Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I cant stand the idea that I now must watch the OT and know that Vader is Luke's father and have to recontextualize the entire saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
But you knew that because of the OT??

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Blood Boils posted:

But you knew that because of the OT??

And then its meaningfuly built upon and given a satisfying, well done conclusion in the next movie?

Brother Entropy posted:

fortunately canon is a fake idea and you can ignore disney's new bad movies and no one can stop you but yourself

Oh absolutely, as I said I never let the dumb stuff in the EU ruin the OT for me when I was a kid and the ST wont either.

Like I said, its an annoyance, but it doesnt ruin anything.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 27, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

AndyElusive posted:

I cant stand the idea that I now must watch the OT and know that Vader is Luke's father and have to recontextualize the entire saga.

The sequel defender has logged on.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

To be fair, even though its a retort to my post, I enjoyed TFA for what it was(an entertaining risk assessment) and I really loved TLJ, issues and all. I had no major issues with Ep 7 and 8 and was really excited to see what was going to happen after TLJ and then I read all the spoilers for TRoS and welp

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
lol JJ literally digging up the old bones of the death star and emperor because he can't continue the story in an original direction is

well it's something special y'all

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I love the fact my brain can't accept the stupidity of space horses riding on top of a Star Destroyer.

Also the throne room scene in RTOJ was already ruined when they added Vadar's "No!" to that scene. When I first learned about it, I assumed it was a prank.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Really though did anyone expect anything else after JJ was announced for VII? That was the death knell for the franchise and it happened in 2013.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watto should be in IX. So should Jabba.

And Bossk.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, the sequel series is fine, if not ultimately unnecessary. But I feel like over investment in fan bullshit ruined it.

-The Force Awakens was a fun movie that was a retread. And people complained about it being a retread.
-The Last Jedi was a good but flawed movie that did interesting things and tried to set up the trilogy to go to new places. But people complained about it.
-Now Rise of the Skywalker is just going to be a remake of Return of the Jedi despite the fact that one of the dramatic questions The Last Jedi ends on is, "What do you do when the redemption Vader/Anakin went through, doesn't work?" And like the Millennium Falcon will blow up or something and I'll probably cry. And It'll be like... fine.

But they should have just filmed these movies back to back. Not because of the asinine criticism that they should have plotted things out, but just to avoid over investment in people who spend too much time focused on movies they don't like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rogue One is still the best of the four Disney SW films and I think that's because they actually weren't really setting things up for future films beyond the nod at the end to Leia getting the Death Star plans and fleeing right into the beginning of A New Hope. They actually got to tell a complete story. Don't get me wrong, the beginning of Rogue One has a lot of pacing issues, but once it gets going it's good, and once they get to the jungle planet it's good until the end.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I won’t say that the EU is good but it’s at least content set in the same universe, and there’s a lot of it to crib from. So, for this to be the one major franchise that is somehow being freewheeled and retreading itself is really amazing.

I’m just glad we got Rogue One out of this mess.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Brother Entropy posted:

fortunately canon is a fake idea and you can ignore disney's new bad movies and no one can stop you but yourself

By all appearances, Episode 9 is a direct sequel to Episode 7. So I’m really looking forward to Jakkooine on a massive scale.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Technically, the idea was never discarded. It was just implied in all the marketing materials for misdirection. Which is lame af though, I agree. Would've been cool as hell if Finn was also force-sensitive.

Same, in Force Awakens he felt very pulpy because of it like some of the older concepts for Obi-Wan/Han being one character that's more of a swashbuckling type than a straight up fighter or a jedi. I liked it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Poe isn’t sensitive is he? There’s your swashbuckling lad right there.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Sylink posted:

This trilogy reminds me exactly of the prequels in that they could have started the plot on the 3rd movie and went from there, and it would have been better.

New watching order is just III-VI-IX.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

well why not posted:

I’m just glad we got Rogue One out of this mess.

Yeah, has its problems but was just basically a kick-rear end movie for stupid over the top stuff. Vader's home looked nice.

The only thing was it was missing space donkeys.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

Honestly though, what Star Wars movie after ANH hasn't asked the audience to recontextualize the movie prior? The PT asked us to recontextualize the OT and now a goon is complaining about it happening in the ST.

