Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shamir, Marianne, Felix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

It took me several attempts across multiple IRL days (not back to back, obviously) to finally clear it. Even with multiple fliers and cavalry, that map is extremely unforgiving, and sometimes you just lose because the villager AI did something you couldn't have possibly expected, and being able to fix it would involve rewinding so far that you might as well just restart.

And the Aegis Shield isn't even that great on Maddening, since letting Felix take hits is extremely dangerous, and no amount of Pavise/Aegis will help.

God. Yea, I remember thinking how useless the Rock would be.

Nobody can really tank on Maddening either to be honest, barring a few exceptional units.

Tell me you only did one Maddening route at least.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

God. Yea, I remember thinking how useless the Rock would be.

Nobody can really tank on Maddening either to be honest, barring a few exceptional units.

Tell me you only did one Maddening route at least.

I quit midway through Blue Lions because I'd basically gotten into an unwinnable state, and I had better things to do with my time than game the RNG.

I'm still considering doing the last two runs of this LP on Maddening NG+ using files that have specific abilities on specific characters, but that's still subject to change until I actually get there.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Doing the LP on Maddening even with NG+ sounds like a quick way to burn out and this game deserves a good LP.

I've got some notes for my Maddening run, I'll type them up soon but since I have images, I'll be throwing them up on an lpix. Also, I'm doing Church route, so if you're planning on doing CF, I can't cover that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Mysticblade posted:

Doing the LP on Maddening even with NG+ sounds like a quick way to burn out and this game deserves a good LP.

Oh, so what you're saying is that it's the right thing to do, so a better LP can take its place.

(I kid, I kid. I just self-critique and, as a result, jokingly deride my LPs a lot. :v:)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

maddening feels more like a bonus LP you do when you've finished all the stories you actually want to show off tbh

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's kind of a pity that neither Raphael or Dedue have crests. Their speed is already crap, so on Maddening just having the option to give them +6 defense without a real downside would be nice.

Granted, I don't think Raphael and Dedue are particularly good so.....

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Dedue is invaluable on Maddening where he's one of the few units that can enter danger zones and probably survive. On lower difficulties he's kind of redundant since you can usually play super offensive strategies and get away with it, and defensive classes' low Mv is anathema to that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed.

quote:

Lysithea: 19
Bernadetta: 11
Caspar: 8
Petra: 8
Hubert: 7
Felix: 6
Dorothea: 6
Shamir: 6

quote:

Ferdinand: 5
Ingrid: 4
Marianne: 4
Linhardt: 3
Annette: 3
Sylvain: 2
Mercedes: 1

By a coinflip, we'll be taking Ferdinand and Marianne along as adjutants.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

you all made a very good choice

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem I had with Dedue on Maddening in the early game is that he's always guarenteed to get doubled. Without the armor knight class boosting his defense, it actually made him less durable than both Dimitri, the MC, and Sylvain, who could avoid being doubled often enough to get ahead of Dedue durability-wise.

After 10, it's less of a problem since armor knight gives enough defense to mitigate that, but Sylvain should be fully online by that point and generally doing a better job of tanking at that point....

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
He gets doubled by basically everyone, yes, but so do most units on Maddening.

Admittedly, my perception of him is probably skewed by being on NG+, and therefore being able to load him up with a Silver Shield right from the get-go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I can confirm that Dedue is an excellent tank even in NG Maddening even before level 10. After that, I didn't even make him an Armor Knight and he could still tank very well as a Brigand. (Leather Shield and bushes help.) He was also just average on his Def growths. Sylvain has an effective -4 Def compared to Dedue before growths, so I really kinda doubt he could make a better tank, and Dedue's Spd is also not that big of an issue early on because you have Annette.

Maybe the tipping point was the Church of Seiros battalion that gives +3 Prt at max level, which means when he gets doubled he still takes very minimal damage, whereas Sylvain will still let some of the damage through.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 23, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I feel like the plumber hanging out with a bunch of doctors.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I feel like the plumber hanging out with a bunch of doctors.

It's ok, you're not the only one. I love this game but it's my first Fire Emblem and I've never been great shakes with mechanics and number crunching in any RPG.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I’ve played more of them than Nintendo will sell me and the difference there is I can follow the conversation for a few minutes before checking out and being glad I don’t mind stomping games into the dirt and thus can play on Normal shame-free.

Although for the *most* part Maddening is defanged a bit if you’re still using Casual mode, harvesting enemies for exp isn’t nearly as nuts that way and you can recover from errors at least a little.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Being able to give him +4 defense from the outset is quite a tipping point for early-game Dedue, yes. I suspect my Dedue had a slight defense deficit in the start too, which definitely doesn't help.

blizzardvizard posted:

I can confirm that Dedue is an excellent tank even in NG Maddening even before level 10. After that, I didn't even make him an Armor Knight and he could still tank very well as a Brigand. (Leather Shield and bushes help.) He was also just average on his Def growths. Sylvain has an effective -4 Def compared to Dedue before growths, so I really kinda doubt he could make a better tank, and Dedue's Spd is also not that big of an issue early on because you have Annette.

Maybe the tipping point was the Church of Seiros battalion that gives +3 Prt at max level, which means when he gets doubled he still takes very minimal damage, whereas Sylvain will still let some of the damage through.

Sylvain (mage version) isn't so much a straight tank as he is a dodge tank who can still take some damage to the chin. Defensive terrain in this game has really high numbers, but the typical unit using them still has about 40-50% hit rates on them or so. Sylvain dropping that by another 20% means he can and will hold off entire sides of the map. Give him an adjutant and that adjutant will gain more experience than the average unit you brought to that map (as well as giving Sylvain some more dodge cause reasons).

