Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't really think the Assassin's Creed games are much like Skyrim, at least not in the way people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Subnautica is worth finishing. Dark Souls games are worth finishing, though I never finished Sekiro. Okami, Abzu, Journey, Portal, basically any game with a good, complete story is probably going to be worth finishing. Even Mass Effect, which could have had a better ending, but it is still something that should be finished.

It is an interesting comparison to something like Skyrim, which has a complete story you can play through, but it's optional and not really the main draw. My first playthrough of Skyrim basically ended when I finished all 4 main guilds and a ton of side quests; I barely even touched the main story. Same with Oblivion.

And there's games that don't end, because they're still being written like MMOs, or just don't have story, like any multiplayer pvp game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

i've beaten 134 games this year

Big deal. I just beat my 135th

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The thing that appeals to me about Bethesda games that most other open world games I've played tend to miss is the sort of theme park design. They don't really herd you along from level-gated area to level-gated area, the story isn't marching you along either. It just dumps you at the front gate of Disneyland and says "have fun, there's stuff you can do in every direction". I suspect the rear end creeds and witchers of the world don't follow that very closely but I haven't played them so I'm not 100% sure.

New Vegas was actually kind of weird in this respect because there's a bunch of natural obstacles and tough enemies strongly encouraging you to follow Benny's trail on a loop around the Mojave desert but once you catch up with him in Vegas the doors are thrown wide open and the game has the theme park design I was referring to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You ever play Breath of the Wild

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

a mobile game only counts as 0.1 game, please update your calculations

dreamcast games are worth double points

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

You ever play Breath of the Wild

yeah it ruled

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Regarding what someone else said about not playing for the ending, I agree. I mean look at all the NES/SNES games. Nearly all their endings kinda sucked. But the gameplay was decent or really good (generalization of course I know there are SNES games that had good endings so this isn't a hot takes CT or MMX sucks type thing) I tend to play games just for the journey and not neccesarily the conclusion.

Like I enjoyed my times on Oblivion/Skyrim but the story/ending? I barely remember them. except Oblvion cuz it had Patrick Stewart and then he's murked like super early. :v:

I have lost count how many games I have beaten, there are too many to list cuz it starts all the way since PSX days.

Asscreed and them don't really have the fun park type thing cuz unless you like to collect trinkets, it ain't that great. But I do love climbing everything I see and then fall off cuz the game decides nah not climable. Die.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 26, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is only one good open world game and that is steam bot chronicles

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i've never played it but more like steam butt chronicles

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The 7th Guest posted:

i've eaten 134 hams this year

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Relax Or DIE posted:

i've never played it but more like steam butt chronicles

steambot chronicles is the only good open world game because you can find a random house where a nun is raising three kids and then convince her that you own the place by lying and force her to pay you rent. then you can go to the college in the big city and there is an impossible math problem and you can go back to the house and the kid can solve it and instead of sending him to college you can take all the credit fu fu fu

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

only 9 more games to go before the end of the year, good luck gamer

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
NES games were too hard for child me so repeatedly playing the beginning of games without finishing is how I learned to play video games

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Me, age 8, seeing that the character from Lufia II is named Maxim: “Ah yes, like the tomato.”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am one quest away from starting Shadowbringers and god help me, if five years ago you told me that I would be more interested in continuing the story of an MMORPG instead of an Obsidian game I would have laughed in your face

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am one quest away from starting Shadowbringers and god help me, if five years ago you told me that I would be more interested in continuing the story of an MMORPG instead of an Obsidian game I would have laughed in your face
throw wide the gates

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

a mobile game only counts as 0.1 game, please update your calculations
hey now only a few of the mobile games i beat on phone were mobile only

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

I think nearly every thread I'm reading right now has people showing up to disingenuously compare DE to stuff. Just kicking down the door to the thread like 'actually DE has far more humorous writing than Monster Hunter World : Iceborne', 'DE has much better character development than the blue L from Tetris 99". It is very weird.

Its that good that it makes other games seem bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

make sure you wear your best outfit for the beginning of shadowbringers, you want to look good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

make sure you wear your best outfit for the beginning of shadowbringers, you want to look good

and also for the end of shadowbringers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shadowbringers loving owns.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

5.1 is gonna be sweet but them not taking Amaurot out of EXDR is a real drag.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I only finish good games and Half-Life: Blue Shift

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

5.1 is gonna be sweet but them not taking Amaurot out of EXDR is a real drag.

I'm glad I'm all done with tomestones until 5.2. Gonna run the new dungeon and raid once, do Hades with my static, do the story, and unsub until 5.2. Beast tribes and custom deliveries can wait until I can do the 5.2 ones in parallel

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/TheMasterBucks/status/1187436445796929536?s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe everyone brought shadows, the potluck is ruined

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad I'm all done with tomestones until 5.2. Gonna run the new dungeon and raid once, do Hades with my static, do the story, and unsub until 5.2. Beast tribes and custom deliveries can wait until I can do the 5.2 ones in parallel

Me and the Squad saved up to buy a house so I'm going to be spending a lot of time leveling crafters and doing interior decorating

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I love starting games but I'm terrible at finishing them. It's not that they are typically unfun, it's just I'll randomly see a thread or whatever about another game and then suddenly I'll really want to switch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm usually pretty good about finishing games I start if I'm enjoying them. Games I don't finish I don't feel bad about not finishing. Like Haunting Grounds. The mood was neat enough but every time an enemy appeared again I really disliked the game and it wasn't worth dealing with those swings so I just stopped.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I usually dont get past 4-5 hours in a game if its not one im going to finish.
For instance, recently i just got loving bored of the combat in indivisible and noped out of it.

Every so often i get almost all of the way through a game and stop but its because something better comes out and i dont actually care about it anymore. Maybe happens once or twice a year, usually with giant rpgs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've only played about the first 30 minutes but so far the outer worlds feels like a first person fallout rpg dunked in a big bucket of melted futurama, in a good way. my brainworms of skillpoint paralysis are back in a major way though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it seems like a system where its really easy to make a character that is broadly good at lots of things, since you can't even put points directly in skills until you get up to 50. that + companion bonuses + armor skill mods, and I'm already up to like 70 hacking just out of the first area. its a fairly generous skill system

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I max out my talky skill in all these kinds of games

I hate being locked out of dialogue choices

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i never like to use companions in these things, too many times where sulik emptied a submachinegun into my back

and from seeing the introductory scene where you can convince the couple of guards to attack the marauders outside the ship, and the guard you talk to emptying her pistol into her buddy's back until he crumpled dead on the ground, i'll be sticking with that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Companions have pretty powerful special abilities and they also boost your stats passively when in party

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

good for them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the companion AI kinda sucks, I'm only playing on normal and they end up dead a lot

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love starting and restarting video games and burning out after playing through the first three hours twenty times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I love starting games but I'm terrible at finishing them. It's not that they are typically unfun, it's just I'll randomly see a thread or whatever about another game and then suddenly I'll really want to switch.

:same:

Occasional games will completely grab me, like the souls series, and I've beaten every souls game multiple times. But most games I feel like I've had enough of the gameplay before I've gotten to the complete end of content, and something else grabs my free time.