Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Are there any good go-to apps or phone-usable websites for planning a road trip these days? Something I can plan a trip on in stages on my PC, then port it over to my (android) phone to reference on the trip, possibly in conjunction with the usual google maps for GPS planning. This is going to be a trip from MI to FL and I'm trying to figure out what I can do along the way and plan reasonable distances between stops, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

credburn posted:

Here's a random question that is probably more of a subjective thing, but I'm curious, either way.

People are using "they" as a pronoun. I know that this broken rear end word has been used to kind of impersonally refer to someone of indeterminate gender since I don't know, Shakespeare I guess. But now it can refer to someone specific and not necessarily of indeterminate gender, although one might label "non-binary" as a kind of gender in itself. Anyway, it frustrates me because I have autism and it's hard to unlearn and relearn things that adhere to a suddenly rapidly evolving language. It's much easier for me as I just think of "they" as a homonym, and "they" is just a new word meaning non-binary. Alright, so my question is really simple: since "they" in this case is a singular person, would you say, "They were going to the store..." or "They was going to the store..." Since the person is singular, the latter would be grammatically correct, but it sounds like a country bumpkin is talking.

Anyway, I gather that people probably would default to the former because it sounds better and I guess language has been loosening its roots in grammar in a way that used to take generations but now happens almost weekly.

Singular they has been in regular use for decades on end bro. This poo poo ain't actually rapidly changing.

What "rapidly" changed was whether certain stuffy formal writing scenarios would allow it to be used and even that's been like a last 15-20 years thing.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Here are some simplified diagrams to illustrate the syntax behind Rabbit Hill's question earlier today. The sentence on the left (You or someone else has purchased this) uses the "or" to join the subjects of the sentence. The sentence on the right (You have or someone else has purchased this) combines two sentences and drops the verb and object from the first half of the sentence, because you repeat it. Both are grammatical, they just have a slightly different underlying structure to them.

As for singular "they", it's also worth noting that the rules that said "they" shouldn't be used as a singular pronoun are much, much younger than the rules that say it's alright. Those younger rules are also completely artificial, and iirc were initially started by dumb late-19th/early-20th century people who wanted English to sound more like Latin, and the only way to do that is to twist the natural rules of English into unnaturally emulating some superficial pattern of a dead language. The natural singular gender-neutral "they" was replaced by the default masculine "he", and once people realized that actively ignoring more than half of the human population was a lovely thing to do, we are transitioning back to the norm. We just have a new use case for that word now.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Singular they has been in regular use for decades on end bro. This poo poo ain't actually rapidly changing.

What "rapidly" changed was whether certain stuffy formal writing scenarios would allow it to be used and even that's been like a last 15-20 years thing.

Wikipedia posted:

The singular they emerged by the 14th century, about a century after plural they.

it's been around for literally 800 years and people are still bitching about it

then again the same is true of many things so

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Tenik posted:

Here are some simplified diagrams to illustrate the syntax behind Rabbit Hill's question earlier today. The sentence on the left (You or someone else has purchased this) uses the "or" to join the subjects of the sentence. The sentence on the right (You have or someone else has purchased this) combines two sentences and drops the verb and object from the first half of the sentence, because you repeat it. Both are grammatical, they just have a slightly different underlying structure to them.

This is awesome, thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

fishmech posted:

I didn't mean this specifically; language in general is changing rapidly compared to before social media, the Internet, etc. They as a singular has been in regular use, but it's much less impersonal now. People use it as an identity, and maybe that's been a thing, too, but certainly it's much more part of modern culture than before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is the name for this type of diagram and does anyone know of a website that explains how they work?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

credburn posted:

I didn't mean this specifically; language in general is changing rapidly compared to before social media, the Internet, etc.

I would like to see studies that prove this, because to me that just sounds like a "well it has to be so?" observation that falls apart at a closer look

Tiggum posted:

What is the name for this type of diagram and does anyone know of a website that explains how they work?

