Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Vanilla -> Zangband -> Hengband -> Chengband -> PosChengband -> Composband -> FrogComposband is I think the "direct" lineage, but yeah, there's also a ton of cross-pollination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

cthangband's in there somewhere I think, sanity blasting me for detecting monsters i've killed 5000 times already

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You may be right. Cthangband branched off of Zangband, but I don't know if Hengband came from Cthangband or just stole from it. Zangband already had a bunch of Cthulhu mythos stuff, but I don't think it had sanity blasting.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Angband's lineage is the roguelike equivalent of Charles II's.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Tangential in that it is designed to entice folks using Aspects that are susceptible to X-COM, Battle Brothers, etc, but this crazy thing has now arrived at proper Early Access after doing the whole mass Discord pre-EA Demo thing that is apparently the style nowadays:

https://madsheepstudios.itch.io/urtuk-the-desolation

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Tangential in that it is designed to entice folks using Aspects that are susceptible to X-COM, Battle Brothers, etc, but this crazy thing has now arrived at proper Early Access after doing the whole mass Discord pre-EA Demo thing that is apparently the style nowadays:

Wowie, those hexes and map are pretty pretty. The character design is ok, I'm personally a super non-fan of the skinny leg indie style, but that's what The Kids these days like so oh well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's better than the no leg battle brothers style

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
where the ladies at

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Don't forget Kerrangband, which forked from Poschengband by adding guitar controller support.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pumpinglemma posted:

Don't forget Kerrangband, which forked from Poschengband by adding guitar controller support.
thingstheworlddoesntneed.txt

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

I actually had to google this to tell if you were joking.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
:toot: I dropped a new patch for Dungeonmans today, first time in... 11 months? Yikes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1656688677562422085

The Halloween content is live until 3 November. If you don't have the game but want to play it, you can probably wait a week until it's on sale for 5 bucks, but Gaben and I will happily split your $15 if you're feeling it.

Most of the patch is bug fixes, but there's some minor updates to the Halloween content for people who've played it a bunch: new combat rhymes for the Horseless Headmans and some new Festive Masks, some of which have Tangledeep characters.

Something not in the patch notes: Over the summer I started a system for leveling up legendary weapons and have been toying with it. Killing AKs gives you a point of renown on each legendary you're wearing, when you get to, I dunno, 10? spend them and the weapon goes up in star rank / damage (for that one extra enchant!) and also gets your choice of a renown-only enchant that can stack as you level them up. A bit grindy, maybe, but good for players who have a weapon they really like and keep pushing into high rank Adventure Maps.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
DG made it prior to the end of the month at that for ToME's big v1.6~

https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2019/10/news/tales-majeyal-16-late-delivery-avalon-released

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

God, is there any way to read about the actual changes made to classes, etc.? That stuff is like crack to me, I love reading changelogs.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Unfortunately no. If you have the patience you could look at the git merges at https://git.net-core.org/tome/t-engine4 but that's a lot of effort. I'd type them up but no proper internet for a couple weeks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Once again I am trying to beat Sil!

I tried and bounced off trying to maximize Strength for those extra dice sides for the damage dice, but I'm finding a loosely stealth/accuracy variant is mowing through orcs and birds much faster and allowing me to pick fights, just by virtue of dex being the main accuracy mod and getting hits in.

I know that this type of play probably... has a ceiling as monsters get more and more numbers and I'm forced to use armour that makes me louder and reduces my accuracy. But what can I do or how should I weigh the benefits of stealth and accuracy against the need to kill mobs on occasion or named bosses?

If you need an idea about where I'm at, I understand some of the basic movement skills and can usually hit 250-300. However, I tend to be murdered around my 2nd or 3rd named character or against easterlings.

I'm usually trying to hit 4 dex and 4 con 2 str 3 grace, and pick up evasion and melee skills.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Toalpaz posted:

Once again I am trying to beat Sil!

I tried and bounced off trying to maximize Strength for those extra dice sides for the damage dice, but I'm finding a loosely stealth/accuracy variant is mowing through orcs and birds much faster and allowing me to pick fights, just by virtue of dex being the main accuracy mod and getting hits in.