I get that all the SW threads on SA are giant echo chambers where everyone just gets pissed off about the same poo poo Youtubers do and then laugh it off. So people ripping on the ST doesn't rustle my jimmies or anything, but the complaints are getting weirder.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Honestly though, what Star Wars movie after ANH hasn't asked the audience to recontextualize the movie prior? The PT asked us to recontextualize the OT and now a goon is complaining about it happening in the ST.

I get that all the SW threads on SA are giant echo chambers where everyone just gets pissed off about the same poo poo Youtubers do and then laugh it off. So people ripping on the ST doesn't rustle my jimmies or anything, but the complaints are getting weirder.

Yeah but the problem is I do enjoy the ST and dont share many of the complaints against them and absolutely agree with you that these threads have become mostly just an echo chamber of arrogance and pretention.

My issue is not with recontextualizing previous films as an act itself, its recontextualizing without a clear vision, purposeless intention and redundant thematic conflict. Given its not out but going with the spoilers, the reveals and twists throughout the movie appear to serve no purpose other than a blatant retcon and back peddling and to just throw everything against the wall because gently caress it.

Like I said, I get the throne room battle in RotJs more important aspect is the conclusion of the OT emotional arcs for Luke and Vader, but regardless, for me bringing back the Emperor(just like the EU did) diminishes the triumph over evil as a result of the triumph over personal demons. Like if Episode 9 somehow makes a thematic point of that triumph being fleeting, Ill sing a different tune. Thats why I liked a lot of the deconstructionist aspects of TLJ. But if its just bringing back the Emperor because you couldnt develop an effective villain and want to cash in on nostalgia as much as humanly possible that uh....loving sucks?

I dont care if you ask me to recontextualize a previous movie, just ask me under pretenses that arent poo poo.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 27, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AccountSupervisor posted:

Like if Episode 9 somehow makes a thematic point of that triumph being fleeting, Ill sing a different tune.

The issue is that this point was already implicit in the end of Jedi, in that Vader’s sacrifice only grants Luke the freedom to choose the fate of the Galaxy - without any guarantee that Luke will choose correctly.

This point was then made explicit with Episode 1, which is literally history repeating itself all over again because of the heroes’ ideological failure.

The metaphorical point of Episode 1 is that there will always be another Palpatine because the Republic’s system generates Palpatines. Killing him is pointless when we need a radical change to the system itself.

Episode 9, in literally bringing back Palpatine and saying he was behind it all, is not only redundant but a regression.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1189023939424473088?s=19

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Thank god. I never was a big fan of GOT. I mean it was entertaining, but there wasn't really much going on there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if it has anything to do with them basically admitting they had no loving clue with what they were doing with GoT.

https://news.avclub.com/based-on-this-benioff-and-weiss-panel-it-mustve-been-d-1839398581

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1189026358409588736?s=21

:laffo:

A real life :yikes:
Are they really that scared of Star Wars fans? Good riddance either way. I kinda wish someone would ask them what's got them so busy all of a sudden.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 29, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1189026358409588736?s=21

:laffo:

A real life :yikes:
Are they really that scared of Star Wars fans? Good riddance either way. I kinda wish someone would ask them what's got them so busy all of a sudden.

:hmbol:

yea i'm sorry but if Lucasfilm comes calling, you loving clear your schedule

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Regardless of the quality of GoT who in their right mind would want to enter the garbage sphere of Star Wars fandom willingly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They straight up kamikazi’d the end of GoT so they could do Star Wars, loving lmfao. Perfect.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Okay Uwe Boll, your chance to shine!

In all seriousness, it's possible that their new "owner" has something to do with it. Didn't Netflix "buy" them to produce shows for them? And Netflix and Disney aren't exactly friends right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game of Thrones died so that Star Wars may live.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I think Disney threw them overboard and they just agreed on an announcement that lets them walk away with some dignity.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

I think Disney threw them overboard and they just agreed on an announcement that lets them walk away with some dignity.

it's probably this, although i think it's from more of an angle of disney finally realizing they're not gonna be able to ramp up star wars to MCU levels of churning films out (just yet, at least) and deciding to quietly cancel some of the glut they had upcoming

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

it's probably this, although i think it's from more of an angle of disney finally realizing they're not gonna be able to ramp up star wars to MCU levels of churning films out (just yet, at least) and deciding to quietly cancel some of the glut they had upcoming