It's a parse tree / syntactic tree

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ras Het posted:

I would like to see studies that prove this, because to me that just sounds like a "well it has to be so?" observation that falls apart at a closer look

it seems obvious that this would be the case simply because it's so much easier to communicate than ever before so slang trends spread very quickly through the population. but often things that seem obvious really aren't, so agreed, some documentation would be appreciated

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

My gmail signature is simply

------------
(555) 555-5555

When I look at my sent email, it usually shows this:

BODY OF THE EMAIL

Best,

WerthersWay

(...)

And when I click the ellipses, it shows my signature. Great!. But if I end my email simply with my name and no "best" or "sincerely", like:

WerthersWay

I then have to click the ellipses to show my name. Any gmail experts know why this is? Not a big deal, but annoying in an OCD way.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Are there any good guides to making money via monetizing social media accounts? A lot of results I found seem to be basic marketing bullshit--not like teaching you but trying to sell a product or service. Of course this is to be expected since it's marketing people but I'm hoping some goons can point me in the right direction. My goal is primarily on insta right now.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Sean posted:

Are there any good guides to making money via monetizing social media accounts? A lot of results I found seem to be basic marketing bullshit--not like teaching you but trying to sell a product or service. Of course this is to be expected since it's marketing people but I'm hoping some goons can point me in the right direction. My goal is primarily on insta right now.

How big are your tits?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

How big are your tits?

:eyepop:

(but also truth)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
1: Do you have a conventionally attractive body form and are your tits sizeable?
-1.a: Are you fine with taking pictures of them for strangers on the internet?
-1.b: Do you accept someone finding out who you are and spreading those pictures amongst your friends, family, coworkers and teachers?
-1.c Do you accept weirdos getting clingy and trying to form a relationship where they think posting comments and giving you money owes them privileges?

If yes then be a thot. If not...

2: Are you already rich and own a bunch of stuff that shows how wealthy you are (expensive cars, a high powered gaming PC, useless kickstarter appliances that are made for 1 thing that you can easily do by hand)?

If yes then brag about how wealthy you are and get people to want to vicariously live through you cause they'll never be able to afford such things. If not...

3: Are you cool with preaching the virtues of adolf hitler and how cool and good white supremacy is and have the mental creativity to claim everything in existence is the fault of minorities and everything is an attack on the white race?

If yes then be a political person.

Once the viewers go up send an email to dollar shave club and every future post should dedicate 25% of it to your new sponsor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Shut up Meg posted:

How big are your tits?

Classic Meg.

Leal posted:

1: Do you have a conventionally attractive body form and are your tits sizeable?
-1.a: Are you fine with taking pictures of them for strangers on the internet?
-1.b: Do you accept someone finding out who you are and spreading those pictures amongst your friends, family, coworkers and teachers?
-1.c Do you accept weirdos getting clingy and trying to form a relationship where they think posting comments and giving you money owes them privileges?

If yes then be a thot. If not...

2: Are you already rich and own a bunch of stuff that shows how wealthy you are (expensive cars, a high powered gaming PC, useless kickstarter appliances that are made for 1 thing that you can easily do by hand)?

If yes then brag about how wealthy you are and get people to want to vicariously live through you cause they'll never be able to afford such things. If not...

3: Are you cool with preaching the virtues of adolf hitler and how cool and good white supremacy is and have the mental creativity to claim everything in existence is the fault of minorities and everything is an attack on the white race?

If yes then be a political person.

Once the viewers go up send an email to dollar shave club and every future post should dedicate 25% of it to your new sponsor.

I understand the responses but I meant more from a practice angle. Dos and donts. Income models. Etc. For #1 basically yes, but not the focus. #2 not really rich but this would be lifestyle-related. #3 I'm not an rear end in a top hat (well, not that kind of an rear end in a top hat).

I'm just looking for some semi-passive income documenting a hobby/lifestyle that I do anyways. I know someone who knows someone in my place of work that runs a similar thing that would be competing so I don't want to ask her due to that and not knowing her. But I know that person gets press and VIP access at events due to their content and that alone would be great. This person isn't even really hitting any #1-3 above.

Maybe just the wrong place to ask. Thanks anyways, goons.

Speaking of, wasn't Pioneer Woman a goon? I don't know if I'm misremembering.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Sean posted:

I'm just looking for some semi-passive income documenting a hobby/lifestyle that I do anyways. I know someone who knows someone in my place of work that runs a similar thing that would be competing so I don't want to ask her due to that and not knowing her. But I know that person gets press and VIP access at events due to their content and that alone would be great.

