Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

f#a# posted:

Nope, once you pass the check it locks you out. Her dialog tree even when I'm up with her is now all exhausted (day 4, still haven't checked church). I think she might only give up her brush if you fail the check but that's gone now.

Well, that sucks, Conceptualization was my signature skill and I wanted to do art :(
All I can say is that I passed the Conceptualization check and got the brush afterwards, but I don't remember the exact sequence of dialogue I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ugh, regarding the endgame softlock, the internet tips don't help. Neither sleeping in the tower first nor save scumming the red check for a critical success work. Still fails at double sixes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

f#a# posted:

Nope, once you pass the check it locks you out. Her dialog tree even when I'm up with her is now all exhausted (day 4, still haven't checked church). I think she might only give up her brush if you fail the check but that's gone now.

Well, that sucks, Conceptualization was my signature skill and I wanted to do art :(

I think Authority suggests you use another tactic instead of "being nice to her". So maybe go through that again but with more Authority? (Assuming it's not a bug).

Randler posted:

Ugh, regarding the endgame softlock, the internet tips don't help. Neither sleeping in the tower first nor save scumming the red check for a critical success work. Still fails at double sixes.

Don't know about the soft lock, but that roll will always fail if you don't have the pheromones on you.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 25, 2019

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Randler posted:

Have you tried dropping the thought that makes you fail all red checks?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kim's superpower is the ability to keep a straight face in any situation.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internalizing this Contact Mike thought is the best thing I've done.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This game may be the goat in general, but it's definitely the goat in terms of out of context screenshots of dialogue

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Kim's superpower is the ability to keep a straight face in any situation.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think Kim is one of, if not my outright favorite 'sidekick' characters of all time. So good. :allears:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Internalizing this Contact Mike thought is the best thing I've done.

I didn't even get that lmfao, can't wait for my 2nd playthrough

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

This game may be the goat in general, but it's definitely the goat in terms of out of context screenshots of dialogue

Ah gently caress it, it's definitely the goat in general

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Having the ability to keep a straight face does not mean Kim will employ that ability. It's like The Eyebrow.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Need a thought on how to weaponize that eyebrow.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

itry posted:

Need a thought on how to weaponize that eyebrow.

This is gonna take at least like 40 hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
over the course of day 1 in my playthrough kim went from "how do i ditch this poindexter" to "i will simultaneously kill and die for you"

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Just starting my 5/1/5/1 run with with John "Randy" Galt the Randian supercop. Obviously, Rhetoric was my special skill.

In the first five minutes I've failed to notice that I smashed my window (low perception I guess), said "want sum fuk" to my key witness, and passed a half-light check I didn't know existed before to find out Garte got the bartendress's phone number by failing at asking her out. I can already tell this is going to be an awesome playthrough.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oxxidation posted:

over the course of day 1 in my playthrough kim went from "how do i ditch this poindexter" to "i will simultaneously kill and die for you"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone remember who tells you the girl in the fishing village knows where the t-500 gloves are?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone remember who tells you the girl in the fishing village knows where the t-500 gloves are?

isn't it call me maņana?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Manana, she's jn her house. Cuno points you to him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I exhausted the dialogue with Manana and didn't get the tip, so I'm not so sure.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Broken Cog posted:

Piss boy and gently caress the world tell you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I chose the Sensitive template for my first playthrough, and at the end they told me I used to be a gym teacher. Kim said it made sense since I ran everywhere, knocked out Measurehead, and was good with Cuno. Has anyone else gotten something different?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 25, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jarvisi posted:

Piss boy and gently caress the world tell you

Cheers! I'll just wait for them to show up then.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Broken Cog posted:

Cheers! I'll just wait for them to show up then.

It's day 3 I think!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

YOU HAVE BEEN POLICED, MARTINIQUE!

This is in my top 5 games of all time, easy. I really hope more people start talking about it outside of this forum. This is one of those games that's just so ahead of the competition its insane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of my favorite little interactions that i haven't seen mentioned yet is when you buy the FALN pants off cuno, paraphrased:

Cuno: Yeah, you're Cuno's bitch now. *takes money, gives you merchandise* Cash-bitch.

RHETORIC: None of that means anything. He's just putting random words together.

or earlier, when cuno sees your mural and you can ask him if he likes art

Cuno: gently caress no, art's poo poo.

