Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

I wish Pat and Woolie made new friends to hang out/podcast with.

IRONIC GENIE: granted.

[Woolie begins a regular podcast with Minh]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Though I kinda hate thinking about it, I would not be surprised if down the line Matt, Woolie, and Liam decide to reform Super Best Friends Play without Pat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Though I kinda hate thinking about it, I would not be surprised if down the line Matt, Woolie, and Liam decide to reform Super Best Friends Play without Pat.

God this would rule the absolute hardest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Neo_Crimson posted:

Cryme Tyme: The Hustle Never Stops

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bonaventure posted:

IRONIC GENIE: granted.

[Woolie begins a regular podcast with Minh]

I've started watching some of Woolie's LPs and I hate to say it but I don't think Minh brings much to the table.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah not all that hot on Minh for the most part, he gets fun highlights once in a while but outside of that eh, Reggie though is a good dude and I like his back and forth with Woolie.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vandar posted:

I've been rewatching their DS3 playthrough, and while I still think they have great chemistry together, holy poo poo there's some moments that in hindsight you can just feel the break-up starting to form.

The thing with Pat 'getting huge' in that playthrough probably caused a lot of behind the scene problems. It was one of the least 'professional' things that happened on that channel and as much as it became an ongoing joke it really negatively impacted what should have been one of their biggest playthroughs going.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

People trying to spin anyone who got annoyed by that as another "Ugh, DARK SOULS PEOPLE amirite" thing got tired super fast too, like man sorry that it's not all that fun to watch Pat autopilot one shot a bunch of the game from greatly overleveling, while intentionally using specific farmed weapons that broke a lot of the game on their own, while also playing ahead of the LP and giving it away a bunch of times. Still remember people getting super standoffish like "UGH, you just wanna see them die a billion times!" when no, it'd just be cool to not have 99% of the difficulty and cool tough fight bits of the game sucked out, which also gave the commentary nothing to talk about the game on for a lot of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat is the literal anti-thesis of finishing an LP which made their brand strong. He abandons everything so badly on his stream.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tae posted:

Pat is the literal anti-thesis of finishing an LP which made their brand strong. He abandons everything so badly on his stream.

actually, doing 15 minute videos where they barely touch the game at all made their brand strong. but i see your point

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe I'm just out of touch but I tried watching a few of Pat's solo streams, where he poorly plays bad games in near-silence save for saying "bitch" every thirty seconds, and I have no idea how he spun that into a full-time job.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Tae posted:

You can easily point to Pat being the reason why the channel never reached the heights of their fellow youtubers, when you hear stories that every idea forward was either by Woolie or Matt.

haha wat? Pat was/is the most popular member of the group and he was down for whatever the rest of them suggested, especially in the beginning.
The reason they never got "big" were:

1 they refused to follow trends or chase what was popular
2 they didn't do click-bait bullshit

Don't romanticize big youtube channels, they quickly become obsessed with their view count and the content suffers. SBFP was great because it never cared about that. I was a bunch of weirdos playing video games, and they managed to just keep on doing that far longer than anyone else managed.

Yardbomb posted:

People trying to spin anyone who got annoyed by that as another "Ugh, DARK SOULS PEOPLE amirite" thing got tired super fast too, like man sorry that it's not all that fun to watch Pat autopilot one shot a bunch of the game from greatly overleveling, while intentionally using specific farmed weapons that broke a lot of the game on their own, while also playing ahead of the LP and giving it away a bunch of times. Still remember people getting super standoffish like "UGH, you just wanna see them die a billion times!" when no, it'd just be cool to not have 99% of the difficulty and cool tough fight bits of the game sucked out, which also gave the commentary nothing to talk about the game on for a lot of it.

This was all of their LP's though. The fans were never happy with how they played. Even when they knew what their were doing.

Some serious ant-Pat revisionism going on here.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are we just gonna ignore that Matt got like 50% of the money from the channel while doing less than 20% of the work at the end?

It weren't Pat's fault the channel died. That's horseshit. Like everything else it was a group effort.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 26, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Shin Super Best Friends

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hellbunny posted:

This was all of their LP's though. The fans were never happy with how they played. Even when they knew what their were doing.

No, that playthrough stood out as egregious. Pat deliberately 'broke' one of their biggest LPs of the year by being a selfish idiot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No, that playthrough stood out as egregious. Pat deliberately 'broke' one of their biggest LPs of the year by being a selfish idiot.

He didn't even break it. Even with his being huge, he still gets caught in obvious traps and gets his rear end kicked and dies a bunch.