Star Wars isn't big enough in China for it to be worth doing.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shame since star wars kind of deserves them at this point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

RLM brought this up at some point, but the SW universe is pretty shallow and is not going to be able to be used by Disney the way Marvel is

Disney has barely scratched the surface of Marvel content, whereas it feels like enthusiasm for more SW material is waning

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Disney should have started with adapting the old EU in a similar fashion to how MCU adapts the comic book storylines. I suppose they kinda resorted to it eventually by including Thrawn in the Rebels but rebooting the EU seems like a bad idea in retrospect. The old EU was full of cool (if often very stupid) stuff but the new EU seems boring and probably even worse than the old one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FlamingLiberal posted:

RLM brought this up at some point, but the SW universe is pretty shallow and is not going to be able to be used by Disney the way Marvel is

Disney has barely scratched the surface of Marvel content, whereas it feels like enthusiasm for more SW material is waning

Its almost like Marvel is an entire creative suite in its own right, with properties in every genre, and Star Wars is a good movie trilogy with a lot of extras bolted onto it.

It was a noncomparison from the start and I'm surprised Disney tried to treat them identically, instead of playing better to Star Wars' strengths.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

Disney should have started with adapting the old EU in a similar fashion to how MCU adapts the comic book storylines. I suppose they kinda resorted to it eventually by including Thrawn in the Rebels but rebooting the EU seems like a bad idea in retrospect. The old EU was full of cool (if often very stupid) stuff but the new EU seems boring and probably even worse than the old one.
There’s not a lot of great material there

Like even the Timothy Zahn books are very strange. You have multiple clones and all sorts of weird poo poo. And those are the ‘good’ ones.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Captain Jesus posted:

RLM has a point, but it's not anything that comes from the Star Wars brand itself - it's probably one of the most enduring franchises ever. It's the fact that Disney has handled their newest acquisition in just about the worst possible way. They threw out the old EU and rebooted it with some really bad novels that didn't to much to impress their most devoted consumers, then started cribbing from the old EU. Then, they kicked off the sequel trilogy by doing it with no overall direction, a bunch of mystery boxes, and a core cast who were barely defined if at all. They tried to avoid anything that people might associate with the prequels (such as, say, politics and taxes) and replaced it with a, well, nothing. Whether the new support for the prequels was an inevitable aspect of time and distance, a response to the disappointment with the sequel films, or Disney astroturfing that's since backfired can't really be determined. It doesn't help that dark clouds hang over the Disney-era of Star Wars given their treatment of George Lucas. It doesn't help that Disney themselves don't seem to understand what parts of the sequel trilogy work better than others - such as Kylo Ren - and are just kind of floundering about trying to make everyone happen. People extended a lot of good will to Episode 7 under the thought that it'd go somewhere or that it had to be 'safe' and 'familiar' to make battered fans feel reassured - like some kind of domestic violence situation. Then, with TLJ, it became clear that there was no plan. By all accounts, Episode 9 is walking back whatever Episode 8 shot for, for better or worse. Imagine if Return of the Jedi had Obi-Wan tell Luke that Vader was lying, because that's seemingly where the film is heading with Rey Palpatine and half of its other developments.

The bit with C-3PO in the trailer trying to have this big moment with his 'friends' feels like the perfect summary of the sequel trilogy as a whole. He's never interacted with Rey or Finn, and I think Poe has just told him to shut up a few times. It doesn't help matters that it feels like the sequel trilogy was motivated as a way to start printing money based on recognizable icons and designs without needing to pay residuals or royalties. Only it backfired, because Disney didn't do nearly enough to make people actually care about their new characters and just about all of their new designs outside of what we see in Rogue One are terrible.

Enthusiasm for Star Wars has waned because Disney has hosed it up. They know it, too. TLJ performed below expectations and the discourse was terrible. Solo was a trainwreck. Benioff and Weiss' trilogy has been canceled, and Johnson's films aren't looking likely either. I don't think Episode 9 is going to do much to revive things, I'd say they just want it to not be another TLJ or Solo. A nice, safe reception that allows them to say, look, the saga is finished!

I can't believe they're going with 'The Emperor is back.' Sure, Dark Empire did it, but the rest of the EU tried to pretend that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At least the theme park has been a hit

:(