Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
VB content:

There is a Transmetropolitan reference in Venture Bros. The glasses the Sovereign wears when he appears to Rusty pretending to be "You! From the future!!" in The Revenge Society are a mirror-image reversal of Spider Jerusalem's dataglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tatsuta Age posted:

THAT'S MY DAISY!

I thought god shaved your head.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t wanna derail further so I’ll just say that they’re never painted as something to be hated or feared, they’re painted as “others who want to live their lives but who make people uncomfortable by existing” and I don’t feel like that’s a bad read for a minority suffering from violence and police brutality.

Derail as much as you want. I wasn't criticizing. :D

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought god shaved your head.

He does!

But he leaves the sides, Mr. Wisenheimer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Transients are a bit of a weird case that come off as more a furry/otherkin metaphor sometimes. (Though there's always been some mixed signals there, especially since it seems probably the majority of furries are somewhere on the LBGT+ spectrum) That said, they also get objectified and fetishised by the same people who oppress them, resulting in a lot of them ending up in sex work, and their marginalisation makes them vulnerable to predatory and manipulative people.

Hell, kinda the whole theme of Transmetropolitan is about how the newer generations are different in ways the older ones don't understand and are increasingly violently hostile to, which was way more on the money than anyone could have feared.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Final episode of OK KO: Let's Be Heroes had a cameo of Brick Frog in it, appropriate since the show's creator Ian JQ had worked on the show as his first professional animation gig

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
speaking of cartoon network shows with a tangential relation to VB, the recent show Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart (the show was originally going to be called I Love You Mao Mao but it turns out the world of international copyrights is a very complex place) has Jackson voice the main recurring villain (Orangusnake), one of his henchmen (Boss Hosstritch) and a few of the minor extras (plus it's made by Titmouse, so there's some crew overlap, like the show's creator having been one of the animators on the Shallow Gravy special)

https://twitter.com/enjoy_mao_mao/status/1164708972437417984

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Boss Hosstrich is one of those names that I’m noticeably angry about not coming up with myself.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Well poo poo, I guess I'll throw it onto the pile.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

speaking of cartoon network shows with a tangential relation to VB, the recent show Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart (the show was originally going to be called I Love You Mao Mao but it turns out the world of international copyrights is a very complex place) has Jackson voice the main recurring villain (Orangusnake), one of his henchmen (Boss Hosstritch) and a few of the minor extras (plus it's made by Titmouse, so there's some crew overlap, like the show's creator having been one of the animators on the Shallow Gravy special)

https://twitter.com/enjoy_mao_mao/status/1164708972437417984

Seeing Titmouse do a show on Disney Junior and either not having that show's characters or 21/Rusty/ Col. Gentleman yelling "Chirp!" is throwing me off.

Thank you for listening, I'll eat the pennies now.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Kind of re-watching the series from the beginning with the new french dub that is currently airing. The traduction is decent, as are the actors, but the Sargasso episode makes me sad that we don't have a stereotypical pirate accent.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 15, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

Kind of re-watching the series from the beginning with the new french dub that is currently airing. The traduction is decent, as are the actors, but the Sargasso episode makes me sad that we don't have a stereotypical pirate accent.

Now I'm curious as to what would be the French version of a stereotypical Pirate accent, kinda like how Anime dubs will give characters from Osaka or Kansai stereotypical Southern or Texan accents

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Now I'm curious as to what would be the French version of a stereotypical Pirate accent, kinda like how Anime dubs will give characters from Osaka or Kansai stereotypical Southern or Texan accents
Sadly, we don't really use regional accents in dubs, or even in our own cinema (except if the story kind of revolves around it, like Dany Boon's north-related stuff or Marcel Pagnol's Marseilles trilogy), as far as I've experienced. Although I've seen bits of a dub in which a stereotypical American general was apparently given a noticeable Marseilles accent. Stuff like Irish, Australian, English, American, regional American accents are completely lost on us in the dubs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

How do they do the pun names? Like does Harangueutang work in french?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how the Spanish dub of One Piece apparently originally played up the 'pirate' aspects a lot more with their version of pirate accents. And even a regional one; Usopp was styled after a Barbary Corsair.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

James Urbaniak is really good and I want to appreciate him with this post.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kesper North posted:

Here I thought the Beast was currently in office.