The problem with the LP is his insisting on lore facts that are incredibly obviously wrong and Matt ends up calling him out at one point on it. Even ignoring that, you can tell Matt doesn't want to be there for much of the LP, and the other two are constantly talking over him during the whole thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hellbunny posted:

Not really, people griped about dumb things or got vocal sometimes when they were being super thick, but most of the time they weren't doing "bad" things intentionally even if it was grueling to watch at times, they weren't being continually douchey about the things and almost any gripe passed soon enough because it was whatever and the game would usually move past it, DS3 got shitted up most of the way through by Pat being stupid and then trying to be purposefully antagonistic after getting mostly valid-ly dumped on, coincidentally that kind of thing is something I don't like in people much anyway, which has always added to my not great reception of Pat.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 26, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe I'm just out of touch but I tried watching a few of Pat's solo streams, where he poorly plays bad games in near-silence save for saying "bitch" every thirty seconds, and I have no idea how he spun that into a full-time job.

it was a lot better when paige would be on most streams and they'd bicker and mock each other most of the time, but she's apparently been particularly unwell lately and also is moving back to the US so hasn't been on much.

but yeah, his solo streams used to be a lot better, I've kinda fallen off them mostly though, he almost seems to be falling into a rut with them, just a holding pattern sorta

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hellbunny posted:

Are we just gonna ignore that Matt got like 50% of the money from the channel while doing less than 20% of the work at the end?

Is there any proof of this other than that 4chan post?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is there any proof of this other than that 4chan post?

Not that I have ever seen.

Taking 4chan information seriously for something like this is the absolute height of naivete.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Has Woolie done anything with Matt and Liam since the breakup? I'm not sure why they'd reform with Woolie but without Pat as Pat seems to be the only one that Woolie still does things with.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Woolie did that huge Automata LP with Liam, that was post-breakup right?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Oh yeah I think that was actually very shortly after the breakup. I'm surprised I'd forgotten about that, I liked it a lot.

Liam is extremely strong when he has someone else to bounce off of. He's alright without but just not the kind of content I can get into consistently.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I listened to the MGSV LP recently, and while it's not as obvious as the Pat/Matt tension in retrospect it's surprisingly obvious that Liam didn't particularly like Pat- there were a few episodes in a row (I suspect it was one recording session) where Liam straight-up refused to talk to Pat- he basically just narrated what he was doing without engaging with Pat or responding to anything he said for long periods.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm legit enjoying Matt's stuff post breakup and I'm glad he's found his passion again. Pat's stuff has been incredibly boring

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I really wish Woolie would just open a patreon because I think that would knock a lot of anxiety off his shoulders so he could just operate in a better state. I really need to dive into more Matt and Liam content and I just haven’t because of time constraints. I dunno, I feel like Woolie really is kinda stuck in what he thinks is comfortable but that’s weird personal speculation. I like woolie content a whole lot and he’s my fav of the 4.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish that Woolie could make more quality content, in the sense that he could be given extra time to work on all of the projects he wants to work one. The best consolation prize would be if he could start up a new Zaibatsu, where he could delegate tasks to other cool friends/personalities and be able to pay them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah the only really great LPs on Woolie's channel have been with Liam, Pat, or Super Eyepatch Wolf. Liam's too busy to do much these days with going back to school and all, Pat doesn't actually want to do LPs anymore, and Eyepatch lives in loving Ireland so none of those are viable long-term things.

Minh and Reggie are good people I'm sure they're just not uhhh let's say "on-air personalities".

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

NGL, Woolie starting the “Zaibatsu Network” as a way to build up talent would be a cool idea. Or just create an open field for one shots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Some hero apparently saved all their Machinima videos and uploaded them onto their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/omega1397/playlists

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Pat is the best and funniest member and like half of you are still just mad at his girlfriend

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
thanks for another normal post

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Do you just like to come and say something really loving stupid?

Shut up Mel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shindragon posted:

Do you just like to come and say something really loving stupid?

Shut up Mel.

I don't think you are stupid for having a different sense of humor from me so I dont see why you think I am stupid.

To me, Pat is absolutely the funniest

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think you are stupid for having a different sense of humor from me so I dont see why you think I am stupid.

hint: it was the second part of the post

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nearly every time the thread gets riled up about Pat it turns to Paige quick enough

Just calling it like I see it

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
nobody brought up paige at all except to say pat's streams were funnier when she was there, i think you are just still mad about getting yelled at for defending her before, just calling it how i see it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paige will generally come up in a conversation about Pat because they live in the same house, are frequently on each other's streams and also do said streams on the same couch.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel exactly the same about Pat, to the point where if he left the podcast I probably would unsubscribe immediately.

However to say that Paige doesn't deserve criticism for being pals with Nazis absolutely deserves scorn. "If there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

umalt posted:

I feel exactly the same about Pat, to the point where if he left the podcast I probably would unsubscribe immediately.

Yeah, like Pat has this nice sort of self deprecating nihilistic humor I dig.

I probably would get along with Matt and Liam better as people but their comedy is just awful to me. And hey, I am never gonna know them as people, only as comedy for my face holes so the angry ginger goblin wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nearly every time the thread gets riled up about Pat it turns to Paige quick enough

Just calling it like I see it

You're the only person in pages that mentioned her except someone saying his streams are better with her on them. Shut the gently caress up you weirdo