Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Candy was very draining. It helped a bit when the PoV switched to Roxy in order to point out that John's ongoing breakdown had been screwing with his interpretation of events. It was still pretty messed up though.

So, what do you think is The Moment where Homestuck 1.0 lost the plot and that Dirk intends to undo?

Pretty sure he was referring to the end of year 1 when the suggestion box closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dirk attempting to make his own Homestuck from the ground up feels like a natural extension from the epilogue - his monomaniacal need to be at the center of everything wouldn't be satisfied being a part of someone else's story, or being contained to a fan-fiction-ish addendum. He's go to do his own bigger, better Homestuck.

That's also pretty fertile ground for a ten-years-later retrospective on the comic itself, particularly the early parts. I think Dirk's a pretty effective vessel for that, as an antagonist recasting the story to make themselves the protagonist while also acting as a self-aware and insecure author trying to integrate the criticism surrounding the work itself. Whole lot going on there.

It's kind of funny to think this is sort of the high production value version of Caliborn's lovely low-quality Homestuck rewrite. As much as Dirk hated having to wrestle control of the narrative back from alt-Calliope, having to compare his work with Caliborn's would probably be all the more unbearable.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I never got around to reading the epilogues and I just found out Homestuck 2 got announced. Dare I dive back in?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

CuddlyZombie posted:

I never got around to reading the epilogues and I just found out Homestuck 2 got announced. Dare I dive back in?

Read the recap and dive in!
https://homestuck2.com/recap

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Whoa, that's handy.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Thundarr posted:

Candy was very draining. It helped a bit when the PoV switched to Roxy in order to point out that John's ongoing breakdown had been screwing with his interpretation of events. It was still pretty messed up though.

So, what do you think is The Moment where Homestuck 1.0 lost the plot and that Dirk intends to undo?

The introduction of Dirk's set of kids. Hopefully he's just trying to unwrite himself from existence.

The fact that the FAQ says that this is all fan-written with a Hussie-written outline makes me less than hopeful about its quality. Even what's already out just feels a little off and it'll probably just snowball. I'll still follow it, but I'm not gonna be enthused about it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
A decent yardstick for the changing tone of Homestuck over the years is that the first sentence of HS is, “A young man is standing in his bedroom on the day of his thirteenth birthday,” and the first sentence of HS2 is, “Surprise, bitch.”

The game very much done changed!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Is there a tldr somewhere of everything between the end and now? Please don't make me troll date.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

subpar anachronism posted:

Is there a tldr somewhere of everything between the end and now? Please don't make me troll date.

In the epilogues, John can choose to go complete the time loop of fighting Lord English, or not. This is a timeline split. When he does, he gathers the eight kids from the past with his retcon powers, carries out all the stuff you saw in the comic, and they are eventually released in the final battle with English. Most of them die and get sucked into the black hole, but so does English.
Back where John left off, Dirk and Rose started evolving as god-tiers to a sort of ascended meta-selves where they have oneness with all versions of themself. Dirk took naturally to this, bringing together all of his alternate selves, most of which were lovely dicks so he became a villain. Rose mostly just got sick. Dirk "treated" her by pulling her soul into a robot body that is subservient to him. Meanwhile, as the kids all grew up and couldn't really deal responsibly with adulthood, plus Dirk pulling strings, the political world around them kind of fell apart. Several characters have sex, John meets Terezi in the furthest ring and dies in her arms; she takes his body and escapes with Dirk and Rosebot on the spaceship where Dirk is going to start a new story as the villain. Kanaya, Roxy (who is now a trans guy), Dave and Karkat all chase after them, directed by adult-Calliope (we'll get to her).
Meanwhile, in the other timeline where past-destiny was never fulfilled, Dirk simply kills himself so there's no mastermind behind the scenes. Everyone's lives and relationships fall apart in different ways, several characters have children. Dave meets a hologram of Obama who convinces him to turn himself into a robot. It turns out this timeline is presided over by the adult Calliope that became the black hole, and everything sucked into the black hole gets dumped in it. Calliope has been wrestling with Dirk of the other timeline for narrative control, but he wins out. She possesses the dead Jade from the battle, consumes Lord English's corpse, and goes to pursue Dirk with Davebot and Aradia who also got sucked in.

