Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat orktober off to a slow start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So why would they repackage the hive tyrant and termagaunt boxes?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Both have old box art dating back several editions. Probably going to have an accompanying price increase.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
They also do new instruction books with 8E unit rules on

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Making progress on painting my DG so I figured I should get a list together. Having not played a game in a few editions, how should I change this around (ignore detachment)? It is based on the models I have at hand.

with these units left over (I can get another vehicles/infantry if it will make or break list)
7x Plague Marines
20x Poxwalkers
Death Guard Special HQs

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 25, 2019

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Exactly how hard and fast would I get the hammer brought down on me for using 3rd party head bits in a gw shop? I really would like to do a tallarn army and unless I want to spend a fortune on ebay, it would take outside parts to achieve. I hear some places are more lenient than others but what are the odds. Glasgow if anyone has personal experience.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure head swaps are fine, especially if the rest is a GW model. If they're being anal about that then I'd probably suggest staying away from it in the future and find someplace else to play.
I think the rule of thumb is that 80 to 85% of the model needs to be GW or somesuch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr Teatime posted:

Exactly how hard and fast would I get the hammer brought down on me for using 3rd party head bits in a gw shop? I really would like to do a tallarn army and unless I want to spend a fortune on ebay, it would take outside parts to achieve. I hear some places are more lenient than others but what are the odds. Glasgow if anyone has personal experience.

On the spot execution

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Mr Teatime posted:

It's up to the store manager. Surprisingly, GW doesn't dictate the specifics on this. It generally ranges from "As long as most of the model is GW, you're fine" to "If that trigger finger didn't come with that specific kit, then you are out of regulations, dear sir/madam!"

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

It's a shame, I suppose I'll just have to sound them out next time I'm in. To be honest if I couldn't use them I might be inclined to go fully 3rd party for guardsmen squads rather than adding a few bits to gw kits 🤷‍♀️

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goodness posted:

Death Guard

If you’re looking to hit 2k, my recommendation is a unit of Poxwalkers so you can have a Battalion at 2k having less than 8CP available hurts.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Plastic Zone Mortalis, Sisters, Primaris Mephiston :getin:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Our local GW complained about one of our players using resin bases.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

Anyone going to Japan, or know anyone going to Japan, who can snag me the Space Marine Heroes Series 3 paint set? Failing that, the set of 6 marines? I'm trying to avoid paying $70+ on Ebay if possible.

Embrace the FOMO, brother. Join me in outrageous spending. (it's not that bad, actually. only $20 than a squad of them).

Mr Teatime posted:

A friend of mine was asked to not bring his models into the store because his carrying case wasn't a GW one. (Manhattan Beach, CA)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Lol, just lol at the base and carrying case complaints.

That’s next-level petty.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Lol, just lol at the base and carrying case complaints.

That’s next-level petty.

Must protect the GW Brand! :downs:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So essentially I should probably do cadians if I want to play guard at gw and then bankrupt myself collecting beautiful 3rd party shelf queens to stare wistfully at.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mr Teatime posted:

So essentially I should probably do cadians if I want to play guard at gw and then bankrupt myself collecting beautiful 3rd party shelf queens to stare wistfully at.

No you should ask the GW store employee what their policy is and if you don't like it go somewhere else with your cool dudes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My local GW (Tucson, AZ) is fairly reasonable so long as the basic chassis of the model is GW. Like, there are definitely horror stories, but again, this is at the store's discretion, so there's no point in getting your hair up until you've asked them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr Teatime posted:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Zuul the Cat posted:

A friend of mine was asked to not bring his models into the store because his carrying case wasn't a GW one. (Manhattan Beach, CA)

That's something that I would complain to GW corporate about. In a heartbeat.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I know my local GW is even more forgiving and actually stated 51%+ GW is the threshold. That said I have separate issues with that store like barring terrain from being moved between tables. Better hope you enjoy playing with zero LoS blockers.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be honest its not a big deal, I have a couple of other factions on the go. The concept of the guard appeals to me, it's just the cadian kit is definitely showing its age. I suppose I'd be happier building the guys I want to build rather than worrying about whether I can bring them into a shop, 3rd party sculpters are putting out some really nice stuff.
I do wonder what the guard get in psychic awakening though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

That's something that I would complain to GW corporate about. In a heartbeat.

