Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

My issue is that if a block got knocked off my ship in combat I'd have no idea what and how to put back, so I'd have to keep rippping my ship to bits and use the blueprint to reconstruct it. Does the repair bay replace lost blocks, or only repair damaged ones?

The latest version allows you to save a blueprint of any ships you have. The repair station will automatically craft and replace lost blocks.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

When we played Empyrium online id just eyeball repair battle damage then paint it pink, after sustaining major battle damage like 20 times eventually it looked like a horrible tumorous chaos ship, which it basically was. RIP the Guy Fieri, a real one

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer is pretty great. Certain minerals and gasses you need for crafting are only found on certain planets, so you need to fly around a lot. It's cute and good.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone played Fishing: Barents Sea? it's currently on sale on steam

Can you walk around on your ship? Do you have to process every fish yourself in that minigame, or are there upgrades that make that automated?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone played Fishing: Barents Sea? it's currently on sale on steam

Can you walk around on your ship? Do you have to process every fish yourself in that minigame, or are there upgrades that make that automated?

Is that a survival game? I thought it was just a commercial fishing simulator

VVV all good, I was hoping that it was a survival game because a fishing-focused one would be kind of cool

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 26, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm an idiot and thought I posted in the steam thread

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is that a survival game? I thought it was just a commercial fishing simulator

VVV all good, I was hoping that it was a survival game because a fishing-focused one would be kind of cool

drat now I want to play a survival simulator where you have to live a broken down crab boat for a month on the open ocean until someone finds you

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I normally keep to the Steam thread but I've been playing a little indie survival sim called Seeds of Resilience, and I don't think it's been brought up here (at least recently). I do reviews and got this straight from the publisher, which is why this is going to sound extra effort-posty.

The greatest danger to any survival game is falling into a rut of tedium, because the actual process of feeding and sheltering yourself isn’t really all that fun. Subnautica has led the pack for years because it heavily prioritized exploration and construction over menial tasks. Seeds of Resilience brings a novel approach to the survival table, one based more on turns and time management than hoovering up resources. It’s an interesting take, one that takes the emphasis off action and puts it on careful planning and foresight. That won’t be everyone’s cup of wilderness tea, but folks looking for a more methodical simulation might find it a welcome change.

You’ve got your choice of twelve missions to attempt or a wide-open sandbox mode to enjoy, but either way you’ll be picking three castaways to strand on an island. Your job is to shepherd them into finding sustenance, establishing shelter, and expanding their capabilities until you can achieve your goals. Generally that’s going to be building a specific kind of shelter, stockpiling a silly amount of some resource, or just building a boat off the island. Every day you’ll pick tasks for your survivors to complete based on their skills and their energy, and over time you’ll start to learn how the resource flows work and what you’ll need to focus on to keep your people going.

What’s unique about this setup is that it’s entirely turn-based. You’re not pointing and clicking your people around the island, or running around yourself to punch trees. You’re presented with an isometric, 2D look at the island (or islands), and menus to order your survivors around with. All of their actions are menu-based, and all take some amount of time from their energy bar. Providing sufficient food, shelter, and comfort will give them more energy to work with each day, so improving their lot on the island will have a snowball effect on their productivity.

The thing to remember here is that this isn’t an active game at all, despite the rather crisp graphics. All the visual of the island does for you is give you resources like trees and rocks and seeds to click on, which is how you order your people to do something with them. If anything the visual aspect of the game is more akin to a hidden object game than a simulation, challenging you to find that last bamboo shoot or clam hiding just out of reach. The layout of the island is almost entirely irrelevant to the gameplay, and you’ll never see your survivors tooling around and doing things on it. Ultimately it’s just another menu to harvest sticks and build shacks from.

Once you’ve adjusted to the look and feel of the game, you can get into the nitty-gritty of survival. Early days will be spent gathering food and basic materials for tools and the barest of roofs to huddle under. It won’t be long before your resources begin to dwindle, though, so you’ll need to get familiar with the agriculture system to keep your stocks of reeds and fibers going. Once that’s settled, out side of scenario time limits and the occasional disasters, you should be on easy street to whatever your goal is. This isn’t a game with a lot of variety after you master its systems, so expect the learning curve to be the real meat here.