I know that this type of play probably... has a ceiling as monsters get more and more numbers and I'm forced to use armour that makes me louder and reduces my accuracy. But what can I do or how should I weigh the benefits of stealth and accuracy against the need to kill mobs on occasion or named bosses?

If you need an idea about where I'm at, I understand some of the basic movement skills and can usually hit 250-300. However, I tend to be murdered around my 2nd or 3rd named character or against easterlings.

I'm usually trying to hit 4 dex and 4 con 2 str 3 grace, and pick up evasion and melee skills.

Heyo! I've not played Sil in ages, nor did I ever approve of Sil-Q, but my modus operandi largely mimicked debo's very outdated guide on how to consistently break 400'+.

Default elf, 3 pts in str, a few extra in con, rest in agi and token in grace. I think it comes out to be 3353? Sorry been a while. Early game dungeon is all about strapping something, anything! to your naked body. Don't invest in anything but melee/evasion for a while (the intermediary goal is 10/10). That means no skill purchases.
...With the notable exception (for this example) of getting about ~9-10 (?? I THINK) in smithing, armoursmith, and artistry. At 100', after clearing the level, buy the smithing stuff and forge double-fine leather armour, shield, and something else good. Or take enchanting and get shields of deflection plus other stuff. The idea is that lightweight armours are absolute best value, and crafting ++ versions of them gives you a huge edge on the acc/ev race all the way through midgame. Seriously, I've ascended with a +2 deflection round shield, they're solid. Don't invest more in smithing, it's a bit of a trap.
The first 200' is just raising acc/ev to 10/10 while filling equipment slots. (For the purpose of a sword-type, that is). Skip 250'. Seriously, just dive it. Its the native depth of both orc archers and Violet molds, and while the latter no longer exists, dealing with infinite archer spawns is profitless, not to mention bad for your sanity, and aggravated players make mistakes. You can commit to power/finesse after 10/10, blocking is very good v archers, and just learn about the ID minigame and various monster types as you die to them. That really should get you down to about 400' consistently. The next big hurdle is knowing when to emergency-fill out odd resistances, building a huge light radius for the stacked shadow monsters that frequent around 600', and more importantly finally commiting to a "schtick" since the xp requirements to keep in the acc/ev race become prohibitive. I personally was fond of Zone of Control/Opportunist/Flanking/Dodging, and punishing the AI's tendency to try to flank you. But that's much later.

-Str seems precious early, but usually you'll have more than enough of it later as Str items drop but your Str needs never really grow. Con is the lategame "can't have enough" stat for melee guys.
-I generally was very light on Stealth other than the xp dump needed to buy opportunist (iirc its 3600xp, strange what you remember...). Most stealth builds iirc where stronger late, but tended to die a lot trying to get there.
-Named bosses at 300' or under can generally be man-fought in a corridor. Use consumables earlier rather than later; murky brown potions are always orcish liquor (minor healing and Willpower save v stun). If Easterling Warriors are giving you grief, you're either getting caught fighting out in the open too much (getting more light radius is a QoL that helps greatly with that) or just haven't been raising your base stats enough.
-Speaking of saves; I put 2 pts in Perception and Willpower very early (it's so cheap!) then don't touch the skills until later.

Does that help?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Yeah thanks a lot, those are some interesting ideas and fairly different from what I've seen online before!

All the beginner stuff I've seen online involve evasion, dodging, and attacks of opportunity and kiting enemies hahaha, and a lot of them warn to stay away from smithing for a while. But I think that's some interesting perspective and I'll try and incorporate that. Thanks a lot!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, again, please note that the advice is aimed at Sil, not Sil-Q which may have changed things dramatically since I last looked at it.

Derail: The original idea of smithing, trading xp for gear, is solid, with a few other interesting design goals from the devs such as "High level smiths can create OP artifacts on the scale of (or better than!) fixed artifacts". It unfortunately had a history of terrible balance, with real utility from minimal investment (eg making arrows), and super great OP stuff later, but this huge slump for midrange smithing values where everything was no better than good drops from the ground. Massive U-Shaped power curve, turning it into a total newbie trap.

