Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
YA
WAH
HOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
it's like opening an aged jar of farts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's like opening an aged jar of farts.

i really like the implication that his girlfriend would let him shower with her, but he BETTER not look at her tits while they're in there.

We came in here to get clean, buddy.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Very pleased that I was able to see Joker today having avoided all spoilers. Great film.

Please feel free to repost all the Joker related stuff from the past few weeks that I will have missed. Thank you very much, friends.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

i really like the implication that his girlfriend would let him shower with her, but he BETTER not look at her tits while they're in there.

We came in here to get clean, buddy.

You can tell he's never had a girlfriend because he thinks that once you hit the point of showering together you somehow need permission to stare at her body.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I keep thinking these are the stairs from The Exorcist before I remember the Joker thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1186072841525088271

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1187819445827330048

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oh you want some AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

I got your AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA right here bud

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

You can tell he's never had a girlfriend because he thinks that once you hit the point of showering together you somehow need permission to stare at her body.

Technically you always need permission for everything. And I want to dig up some facebook grampa level memes now for some reason.

Chances are if you have a healthy relationship she’ll appreciate the male gaze.

Cue John Mayer

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
here have some more revenants

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BIG BOUNCERS BLASTOFF 3 posted:

Very pleased that I was able to see Joker today having avoided all spoilers. Great film.

Please feel free to repost all the Joker related stuff from the past few weeks that I will have missed. Thank you very much, friends.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny that after all the freaking out about JOker incel shooters, all that happened was some memes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

P good marketing tho

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Forever a-bone! RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE...me gusta

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hellblazer187 posted:

What's the point of following religious custom if you're just going to ruleslawyer it into meaninglessness. Why not just... recognize you don't actually believe that premarital sex is sinful and just bone down because that's what you want to do?

It depends. In the case of Islam there are often actual laws that forbid having extra-marital sex so you have to find ways around them. I think some really theocratic countries have severe punishments for loving outside of marriage but they also allow men to be married to multiple women with easy divorce. So you basically just have an imam marry the people who want to gently caress then divorce them not long after. Since they were married at the time there's no punishment, no sin, and nobody really cares because well hey they were married, weren't they?

In the case of Judaism rules lawyering your way around things is actually a time-honored tradition that has actual passages dedicated to it. I forget the exact passages but there are times when Jews found some way to work around a law and Yahweh was like "lol wow I loving love you guys, have at it." Since He made people clever enough to find ways around that sort of thing obviously He meant for us to do it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It depends. In the case of Islam there are often actual laws that forbid having extra-marital sex so you have to find ways around them. I think some really theocratic countries have severe punishments for loving outside of marriage but they also allow men to be married to multiple women with easy divorce. So you basically just have an imam marry the people who want to gently caress then divorce them not long after. Since they were married at the time there's no punishment, no sin, and nobody really cares because well hey they were married, weren't they?

In the case of Judaism rules lawyering your way around things is actually a time-honored tradition that has actual passages dedicated to it. I forget the exact passages but there are times when Jews found some way to work around a law and Yahweh was like "lol wow I loving love you guys, have at it." Since He made people clever enough to find ways around that sort of thing obviously He meant for us to do it.

Goddamn, religion is a waste of energy. Just gently caress and move on with your life.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

Goddamn, religion is a waste of energy. Just gently caress and move on with your life.

Buddhism is nice.

edit: Some of the rules actually make sense in the end it was just a time when you had to say "do it because God said so." We know now why it's important to rest but 3,000 years ago nobody did. People did notice that not resting fucks you up but how do you convince people? Well, you declare "God said no work on Saturdays." Then you lay out a ton of things that count as work and exceptions like "yes if somebody is bleeding to death the physician can deal with it and you can put out a burning building but I loving mean it guys, LIFE OR DEATH ONLY." They weren't obviously thinking about ovens and refrigerator lights so now traditional communities that keep the same beliefs have to wrestle with that. Some go "that's actually stupid, I don't think Yahweh will get annoyed if the refrigerator light turns on because you got hungry." Others go "gently caress it, put Sabbath mode on the thing."

