Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Last food complaint: you people in the UK and E.U. are so lucky you guys get black currant flavored stuff. It is my absolute favorite flavor and it just doesn’t exist in the US outside of some candy at World Market.

There is this delicious Dutch black currant hot toddy drink that I seriously considered importing at $45 for 10 tiny packs of drink mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The US juice brand Knudsen makes black currant juice. I’ve seen it at Whole Foods and Sprouts, or I suppose you could order it in bulk from Amazon.

There’s also a regional Northeast brand called Currant Affair.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Last food complaint: you people in the UK and E.U. are so lucky you guys get black currant flavored stuff. It is my absolute favorite flavor and it just doesn’t exist in the US outside of some candy at World Market.

There is this delicious Dutch black currant hot toddy drink that I seriously considered importing at $45 for 10 tiny packs of drink mix.

Extremely same, blackcurrant is so good. I love a snakebite and black or some blackcurrant winegums.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

I can find Ribena in the ethnic aisle at Meijer, or similar stuff in Eastern European places.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I’m just not a fan of floral flavors, really. Like honey to me a just disgusting. The initial taste is fine, but then it just tastes like flowers. Guess I’ll stick with the weaker stuff.

I’ve never had anything violet flavored, but does it indeed taste like soap like that one British candy says?

Thrills gum is technically rosewater flavored

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Check a halal grocer for Vimto, it’s black currant soda and I always clean my local guy out when he has it. The real King of Pop!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Black currant loving owns in everything it is in. Anyone remember Calistoga sparkling water?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't post feet loaf

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Bloop posted:

don't post feet loaf

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

don't post feet loaf

No loaf rules.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

don't post feet loaf

But it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaRFPmblrHo
swedish commerical for canned blood pudding, canned liver beef and canned isterband. Moneyshot at 2min07sec.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm loving the portion measure in equally large print as the contents. Wish that were common.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sex Hobbit posted:

Check a halal grocer for Vimto, it’s black currant soda and I always clean my local guy out when he has it. The real King of Pop!

I grew up drinking Vimto, it's fantastic as a hot drink too.
I was about to tell you it's not a soda and then googled and found out that they made a Vimto soda! I only ever had the squash version as a kid, cold in summer, hot in winter.
I need to find some Vimto squash now.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pookah posted:

Parma violets? like Facebook Aunt says, they don't taste like soap, they taste like an old-fashioned fancy soap smells - extremely floral and perfumey. I think they are rank, other people adore them.

We grabbed a few big bags of trick or treat sweets to hand out to kids next week and there were a bunch of Parma Violets in there. They don't taste anywhere near as bad as I remember from my childhood.

But we still picked them out and I gave them to a cow-orker who actually likes them. They don't taste as much of old-lady perfume as they used to, but they're still a gross candy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BMX Ninja posted:

We grabbed a few big bags of trick or treat sweets to hand out to kids next week and there were a bunch of Parma Violets in there. They don't taste anywhere near as bad as I remember from my childhood.

But we still picked them out and I gave them to a cow-orker who actually likes them. They don't taste as much of old-lady perfume as they used to, but they're still a gross candy.

I bet they do. It's just as you age "old lady perfume" becomes a less objectionable scent. Eventually you'll find bottles of the stuff around your house with no memory of how they got there.

:spooky:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, not sure which thread is best for this content, but I need to share it. It's kinda a recipe, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRLfGwQ7Nsw

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Randaconda posted:

Time traveler dude needs to keep posting

The Bloop posted:

Don't worry, he'll be writing about your posts in six to eight months

I just caught up to where I time travel posted to last December, and Randaconda is a cool and good poster who provides lots of content and has inspired funny emoticons, but is also a huge bitch when it comes to any unctuous, oozing or melted-but-obviously-delicious food

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just caught up to where I time travel posted to last December, and Randaconda is a cool and good poster who provides lots of content and has inspired funny emoticons, but is also a huge bitch when it comes to any unctuous, oozing or melted-but-obviously-delicious food

That's fair

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Greetings from 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Greetings from 2019

It's not any better, welcome.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a little splash of blackcurrant juice makes a nice gin and tonic. interesting history with them, they were banned for decades from the USA because the timber industry lobbied for it. blackcurrant plants are a vector for a fungal disease that kills pine trees.

https://foodtolive.com/healthy-blog/black-currants-banned-usa/

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

BMX Ninja posted:

Fun fact: parma violets, love hearts, refreshers and other similar (mostly UK-based) sweets are great for heartburn! Because they contain sodium bicarbonate and anti-caking agents like magnesium stearate and magnesium carbonate, they help neutralise stomach acid!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
But you can just get normal sodium bicarb

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I wish this could be the thread title somehow.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

But you can just get normal sodium bicarb

Tastes far worse tho

And if you're regularly using otc remedies like rennie and finding that for some reason they give you the shits, eating sweets that help with no side effects can work out pretty well

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They sell bicarb candy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

strawberries and cream oatmeal

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Bogus Adventure posted:

lobster bisque

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

WITCHCRAFT posted:

lobster bisque

menstrual-o-meal

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I see beans.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I was guessing seafood salad

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/NZnFDMU.mp4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Are those real chicken feet?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zipperelli. posted:

I was guessing seafood salad

That particular website has a lot of really lovely pictures of food. Like, Doobie-level lovely.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I've learned that keto idiots use psyllium husk as a flour replacement.
I've also learned that Metamucil (or at least, the off brand stuff) is just psyllium husk and sweetener.

... Could I bake with Metamucil? Discuss

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1188836884920844288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Why would they try to give the president vegetables? Surely they know better by now.