I don't know anything about Friendsim, but Pesterquest follows on from it, starting with the friendship-obsessed stick figure protagonist adorned with a troll's hoodie trapped in Doc Scratch's apartment, during the main Homestuck events. Protagonist gets away from the situation and runs into the House Juju that gave John the retcon powers. The protagonist gets them instead, he gets sucked into the past and loses all memories of everything that happened to that point. But he now has the power to rewrite the timeline, and in the hopes of making friends with John that he bumped into (and subsequently all the other characters) he unwittingly prevents them from playing Sburb and starting the plot at all. No idea how this will play into the main story but it's another timeline to account for and there's a hidden note of Ultimate Dirk's thoughts on the situation.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

TVs Ian posted:

Would candied meat be acceptable? Some nice candied bacon or something.

It wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge if I found a non-ridiculous loophole. This isn't like the flask loving incident where whatshisnuts wore a fruit hat for a day to prove it was a hat before he ate it, I'm committed to putting together an omelette that will taste as silly as it looks.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

subpar anachronism posted:

The official recap is linked like three replies up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't like how much of this is framed as a meditation on being canonical or not. Is that just what Homestuck-related material is about now? Well, maybe we'll see how things go when there's other stuff going on besides the narrator Dirking off.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 26, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pesterquest major plot (mostly ignoring character) notes to date:

MSPA Reader glitches/stumbles into Day 1 of Homestuck. He promptly takes the mail out of John's mailbox, including John's birthday present from Dave and the Sburb beta, and accidentally drops them down the sewer. It develops that MSPA Reader can teleport through space and probably time. He uses this power to visit all the kids, and to demonstrate to them that he's really got magic. John, Rose, Dave, and Jade (in that order) are left feeling that something is weirdly off, Jade most of all, because she's having all these dramatic dreams about her future as a hero and then .... nothing?

At some point in John's branch the screen briefly glitches and we see a scrap of Dirk saying "Rose, areyoufeelingthistoo? Somemotherfucker'smessing with the n". (assumed to be "narrative" by one and all)
https://twitter.com/Homestuck_Info/status/1169302136083009536

Which is a strong hint that the Dirk from the Meat epilogue had plans for this particular world that is (was) about to run Sburb, and some motherfucker (identity TBD) has ruined Dirk's plans by destroying the Sburb beta.

We establish that Jade can't leave her island because every time she tries, Bec snaps her back. Instead, MSPA Reader snaps Jade, Dave, and John in, and they have a slumber party. Kanaya's branch is mostly about relationships, boo. In Karkat's story, he winds up under an immediate death sentence on Alternia, so MSPA Reader zaps Karkat over to Dave's house due to a vague feeling he can't explain. Dave is playing video games with John; Dave tells MSPA Reader that Bec had zapped him over.

Next up: Gamzee and Vriska, TBD.

If you want that old Act 1-3 vibe back, Pesterquest delivers in abundance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

....wait a drat minute, I just thought of something: Who's brain is that? Who's disembodied brain is Dirk just keeping around in his room?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Colgate posted:

Having just read the epilogue synopses, I can safely say Jane is the worst, and Candy is horribly depressing, and reading the actual thing sounds very draining.

It absolutely was, but something that seems to get missed by people who only read epilogues (and a lot of people only read worse ones :v: ) are the parts where its funny or touching or just good writing to appreciate lol. Like i'm reading the official recap and it feels rly clinical

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I’ve heard that there’s a sequel to homestuck now, written by the only people worse at writing homestuck than Hussite himself: Homestuck fans. Lol.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

....wait a drat minute, I just thought of something: Who's brain is that? Who's disembodied brain is Dirk just keeping around in his room?

My first guess would be Dave, who captcha'd his own brain so he could make that sweet device which could churn out SBaHJ comics.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Plom Bar posted:

It wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge if I found a non-ridiculous loophole. This isn't like the flask loving incident where whatshisnuts wore a fruit hat for a day to prove it was a hat before he ate it, I'm committed to putting together an omelette that will taste as silly as it looks.