I’ll credit Seeds of Resilience with being a different sort of take on survival simulations, but one that may see limited appeal. Abstracting everything into turn-based tasks driven from menus makes it more of a subdued planning exercise. Even then, the challenge is limited to learning the balance of renewable resources and keeping disasters and seasons from leaving you bereft. And as nice as the game looks, the graphics are really just there to break up the menus with something more tangible to click. I don’t know how often you or anyone else are going to be in the mood for something like this, but when you are, you’ll have plenty of tree-felling and shelter-raising to keep you busy.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The Long Dark episode 3 is out. I never got around to replaying the first 2 when they remastered them, so I guess its time

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There's currently a bug where many Win7 users get a black screen soft-lock on trying to launch any of the story episodes, which sucks cause I was super stoked for it today.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Episode 3 is pretty cool so far, much better than the first two eps imo (although I haven't tried the remastered versions). It introduces timber wolves who attack in packs and come with a new kind of mechanic where you have to reduce their overall morale to make them run off. Spices things up a bit. I also like that they've gotten rid of the whole charcoal mapmaking thing, at least for this episode. Never really cared for that.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 24, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rutibex posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/
It is my unpopular video game opinion that everyone should play Empyrion Galactic Survival. They released a bunch of new patches recently that have added a lot of cool content and sucked me back in. Empyrion is a survival game in the far future. You are the survivor of a crash landing on a alien planet. All you have is your escape pod and your emergency replicator. You have to gather resources (like minecraft) and build larger replicators until you can build bases and a space ship to escape the planet. But once you escape the planet that's just the beginning! there are other planets, and hostile aliens, and friendly trade hubs, and its just awesome! The best part is the building system. You build all of the vehicles out of part blocks, with different thrusters/shields/armor blocks all making a difference in how your ship is protected and handles. There is of course a huge variety of weapons as well.

I built my base into the side of a mountain as a bunker, this protects my from Zyrax attacks:

I recently got a nice new capital vessel so i buried my old vehicles in a mountain hole and covered it with rubble so the Zyrax cant get to them. I wanted to hold onto them in case of emergency and for nostalgia. They have served me well. The shuttle barge has a small warp drive that i used to explore the immediate solar system. The "Baby Chimp" is a ground vehicle I used to harvest trees:

But those ship are old news this is my brand new Capital Vessel! It has 10x the cargo of my shuttle barge and a full sized warp drive. It also has 2 advanced constructors and full medical bays. There is a space in the back for a small attack fighter, as this capital vessel is otherwise unarmed. The fighter has 5 mini-guns and is more than enough firepower to deal with any Zyrax drones attacks!

With this new ship I should be able to explore the rest of the solar system and get the rarest ores and technologies :haw:

Am I crazy or is this just Space Engineers with some mods?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Last time I tried it (about 3-4 years ago), it was way, way jankier than SE (bearing in mind that SE itself was pretty janky back then too). The whole thing just felt kind of cheap and amateurish and half-assed, and I remember returning it pretty quickly. I'd be up for giving it another try, though, if people think it's progressed a lot since then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Am I crazy or is this just Space Engineers with some mods?

Isn't Space Engineers a game 100% about gathering resources? Mining is only a part of Empyrion, there is also a lot of combat to do against NPCs. The game has come a long way in the last few years. It is defiantly worth checking out.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rutibex posted:

Isn't Space Engineers a game 100% about gathering resources? Mining is only a part of Empyrion, there is also a lot of combat to do against NPCs. The game has come a long way in the last few years. It is defiantly worth checking out.

Not any more, no. As of the last few updates there's npc factions to fight, some serious graphical upgrades and most importantly better mod support. With mods (like I wrote) it's also got exploration mods, NPC faction mods, tons of graphical and other stuff and you can really craft your own space survival game with just a few basic mod selections and game options. I've tried working on getting as much realism as possible out of it to make my own kind of "AI rebellion everyone's dead try to stay alive using sci fi means" experience, adding realistic thrusters, air friction, more realistic physics, basic food/water needs in addition to oxygen and power and such but I'm not very good with computers and I get bored doing all that poo poo alone.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can't be bothered to download shitton of mods just to get to a playable state anymore, I prefer the devs give me a finished game I can play (think Subnautica). I hope either Space Engineers or Empyrion will be that kind of game in the end.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The main building difference between Empyrion and Space Engineers is: in Empyrion, you have to construct blocks using constructors and then minecraft build your ship together. In Space Engineers, you build components using constructors, wireframe a ship together with 1 component per block, and then tediously weld the rest of the components into the blocks.