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Oct 25, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

P good marketing tho

The funny part is it was deadpan serious liberal scolds, not cringe-inducing self-made "viral" marketing like the producers of Terminator Dork Fart pretending people are mad at the movie because it's the first sci-fi film with a female lead.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LifeSunDeath posted:

Sort of. But they’re ancient traditions passed down through families. We don’t have a lot of time here and the thing that is actually shortening it is not people’s beliefs.

I got no dog in this fight though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Buddhism is nice.

Oh, buddy, you have no idea what you're talking about

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sort of. But they’re ancient traditions passed down through families. We don’t have a lot of time here and the thing that is actually shortening it is not people’s beliefs.

I got no dog in this fight though.

"because it's traditional" has never been a valid reason to do anything

"but we've always done it this way" yeah, debra, and people had always poo poo through holes in boards until indoor plumbing came along

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

Oh, buddy, you have no idea what you're talking about

I'm a Buddhist. Yes I do. Yeah, we have our shitheads but what religion doesn't?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The funny part is it was deadpan serious liberal scolds, not cringe-inducing self-made "viral" marketing like the producers of Terminator Dork Fart pretending people are mad at the movie because it's the first sci-fi film with a female lead.

Yeah I wasn't being sarcastic. Genuine outrage is the best any media project can hope for.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This sounds...tedious.

~as an American ~ im also unable to ignore that our government is rapidly turning into a hard theocracy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol ät summoning a Finnish perkelesaatana just hyllymbvyör ryys ylin häyhä

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

razorrozar posted:

"because it's traditional" has never been a valid reason to do anything

"but we've always done it this way" yeah, debra, and people had always poo poo through holes in boards until indoor plumbing came along

Hi, I am not religious but I live around people who are. You’re on the same page I was but you never got to second one where it doesn’t solve anything.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Potato Salad posted:

This sounds...tedious.

~as an American ~ im also unable to ignore that our government is rapidly turning into a hard theocracy

If Trump is a theocrat he’s fighting hard to worm himself into the better parts of hell.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Maybe before atheists lecture other groups they should clean up their own poo poo and do something about all the misogynists, TERFs, and islamophobes that have grown out of their own community in the past few years.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hi, I am not religious but I live around people who are. You’re on the same page I was but you never got to second one where it doesn’t solve anything.

im not anti-religion. im an atheist but i think everyone should always have the right to decide for themselves.

my problem is with people who have not decided for themselves but simply continue to blindly do what they were told all their lives, and that goes for everyone in every category, not just religious people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Were I a dog would i be Ugly Boy :mmmhmm:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

razorrozar posted:

im not anti-religion. im an atheist but i think everyone should always have the right to decide for themselves.

my problem is with people who have not decided for themselves but simply continue to blindly do what they were told all their lives, and that goes for everyone in every category, not just religious people.

I think we have a similar problem but watching your parents and grandparents age into religion you want them to be happy but also not so angry. V conflicting

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

razorrozar posted:

I think you're confused on the definition of the word 'decide'. If they continue to do something, clearly, it's their decision, and you just disagree with their reasoning. Unless, like, you believe in full determinism, in which case you never decided anything for yourself either.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

I think you're confused on the definition of the word 'decide'. If they continue to do something, clearly, it's their decision, and you just disagree with their reasoning. Unless, like, you believe in full determinism, in which case you never decided anything for yourself either.

i feel like we're getting into semantics here, but in my opinion, if your only reason you're doing something is because you've always done it, that's not a decision. that's inertia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

razorrozar posted:

i feel like we're getting into semantics here, but in my opinion, if your only reason you're doing something is because you've always done it, that's not a decision. that's inertia.

And yet you continue to post on something awful. How interesting...

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

razorrozar posted:

Yeah that’s also not incorrect.

Somehow Bill Waterston took himself out the game and his end point was consideration of philosophy and not religion.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/12-times-calvin-and-hobbes-taught-us-about-philosophy-religion

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

And yet you continue to post on something awful. How interesting...

i was gone from here for four years and just came back last week :confused: