Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lol those ARE meta options, dipshit

You are a really bad poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
MCQ day 2 metagame is something like 63% Oko:

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1188294950385045504

e: Of 102 decklists, 67 are running 4 Oko and one more is running 2. So that's 68 of 102 decks with Oko. 66%.

e: 130 main deck Noxious Grasp.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 27, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

You are a really bad poster.

Says a really bad poster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Says a really bad poster

please just take the l and move on dude

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

please just take the l and move on dude

I'm not "taking the L" on listing a bunch of ways to deal with Oko. The meta you're looking for is "put some of these cards in your deck"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The folks whose entire life is magic the gathering are just missing all the ways to defeat oko. They just need to play the cards the defeat oko.

:sad:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

I'm not "taking the L" on listing a bunch of ways to deal with Oko. The meta you're looking for is "put some of these cards in your deck"

either post a decklist or shut up

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

either post a decklist or shut up

4x Sorcerous Spyglass
56×other cards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

The folks whose entire life is magic the gathering are just missing all the ways to defeat oko. They just need to play the cards the defeat oko.

:sad:

if you have 4x murderous rider in your deck, and your opponent has 4 okos, it's impossible for them to win. it's just simple math

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

4x Sorcerous Spyglass
56×other cards

drat i really hated you at first, but after your 100th glib response to other people's legitimate criticisms of the dumb rear end point your trying to make, i really respect you, Ate My Balls Redux. I think you're really smart and cool. Hell, everyone else in the thread respects you too. Since you've won the arguement, there's no more reason for you to try and support it any further. feel free to cease posting about it, or at all

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

drat i really hated you at first, but after your 100th glib response to other people's legitimate criticisms of the dumb rear end point your trying to make, i really respect you, Ate My Balls Redux. I think you're really smart and cool.

Thanks!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ungulateman posted:

as much as he's the obnoxious, smug face of standard, oko isn't doing it alone

This. The green threats are just ridiculous right now, creatures with etb fight options, keyword salad threats, creatures that have haste, and multiple x spell creatures with a walker that has a passive that doubles mana for all your forests... it’s pretty gross, especially when Oko drops on turn 2 on the play, and it just snowballs from there. Oh and then post sideboard green effectively has a one mana can trip that gives everything they control hexproof from removal that outright destroys their threats or targeted bounce, wtf?

The answer to the question at the end of the Arena Decklist podcast this week (related around people giving play design poo poo for how bad standard is right now) kinda pointed to someone above the team pushing through Oko in its current form because with all the people on that team there is no chance in hell that they could’ve missed the card’s power level being so high. My guess is that someone wanted a high powered mythic that would move packs.

Also, WOTC shot themselves in the foot with a standard banning and then immediately announcing a new format - it seemed like all the people that are usually building up interesting standard lists were squarely focused on pioneer and sort of resigned themselves to just playing Simic at the Arena MCQ.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

venutolo posted:

e: Of 102 decklists, 67 are running 4 Oko and one more is running 2. So that's 68 of 102 decks with Oko. 66%

That’s legit worse than Caw Blade levels of dominance, let alone Ravager Affinity

Affinity was a deck where you either played it, played a silver bullet against it at the cost of all your other matchups, or played another deck that loses to Affinity but would at least have a good chance against everyone else dumb enough to not play Affinity.
Caw Blade was a deck where you played it, played a variety of it tuned to curbstomp the regular versions of Caw Blade at the cost of relatively weaker matchups against other decks, played Splinter Twin since it could actually sometimes win if you got lucky against Caw Blade, or stay at home and wonder why JtMS is 200$+ per copy and cry about standard deck prices for incredibly good reason.
I don’t think there legit is any reason to use any deck that isn’t UG as it stands right now; no amount of silver bullets is going to stop a 3 mana planeswalker that pretty much just by existing renders any creature lacking immediate impact that costs more than 1 complete garbage from completely warping the format, especially when the color combination also has a cantrip that completely shuts down legit every single way to actually deal with him favorably, and the best card draw in standard.

When someone can unironically cut Black Lotus from a vintage deck to play another Oko and the immediate response is not being laughed out of the room for being completely insane, that is the kind of card for which an honest to god emergency ban might actually be warranted without drastic outrage.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 27, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
playing a threat rather than a black lotus is not actually that crazy in vintage. if the thing you're doing with lotus is just going to get pyroblasted anyway (which it often is, as he tweeted about) then playing another card that does something rather than a card that lets you get pyroblasted faster makes sense. lotus is only the best card in the game if you're immediately doing broken things with it, and 'casting narset on turn 1' is not the caliber of broken thing that meets that requirement. (casting narset on turn 1 is obviously still really good but it's not turn 1 lethal tendrils or whatever)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I never played Lotus in Terra Nova, even online where I owned one. It wasn't a deck that was trying to have a broken start. It was trying to slowly grind the opponent's options to dust. A one-time burst of mana doesn't help with that very much, especially after turn 1.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

venutolo posted:

e: Of 102 decklists, 67 are running 4 Oko and one more is running 2. So that's 68 of 102 decks with Oko. 66%.

Also all but 8 decks in day 2 are playing the color green so even if people aren’t running Oko, there is a pretty solid chance that they are running green cards. Yikes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

the Orb of Zot posted:

That’s legit worse than Caw Blade levels of dominance, let alone Ravager Affinity

Affinity was a deck where you either played it, played a silver bullet against it at the cost of all your other matchups, or played another deck that loses to Affinity but would at least have a good chance against everyone else dumb enough to not play Affinity.
Caw Blade was a deck where you played it, played a variety of it tuned to curbstomp the regular versions of Caw Blade at the cost of relatively weaker matchups against other decks, played Splinter Twin since it could actually sometimes win if you got lucky against Caw Blade, or stay at home and wonder why JtMS is 200$+ per copy and cry about standard deck prices for incredibly good reason invest in fetches and Goblin Guide.
I don’t think there legit is any reason to use any deck that isn’t UG as it stands right now; no amount of silver bullets is going to stop a 3 mana planeswalker that pretty much just by existing renders any creature lacking immediate impact that costs more than 1 complete garbage from completely warping the format, especially when the color combination also has a cantrip that completely shuts down legit every single way to actually deal with him favorably, and the best card draw in standard.

When someone can unironically cut Black Lotus from a vintage deck to play another Oko and the immediate response is not being laughed out of the room for being completely insane, that is the kind of card for which an honest to god emergency ban might actually be warranted without drastic outrage.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

venutolo posted:

Hell yeah Esper Danse player, fight that good fight

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

if you have 4x murderous rider in your deck, and your opponent has 4 okos, it's impossible for them to win. it's just simple math

Check this poo poo out - you Swift End the opponent's Goose or whatever, and play the Rider, and they Oko it into an Elk. Now the Rider lost the triggered ability that puts it on the bottom of the library when it dies, so you Blood for Bones it back to your hand! I solved Standard.

venutolo posted:

that's alarming btw, like truly bad news, because Oko and Goose are going to be in standard for a long long time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Check this poo poo out - you Swift End the opponent's Goose or whatever, and play the Rider, and they Oko it into an Elk. Now the Rider lost the triggered ability that puts it on the bottom of the library when it dies, so you Blood for Bones it back to your hand! I solved Standard.

Yeah they have dun hosed up.

Lets Spell Queller something, then turn it into an Elk. Then a couple turns later play 3Feri and bounce it. Lets do that forever

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah they have dun hosed up.

Lets Spell Queller something, then turn it into an Elk. Then a couple turns later play 3Feri and bounce it. Lets do that forever

Omfg :aaaaa:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Lgs is holding a free brawl event where they’re giving out promo packs to encourage the format. I threw together a simic ramp birthing pod-like deck using prime speaker vannifar as the commander. Mostly was trying to think of a good way to shoe horn in my single oko since I doubt I’ll ever have another to try in another format. P janky but hope it’ll be fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How dominant were other standard boogeymen of the day? Like how bad was caw blade?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yiggy posted:

Lgs is holding a free brawl event where they’re giving out promo packs to encourage the format. I threw together a simic ramp birthing pod-like deck using prime speaker vannifar as the commander. Mostly was trying to think of a good way to shoe horn in my single oko since I doubt I’ll ever have another to try in another format. P janky but hope it’ll be fun.

You should just use Oko as the commander. >_>

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

How dominant were other standard boogeymen of the day? Like how bad was caw blade?

Caw-blade was so good that actual Splinter Twin combo and Primeval Titan into Valakut were tier two decks.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Samael posted:

Late to the party but can you make pioneer murdergoats?

Yes.

I think that for starters your token generation is going to be better as well as your sac outlets, no disrespect to our friend Timmy.

Let me dig up the old list and try and pull up on this thread that suddenly cares how good standard is like they haven't been loving that football in the front yard at least once a year for the past several years because ???

Don't get me wrong the Oko vs Lotus debate is mad interesting but the shin pissing contest is def not...

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Wow, SCG Standard classic has 59 players. They did just ban the most played deck and maybe a lot of people couldn’t find something different to play but... Big yikes. I’ve played FNMs bigger than that

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

venutolo posted:

This is bad, but I'm not sure the cawblade comparison checks out. On arena its way easier to follow the meta and switch up decks than in cawblade's era. Also people in general are more attuned to the metagame generally. So I would expect more bandwagoning into whatever the top deck is. No shakeups till late January is gonna be pretty lol though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dehtraen posted:

59 players.
I’ve played FNMs bigger than that
Where? I live in a major metro and my FNMs cap out at like 40 if there's a huge promo happening.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
sitting here looking at all my aggro decks like :(

Oh well at least I can do my grumgully gruul brawl deck and not have to think like 70% of the time.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

AlternateNu posted:

You should just use Oko as the commander. >_>

I though planeswalkers had to have the line of commander text to be a commander?

Edit: read the rules again. I may try that.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not in Brawl

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Yiggy posted:

I though planeswalkers had to have the line of commander text to be a commander?

they're legal commanders in brawl

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Nothing quite like running into a local store owner with a Target cart full of brawl decks.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
sUpPoRt yOuR lGs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Caw-blade was hitting something like 35% of the field when it got banned, for the curious. Ravager affinity is harder to find numbers for since it was dominant way back in the days of yore, but as An Old who played competitively at that time, I recall it being ~half of top eights at most major events. 66% of the field being UGx Oko is a nearly unprecedented level of dominance. It's gotta go.

It's gotta goko

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PJOmega posted:

Nothing quite like running into a local store owner with a Target cart full of brawl decks.

Considering they were just as screwed by wotc as you were, I wouldn't be hard on them reselling those decks.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

ungulateman posted:

playing a threat rather than a black lotus is not actually that crazy in vintage. if the thing you're doing with lotus is just going to get pyroblasted anyway (which it often is, as he tweeted about) then playing another card that does something rather than a card that lets you get pyroblasted faster makes sense. lotus is only the best card in the game if you're immediately doing broken things with it, and 'casting narset on turn 1' is not the caliber of broken thing that meets that requirement. (casting narset on turn 1 is obviously still really good but it's not turn 1 lethal tendrils or whatever)

I agree with what you’re saying entirely and get the logic behind cutting it.
The point is that Oko is so powerful that you can make that argument to begin with.

If Oko makes it it the next B&R announcement for Standard before being banned I’ll be surprised.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Eh, it's a bit unreliable to trust the opponent to elk your guy, you should play your own Oko to take care of it.

This is getting color-intense, play Golden Goose for its ramp and fixing.

The only way to stop a bad guy with Sultai Food is a good guy with Sultai Food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

PJOmega posted:

Cool. Now you can buy them for $35-$40 from him.

My local stores were selling them for $40. So I used a 15% off coupon from Barnes and noble and got them for less then $20.