I'm so loving glad someone else remembers this. Thank you so much.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

actually stoked that this is a group project, I like collaborative fiction and this is a very fitting story for that process imo

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

gonna guess real early on here that its not called Homestuck 2 just because it's a second Homestuck, it's Homestuck^2 for a reason. mostly that reason being that there's a new sburb session happening inside the world that resulted from the previous sburb session, and dirk or rose are going to build on how rose was starting to break the game last time and go all in on weird poo poo

probably going to start a sburb session inside a sburb session. sburb^2 for homestuck^2

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Ugh....

Okay...

So I read all of homestuck, but have no knowledge of Hiveswap, Pesterquest, whatever the gently caress else there is. Is there a good rundown of everything before I start? I'll check out that prologue rundown before I look elsewhere.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waffleopolis posted:

Ugh....

Okay...

So I read all of homestuck, but have no knowledge of Hiveswap, Pesterquest, whatever the gently caress else there is. Is there a good rundown of everything before I start? I'll check out that prologue rundown before I look elsewhere.

homestuck itself and the epilogue are all you need right now. hiveswap, pesterquest, that stuff is (currently) not connected to the story at all. people are theorizing that will change in the future but dont feel obligated to dive into any of that unless you want to

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well gently caress we got ambushed on 10/25 and nobody even had a lick of suspicion

shame on us all

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

even if they incorporate Hiveswap/Pesterquest/Friendsim stuff, it would be very much in keeping with this fuckin thing to ignore it if you want

I'd wager that a lot of the stuff in the video games are maybe true in-canon but not essential, since I'm pretty sure the people writing this know that most people won't play a bunch of visual novels- kinda like how you can enjoy The Wrath of Khan without having seen the old Star Trek episode that it's a sequel to, since those writers were pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't be able to access old TOS eps in 1982

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

paranoid randroid posted:

well gently caress we got ambushed on 10/25 and nobody even had a lick of suspicion

shame on us all

oh damnit

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so less than 24 hours in and we're up to 701 patrons

i continue to be perplexed by the longevity of this comic

e. ah gently caress it call it 702

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 26, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

The obvious choice is steak and candy corn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this is by Andrew Hussie™ and not by Andrew Hussie

I'm gonna follow the thread but skip everything until john gets back since everyone else is insufferable

Jen X fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

i continue to be perplexed by the longevity of this comic

lotta those patrons were prolly in middle school when homestuck began, it's a powerful time to be introduced to media (see also: star wars)

this is really only the beginning, homestuck^2 is return of the jedi in this tortured analogy

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

shame on us all

James Roach told us to expect lessened importance on the Magic Homestuck Dates and we, like fools, took him at his word

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a job when I first started reading Homestuck.

Now I'm living on welfare while job searching. Woo.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

much like the format of the comic i have come full circle from 'just got laid off so wow heres some free time' to 'in month five of arduous process of disability application so wow heres some free time'

mad @ dirk 4 influencing irl narrative ensuring i have time 2 read home stuck

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

god willing John never comes back

now, on the other hand, June...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fender Anarchist posted:

god willing John never comes back

now, on the other hand, June...

:hmmyes:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

why

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Peanut Butler posted:

much like the format of the comic i have come full circle from 'just got laid off so wow heres some free time' to 'in month five of arduous process of disability application so wow heres some free time'

mad @ dirk 4 influencing irl narrative ensuring i have time 2 read home stuck

I got my IT degree a few months back and I'd probably have a job already if I wasn't also dealing with depression/anxiety disorder. Yay!

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
When Homestuck started I had just lost a leg to an IED and since then I've lost my other leg to a seperate IED

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

When Homestuck started I had just lost a leg to an IED and since then I've lost my other leg to a seperate IED

damm guess you're really homestuck

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

quote:

There he finds a transportalizer that leads him to a chamber with a Hero of Hope outfit and a holographic projection of Barack Obama, who addresses him directly.

Outrageous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I thought the Epilogue's Dirk was well done, very fun. This Dirk seems like a buffoon. Trying to emulate Hussie's signature verbosity without coming across as cringe is gonna be a challenge