He just stopped going there.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
As I languish in the time between codexes forgeworld just pushes the dagger deeper.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/change-your-angel-of-attack/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

He just stopped going there.

That's why you call GW Corporate. "I was told not to bring your miniatures to your store because I don't have a GW miniature case. I will never return to that store, and will tell everyone why."

That fixes poo poo quick.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Primephiston

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If the Emperor had no issue using his sons like chess pieces and knew Horus was beyond all saving with all four Chaos gods pumping into him why didn't he just kill the guy outright the moment they met on the ship

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

If the Emperor had no issue using his sons like chess pieces and knew Horus was beyond all saving with all four Chaos gods pumping into him why didn't he just kill the guy outright the moment they met on the ship

Commonly asked question and the answer for right now is we don't know. Up until recently in the grand scheme of things we didn't know much about the emperor or the primarchs on a personal level. The story of the Horus Heresy was always told in really broad strokes, detached from any personal connection to the characters.

The idea of him seeing his sons as tools is mostly the work of Master of Mankind and how they intend to compromise this with him hesitating to kill Horus is to be seen as the Horus Heresy novels are wrapping up with the Siege of Terra very soon.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

goose willis posted:

because black library are staffed with hacks

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

quote:

Uzgrak Deffcalla is the weirdboy the other weirdboyz consider a bit off. It's not his obsession with skulls or bones. That's just good Deathskullz superstition. It's not his tendency to dance and scream in the middle of battle. That's normal weirdboy enthusiasm. And it's not the way he pulls the souls of orks from the hands of Gork and Mork and sets them on his enemies... No, wait. Wait. That last one. That's the squig right there. That's not normal, even among weirdboyz.

He was a weirdboy under Waaaagh Gragnutz during the assault on Scythia. During the assault on the tombworld, he witnessed necron warriors pulling themselves back together after they'd been blown apart by a squad of boyz. He was of two minds about this. On the one hand, that meant they'd get to krump the metal heads again. On the other hand, he was running out of boyz.

Frustrated, he screamed at the scattered ork bodies on the battlefield to get back to fightin'. Maybe Gork and Mork heard him, and they liked gettin' orks back into the fight. Maybe it was just the sheer power of Uzgrak's waaagh energy. Or maybe the lads just fancied getting into the fight that much faster. Whatever the cause, the effects were devastating as fallen orks rose to krump again. The battle was handily won, and the tombworld was looted and burned by the Waaagh.

Uzgrak vanished from Gragnatz's forces shortly after, but he's been spotted again and again across the galaxy, calling deff and waaagh down on his enemies wherever he goes.

Uzgrak Deffcalla
4 Power
80 Points
M: 5", WS: 3+, BS: 5+, S: 5, T: 4, W: 5, A: 3, Ld: 6, Sv: 6+
Uzgrak is a single model armed with a Weirdboy Staff

Weapon
Weirdboy Staff

Abilities
'Ere We Go, Mob Rule, Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!, Waaagh! Energy

One Foot in da Grave an' Kickin'

When Uzgrak Deffcalla takes wounds from Perils of the Warp, roll a D6. On a 5+ that wound is not lost. You cannot make a Dok's Tools roll for this model if you do so.

Psyker

This model can manifest one psychic power in each friendly Psychic phase, and attempt to defy one psychic power in each enemy Psychic phase. It knows the Smite and Rise, Ya Gitz Powers.

Faction Keywords: Ork, Deathskulls

Keywords: Character, Infantry, Psyker, Weirdboy, Uzgrak Deffcalla

Rise, Ya Gitz
Green Waaagh! energy rises from the ground and covers the bodies of fallen orks. It covers over the wounds, filling in the gaps where bullets ripped and chainswords tore. The faces of the corpses writhed and twisted into hideous grins as they rose to fight again.

Rise, Ya Gitz has a warp charge value of 8. If manifested, choose a Troops or Elites unit that was destroyed within 18" of Uzgrak Deffcalla in the previous turn. Up to 10 models from that unit are restored to full wounds and placed where it was removed from the board. Any previous modifiers to the unit's statline are removed. It can immediately move as though it were in the Movement phase. If the unit is still alive at the end of this turn, it is immediately slain again.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 26, 2019

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Spooky Weirdboy is best Weirdboy

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Codex Supplement: Salamanders – The Goonhammer Review

With the sallys done, our Space Marine review extravaganza finally draws to a close. 