You can use Jeralt's Mercenaries for an early avoid boost if you want it too.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Keldulas posted:

Sylvain (mage version) isn't so much a straight tank as he is a dodge tank who can still take some damage to the chin. Defensive terrain in this game has really high numbers, but the typical unit using them still has about 40-50% hit rates on them or so. Sylvain dropping that by another 20% means he can and will hold off entire sides of the map. Give him an adjutant and that adjutant will gain more experience than the average unit you brought to that map (as well as giving Sylvain some more dodge cause reasons).

You can use Jeralt's Mercenaries for an early avoid boost if you want it too.

Did you mean Ferdinand? Sylvain's ability is +2/-2 damage dealt/taken when adjacent to a female ally, Ferdinand's the one with an innate dodge boost

e: v Oh, right

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 24, 2019

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Sylvain's hidden talent is Reason and it gives him Black Magic Avoid +20. It's also more reliable than Ferdinand's because it's always on as long as you're a mage, versus turning off the second the RNG rolls bad for you.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 19.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I was going to make a joke about never seeing Edelgard and the Flame Emperor in the same place but I realized we haven't, had we?

oh gently caress :ohdear:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I think a line of dialogue was skipped after felling Solon.

Also the Flame Emperor is looking a bit like a screwup at this point.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I think a line of dialogue was skipped after felling Solon.

Indeed it was. Whoops. I'll fix that in a bit, since I have other things to attend to right now.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
This map isn't all that hard but if you didn't train a flier saving all the villagers would be a real pain. Actually I'm not sure it would be possible, unless you kept healing them with Physic users and rushed the boss.

Crescent Sickles might not be all that useful (too heavy) but they look cool when wielded by my Dark Knights and that's what really matters.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

You mean to say that the mysterious voice living in our head, who takes design cues from all the Dragon Goddesses in previous Fire Emblems, shares a name with the creator Goddess of Fodlan? *gasp*

It's honestly kinda weird how Remire Village works in the story. I feel like since you never really go back there after the prologue (and within the story that was about 8 months ago now) the "we owe these folks a lot" angle Jeralt tries to sell falls flat, but escalating into magic zombie territory is a pretty extreme step. Although the reveal that Tomas was some sort of clearly-not-entirely-human entity at least gives it an air of "oh god there is so much we don't know" which helps.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chocolate Bunny posted:

This map isn't all that hard but if you didn't train a flier saving all the villagers would be a real pain. Actually I'm not sure it would be possible, unless you kept healing them with Physic users and rushed the boss.

Crescent Sickles might not be all that useful (too heavy) but they look cool when wielded by my Dark Knights and that's what really matters.

Eh, even then the bosses honor guard hates the villager in solon's corner with a passion and will happily grind him to paste from full hp.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah Crescent Sickles are extremely #aesthetic, don't dump on them so much :ohdear:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Alxprit posted:

Yeah Crescent Sickles are extremely #aesthetic, don't dump on them so much :ohdear:

I remember them having pretty good Crit? Or is that just because my Sylvain, who used them, was very Skill blessed?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

I remember them having pretty good Crit? Or is that just because my Sylvain, who used them, was very Skill blessed?

Crescent Sickles have 0 Crit, Crescent Sickle+s have 10 Crit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

I seem to remember them having a good crit rate as well but that might have been from upgrading them.

Edit: Beaten by the op. Anyway there is some worth to them on longer maps against a lot of fast opponents.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

They look cool.

On Hard that's all you need, really.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Crescent Sickles have 0 Crit, Crescent Sickle+s have 10 Crit.

Ahh. Well, they look cool. Fun fact-despite being classified as lances, they use axe animations.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
They have a combination of good power and a ton of uses.

They are great for weapon arts.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

#aesthetic is a powerful aspect of any weapon outside of Maddening.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Like Clockwork posted:

#aesthetic is a powerful aspect of any weapon outside of Maddening.

#fashionSouls
(#fashionEmblem)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

CmdrKing posted:

You mean to say that the mysterious voice living in our head, who takes design cues from all the Dragon Goddesses in previous Fire Emblems, shares a name with the creator Goddess of Fodlan? *gasp*

Mysterious voice who can rewind time. If this was intended as huge reveal, it was not done well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Mysterious voice who can rewind time. If this was intended as huge reveal, it was not done well.

I think it was not intended as a huge reveal for us players. Even if this is your first FE, Sothis is so blatantly a big deal that most people should be able to call this.

For Byleth/Abby, though? "Hold on a sec I've got the amnesiac Goddess in my head"? That's a bombshell and an half right there. Blatantly supernatural mysterious voice is one thing, but if you or me had one in our head, after somehow confirming we didn't go insane our first thought would not be "God".
E: especially because Sothis herself is surprised. The question shifts from "who is Sothis" to "why is the Goddess inside a random murderhobo's head without memories".

By the way, how is the Divine Pulse called in Japanese?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Speaking of, this seems like where you'd put the Sothis paralogue in a game that wasn't built around a calendar system. 'Well that's... strange. We should figure this out.' But of course, since the paralogue CAN take place before this map, you can't necessarily answer anything substantive in it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Omobono posted:

By the way, how is the Divine Pulse called in Japanese?
天刻の拍動. It means the same thing, but the characters in 「天刻」 are "heaven" and in this context "time". I don't think it's an especially cromulent word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FractalSandwich posted:

天刻の拍動. It means the same thing, but the characters in 「天刻」 are "heaven" and in this context "time". I don't think it's an especially cromulent word.

Thanks.
I'm going on a limb and say that if Sothis' power is called out as divine intervention in its name (bonus points for the heaven/time double reading) then this reveal wasn't really meant to be a surprise for us players.