Also, Space Engineers lets you cut your ships apart, expand the insides and then merge the bigger thing back together, or just merge random stuff to your main ship. Empyrion doesn't have that feature.. one ship is one ship, no creating a frankenstein monstrosity. I think you can still create ships that have floating components.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer is pretty good right now. It was already considered feature-complete at launch and since then they've added QOL like jump thrusters and, as of yesterday, paving tools for your rovers so you can roll around evening out the ground.

Space Engineers I've been curious about.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drunk in Space posted:

Episode 3 is pretty cool so far, much better than the first two eps imo (although I haven't tried the remastered versions). It introduces timber wolves who attack in packs and come with a new kind of mechanic where you have to reduce their overall morale to make them run off. Spices things up a bit. I also like that they've gotten rid of the whole charcoal mapmaking thing, at least for this episode. Never really cared for that.

It's a nice idea but climbing the watchtower in Mystery Lake and making a map there should give me a pretty rough map of most of the area, and not just like 20 feet around in the immediate area of the tower.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So has anybody checked out Green Hell? Its on sale on steam and I'm curious if its worth jumping on especially compared to The Forest.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 26, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

So has anybody checked out Green Hell? Its on sale on steam and I'm curious if its worth jumping on especially compared to The Forest.

It's a lot more complicated, interface-wise and design-wise. You have like three separate nutrition meters on top of hydration to keep track of. You have to manually twist your arms and legs around to check for wounds. The backpack interface is not quite as smooth either I think. So I checked it out for about a couple of hours...it felt a lot harder a learning curve than The Forest. But it *was* pretty, I'll give it that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hub Cat posted:

I enjoyed it a lot, and way more than the Forest. The Forest, which I followed from the start, never really felt complete. The way health and hunger were tied together, how easy it was to survive, how most of the game was based on combat and knowing certain areas, how you can get the best tool in the game like 3 minutes in. It just had a sort of flimsy, unfinished, unbalanced feeling I never really got over.

Green Hell is much more survival focused, you can get various illnesses or conditions, from food poisoning and rashes to insomnia and parasites. A lot of the game is based more around scrounging to survive, making shelter, filtering water, that sort of thing. The interface can be a little difficult to figure out at first but honestly it made more sense to me than the Forest's, because it was all physically represented with your backpack, you play RE4 style inventory tetris to store things, and everything's got a context menu on right-click. The macroelements mean managing four intake categories: fats (mostly nuts and fatty meat), proteins (fish, meat), carbs (veggies and fruits), and water. But even if you neglect one category, you don't die. No water will kill you but having, say, full carbs and no fats just means your max health will be lower and you'll fatigue slightly faster. Overall I feel the game gets made more complicated than it needs to be by some players but the tutorial does a pretty good job of prepping you. To be fair it leaves out a few things, like using coconut shells to gather rainwater as a major source of hydration, or being able to make stews by putting ingredients into water containers sitting at a fireside.

So basically, more complex survival, less focus on combat. I strongly recommend it if you liked the Forest because to me it was everything I wanted from it but better. Not everyone wants the same thing out of it, but me personally, I went right into endless mode right after I beat the story, and I'm about 60 days of survival in at this point.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Thanks, sounds like its worth checking out to me. The survival aspect of the Forest was always a bit too easy for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh, and one feature I really appreciated was how customizable the difficulty was. You could turn almost any difficulty feature on or off separately, and the nutrient requirements have high and low settings to control how often you need to eat. I initially left it at medium but after getting my bearings in endless mode I restarted on high nutrient consumption, just to get a better focus on building shelter, infrastructure, and providing food. It leaves less time overall for other activities because so much of your work will just be on seeing the next day and keeping yourself healthy, but it feels more rewarding when you finally get stable long enough for a serious outing.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I find the forest fun (need to go back to it someday) and having multiplayer can be a blast, but the thing I always found weird about the forest was the lack of settings related to combat difficulty. If you know what you're doing (like how all experienced players just beeline for the right caves for certain items) it helps a lot, but the combat in it can be pretty brutal (armor gets knocked off super easily) and so it felt like if your base was in a bad place you'd just end up in a crazy death spiral.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The Forest is designed really to have multiple way stations rather than one big base. The enemies stop bothering you as intensely if you leave an area, so if you put up small installations that have the bare basics - a small cabin, a fire pit, some drying racks, and maybe a bench, a deadfall trap or two, and a water collector - you can get loaded up but if you come under attack you don’t feel the need to defend your poo poo too vigorously.

The best “permanent” base in that it’s the one that has stockpiles of rarer reagents like bones is the house boat because it loving moves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I had a lot of fun with the Forest when I played it blind, co-op and with permadeath enabled. Somehow neither of us died so it was awesome as hell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We made a zipline down to an island and then made a bridge. Entirely safe place to store all the rare regents and there's something satisfying about chopping down a tree and sending it down on a zipline as you create a mega base

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

We made a zipline down to an island and then made a bridge. Entirely safe place to store all the rare regents and there's something satisfying about chopping down a tree and sending it down on a zipline as you create a mega base

It's especially good if the zipline is long enough that the log isn't drawn so when you chop down like 20 trees and then go down the zipline to put stuff together, you see like 80 logs explode from the log singularity you have created

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
The forest has lots of neat stuff definitely. I just thought it was surprising it didn't have a difficulty slider there to tune things as needed (short of peaceful mode).

That said, most of my play was before a few of the QoL improvements (like ziplines).

Speaking of which: 7D2D: STILL NO ZIPLINES.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I really like The Forest even if it is a bit janky. I usually just build my house in that pond with the large rock in the middle. Nothing can reach me. I haven't played since they introduced the worm though so maybe that changes things.

The Long Dark has completely taken over as my favorite survival game by far though. I regret not picking it up sooner. The only problem is I feel like I'm cheating when it comes to wolves. I noticed that if I just keep walking the wolf will never attack. I just stay out of charge range and eventually kite him near a deer or some rabbits and hey presto problem solved. I don't even bother with flares or torches anymore. Is that normal? I'm on Stalker difficulty by the way.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Travic posted:

The Long Dark has completely taken over as my favorite survival game by far though. I regret not picking it up sooner. The only problem is I feel like I'm cheating when it comes to wolves. I noticed that if I just keep walking the wolf will never attack. I just stay out of charge range and eventually kite him near a deer or some rabbits and hey presto problem solved. I don't even bother with flares or torches anymore. Is that normal? I'm on Stalker difficulty by the way.

While it's technically using the known behavior patterns of the wolf AI to avoid confrontation, that isn't necessarily cheating, that's simply knowing what not to do around a wolf. In Stalker in particular, you still have the limitation of not loading up with too many smelly items, like raw meat, as it is one thing to avoid 1 wolf, but another to dodge 3 coming from different directions. You also have the risk of just stumbling into a wolf and getting the occasional charge. As for flares and torches, I've only ever had them work once, so to me they're only good for illumination. The only questionable tactic in my mind is luring a wolf to a deer, then attempting to light a fire to scare them off, but then cancel it once the wolf runs. Having a lit campfire as a defensive tool to scare a wolf is fine, but using a campfire offensively doesn't seem kosher to me (especially if you never finish it). I think the new update expected in December will also shift things around, as Timberwolves will allegedly hunt in packs and be harder to evade.

I've found that The Long Dark is most enjoyable when I pick out in my mind what actions are allowable and what are not that appeals to my sense of immersion. Everyone has their own taste on what is allowable in survival games, but I like the idea of restricting myself to try and mimic real conditions (based off what I've seen in shows like Alone, not that I've been in the wilds myself). I try to always maintain the well-fed buff to avoid the hibernation tactic, or drink rose-hip tea for the vitamin C content rather than the pain relief. Maintaining that kind of voluntary rule system shifts how I have to play the game and makes it a little tougher and more enjoyable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I could really go for Oxygen Not Included but on a planet with some kind of apocalypse on the surface that limits how long you can be exposed to the outside world.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Travic posted:

I really like The Forest even if it is a bit janky. I usually just build my house in that pond with the large rock in the middle. Nothing can reach me. I haven't played since they introduced the worm though so maybe that changes things.
it does, the worm can kill you if you are gliding 200 feet in the air at the time.

the worm only shows up in the post-game though so in general it doesn't matter.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Griffen posted:

While it's technically using the known behavior patterns of the wolf AI to avoid confrontation, that isn't necessarily cheating, that's simply knowing what not to do around a wolf. In Stalker in particular, you still have the limitation of not loading up with too many smelly items, like raw meat, as it is one thing to avoid 1 wolf, but another to dodge 3 coming from different directions. You also have the risk of just stumbling into a wolf and getting the occasional charge. As for flares and torches, I've only ever had them work once, so to me they're only good for illumination. The only questionable tactic in my mind is luring a wolf to a deer, then attempting to light a fire to scare them off, but then cancel it once the wolf runs. Having a lit campfire as a defensive tool to scare a wolf is fine, but using a campfire offensively doesn't seem kosher to me (especially if you never finish it). I think the new update expected in December will also shift things around, as Timberwolves will allegedly hunt in packs and be harder to evade.

I've found that The Long Dark is most enjoyable when I pick out in my mind what actions are allowable and what are not that appeals to my sense of immersion. Everyone has their own taste on what is allowable in survival games, but I like the idea of restricting myself to try and mimic real conditions (based off what I've seen in shows like Alone, not that I've been in the wilds myself). I try to always maintain the well-fed buff to avoid the hibernation tactic, or drink rose-hip tea for the vitamin C content rather than the pain relief. Maintaining that kind of voluntary rule system shifts how I have to play the game and makes it a little tougher and more enjoyable.

Oh no I don't do anything that cheesy. I just lure wolves to easier prey then when the wolf takes off after them I skedaddle to safety.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
To survive on the higher difficulties in TLD you have to know and abuse the mechanics pretty fiercely. There are janky things you can do with hot liquids and stuff (drinking a tiny amount gives you the +10c buff, drinking a tiny amount of coffee and having the buff last just long enough to sprint your stamina empty) and yeah wolves are basically death unless you know exactly how to handle them (and ignorable when you do). For example you can always just keep walking away and they won't attack for a long time as long as they're moving.

TLD episode 3 revamped the wolf mechanics for the campaign mode and made it feel really artificial but I don't know if those changes made it into the sandbox mode.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked TLD enough as a survive the nature simulator but the wolves were extremely boring element of danger and it kind of turned me off from playing the game more. I wish there was something like it with more focus on surviving in the wild with no enemies, making your own stuff rather than being a scavenger.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I liked TLD enough as a survive the nature simulator but the wolves were extremely boring element of danger and it kind of turned me off from playing the game more. I wish there was something like it with more focus on surviving in the wild with no enemies, making your own stuff rather than being a scavenger.

You can do exactly this with TLD sandbox mode (there is an option to turn off wolves completely, IIRC) or adjust them to your liking.

I still haven't finished chapter 3 due to other games taking up my free time (mainly Blasphemous and Outer worlds), but I can tell you I'm already drat annoyed by Astrid's "Thanks for saving my life but I won't still tell you anything about where I'm going or what's in the briefcase" shtick which has basically been going on the whole storymode. It better have a good payoff (but I'm guessing it won't)

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I still haven't finished chapter 3 due to other games taking up my free time (mainly Blasphemous and Outer worlds), but I can tell you I'm already drat annoyed by Astrid's "Thanks for saving my life but I won't still tell you anything about where I'm going or what's in the briefcase" shtick which has basically been going on the whole storymode. It better have a good payoff (but I'm guessing it won't)

The briefcase is just the McGuffin and will be a letdown if they reveal anything about it, and really irritating if they don't.

That having been said, doesn't McKenzie have the briefcase still in story mode? Its been literal ages since I played story mode but fairly sure you find it while trying to get out of the canyon of plane wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tar_Squid posted:

The briefcase is just the McGuffin and will be a letdown if they reveal anything about it, and really irritating if they don't.

That having been said, doesn't McKenzie have the briefcase still in story mode? Its been literal ages since I played story mode but fairly sure you find it while trying to get out of the canyon of plane wreckage.

Yeah, it lands by the wreckage and he picks it up.

I know this because last week I decided to come back to TLD after hearing that 3 was out. I had apparently lost my save from forever ago so I started over. I got to right after you stun and kill a rabbit, was going forward and realized I could see the abandoned town. I climbed down the cliffside and spoke to the old woman without it crashing, but I’m pretty sure you get some stuff from the church (and bridge?) that I would need so I just quit out. I’ll come back to it soon, just thought that was funny and now I’m thinking of TLD speedruns, which I’m sure exist.