Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1186854609383579648

So this is at least 4-5 times now that Darren has tried to flex on a kid for committing the crime of... being a drat kid.
Not gonna lie all his Tweet did was make me click on the larger version of the picture to try to figure out what game the kiddo was playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Crazy Ted posted:

Not gonna lie all his Tweet did was make me click on the larger version of the picture to try to figure out what game the kiddo was playing.

Elixir Capture according to a reply.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That looks like Clash Royale.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1187904593147117570

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

KNEW he was a goon.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

KNEW he was a goon.
Even money he only posted in Trad Games and BYOB

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Even money he only posted in Trad Games and BYOB

Definitely CityName SportsTeam, even if Moof Wear was better. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1188195840583712772?s=19

never mind the glaring obvious fact that Oklahoma gave up almost 50 points to an unranked team, we've got video replay to continue whining about, dammit!

This also continues deadspin's new tradition of whining about video replay (and especially VAR) even when the call was made or proven correct thanks to the replay.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
VAR is good, the implementation of it in the Premier League is loving abysmal

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

VAR is good, the implementation of it in the Premier League is loving abysmal

aso for NFL pass interference calls

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

This also continues deadspin's new tradition of whining about video replay (and especially VAR) even when the call was made or proven correct thanks to the replay.

Because it loving sucks and makes the experience of watching sports way worse.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1188195840583712772?s=19

never mind the glaring obvious fact that Oklahoma gave up almost 50 points to an unranked team, we've got video replay to continue whining about, dammit!

A review that has to come down to Zaprudering two frames of slow-motion video is a review that doesn't need to be made. It's a sporting event, not a homicide investigation.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If they want to complain about unnecessary video interfering with people's entertainment, they had better start with deadspin dot com ohohohohoho

But seriously it's almost startling how quickly it became an ad-infested hellscape even while running an adblocker, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not around in a year or two as the vultures that took it over squeezed it for every last cent

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah I'd really hate for my football game to get interrupted by a video replay (sits through 5 minutes of commercials after every loving play)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

yeah I'd really hate for my football game to get interrupted by a video replay (sits through 5 minutes of commercials after every loving play)

We all hate that aspect too?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think video replay is generally pretty bad but deadspin's argument that it is a bigger tragedy because Oklahoma is higher ranked is entitled bullshit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

We all hate that aspect too?

i mean you're the guys willing in the water bitching its wet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

it sucks rear end in other sports too

Lockback posted:

I think video replay is generally pretty bad but deadspin's argument that it is a bigger tragedy because Oklahoma is higher ranked is entitled bullshit.

In college football a single loss can eliminate you from championship contention so that seems kind of relevant to their point?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 27, 2019

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The alternative outcome is "Oklahoma's undefeated season remains intact through bullshit non-call" so which one do you prefer?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

skaboomizzy posted:

The alternative outcome is "Oklahoma's undefeated season remains intact through bullshit non-call" so which one do you prefer?

probably the one that didn't force me to watch someone pour over two frames of ultra slow mo for 20 minutes with no real clarity gained

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's the exact type of complete marginal poo poo that replay shouldn't be used for.

There should be a real time timer. If an official doesn't see conclusive evidence either way in a minute, let the call on the field stand. Even let the challenging team keep their timeout if it's a 50/50. The rules were designed to be officiated by people on a field, not people doing Zapruder analysis.

I felt the same way about the World Seires play a few years back where a runner was called out because his foot lifted a millimeter off the base for a tenth of a second. Who cares. If a reasonable umpire couldn't have seen it in real time what's the point of reversing the call?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 27, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

i mean you're the guys willing in the water bitching its wet

You’re doing the “you participate in society” thing but for sports.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

it sucks rear end in other sports too

Except tennis. The only sport where replay is super quick and super accurate every time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Don't bring back football replay until you can use Atari graphics to determine whether or not there was a catch within 10 seconds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

skaboomizzy posted:

an official not calling a failed onsides kick where the ball skimmed against someone's elbow at 9.5 yards wouldn't have been a "bullshit non-call", lol

I mean fundamentally Oklahoma sucked rear end and should have lost but come on with that poo poo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

You’re doing the “you participate in society” thing but for sports.

you're doing the "bad posting" thing but for everywhere

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

you're doing the "bad posting" thing but for everywhere

Consider workshopping that one

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Consider workshopping that one

I mean you're the guy bitching about replay when the replay was justified, which is pretty bad posting!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel like plenty of people have explained why they don't like replay for that kind of very borderline stuff but I guess continue getting very angry every time someone mentions watching football

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I mean you're the guy bitching about replay when the replay was justified, which is pretty bad posting!

I haven't even mentioned replay? I was responding to your post about commercials in football.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

I feel like plenty of people have explained why they don't like replay for that kind of very borderline stuff but I guess continue getting very angry every time someone mentions watching football

i'm old enough to remember the backlash to vinny testaverde and am convinced that sports fans like complaining no matter what

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

In college football a single loss can eliminate you from championship contention so that seems kind of relevant to their point?

The larger context shouldn't matter. Replay is a rule, and rules shouldn't apply differently if a team is undefeated or not. You can't say "It's fine to use replay to preserve a undefeated season, but not ok if it ruins it". A team that didn't manage to lose to Kansas St should get that playoff berth instead.

MourningView posted:

probably the one that didn't force me to watch someone pour over two frames of ultra slow mo for 20 minutes with no real clarity gained

This is fine and I'm all for removing/reducing replay, but I don't really care if Oklahoma feels like they deserve the win just because they are Oklahoma.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MourningView posted:

Thanks for your permission! People who bitch about replay should be exiled to some dumpster country like syria or canada

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
that is a sensationally bad post.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

i'm old enough to remember the backlash to vinny testaverde and am convinced that sports fans like complaining no matter what

No one likes bad calls but you still get plenty of those with replay and I personally don't think the benefit is really worth breaking up the flow of the game to spend huge chunks of time watching every borderline play frame by frame to rules lawyer out whether a guy came a fraction of an inch off the bag or if the ball moved too much to whatever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Replay is a thing that should only be used for calls that are pretty clearly mistakes in real time. Really I think that's all a lot of us are asking for.

If something needs to be given a frame-by-frame analysis over the course of 4-5 minutes, it was a 50-50 call to begin and it more than likely didn't need to be scrutinized.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazy Ted posted:

Replay is a thing that should only be used for calls that are pretty clearly mistakes in real time. Really I think that's all a lot of us are asking for.

If something needs to be given a frame-by-frame analysis over the course of 4-5 minutes, it was a 50-50 call to begin and it more than likely didn't need to be scrutinized.

give replays a time limit; if you can’t solve it in 1 minute the call stands but any challenges used are retained by the coach

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Have two people separated from one another upstairs or at a headquarters somewhere and give them one minute to look at the video. If they both decide the same, it’s overturned. If it’s split, it stands. If they both feel it was a correct call, it’s confirmed.

If you can’t decide in a minute, it shouldn’t be overturned anyway.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

give replays a time limit; if you can’t solve it in 1 minute the call stands but any challenges used are retained by the coach

I'm very pro-replay but I agree with this. If you can't change the call after watching replay for a minute, then at worst it was a razor-thin mistake, not a blown call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The NHL actually accidentally blundered into the right idea, just let coaches challenge whenever they want but penalize them when they make a bogus challenge. Now it's a penalty in the NHL to challenge a call and fail. Other sports should do the same thing: technical foul on the coach in the NBA (so 2 free throws plus the ball, and if he challenges unsuccessfully twice in a game he's gone), 15-yard penalty in the NFL.... OK, MLB is more complicated because everyone is so viscerally sickened by the idea of awarding free outs or bases. But gently caress MLB anyway.

Point is, if you make it actually hurt to challenge a call that wasn't obviously wrong, coaches will mostly stop doing it and we won't have to deal with that bullshit.