So! The idea with what I posted is to turn a small amount of xp (just above the bare minimum) into guaranteed solid items at a time when you're still half naked. And then never look at smithing ever again. Its forward-loaded into getting you past the early floors into the exciting deaths. Investing xp into powers early on is strongly not recommended, as nothing's quite a good as a blanket +1 acc/ev. And again, this is normal Sil, not Sil-Q.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

John Lee posted:

God, is there any way to read about the actual changes made to classes, etc.? That stuff is like crack to me, I love reading changelogs.

You could try comparing things between versions on https://tometips.github.io/ ? It’s not perfect but hey.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

...I'll still do it, though, thanks.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Some of the biggest changes in ToME 1.6, in no particular order:

--AI is smarter. They'll hit you with debilitating effects that you're vulnerable to, heal or try to escape when they're low on HP, and generally act in a pretty logical manner. Can be annoying sometimes, but by following logic they're ultimately more predictable which opens up counterplay options.
--Antimagic and infusions are generally nerfed, runes are generally buffed (and Shatter Afflictions runes have been introduced, which are effing fantastic).
--Vim as a resource is less annoying (e.g. Bloodcasting is an innate property).
--Stun as a debuff only slows the rate of cooldown ticking rather than halt it entirely.
--DoT effects that can stack upon themselves will fade on a per-application basis rather than stack infinitely. For example, if you're standing in a mucus pool that does 10 dmg/turn for 5 turns, it will never stack beyond 50 damage per turn.
--Lots of individual class changes, which is where Tometips will come in handy.
--More stuff I'm definitely forgetting.

Overall a lot of really good changes IMO. The AI has some kinks to work out (e.g. every elf enemy I run into burns their Timeless racial on the first turn, which is... not ideal for them), and the DoT changes have the side effect of significantly nerfing the Cultist of Entropy class, which is unfortunate.

edit: Also, there's a small icon added to enemy sprites when they have the Counterstrike debuff. It makes playing a block-centric class far less tedious.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 27, 2019

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

So after like 5 years of playing ToME I finally figured out how to have a single button spam for melee builds. It was driving me crazy with easy encounters how it would force you to choose a target.

First off go to Game Options->Gameplay. Disable both Quick melee targeting and Quick melee targeting auto attack.

Now download Autohotkey, after it installs you have to create a blank text file "AutoHotkey.ahk" in your My Computer/Documents folder. Edit the file and paste this

code:
#IfWinActive Tales of Maj

~1::SendInput 234567890{Space}

#IfWinActive
Pressing "1" will cycle through all of your abilities from left to right, and use it on the nearest target.

So for a melee character just stick your gap closers up front then your best melee attacks, then auto attack. Obviously spamming this macro in the Orc Forts will get you killed fast but this makes early/mid game much more bearable.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

Pressing "1" will cycle through all of your abilities from left to right, and use it on the nearest target.
So for a melee character just stick your gap closers up front then your best melee attacks, then auto attack.
When people give me poo poo about Dungeonmans not having auto-explore, I will think of you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Numberwang!!! posted:

So after like 5 years of playing ToME I finally figured out how to have a single button spam for melee builds. It was driving me crazy with easy encounters how it would force you to choose a target.

First off go to Game Options->Gameplay. Disable both Quick melee targeting and Quick melee targeting auto attack.

Now download Autohotkey, after it installs you have to create a blank text file "AutoHotkey.ahk" in your My Computer/Documents folder. Edit the file and paste this

code:
#IfWinActive Tales of Maj

~1::SendInput 234567890{Space}

#IfWinActive

So for a melee character just stick your gap closers up front then your best melee attacks, then auto attack. Obviously spamming this macro in the Orc Forts will get you killed fast but this makes early/mid game much more bearable.

Why would I do this instead of playing different character/game?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Why would I do this instead of playing different character/game?

Cause you want to play a melee character in challenging late game content and skip past the early stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you're at the point where you're automating the game it's time to move up to a higher difficulty.