Crafting for the Future – Psychic Awakening: Phoenix Rising Review Part 4 – Asuryani

As does our 1st PA series.

Start Competing: Blood Angels Tactics

It's all about Blood Angels this week on the goonhammer dot com. Booley and friends tears apart their codex and dishes up some of the more choice options.

How to Paint Everything: Blood Angels

learn how to paint the prettiest of marines.

Army Showcase: Son of Carnelian’s Blood Angels

Have a ganda at Carnelian's very nice red lads.

Hammer of Math: Pointy-Eared Exarch Extravaganza

Beer takes a look at the math behind Exarchs.

The Narrative Forge: Building a Display Board

The Goonhammer crew are talking about building a display board for your army that matches their character and makes the ideal stand for submission to Armies on Parade.

Vanguard Marines Sneak Into Kill Team

Novembermike looks at the new pho lads in KT. 

Warlord Wednesdays: Adeptus Titanicus Legion Focus: Traitors

Condit continues his safari though the various Titan legions. 

Necromunday: Campaign Progression, Part 2 – The Trading Post

Merton demystifies the trading post in Necromunda.

Book Review: Eisenhorn – Xenos

JB review the old fan fave Xenos. A timely thing given that it's been turned into a live action TV series. 

Bright-eyed and Bushy-tailed: A Newcomer’s GT Perspective

Charlie attends his 1st GT!

A Trip Report: Naramyth Forsakes the Bacon!

Naramyth decides that Iron Hands are totally his thing and takes them out for a run...

Tournament Report – Glasshammer Open 2019

Wings attends the Glasshammer Open and dissects it's missions and games. Good reading.

Content We Liked, 10/20/2019

Finally Rob talks about the stuff we liked on the interwebs this week.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Stephenls posted:

Primephiston

I am both upset and intrigued.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If all four Chaos gods were powering Horus and it was an even match does that mean the Emperor is as powerful as all of the gods combined

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TKIY posted:

Our local GW complained about one of our players using resin bases.

I moved from Northern Virginia, where I was spoiled by the incredibly chill Springfield GW store, to the NC Triangle. My first time in the Raleigh store here convinced me never to return. Manager there basically said he doesn't want Forge World in his store because he can't sell them there.

Most of my army is Forge World, with what's left being kitbashes and conversions (also using Forge World as well as OOP bits).

Good thing I'm slowly building a gaming space in my house.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

I moved from Northern Virginia, where I was spoiled by the incredibly chill Springfield GW store, to the NC Triangle. My first time in the Raleigh store here convinced me never to return. Manager there basically said he doesn't want Forge World in his store because he can't sell them there.

Most of my army is Forge World, with what's left being kitbashes and conversions (also using Forge World as well as OOP bits).

That loving sucks. Holy poo poo how do these stores stay open?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
GW store managers have been petty tyrants for decades, they just seem to have more corporate support now.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Two Beans posted:

Was this the Pinecrest Point store? That’s nuts. In the area I would recommend Event Horizons in Garner, they have a 40k night on Tuesdays, I think that crowd is more competitive ITC focused; and Gamers Armory in Cary which is a bit chiller, they do game days on most Saturdays.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DotyManX posted:

Was this the Pinecrest Point store? That’s nuts. In the area I would recommend Event Horizons in Garner, they have a 40k night on Tuesdays, I think that crowd is more competitive ITC focused; and Gamers Armory in Cary which is a bit chiller, they do game days on most Saturdays.

It was. Dude also asked if I used non-Citadel paints, and if I did to just keep it quiet.

Store is incredibly tiny too, and I didn't see much terrain being used. As I said before, I was spoiled by GW Springfield where they'd let me pile 3 grand worth of house terrain on a table.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

It was. Dude also asked if I used non-Citadel paints, and if I did to just keep it quiet.

Store is incredibly tiny too, and I didn't see much terrain being used. As I said before, I was spoiled by GW Springfield where they'd let me pile 3 grand worth of house terrain on a table.

That game was loving amazing.