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1172366759401115650

:popeye:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Whoops double postin'

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

How do they do the pun names? Like does Harangueutang work in french?
We're not there yet :razzy: . Yesterday was only the third day of airing (three episodes each time) and from what I've seen, they've only planned to air season 1 through 3 for the moment (for context : the reason there is a dub in the first place is because Adult Swim itself has launched in France in July). Right now the only punny names I can remember are Baron von Underbheit (Baron von Schumâchoire) and Underland (Mâchoireland).

Smiles with teeth should just not be a thing. At best it makes you look like a laughing horse, at worse it's creepy.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 15, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

X_Toad posted:

Smiles with teeth should just not be a thing. At best it makes you look like a laughing horse, at worse it's creepy.
For real though, especially that much teeth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wasn’t on this thread when the latest season came out but was there something going on with the voices in the first couple episodes? They sound kind of off and then it goes back to the same old after a bit. I think it was on some characters voiced by different people so it’s not like it was one person had a cold or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Phantom limb sounded like Stewie in the opening episodes, it was pretty jarring to me. I forget who else sounded weird though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Phantom limb sounded like Stewie in the opening episodes, it was pretty jarring to me. I forget who else sounded weird though.

The Monarch sounded super weird when it still wasn't clear he was going to become a full-fledged full-time character.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Phantom limb has always been voiced by James Urbaniak. If rusty sounded off, too, it might be because he had a cold or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The monarch sounds more like Skeletor than he ended up sounding.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
With the exceptions of Rusty and maybe Brock, voice quality is proportional to theatricality.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Monarch just went to screaming constantly and I'm all for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TK-42-1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhNDtSqPRA

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

I’ve noticed a link between how loud the monarch is and how much he’s my favorite character. I’d say I’d love a version of the show that followed him more than the ventures but that’s really S6 and 7 and it rules.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve noticed a link between how loud the monarch is and how much he’s my favorite character. I’d say I’d love a version of the show that followed him more than the ventures but that’s really S6 and 7 and it rules.

Him and Rocco dunking in Wide Wale is one of my favorite moments in the show. Also “THE POLAR BEAR FROM LOST”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

Him and Rocco dunking in Wide Wale is one of my favorite moments in the show. Also “THE POLAR BEAR FROM LOST”

Oh man the stuff with him and Wale ruled.

I really hope they deliver on the time traveling Venture that’s apparently buried the hatchet with him from the blizzard episode. I think there’s a good story there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Monarch is such a great character that the writers manufactured a way to make him a Venture Brother.

e: Of course what I posted earlier meant The Monarch is only the second-best character after DOCTOR ORPHEUS !!!

why can't I find a Youtube video with just his majestic theme...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 25, 2019

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mega64 posted:

The Monarch is such a great character that the writers manufactured a way to make him a Venture Brother.

e: Of course what I posted earlier meant The Monarch is only the second-best character after DOCTOR ORPHEUS !!!

why can't I find a Youtube video with just his majestic theme...

Do not be too hasty entering that room... I had TACO BELL FOR LUNCH!

I can't read those words not in his voice with the theme behind it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I could've sworn one of the albums has his theme but I could be misremembering. I just know one episode it plays nearly the whole thing but he's still talking.

I could quote Byron Orpehus all day but still my favorite: GET ME MY BLUE WINNND BREAAAKER.

edit: I'm very aware I posted that quote before but gently caress it the best one because just the dramatic sting stops for a second for Triana to interrupt him and then BAM STING again when he says BLUE WINNND BREAKER kills me everytime.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 25, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My FAMOUS FRITTATA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Did you say...AN ORPHAN?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dr. Orpheus was funnier than any other character on the show, and his prolonged absence from the last 2 seasons was palpable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I still love that the Blood Vessel's license plates were the plates I grew up with, the classic Itallic Illinois jobs that lasted from 1984 to 2001. Truly a novel of graphic design? No, but an instant nostalgia rush. I wonder why they picked that particular plate style?

In any event, it's cool when something random like that pops up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I get a kick out of the fact that in the diner scene where they’re planning movie night, the ad on the back of a magazine is for a powder blue Nissan stanza. That car hadn’t come up since what, season 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I get a kick out of the fact that in the diner scene where they’re planning movie night, the ad on the back of a magazine is for a powder blue Nissan stanza. That car hadn’t come up since what, season 2?

Season 3, technically. Twenty-Four laments the loss of the car, which occurred during the crash of the cocoon*. We see it in all its final... glory?... as he bemoans the fact that he never finished paying Doug for the car.

Ha. "Little midge-Hitlers." Forgot about that.

* an amazingly hard word to spell right on the first three tries.