Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not just cybernetics.

I totally want to kill a talking pig titan, rip out his heart and replace my own with his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Has anyone made a calculator for Tap Tap Dig? I remember a few websites that helped out planning Adventure Capitalist purchases back in the day and they were very useful in helping me make numbers go up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just realized the rear end-cessory is pretty much a straight upgrade of the fanny pack.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anfauglir posted:

I feel like those should be the default ones, and you buy like cyborg organs or something for AP.

Well, you start with "your teeth", "your heart" etc.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

You unlock systems like WEEKS before you can meaningfully use them in any way. There's a thriving community to tell you that you're doing it wrong - sure - but that's kind of just building a newbie trap and I suspect it's causing some level of dropoff in play for people. Like when you get the Time Machine you can't use it for a long while, and then eventually it's amazing. Same with Wandoos, same with NGU, and same with MacGuffins.

Other stuff you unlock and it's an immediate paradigm shift, which makes for huge gains.

It's interesting that you use the Time Machine as an example of a newbie trap rather than an immediate paradigm shift, because in my experience it's actually the latter. Sure, it doesn't make sense to put Energy or Magic into it right away, but just having a 0/0 time machine around changes Augments from almost entirely useless because you can't get enough gold to the most important thing for a while.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
I'm 21 days into playing ngu and was making ok progress have the clockwork set and yddrasil unlocked energy is base 50 1mill 50 grb on autokill it seems like the next step is to spend an entire month doing the basic and 24 hr challenges is that a misstep? It seems like a huge chore and a bit boring. But I can't see another direction to go right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Only do 1 of each Challenge for the first completion bonus and then forget about them until you can finish one in less than 20min. The progression at this point isn't much different from what you - probably - already did before, max your set and put some Adv Training until you can idle the 2D Universe. Spend some Exp on getting your Cap high enough to Auto Activate the first three fruits and then back on Power and Bars as usual.

At this point, you might want to adjust your Rebirth to be as long as your fruit takes to grow, preferably the Fruit of Adventure for its permanent bonus. The Ygg goal right now is getting the Pom autoactivate so it can feed the rest of the fruits.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So I just summited the Mega Lands wall (which is to say, I can idle there until I hit the stupid kitten mech woman), and I'm not sure what to do next. The level 0 set pieces come with their stats maxed, but that's still not even close to handling UUG.

Should I keep pumping advanced training for a few days and leveling up the mega set and eating iron pills/fruit, or am I missing a step? I have a level 100 ring, so it's mainly a matter of getting my stats high enough.

vvv Sorry, forgot to specify, this is NGU Adventure. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 21, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
NGU Adventure? The exploder enemies are Power checks, if they're getting you then you still need more stats.

You'll need to pump it pretty high for UUG as well, no reason not to begin here.

edit: and pump the Time Machine then eat Fruits of Gold for your Diggers. Any that gets a level up gives a bonus to all the others.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the new filters, 4G. I have just discovered that the boosted boosts perks cap at 60, not 50, and so I've been missing out on having my boosts be 22% better for the past forever.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Thanks for the new filters, 4G. I have just discovered that the boosted boosts perks cap at 60, not 50, and so I've been missing out on having my boosts be 22% better for the past forever.

They used to cap at 50, they were increased to 60 around the time exile came out I believe.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Only do 1 of each Challenge for the first completion bonus and then forget about them until you can finish one in less than 20min. The progression at this point isn't much different from what you - probably - already did before, max your set and put some Adv Training until you can idle the 2D Universe. Spend some Exp on getting your Cap high enough to Auto Activate the first three fruits and then back on Power and Bars as usual.

At this point, you might want to adjust your Rebirth to be as long as your fruit takes to grow, preferably the Fruit of Adventure for its permanent bonus. The Ygg goal right now is getting the Pom autoactivate so it can feed the rest of the fruits.

Thanks for the advice grinding those challenges would of probably made me drop it in the end. I thought it might be important for that 25 pct adventure stat increase. As the compounding increase of that and adv training would be pretty big and my max stat but not level clock set needs some adv training to stay at max health in the clockwork adventure zone

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

NGU i couldnt kill fairy godmother so now im knocking out all 25 basic challeneges for the 50% adventure stats :/

they dont take long, but please remove the 3 min min time between challenges T.T

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

they dont take long, but please remove the 3 min min time between challenges T.T

I've been asking for that for ages, I don't think it's going to happen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm coming up on the end of Normal, and am marathoning through a bunch of challenges for the benefits there and yeah, wow. I didn't think it would be that bad, but the 3 minute minimum makes it so much more of a slog. I get that it's there because it's the minimum time before you can Rebirth at all, but for the non-Laser Sword challenges it just kinda doesn't make sense?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sillyman posted:

It's interesting that you use the Time Machine as an example of a newbie trap rather than an immediate paradigm shift, because in my experience it's actually the latter. Sure, it doesn't make sense to put Energy or Magic into it right away, but just having a 0/0 time machine around changes Augments from almost entirely useless because you can't get enough gold to the most important thing for a while.

