Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what type of animals hasn't been made into a pokemon yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Shout out to Mythical Events using a screenshot from an event that was never actually distributed. I sure do miss learning about things from data miners that I can never experience in-game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kurtofan posted:

they missed a huge chance to make a canadian goose pokemon in alola

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kurtofan posted:

Dolphin and peacock.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vandar posted:

Dolphin and peacock.

What ?? Really

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

What ?? Really

We didn't have a koala until Gen VII or a panda until Gen VI or an ant until Gen V.

Hell, we didn't really get a wolf until Gen VII either.

They hold off on the obvious stuff sometimes so they have more to work with later, I think.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm impressed people are stanning for the game corner, like, you have seen the controversy around in-game gambling, right?

Even if it's in-game currency for a different in-game currency, is it really the look you want to have?

Furthermore now that TMs have unlimited uses what would you even put in one?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Furthermore now that TMs have unlimited uses what would you even put in one?

MEGAWEAPON, obviously.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Game corner is bad

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vandar posted:

MEGAWEAPON, obviously.

The ethical implications of selling Pokemon as a prize are staggering.

Which is why none of the fan games that include it actually seem to notice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The loss of stuff like PSS was terrible and Festival Plaza was a poo poo replacement for it. But so many things on that list are utterly redundant or were really obvious side activities for that particular generation. Or were good ideas on paper, but turned out to get executed terribly, and I don't trust Game Freak to get those right the next time. (The 2nd region was really cool back in the GSC days. But it was kind of flawed in places. HGSS leaving in a bunch of big core problems about it was a lot less forgivable.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vandar posted:

Manectric was introduced in 2002.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This image honestly just reminded me that they have been pretty good at getting rid of bad features, like the Safari zone and roaming legendaries sucked

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

less laughter posted:

Manectric was introduced in 2002.

Okay a wolf that doesn't look dumb then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

This image honestly just reminded me that they have been pretty good at getting rid of bad features, like the Safari zone and roaming legendaries sucked

:same:

Also the Safari Zone kept getting worse with each gen. Like by HGSS you had to open up the game for 100 days to get all the Pokemon from it!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I like you gossiping in the 'cord too, Vandar.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

Okay a wolf that doesn't look dumb then.

Wow what the gently caress

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ORAS Safari Zone being free and having unlimited steps struck me as Game Freak acknowledging how loving awful the Safari Zones were as a concept.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Safari Zone is just Pokemon Go now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The ORAS Safari Zone being free and having unlimited steps struck me as Game Freak acknowledging how loving awful the Safari Zones were as a concept.

Trying to catch stuff like Chansey through the power of so much sheer RNG on top of the existing catch system, let alone running into it, as a kid was a really frustrating experience.

Ball capsules were a neat idea, but had utterly horrific implementation. You had to tear those off every time you wanted to reconfigure your party.

Riding Pokemon is listed there when the Rotom bike is the replacement for them?

Super Training was such a slow way to EV train compared to the normal methods. And you never had to do stuff like EV train during the main campaign of any game, so it's just kind of there. And in practice, if you actually do want to get into competitive where EVs do matter, chances are you'll have to dump your maingame team for a competitive one anyways because of various issues. (Bad IVs in Gen VI, can at least be bottle capped in Gen VII. Also not having their hidden ability, which you have no way to switch to. Or having a bad nature, which is actually getting addressed in Sword and Shield.)

Contests were a neat side activity in Gen III, but really sucked afterwards. A lot of the potential depth to them got torn out in Gen IV's version of the move portion.

The underground was a great side activity and I miss it dearly.

Wi-Fi plaza was made utterly redundant by PSS, the loss of which will still be lamented.

Sky battles had to have been one of the least interesting gimmicks, and it ruined several Pokemon from an aesthetic standpoint.

I wouldn't mind if seasons came back, but only from an aesthetic standpoint. Gameplay wise they just served to serve as roadblocks and gated off Pokemon encounters. It's basically like a more obstructive day/night cycle with even less control over it, and a lot more downtime between changes. And I can understand why they got scrapped so quickly since they would have had to design so many of the areas in the game 4 times, and the next games were on the 3DS.

Mom's bank is an utterly redundant feature now that the penalties for losing money is a lot less harsh in the later Pokemon games. Meaning the only functionality it has is decorating your room through RNG. Which was made obsolete in the later generations by just allowing you to buy the drat Pokedolls for yourself to decorate your various living spaces throughout the generations.

Yeah I miss the auto-run toggle too. That was some good QOL that bizarrely never came back.

Inverse battles were a neat little side thing, but that's all they can really be. Demanding that the player learns an entirely new set of rules for the main game can go terribly if implemented wrong, which would be really easy to do. (The Pokemon Insurgence fangame has a good example of a very botched implementation.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

can't believe gamefreak and masuda got rid of 'defog' as a mandatory hm

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Araxxor posted:

Inverse battles were a neat little side thing, but that's all they can really be. Demanding that the player learns an entirely new set of rules for the main game can go terribly if implemented wrong, which would be really easy to do. (The Pokemon Insurgence fangame has a good example of a very botched implementation.)

Maybe Inverse Battles could be a toggle in the options menu (e.g. Invert Type Chart) for the whole game, for those players who enjoy them and know that type chart. Or like a New Game + after the first campaign playthrough, where that type chart is always active instead of the regular one. I enjoyed them a lot in gen VI and wish there had been more of them. It also gives some mons who are useless otherwise a chance to shine, like Aurorus.

