Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm still hoping for a TES one day that has 1 giant city a la Asscreed or The Witcher. And then a bunch of smaller villages here and there.

It would make it so much fun to play as a real thief. Because right now, after a short time burglarizing you've hit every house in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There's no interesting stuff to steal in Skyrim. Instead I used my thief skills to turn Whiterun into a town with a very relaxed dress code.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John F Bennett posted:

I'm still hoping for a TES one day that has 1 giant city a la Asscreed or The Witcher. And then a bunch of smaller villages here and there.

It would make it so much fun to play as a real thief. Because right now, after a short time burglarizing you've hit every house in town.

I never realized I wanted The Elder Scrolls: The Imperial City, but here we are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bony tony posted:

I never realized I wanted The Elder Scrolls: The Imperial City, but here we are.

Warren Spector's "One City Block", except it's "One huge-rear end city in Tamriel."

poisonpill posted:

There is no way to make eating and sleeping in a game interesting, or having any kind of penalty for not doing

I don't know, I think just adding it in lightly could add to the immersion without bogging the game down with tedium. Even if they did like New Vegas and only put it in via a 'hardcore' option.

EDIT: Or.... your vital stats are what they are, and that's that. But, if you DO regularly eat and sleep, they're just that much better. Beyond the well-rested status, everything that refills normally would refill faster. "I eat a balanced breakfast of sweet rolls and cheese wheels after getting 8-10 hours of sleep. That's why I'm a champion and one-shot Whiterun guards regularly."

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

They did add a survival mode to Skyrim. It was ok for roleplaying purposes mostly, otherwise it got tedious pretty fast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

They did add a survival mode to Skyrim. It was ok for roleplaying purposes mostly, otherwise it got tedious pretty fast.

They did? Is this in the special edition? I haven't played that yet (laptop wasn't good enough to run it).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Oh right, it was indeed added to the Special Edition.

Eating hot soup to get warm was a pretty cool detail though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Oh right, it was indeed added to the Special Edition.

Eating hot soup to get warm was a pretty cool detail though

Ah, I just looked it up and am reading about it now. Goddammit, the only console I own is the Switch, which I love, but why couldn't they add that to that version? :argh: I don't even care about not having access to the creation club, but like... that specific mode would, for me, greatly enhance the game.

EDIT: welp, I've never actually tried to install the special edition on my laptop, I just assumed it wouldn't work. Definitely going to try it now.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 18, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked the idea of survival mode but the values are hosed. I dont remember the exact numbers but after just a few in-game minutes you're hungry and even being at the first level of hungry/cold/etc is a huge penalty to even basic stuff like melee abilities.

It was way more forgiving in F4 though both games have that "this game was built around being able to fast travel and not having it fucks things up" feeling. Skyrim at least has carriages and boats but its still a noticeable oversight.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I would love a big open world that was just no fast travel by default so you were forced to really take your time and get a feel for the atmosphere of the various places you visited because you likely weren't coming back without a major time investment. Weirdly I think this is something early JRPGs got right - for at least the first part you're following a meandering path through the world that really encourages you to see all of a place before you move on, then you get the amazing feeling of freedom even you inevitably get an airship or whatever towards the end). I think combining that approach with the technical freedom of a wrpg could be very cool if done well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked the idea of survival mode but the values are hosed. I dont remember the exact numbers but after just a few in-game minutes you're hungry and even being at the first level of hungry/cold/etc is a huge penalty to even basic stuff like melee abilities.

It was way more forgiving in F4 though both games have that "this game was built around being able to fast travel and not having it fucks things up" feeling. Skyrim at least has carriages and boats but its still a noticeable oversight.

Skyrim even removed earlier games' ability to in-world fast travel, like mage teleportation or Mark and Recall, so you're even more dependent on non-diegetic fast-travel.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
Those fast travel changes were made in the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion. Oblivion introduced instant fast travel from the world map, and removed teleport spells and fast travel as a paid service by NPCs. Skyrim reintroduced fast travel as a paid service with wagons, but the wagons are extremely limited compared to Morrowind. They're actually limited enough that I would recommend installing a mod that puts more in if you plan to play a game without instant world map fast travel.

I've always been disappointed with the shift in fast travel systems, because Morrowind had a real sense of civilization and wilderness on the map. Some faction quests really felt like they were sending you out to the middle of no-where, and you needed to make sure you had the supplies you needed. Sections of the map were more developed with towns and cities, while others were essentially just wilderness. In Oblivion and Skyrim, cities and villages are all over the map, equally spaced out. I really feel they would benefit from not making the game map province wide.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

I would love a big open world that was just no fast travel by default so you were forced to really take your time and get a feel for the atmosphere of the various places you visited because you likely weren't coming back without a major time investment. Weirdly I think this is something early JRPGs got right - for at least the first part you're following a meandering path through the world that really encourages you to see all of a place before you move on, then you get the amazing feeling of freedom even you inevitably get an airship or whatever towards the end). I think combining that approach with the technical freedom of a wrpg could be very cool if done well.