The Orc Prides aren't even the hard part of the game unless you've been making really weird gear / build decisions, it's pretty much the other way around.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They're mostly just super annoying since they're three times the size they need to be and packed to the gills with drakes and casters and similar obnoxious spammy asshats. Maybe if it randomly gave you two of them to do each game or something.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're at the point where you're automating the game it's time to move up to a higher difficulty.

The Orc Prides aren't even the hard part of the game unless you've been making really weird gear / build decisions, it's pretty much the other way around.

The tier-1/2 dungeons are tedious, but everything after it is good, peaking with dreadfell, then a lot of the stuff after it is almost a 'reward' for surviving that far, when you finally get the satisfaction of 'finishing' your build and getting the cool items, even if a lot of the challenge is gone and the zones are less interesting.

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.
Hey all! It's been a little while since I've dropped a new build of Auto Fire, but it's had some meaty improvements since the last time I posted, in the wake of all the feedback from Rogue Celebration a few weeks ago. I'm still paving the way for a longer content loop so there's plenty more to do, but if you like to drive around and blow things up, it's still where it's at. The in-development version is still on Itch through the Kickstarter in January: https://vertigames.itch.io/auto-fire/devlog/107061/auto-fire-v0607-to-progress

I'm all in on this, so more to come! New special move: The Stun Bootlegger

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=50083
More detailed patch notes for TOME 1.6.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

The tier-1/2 dungeons are tedious, but everything after it is good, peaking with dreadfell, then a lot of the stuff after it is almost a 'reward' for surviving that far, when you finally get the satisfaction of 'finishing' your build and getting the cool items, even if a lot of the challenge is gone and the zones are less interesting.
was there talk about DG streamlining/shortening the campaign a bit after finishing 1.6 or did I imagine that

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
ferret also brings the Holiday Adjacent Bounty with a nice update to Demon: https://ferretdev.itch.io/demon

quote:

Revamped Relic Upgrade system: Relic Upgrades now are purchased using Upgrade points rather than the previous one-size-fits-all approach. Most upgrades cost between 5-15 points, and summoners gain 1 Upgrade point per level.
Two new starter demons have been added: the Familiar, which uses ranged magic attacks, and the Tulpa, which applies accuracy debuffs to enemies. Both share the Homunculi's ability to heal the summoner's HP and SP.
The starting Upgrades for the Titan's Fist Relic have been significantly changed: the Titan's Fist's Upgrades are now oriented towards a no or low summoning playstyle, with Aux Guard III and Aux Power III providing great power to summoners who have less than 3 allies summoned (the fewer the better!)
Also includes some small quality of life improvements to UI, including Consume automatically being activated when available and when it makes sense to do so.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Razakai posted:

http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=50083
More detailed patch notes for TOME 1.6.

Thanks for doing this. I never would have noticed that the XP penalties for Dwarves, Thaloren and Higher were removed.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I haven't seen this much brown since Quake 1.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I could've believed that this game was made by the same guys who made Darkest Dungeon, the art style is so similar.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The art style is, to the best of my knowledge, created/popularized by Mike Mignolia and his Hellboy graphic novels. He only did a few of them but they took off like wildfire, with the vast majority of the series being guest writers and guest artists who can decently ape his style. (If someone knows of antecedents who would have inspired a young Mike please do tell.) The deep-shadow eldritch horror noir stuff has since been seen everywhere, it's great. If terribly unoriginal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, interesting. I'm really not into comics, so I haven't run into that before, but I can see the similarity even at a glance. All those dark, inky blacks and sheets of solid color. It does look great and atmospheric. One case where I really can't complain about unoriginality, it's for the better.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

there is in fact Quite a lot of Hellboy comics and Mignolia has been drawing for quite some time like himself before that
All good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm incredibly late to the Dead Cells train and I usually hate metroidvanias but drat this game is great (and on Xbox Game Pass so I'm playing it for free since I beat The Outer Worlds in way less than the free month I got etc)

The settings explicitly say they recommend a controller - would it be that much better on Switch?