So you're looking for income or D-list fame? Because those are two different things, that could potentially be put together but don't necessarily go together.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Motronic posted:

So you're looking for income or D-list fame? Because those are two different things, that could potentially be put together but don't necessarily go together.

Just income. gently caress fame.

edit: oh, I'm not talking VIP like "backstage at the Kendrick Lamar" concert-level but like local city-event level with some free poo poo.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 25, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So it then comes down to the type of content you could produce that would be interesting to exactly which audience.

There are audiences that are very receptive to patreon, others that are happy to buy merch, others that are good for monetizing videos and basically getting paid with youtube ad rev, audiences where pimping products works so you get paid by the manufacturers.........

Your question is so general as to be unanswerable.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Motronic posted:

So it then comes down to the type of content you could produce that would be interesting to exactly which audience.

There are audiences that are very receptive to patreon, others that are happy to buy merch, others that are good for monetizing videos and basically getting paid with youtube ad rev, audiences where pimping products works so you get paid by the manufacturers.........

Your question is so general as to be unanswerable.

Yeah, that makes sense. I kind of hosed it up by not wanting to say exactly what it is. It's not some poo poo that is genius and I'm afraid of someone stealing but I just don't want to connect it to my SA account. As for product placement etc I'm totally open to that. I just wasn't sure, for instance, if it's normal to be seeking sponsors out or if I just wait to be approached if I hit some level of content interaction. I'm sure if I had a million followers I'd be the prettiest girl at the dance but until then not sure how much I need to actively seek out sponsors.

Anyways, I'm gonna back out of seeking advice here. I'll keep sifting through garbage internet. My default is to use the goon-filter on the internet so I wasn't sure if someone would have some links/specific advice handy.

Sincere thanks, thread.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 26, 2019

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think social media income is anything but passive. Not that I've done it personally, but if your income comes from sponsors, you'll need to have a freakin huge amount of followers (like 500k) and if your income comes from patreon, you're gonna need to deliver content regularly and engage with people who are supporting you. In both cases you're going to have to know your audience, anticipate or react quickly to changing trends and always. be. producing. content.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Sean posted:

If all you're worried about is making money learn a trade. Relatively few people make money off of the internet in the way you're thinking. The hours can be bug gently caress insane and there's such a massive amount of constant pressure to keep content going that a pretty significant chunk of people have mental breakdowns over it. It can take quite a while for any entertainer or content creator to get any kind of real following on any kind of platform let alone social media. A bunch of them started it as a hobby and just kind of stumbled into internet fame. No matter what however the competition is brutal.

Look at how many people are on instagram. Look at how many people make their living on instagram. There's nothing wrong with using instagram or trying to turn it into a living but put simply the odds are against you. You end up in competition with every single other person trying to make a living there.

That being said the best way to make any kind of money on this sort of thing is to find some kind of niche. In entertainment the core rule to making a living is "give the people what they want." Can you find a niche that isn't being served? You can target that. The "how big are your tits?" question was asked because, well, tits always sell. People like tits. Fact of life. However, you can't make money without a certain level of fame in this kind of thing. If you're making money you're getting attention. Fame sucks. If your only goal is "make money" go become a plumber or something. There are a ton of trades that are utterly starved for people right now.

If it's just social media accounts in general it used to be the best way to make money off of a social media account was to sell it. People would create a fan page for something popular, get it a bunch of subs, and then sell it to somebody else. That happened on Facebook a lot. Not sure about now or Instagram. Even so the competition to make a living on Instagram is pretty fierce and even people who do make a living there find that it's fickle as hell. Fame is extremely fleeting. The ability to fix things for money never goes away.

If you're a hot woman yeah that can get you a ton of attention and probably make you money but beauty fades. Your skill with a wrench doesn't.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 26, 2019

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There are basically three ways to make money on Instagram.