Sure, I kind of forgot that it does have a base usefulness beyond the increase, so I guess amend my complaint to that. And notably, he just fixed a bunch of early game stuff like this so I guess it's been heard?

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm coming up on the end of Normal, and am marathoning through a bunch of challenges for the benefits there and yeah, wow. I didn't think it would be that bad, but the 3 minute minimum makes it so much more of a slog. I get that it's there because it's the minimum time before you can Rebirth at all, but for the non-Laser Sword challenges it just kinda doesn't make sense?

100% this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I've been asking for that for ages, I don't think it's going to happen.

There's a way around it but uh... it's after the place that it's useful.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Guess I'm going to try out 4G's little project, here goes nothing

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

FreshFeesh posted:

Guess I'm going to try out 4G's little project, here goes nothing

The most important thing is joining the discord and finding methods to @ him without appearing to do it to annoy him.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
Got sucked into NGU idle a couple of weeks ago and am hooked. Haven't even looked at RG since starting.

Not too much feedback to offer on the new player experience; doing slightly longer runs rather than the optimized 30-60 min ones still feel rewarding and it feels like I'm making decent progress by supplementing my own play with a bit of wiki info. The patch change to lower the cost of additional inventory slots will be a much appreciated one for anyone starting out after 1.001 though!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I started NGU and am kind of liking it so far, though I kind of am in a small holding pattern of grinding keys/number drops so I can get those bonuses unlocked and move on to clockwork/maxing the GRB set

I kind of want to start the challenges but how low should I be with the basic training costs before that?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I kind of want to start the challenges but how low should I be with the basic training costs before that?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I started NGU and am kind of liking it so far, though I kind of am in a small holding pattern of grinding keys/number drops so I can get those bonuses unlocked and move on to clockwork/maxing the GRB set

I had my basic training low enough that during my first basic challenge I got all but the last one down to 1.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It doesn't have to be that low, but it should be low enough that you don't give a gently caress about how much energy you've allocated to basic training because it's no longer significant. That should be good enough to do a basic and a 24 hour challenge and get you set up better for the next bit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

something posted:

If you contact me on discord, I give out the 5$ pack for free to goons.

Sick

Deathmic
Oct 24, 2009

something posted:

If you contact me on discord, I give out the 5$ pack for free to goons.

Don't mind if I do.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

steam NGU baby here, how long until i get through the rick and morty themed content

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Andronian posted:

steam NGU baby here, how long until i get through the rick and morty themed content

the spiky haired guy will be briefly mentioned from time to time in the #lore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

the spiky haired guy will be briefly mentioned from time to time in the #lore.

I still do not buy that description of him, Spiky Haired dude and being teased that I need to beat him to unlock challenges and thinking about them for over a month, I was convinced it was adult Goku. You let me believe this for so long during beta. In my mind he's still adult goku out for revenge after killing kid on a cloud aka child Goku.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

I still do not buy that description of him, Spiky Haired dude and being teased that I need to beat him to unlock challenges and thinking about them for over a month, I was convinced it was adult Goku. You let me believe this for so long during beta. In my mind he's still adult goku out for revenge after killing kid on a cloud aka child Goku.

Ditto for pre-picture Boss 58

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uh oh, kongregate can no longer find my ngu cloud save?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Reload the page, the API probably didnt respond

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I signed out and back in and flushed my cache and everything.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Your manual save shouldn't be more than a day old so not the end of the world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thankfully my chrome doesn't retain local saves due to some third party cookie blocking.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Thankfully my chrome doesn't retain local saves due to some third party cookie blocking.

Not local saves, the manual save button that lights up green every day? That saves a file of your save.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You know I hit that button every single day and totally forgot that actually generated a file on my computer :lol:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Yeah, that button is a godsend. I don't save every day, but after losing my save in Scream Collector it's better to be safe than sorry.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In NGU Idle is there a way to make your basic training faster that I'm missing, or is that a more end game thing? I'm currently around Boss 47 or so, and just doing rebirths to get my basic training energy costs to zero. Seems very slow, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a mechanic that I have access to right now.

Also what should I put my XP into? I'm at 140k energy and 350/energy sec but things seem to have slowed down significantly for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In NGU Idle is there a way to make your basic training faster that I'm missing, or is that a more end game thing? I'm currently around Boss 47 or so, and just doing rebirths to get my basic training energy costs to zero. Seems very slow, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a mechanic that I have access to right now.

Also what should I put my XP into? I'm at 140k energy and 350/energy sec but things seem to have slowed down significantly for me.

You'll eventually be able to double, then triple basic training, but eventually it's just something that you put a tiny bit into and forget about.