You: Mhm, mhm, got it. *opens notebook, writes* Art...is...poo poo.

and he actually likes you better for it!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Playing The Outer Worlds now and if any of you haven't played TOW or DE yet, definitely start with TOW. It's going to be rough the other way around.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So I figured I'd ask: can I get the other armor pieces even though I only initially wanted to find one, or am I locked out of the other pieces?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Megazver posted:

Playing The Outer Worlds now and if any of you haven't played TOW or DE yet, definitely start with TOW. It's going to be rough the other way around.

I can confirm, it's weird dipping back into games with dialogue choices that are entirely poisoned by the both-sides mentality

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

VolticSurge posted:

So I figured I'd ask: can I get the other armor pieces even though I only initially wanted to find one, or am I locked out of the other pieces?

Yes, you can get the rest with good police work though one requires you to do it while Kim is not around. One is just given to you at the end.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, you can get the rest with good police work. One is just given to you at the end.

Oh, thank God. Was worried I was locked out of that.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i love that DE is now the standard of quality for RPGs

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I'm thinking about the ending. We're clearly meant to compare the killer and Harry. The killer refuses to let go long past the point he should. Of course, this is partially his own fault for just staying on the island but it is also the fault of the phasmid which is killing him/driving him nuts (who I guess is meant to be Harry's ex, not able to be seen but is always present). Whats kind of eating at me is the interaction between the phasmid and Harry. I'm assuming that the dialogue is meant to give Harry a kind of closure to his relationship but I'm not really sure that it comes across that way. I've only played through the game once, so maybe I didn't get very good choices or something. I'd like to hear thoughts from people that thought the writing was amazing though.

You're obviously right that there are parallels to be drawn between Dros and Harry, but I think they're a little more specific than just being unable to let go. Dros's issue isn't overcommitment per se: he deserted the communist army during their big climactic battle and then skulked back after their defeat, listening on the radio as the remaining resistance cells were tracked down and snuffed out one by one. It's like he couldn't even follow through on being a deserter. It's true that he could just admit defeat, disappear into the crowd and find something else to do with his life, and refusing to do so is part of his problem, but I think it's important to acknowledge that he's not really holding on to his ideology either. If he wanted to, he could very easily move to the mainland and try to recruit likeminded people or stage protests against the occupation or do something - and he does leave, to steal food and supplies, but always ends up returning to dither uselessly in the ruins. He's reduced himself to a psychotic voyeur, peering at the inhabitants of modernity through a rifle scope and fantasising about pulling the trigger. Harry's got a conceptually similar thing going on where, instead of either sticking to copdom or handing in his badge, he goes around town making petulant and half-hearted threats of suicide for a week before pawning his gun for drug money and driving his cop car into the sea. When he eventually wakes up from his bender, he crawls back to policing because it's the only thing he has left. He and Dros are both stuck halfway between throwing away the thing that defines them and clinging to what they hate the most. They're incapable of either making GBS threads or getting off the pot, and so spend their days inflicting useless hurt on people around them as they slowly tear themselves to pieces.

I didn't understand the phasmid to be a proxy for Harry's ex. It's something inexplicable and beautiful and a little bit scary that briefly intrudes on the ugly mundane world and, interestingly, something Dros can't see. The game gives a prosaic explanation for his incapacity (the phasmid secretes a psychoactive chemical that, after sufficient exposure, makes people unable to perceive it) but I thought the game was saying more broadly that Harry could see it because he retains a capacity for wonder. As pathetic as Harry is, there's still some small spark of humanity left in him and an outside chance he could change himself for the better. Dros, by contrast, can only ever be a murderer. Wonder is foreign to him to the point that coming into contact with it is what finally renders him dead to the world.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do you actually get the boots? I hosed myself out of it because I suspected Kim really wouldn't like me stealing a dead dude's boots, but the other pieces I've found are wonderful and I regret not stealing those boots now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

babypolis posted:

we're all gonna have to learn to settle going forward

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Night10194 posted:

How do you actually get the boots? I hosed myself out of it because I suspected Kim really wouldn't like me stealing a dead dude's boots, but the other pieces I've found are wonderful and I regret not stealing those boots now.

you steal the boots when kim is not there. you can then point out, to kim, the next morning, that you are wearing the boots he told you not to steal. he goes "yes, i can see them. you must have worked very hard to get them off" and the conversation ends there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

babypolis posted:

friendship ended with obsidian, now za/um is new best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I waited 20 years after planescape for this, hell I can wait another 20