- Gain a large following and sell product placement on your account. We're talking hundreds of thousands if not millions of followers before you're making anything significant, but you can try to sell space on small accounts through a marketplace like shoutcart

- Gain a moderate, engaged following and sell products. Some products can be sold directly through Instagram, but you need a website with a catalog set up and it all linked to Facebook to get the features. This, of course, also requires you to manage a store.

- Gain a moderate following and run affiliate advertising. This can be tricky on Instagram because of how individual posts aren't able to include links (unless you're paying for ads) but there are tricks to work around that. This does mean you need to find affiliate products in your niche (Amazon being the easiest way to do it) and that you need to build and grow an audience of people interested enough to buy whatever it is you're promoting.

All forms of monetizing Instagram are going to involve, as people above have said, producing a ton of content. Seriously, you want to be posting 1-3 times a day, every day, non-stop. It also won't have much in the way of returns for quite a while, because of how many people are trying to do exactly all of this. You also need to get used to how Instagram marketing works, how to properly use hashtags, and all the rest of that bullshit.

The days of throwing up a social profile and being able to make $100 a month or something without any effort are gone by now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Last post I'll probably make. I was done but this was a lot of thought and effort so I wanted to return the attention. I have a masters and a professional career. My career affords me a lot of free time during the work day (like the whole day sometimes) but I have to be at a physical office; on top of that I'd basically be documenting what I do anyways and then filling my free time with converting it to content. Your advice is completely on-point, though. I once met someone who was dropping out of college in senior year to be a twitch streamer and I tried explaining basically what you said. (In reality they were probably failing out and made up an excuse.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Sean posted:

but I have to be at a physical office; on top of that I'd basically be documenting what I do anyways and then filling my free time with converting it to content.

That sounds like a great way to blow up your day job.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Sean posted:

Last post I'll probably make. I was done but this was a lot of thought and effort so I wanted to return the attention. I have a masters and a professional career. My career affords me a lot of free time during the work day (like the whole day sometimes) but I have to be at a physical office; on top of that I'd basically be documenting what I do anyways and then filling my free time with converting it to content. Your advice is completely on-point, though. I once met someone who was dropping out of college in senior year to be a twitch streamer and I tried explaining basically what you said. (In reality they were probably failing out and made up an excuse.)

Well gently caress, if you're already financially set for the time being and have a ton of free time there's nothing to lose. Go for it.

Usually when somebody is asking this sort of thing it's somebody with pretty much nothing else going on thinking "how do I get paid to play video games or take pictures of my dinner instead of doing actual work?" A real problem comes around when you have millions of people thinking the same thing. It's one of the flaws of social media; nobody is saying it's impossible because it's a thing that exists but the flip side of it is that the chances are bad enough that you shouldn't bet the farm on it. There's nothing wrong with taking the shot but way too many people are like "I'M GOING TO BE A SOCIAL MEDIA STAR!!!!" while failing to realize how unlikely it is and how much work it takes if you manage to pull it off.

Meanwhile we're telling people that going to a trade is stupid and low class (it is neither) so you shouldn't do it. Apparently we no longer need plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and bricklayers or something.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 26, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There's a light fixture in my new place that uses incandescent globe bulbs. Two of them are out and now I realize that I haven't replaced a bulb in like 10 years because everything else I have is CFL. How can I make sure I get the right replacement bulb to match the ones that haven't burned out?

Having measured them I'm pretty sure the size is G25 but I'm not sure what the color temperature etc is.

The only info on the bulbs is printed on the base:
CANADA CSA 1708
3*25W 120V

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm changing apartments and the one i'm moving into has one of the smaller 20" gas range ovens. is it normal for some of these ovens to always be "on?" there's slight but noticeable heat coming from the burners and within the oven itself and a couple of small pilot lights burning under the range, even when the oven dial is set to Off

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i'm changing apartments and the one i'm moving into has one of the smaller 20" gas range ovens. is it normal for some of these ovens to always be "on?" there's slight but noticeable heat coming from the burners and within the oven itself and a couple of small pilot lights burning under the range, even when the oven dial is set to Off

Older ranges/gas ovens have standing pilot lights. So yes.

That thing must be quite old.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Older ranges/gas ovens have standing pilot lights. So yes.

