Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the focuses are hysterically messed up and that's a fact. i've always loved that war focus is best used as a peacetime focus to prepare for a war by beefing yourself up and dueling critical characters to weaken or off them before you go on the warpath. once the war itself breaks out you are much better served by going Business and fishing for money events so you can hire mercs if things go wrong, or anything that will keep you healthy so you don't have a succession in the middle of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've never been bothered with Christians and Muslims not having a martial society because overall they're so entrenched that martial societies feel more like something Pagans get so they can at least fight back when all of Europe declares Holy War on them.

(At least for the base game. I have suggested adding the YMCA to After The End on the PDX forum.)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

the only actually strong part of warrior lodges is unlimited instant levee refills

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it refills your garrison, not your levee, which is a subtle but important distinction.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Coolguye posted:

it refills your garrison, not your levee, which is a subtle but important distinction.

that’s the castle army innit. think your unraized levvy is called someth else

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that’s the castle army innit. think your unraized levvy is called someth else

yeah, it's called your levy. :p

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main benefit to warrior lodges is the immunity to death in combat while leading armies. No more having your strong genius 30 year old ruler somehow take an arrow to the face and die when putting down a peasant revolt.

Although I think you can still get bumped on the head and end up incapable, though.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The Romuva lodge has a thing where you can spend renown to get free hillforts and fortifications in your tribal holdings, that ones pretty good.

Also, the lodge thing that makes you capture more prisoners is crucial for tribals, since ransom is a significant source of money for them

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main benefit to warrior lodges is the immunity to death in combat while leading armies. No more having your strong genius 30 year old ruler somehow take an arrow to the face and die when putting down a peasant revolt.

Although I think you can still get bumped on the head and end up incapable, though.

Yep, that's 99% of the reason I join it

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I hope it'll be possible to have a John I style regency where the realm waits for their monarch to be born.

If you have agnatic or enatic laws it could even lead to a suspenseful countdown at the birthing chamber.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why would you have your ruler leading armies though? Even as a pagan it seems risky.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Why would you have your ruler leading armies though? Even as a pagan it seems risky.

because your ruler might be a really good commander?

life's too short to keep your ruler in the back

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

because your ruler might be a really good commander?

life's too short to keep your ruler in the back

depends on circumstances and what the succession situation is like

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As a pagan early on I want every edge I can get, also it's cool. But I tend to keep my rulers back once I feel safe and don't have the need to make sure every ruler I have is martial.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Complications posted:

depends on circumstances and what the succession situation is like

well yeah obviously

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

never not lead from the front

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Red_Fred posted:

Because I'm not a gigantic loving coward?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

goon cowardice knows no bounds, not even willing to risk their precious pixels in pursuit of glory

shameful

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

So I randomly fired up the game for the first time since Holy Fury was released and see they added mini campaigns for CK3 beards. It was a lot of fun to do a mini campaign like that.

Any idea when the next one releases?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No idea when the next one will come, but if you don't wanna wait, I'll point you to the CK2 interesting characters guide, where all the yellow names are the old Game of the Week challenges that the Paradox forums used to run. They're neat challenges for you to try. Go try the challenges of yesteryear.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

So I randomly fired up the game for the first time since Holy Fury was released and see they added mini campaigns for CK3 beards. It was a lot of fun to do a mini campaign like that.

Any idea when the next one releases?

devs said it'll change to a new challenge bi-weekly (once per two weeks, not twice per week)

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Brother Entropy posted:

devs said it'll change to a new challenge bi-weekly (once per two weeks, not twice per week)

Ohh, that explains a lot, I was wondering what why it was still Konan. I hear 'bi-weekly' I think twice a week, rather than fortnightly which is the reality.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

If you have a ridiculously OP ruler, you can tear through a lot of other armies with the morale buff and dueling events.
If you have a pretty wimpy ruler, you can buff him up by putting him in photo op type battles you couldn't possibly lose for prestige and military traits.
If your heir is coming of age and your ruler is past his prime, you can clear the way for him by going full tyrant on your rivals and vassals then sending him off into war without hope of return. They'll all dislike the new guy because his dad was a dick, but it gets the dirty work done and biggest threats eliminated quickly. Better than lying old and retarded for a half a decade of regency, while half assed powers prevent you from stopping plots and you watch the fuckers role back all your powers.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah warrior lodges make your ruler incredibly strong leading armies, to the point where you can beat some quite stacked odds. At its highest level you can even just stream reinforcements into your army (If I understood the ability correctly).

Building your legend when you're at the highest level also lets you establish a bloodline if you handle it properly, which is incredibly powerful.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

This.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ninjahedgehog posted:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hate the immortality chain. It's such a loving cocktease.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Imagine how your ruler felt.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why even be a pagan if you're not gonna be leading armies yourself?

The warrior lodge gives you a leadership thing for a reason, and there's no real reason to not constantly be in a warrior lodge.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Carcer posted:

Building your legend when you're at the highest level also lets you establish a bloodline if you handle it properly, which is incredibly powerful.

that quest line at the end is crazy deadly even at 150+ combat

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
game needs more high risk/high reward questlines, imo

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Randaconda posted:

game needs more high risk/high reward questlines, imo

Yes, every game needs more motivation to save scum. :jerkbag:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont posted:

Not everybody plays like a baby, bro. Save scumming is for cowards. Hardcore is the only way to play

wit
Jul 26, 2011

ulmont posted:

I'm fine with quests like declare war on the excommunicated to have the pope do my dude's coronation. But this is every text quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyYg_bfrlw.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Now be Bon and remove those injuries with a level 1 lodge power (though iirc incapable is not one of them, but stuff up to maimed is aok)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that quest line at the end is crazy deadly even at 150+ combat

Oh so this was actually sort of impressive then?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Doing the Brittany challenge.

Was heavily occupied with revoke plots and imprisonments and regular old revolts from the results of revoke plots et etc. Look up to see what happened with England...

William is a Duke of Norway and owns all of the Engway btw. Looks like William won his war first, but Magnus managed to win his half a year later, and then the whole thing got split on inheritance (Norway is Elective for some reason while England is Primo). Not sure why William got assigned under the Norway title though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Carcer posted:

Oh so this was actually sort of impressive then?

bear is one of the easier boss fights imo. I usually get merked on the guy who ambushed you while camping.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

My only problem with the challenge was that I just wanted to get it done with, and it wasn't super clear which counties I needed because the names of the counties on the map are different from the names of the counties on the challenge description.

And then after I made sure I had all the counties I needed using the table with the different cultural names, I figured out I wasn't getting credit for one because some rear end in a top hat in England owned a barony, but that's an annoyance almost as old as the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any ways I’m missing to increase vassal limit as a MR? At lowest centralization, out of Kingdoms to give away, and would rather not empower the council