if it's rapidly pushing the author-audience relationship up from subtext to just text.

There's a lot of obvious ways in which this seems to be modeled as a throwback to Early Homestuck, like the suggestion boxes and poking around Dirk's room. The biggest way though is that it feels like a return to Hussie engaging with the discourse around Homestuck directly, in the way that the story used to in its heyday of hyperactivity. At some point while the Dark Old Days set in, Hussie seemed to become sort of cagey and detached, and not as an affectation but as an actual stressed creator wrestling with their obligations.

Even if it's so heavy with accumulated canon and story material at this point that it needs a cheat sheet for the epilogue, it's still somehow refreshing to see Homestuck written like this. Hopefully this'll be enough of a clean break creatively that things won't immediately get bogged down in intractable poo poo.

Edit: Oh, there's a patreon. Okay, intractable poo poo ahoy.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 25, 2019

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I still haven't read the Epilogue and the synopsis still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

WHAT'S BEHIND THE CURTAIN!?

The first and most obvious guess would be a 4th wall, but Dirk as a narrator already has no problem breaking that. So the second-most referential thing that could be under the sheet is the portal from Hiveswap.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Having just read the epilogue synopses, I can safely say Jane is the worst, and Candy is horribly depressing, and reading the actual thing sounds very draining.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Clawtopsy posted:

furiously mashijg the keyboard when asked for input

ARANEA:

BRING

HER

BACK
Some moved on to K6BD for their RDA of cerulean raconteurs, but Aranea will always be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Candy was very draining. It helped a bit when the PoV switched to Roxy in order to point out that John's ongoing breakdown had been screwing with his interpretation of events. It was still pretty messed up though.

So, what do you think is The Moment where Homestuck 1.0 lost the plot and that Dirk intends to undo?