I dont think its realistic with AAA games as they are now, really. Like, the only developer with the budget to even do 'big beautiful handcrafted location that you may only visit once' is Rockstar and even they reuse a bunch of that stuff for multiplayer purposes. Witcher 3 almost gets there because outside of the main hubs a lot of the towns are very much "heres a village with a random well-written quest or two" but even then with as good a game as it is I couldn't really differentiate one swamp village from the next.

That kind of design also runs counter to the reason people actually like the Elder Scrolls, which is running around doing whatever rather than following a strong central main quest that takes you down a linear path.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a very good fast travel system that Elder Scrolls should just adopt wholesale.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you don't like the google maps fast travel, there's a game that has a somewhat intuitive fast travel that I'd love to see Bethesda use.

it's morrowind

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chaosapiant posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a very good fast travel system that Elder Scrolls should just adopt wholesale.

is it like red dead redemption? iirc that game didn't have map-clicking, just mounts and transit. i wish boats and silt striders in morrowind worked like carriages and trains in that game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doc Hawkins posted:

is it like red dead redemption? iirc that game didn't have map-clicking, just mounts and transit. i wish boats and silt striders in morrowind worked like carriages and trains in that game.

I have no idea, I ain't ever played no RDR. It's map based travel, but you see your dude travelling on the map and you can get into random encounters that pull you back into the game world. There's other games with these travel systems, but none in first person that I'm aware of.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

RDR2 does have map-clicking, but only one-way - from your camp to a remote location.

RDR1 has regular fast-travel, you just need to set up a camp in the wilderness first.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RDR2 also has the system that the last two AC games have, the 'set your horse on autopilot then chill out and enjoy the scenery without having to hold a button down' deal which I'm a fan of. You could still be waylaid by bandits or have random questgivers call out to you or something too which kind of stays in the spirit of things.

At some point before survival mode was even a thing I tried to do a no-fast-travel playthrough of Skyrim and what it ended up being was me turning into a werewolf (fastest travel speed in the game) and sprinting back to town. If I was still a werewolf when I arrived, welp, guess some guards are gonna die horribly. I ended up in jail a lot but it was an interesting idea, at least.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I prefer real fast-travel - setting my horse to "autopilot" while I browse the internet for ~10 minutes isn't all that engaging. Especially with RDR2 being a game where pretty much every gameplay mechanic is all about being at least a little bit annoying.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if moving around in the game world is boring, that is a fault of the game broader than its fast-travel syatem

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

axolotl farmer posted:

There's no interesting stuff to steal in Skyrim. Instead I used my thief skills to turn Whiterun into a town with a very relaxed dress code.

Some next level design would be having the game respond to the player's actions. You could have the jarl send more patrols to guard homes and hire an investigator to interrogate people. Some time later, the game generates a book chronicling the history of the trouser thief.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When I'm in the mood for really immersive in Bethesda games, I like to 1) Get a darker nights mod that makes it not impossible, but much more difficult to travel at night, especially without a torch, and then 2) Use a console command to slow in game time down to between 1/2 to 1/4 what it is by default. That way you have to get up in the morning, and have a general plan for what you're going to do during the day and where you're going to end up/sleep at that night. Generally I could do a quest and one or two random dungeons along the way in Skyrim, and then get back to town before it got dark. It worked pretty good in Fallout 4 too. In Skyrim I'd disable fast travel, or just refuse to use it and rely on the crappy wagon/boat system, and in FO4 I got a mod that would allow fast travel, but only between towns you made, so there was actually a reason to have more than 1 of them, and pick the ones with strategic locations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

no fast travel skyrim is mostly fine, 9 out of 10 times when youre just going from point A to B whether the next city over or to some dungeon

it really plummets with some locations you have to keep going back to, like the Blades Temple or High Hrothgar

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That playstyle was brought up in the Daggerfall manual, where the devs mentioned that you should roll with your decisions and not to save scum (not the wording they used, of course). I have to remind myself how rewarding it is, in general, to do this, from time to time.

Easier to do in Daggerfall because it's one of the few games that let you simply flee the country to avoid the consequences of your crimes.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Boats and Silt Striders.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Nish posted:

Those fast travel changes were made in the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion. Oblivion introduced instant fast travel from the world map, and removed teleport spells and fast travel as a paid service by NPCs. Skyrim reintroduced fast travel as a paid service with wagons, but the wagons are extremely limited compared to Morrowind. They're actually limited enough that I would recommend installing a mod that puts more in if you plan to play a game without instant world map fast travel.