That thing must be quite old.

looks like it's one of these, so maybe it's just a newer model with an antiquated design

does a standing pilot light have a noticeable effect on the gas bill, do you think?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

looks like it's one of these, so maybe it's just a newer model with an antiquated design

does a standing pilot light have a noticeable effect on the gas bill, do you think?

That stove does not have standing pilot lights.

When you turn the knob there is a "lite" setting where you'll hear it click. Those are the igniters.

Are you sure that's the same range that's in the apartment?

And no, standing pilot lights don't really have any meaningful impact on your gas bill.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

That stove does not have standing pilot lights.

When you turn the knob there is a "lite" setting where you'll hear it click. Those are the igniters.

Are you sure that's the same range that's in the apartment?

guess not, i didn't match the model numbers. the reviews say that it has electric ignition too, so it's probably an updated model of the one i'm dealing with

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why are preferred pronouns always given with at least subject and object (e.g. she/her)? Are there cases where someone uses the subject pronoun from one gender/category but the object pronoun from another?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why do most voice chat things just fail when two people talk at the same time?

This doesn’t happen on xbox live voice chat, or like VOIP clients, but Skype, Hangouts, FB calls, FaceTime and Zoom all choke and just don’t transmit anything most of the time both people talk at once. Even when you turn the video off and it’s just voice. What gives?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hooah posted:

Why are preferred pronouns always given with at least subject and object (e.g. she/her)? Are there cases where someone uses the subject pronoun from one gender/category but the object pronoun from another?

I think it's more than when you are not using a preexisting set of English pronouns (he/him/his, she/her/hers, it/it/its, they/them/their), that you need to explain all three possibilities as they are not obvious (ze/zir/zirs, xe/xem/xyr).

EDIT: my wife says "yeah, I see "she/they/theirs" a fair amount.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 27, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ulmont posted:

I think it's more than when you are not using a preexisting set of English pronouns (he/him/his, she/her/hers, it/it/its, they/them/their), that you need to explain all three possibilities as they are not obvious (ze/zir/zirs, xe/xem/xyr).

EDIT: my wife says "yeah, I see "she/they/theirs" a fair amount.

I would interpret she/they/theirs as either pronoun set is fine, not that one should specifically always use their rather than her. I think I've only ever actually seen "she/they" though, not "she/they/theirs".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

Why do most voice chat things just fail when two people talk at the same time?

This doesn’t happen on xbox live voice chat, or like VOIP clients, but Skype, Hangouts, FB calls, FaceTime and Zoom all choke and just don’t transmit anything most of the time both people talk at once. Even when you turn the video off and it’s just voice. What gives?

It's probably an aggressive anti-feedback mechanism kicking in. If both parties are on speakerphone, and they talk at the same time, you'll get a nasty feedback loop if both sides' mics pick up the sound from their speakers. Since these apps have no way of knowing who's on speakerphone, it's safer to just cut transmission as soon as you detect signal coming from the other side.

I would assume Xbox voice chat doesn't display this effect because most people use headsets and therefore they don't have to be as aggressive about avoiding feedback loops. And Skype, Hangouts, FaceTime, etc. are all VOIP clients so I'm not sure how you're drawing your category lines there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

It's probably an aggressive anti-feedback mechanism kicking in. If both parties are on speakerphone, and they talk at the same time, you'll get a nasty feedback loop if both sides' mics pick up the sound from their speakers. Since these apps have no way of knowing who's on speakerphone, it's safer to just cut transmission as soon as you detect signal coming from the other side.

I would assume Xbox voice chat doesn't display this effect because most people use headsets and therefore they don't have to be as aggressive about avoiding feedback loops. And Skype, Hangouts, FaceTime, etc. are all VOIP clients so I'm not sure how you're drawing your category lines there.

Oh that’s interesting. I was using VOIP to mean the “soft phones” that a lot of my jobs have used. You use an app to call landlines and other users of the app. Sounds just like a landline but uses data instead of going over cellular. I think the last one was called Mobius.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I've heard the british commons speaker pronounce 'negotiate' with an s, is this common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Shy posted:

I've heard the british commons speaker pronounce 'negotiate' with an s, is this common?

It's an accepted pronunciation yes, maybe even preferred in Received Pronunciation