I haven't played Insurgence, what went wrong with it there?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

less laughter posted:

Maybe Inverse Battles could be a toggle in the options menu (e.g. Invert Type Chart) for the whole game, for those players who enjoy them and know that type chart. Or like a New Game + after the first campaign playthrough, where that type chart is always active instead of the regular one. I enjoyed them a lot in gen VI and wish there had been more of them. It also gives some mons who are useless otherwise a chance to shine, like Aurorus.

I haven't played Insurgence, what went wrong with it there?

Basically a maingame boss fight set the fight to Inverse rules. (And the overall difficulty of the fangame was aimed to be higher.) There wasn't even any build-up to it beforehand so you suddenly got thrust into a battle with entirely different rules. Not even a small period of time to let the player get used to the different ruleset.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Inverse battles were horribly mismanaged, wasn't there only like one trainer who did them? They are a cool idea, idk if a whole campaign based around them is awesome but a little postgame area would be neat

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I think it makes sense in the context of Pokemon as trained animals, which is how the games generally present them (at least prior to Gen 5), and in any case the people selling them are Team Rocket, who are not good people. Obviously in the anime setting the idea would be horrific. Though even in the anime, Pokemon eggs are sometimes given away as prizes for competitions without any acknowledgement that this might be ethically dubious.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oh I can happily send one out into the grass to casually nuke one before catching it's sleeping weakened body in a cage but just buying one is immoral?

It's just as dumb to worry about the ethical implications as literally anything else you do on a minute to minute basis in the game.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This is the first Pokemon game I'm coming back to since the original red and blue and holy poo poo it looks like it got more complicated.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Axetrain posted:

This is the first Pokemon game I'm coming back to since the original red and blue and holy poo poo it looks like it got more complicated.

It's a game for literal babies with a dozen hours of tutorial text boxes throughout.

You can read you'll be fine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like sky battles need a completely different system to be worthwhile. If you could, say, change the altitude of your Pokemon for different effects, that'd at least add something besides "its a battle with 1% of the Pokedex!"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Axetrain posted:

Yeah Weezing is now Poison/Fairy instead of just Poison

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh I can happily send one out into the grass to casually nuke one before catching it's sleeping weakened body in a cage but just buying one is immoral?

It's just as dumb to worry about the ethical implications as literally anything else you do on a minute to minute basis in the game.

It was also only done in Gens I and II and their remakes, and Team Rocket was explicitly tied to the Gen I version, so it was something the games did touch upon, if lightly. That statement wasn't made entirely out of nowhere. Later game corners just replaced the prize Pokemon with something else.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vandar posted:

We didn't have a koala until Gen VII or a panda until Gen VI or an ant until Gen V.

They hold off on the obvious stuff sometimes so they have more to work with later, I think.

mightyena is a wolf

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

aahhh!!ddium posted:

mightyena is a wolf

It's a hyena.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Pass lets you get 3 codes per account. There's a button to do that.

Sun and Ultra Sun get Lunala
Moon and Ultra Moon get Solgaleo

Oh poo poo so there IS a button for more codes. Kinda crummy I can't get a shiny Solgaleo by myself. Does anyone want to trade a Solgaleo for Lunala?

Oh wait I can generate more codes but I can’t use them. drat it, game.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 26, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
We've also had a panda since 2002: Spinda, the Spot Panda Pokémon.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There has yet to be a capybara pokemon and that's just bullshit

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Give me a sand dollar pokemon. Give me an urchin pokemon.

Give me a Sponge Pokemon. Pretty sure that's the only animal Phylum we haven't covered outside of worms (I'm not counting any of the dingy caterpillar-esque bug types). Pretty much all the weirdass eyeless invertebrates.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Jables88 posted:

Got it. Do multiple (for example) Pikachu cards exist in a format at once? Are you then limited somehow from filling your deck with Pikachus of different kinds?

There can and will be multiple copies of Pokemon in any given format.

In regular deck building (Unlimited, Expanded & Standard),
-60 card deck, 6 prize cards
-you can have a maximum of 4 cards with the same name. You can use 4 of the same Squirtle, 2 copies of two different Squirtle, etc if it doesn't exceed 4 total
--basic energy cards are the exception which can have as many copies as you like
--cards like 'Dark' Pokemon or 'Trainer's' Pokemon are unique names, so a deck could use 4 Geodude and 4 Brock's Geodude or 4 Persian and 4 Dark Persian
-there are some cards with more restrictions like
--Ace Spec trainers, one Ace Spec per deck period
--Pokemon*, one per deck period
--Prism Star cards, one copy of each per deck
--Arceus from the Diamond/Pearl sets had rule text on the card that let you use as many as you want in a deck, more recent ones don't have that rule since its playstyle changed
--some Unown have their letter as part of their name, some are just named Unown but have a letter to id which one they are, it's stupid

In a draft/prerelease format
-40 card decks, 4 prize cards
-if you manage to get 7 Psyduck, feel free to use all 7, no regular card limits
--cards that specify limits on them still follow that limit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vandar posted:

It's a hyena.

jlaw okay gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I refuse to believe that anybody actually wants roaming legendaries to come back.