One little tweak I added to my tweaks file is adding all of the carriage drivers to the Hearthfires Carriage Driver faction. This gives them a poo poo-ton more destinations, pretty much every place you could want to go.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
kinda sad to never have seen the secret of mana classic, cannon travel, used since

for those who never played it, your party is shot from a cannon to a destination

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

bony tony posted:

This is basically what I thought Oblivion might be, based on descriptions I'd heard of Cyrodiil: 80% city, 20% jungle, with some significant fraction of the game taking place on the other side of an oblivion gate. Something like Mournhold, but with scenery past the walls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of realism mods, here's one for Daggerfall Unity. It's pretty much mechanical and not cosmetic, so it shouldn't be a big trick to get running on any machine that can already run DFU.

Here's a list of features:

quote:

Clickable Beds

Simple module that enables bed models to be activated. When activated, it pops up the sleep menu and disables the auto-teleport to a bed.

Advanced archery

Adjusts damage and hit chance depending on length of bow draw. Obviously only works with the bow draw option enabled in main DFU settings. If you release an arrow too soon, damage and hit chances are reduced. Same if you hold the bow drawn too long. Releasing at the right point will give a slight increase to hit chance.

The tables below shows the current implementation of adjustments:

Draw time effect on damage:
0s - .8s = damage is scaled linearly up to default damage
.8s - 5s = normal default damage
5s - 6s  = 85% damage
6s - 8s  = 75% damage
8s - 9s  = 50% damage
9s - = 25% damage

Draw time effect on hit chance:
0s - .2s = -40 to hit
.2s - .5s    = -10 to hit
.5s - 1s = normal to hit
1s - 2s  = +10 to hit
2s - 5s  = normal to hit
5s - 8s  = -10 to hit
8s - = -20 to hit

Enhanced Horseriding

Enhances horse riding, making it more realistic looking and providing new abilities.

Riding presented in a more realistic way, with the animated horses head fixed in the view rather than moving with the camera. Limits ability to look downwards while riding.

Horses will follow the gradient of the terrain. This slope following can be made sharper or softer by adjusting a mod setting up or down.

Horses can now gallop (sprint) by pressing the shift key. Cart horses cannot.

Civilian NPCs can be trampled by galloping horses, killing them and sending city guards after you for assault. Be careful or keep your

speed down in populated areas.

Enemies can be charged down with the horse by galloping into them. This only works once, as they'll be wise to your tactics after that.

Always hits and does twice max hand to hand damage but costs a moderate amount of stamina.

Encumbrance Effects

Simple module that gives consequences to carrying too much weight. Once you're carrying more than three quarters of your maximum capacity, your speed will start to reduce and rate of fatigue will increase. This is relative to weight up to -50% speed at 100% capacity. The reduction will show on the character sheet just like any other stat debuff.

Usable Bandages

Simply makes bandage items usable items which will heal some health depending on the level of medical skill.

Ship Port Boarding

This module places a restriction on where you can board your ship, once you've saved up and purchased one. With this enabled ships can only be boarded from towns with ports.

Underworld Expulsion

This module makes it possible to be expelled from the underworld guild in Daggerfall. Beware, neither the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood are the sort of organisations that allow members to just walk away. There's no way to re-join either, since those bridges will be well and truely burned, even if you do somehow get out alive.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

young scrolls is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkyPnpW7eQ8

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I would be very happy to play an Elder Scrolls game with Skyrim level graphics (hell, Morrowind level graphics) if it tried to fully flesh out the gameplay systems in Daggerfall that were barely implemented, like complex faction relationships or boat ownership, that actually had some gameplay effect beyond bragging rights, and noncombat skills that had an appreciable effect.

One of my favorite parts of Skyrim modding is the archeology guild in the Legacy of the Dragonborn; I could lots of cool ways the language skills could integrate with that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

UPDATE: Full EP just dropped like Icarian Flight wore off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTeVz6rP6r4

e: Horny should win a Grammy

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 27, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
there's a vivec funko pop. I feel like CHIM makes that really loving weird. Like it should be in a shrine, not an EBGames.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it should be in the trash

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 27, 2019

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

jiub didn't die for this

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

FBS posted:

UPDATE: Full EP just dropped like Icarian Flight wore off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTeVz6rP6r4

e: Horny should win a Grammy

There are some good lines in there.

You from the Sixth House
'Cause you be sleeping on me

You say your diss is magical
You don't know how to spell

I think Balmora Blue has the smoothest voice editing.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 27, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like zoom better. Saint is just more zoom but less hot.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

album power rankings:

-Zoom
-CLOUDS
-Riften Ruckus (specifically "Work")
-SAINT
-Clout Ruler Temple
-Riften Ruckus (the rest of the album)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt