Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he's occasionally on Catsdown and he's always by far the worst part of any episode he's on

how he keeps getting bookings I have no loving idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's with Off The Kerb, like the rest of them.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The guy from the bake off extra show I've forgotten the name of (...extra slice??)?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Taear posted:

I really don't get why he came in and gave them the task at the end? Weird.

The person who got fired I genuinely don't even remember being in it before so uh...great.

"What did you actually do in the task?"

"I brought myself"*
*or something to that effect

Has got to be one of the funniest defences anyone has ever given on the Apprentice behind "I have a field of horses"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Slash posted:

Yeah they basically got to choose the colour. And for what it's worth i liked the red wheels, maybe that's just my inner child coming through.
Yeah it's been clear for a while the contestants get to choose less and less of what they can do on the "design" tasks. Gone are the days when they can make an empty box and claim it's essential in any home, they're mostly just picking from a handful of options and choosing a colour. Just drop the charade and call it a branding task instead.
The not-quite-mentioned collab with Raleigh drops the curtain a bit though.
Aphrodite - https://www.raleigh.co.uk/rm20hur-motus-kompact
E-Fit - https://www.raleigh.co.uk/25002-motus-grand-tour-open-frame

Which honestly makes it dumber, because they did just literally choose their commuter bike because presumably it was the only viable (limited) option.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 25, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Apprently Lottie Lion is a big racist who idolises Katie Hopkins. The BBC condemned something she said in a whatsapp group but the tabloids are saying she has said a lot more that has been swept under the carpet by the production company.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Apprently Lottie Lion is a big racist who idolises Katie Hopkins. The BBC condemned something she said in a whatsapp group but the tabloids are saying she has said a lot more that has been swept under the carpet by the production company.

I read that on reddit a few weeks ago - and when you know that you can also feel people kinda disliking her. In the house everyone is pally with each other but they're absolutely not pally with Lottie.
Other than the guy who went out with her I guess. She called an Indian lady a "gandhi" which is a proper weird slur to me but whatever.

Khablam posted:

Which honestly makes it dumber, because they did just literally choose their commuter bike because presumably it was the only viable (limited) option.

Too much of the show is fake now I think. Like I know it's always been quite fake but I feel like there are limits if you want it to remain "fun".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The candidates are basically the same every year I've noticed. They always have one who's an extra lovely sociopath. There's the big loud cockney bloke. The really camp gay bloke. The gobby Northern woman.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is anyone watching Giri/Haji? A Yakuza drama set between Tokyo and London. It's airing on bbc2 on Thursdays but it's all on iplayer already. Entirely my poo poo, it's fantastic 6 episodes in. Wondering how it's going to wrap up satisfyingly though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Accident was quite good last night but I am anxious to see how it plays out from the opener, potential to go a bit daft I think.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taear posted:

I read that on reddit a few weeks ago - and when you know that you can also feel people kinda disliking her. In the house everyone is pally with each other but they're absolutely not pally with Lottie.
Other than the guy who went out with her I guess. She called an Indian lady a "gandhi" which is a proper weird slur to me but whatever.
Everyone disliking her was pretty obvious last week, but hilariously applied this week.
"I should be PM because [extensive experience with electric bikes]"
team: eh........... nah
"Then at least sub-team leader"
team: I mean, also no

It made me smile.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

eating only apples posted:

Is anyone watching Giri/Haji? A Yakuza drama set between Tokyo and London. It's airing on bbc2 on Thursdays but it's all on iplayer already. Entirely my poo poo, it's fantastic 6 episodes in. Wondering how it's going to wrap up satisfyingly though.

I remember that forums user Echoplex did the graphics work on it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The_Doctor posted:

I remember that forums user Echoplex did the graphics work on it.

They did a great job.

I have no idea why the beeb commissioned the show though, let alone gave it an hour slot on primetime bbc2. No one is going to watch it. It hits Netflix next year and that'll pick up the numbers maybe. It's amazing and I won't hear a word against it but it's not exactly mainstream.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Commissioning a thing that's neat but doesn't necessarily have mass appeal is pretty much the point of BBC2 I think.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Harry Hill's Clubnite is fantastic Friday night telly :3:

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I have all the first few seasons of Apprentice on VCD (yes they're that old) and really the gulf between even that poo poo there and the new stuff is almost as stark as that Mitchell and Webb sketch and the real show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Robodog posted:

I have all the first few seasons of Apprentice on VCD (yes they're that old) and really the gulf between even that poo poo there and the new stuff is almost as stark as that Mitchell and Webb sketch and the real show.

On what now?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Robodog posted:

I genuinely don't know what VCD is. Do...you mean VHS? Or is this some forgotten weird thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I remember VCDs. More popular in Japan than in Europe. Mpeg2 decoding and about an hour of video on each. The discs themselves were just CDs with video rather than audio data. Not much better than VHS in terms of quality. Japan often embraces technology more readily than the west. Id like to feel the simulated warm embrace of a robot woman. Stolen moments of electronic bliss. But if I was discovered? There would be hell on.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
How did Humans end up, anyway? I remember the first season got a lot of buzz but then very little for the rest (probably because Westworld blew up).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I was being facetious trying to make you feel old, thinking that VCD was another name for VHS.

It being some dead forgotten format is I think a positive result too.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

I genuinely don't know what VCD is. Do...you mean VHS? Or is this some forgotten weird thing.
Proto-DVD, with films split over two discs. Playable on PCs or things like the Philips CDi or certain consoles with addons. Very easy to make your own with a standard CD burner, so a lot of pirated movies were distributed as VCD images. Resolution was only like... 320x240, later there were SuperVCDs that were 640x480. Got really cheap once DVDs came out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Akuma posted:

Proto-DVD, with films split over two discs. Playable on PCs or things like the Philips CDi or certain consoles with addons. Very easy to make your own with a standard CD burner, so a lot of pirated movies were distributed as VCD images. Resolution was only like... 320x240, later there were SuperVCDs that were 640x480. Got really cheap once DVDs came out.

"Forgotten weird format", got it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taear posted:

"Forgotten weird format", got it.

Not entirely forgotten, or even dead. There's still movies being put out on VCD in some regions because it's so cheap, Techmoan's video on that is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7PbQTlv5ig

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

Wondering how it's going to wrap up satisfyingly though.

As it turns out, it loving didn't. :sigh:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of weird that In the same week Aisling Bea appeared on Living With Yourself on Netflix and Kerry Godliman is a regular on Treadstone, the Jason Bourne spinoff show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of weird that In the same week Aisling Bea appeared on Living With Yourself on Netflix and Kerry Godliman is a regular on Treadstone, the Jason Bourne spinoff show.

Did anyone else watch Living With Yourself? What an absolutely bizzare programme, some serious tone shifts.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I thought it was really excellent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Liked it a lot too. Wouldn’t normally binge 8 episodes of something in a row but they did a good job of making you want to see the next installment straight away.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

goatface posted:

He's with Off The Kerb, like the rest of them.

I'd no idea what you meant so I goggled this and literally laughed out loud when I looked at their site.
It explains so much, gently caress.

If anyone hasn't, then have a look at their roster. It all becomes so clear.

https://offthekerb.com/artists/

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

I'd no idea what you meant so I goggled this and literally laughed out loud when I looked at their site.
It explains so much, gently caress.

If anyone hasn't, then have a look at their roster. It all becomes so clear.

https://offthekerb.com/artists/

Just like Taskmaster mainly features comedians signed to Avalon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just like Taskmaster mainly features comedians signed to Avalon.

As does basically all Dave's comedy output.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It happens right across the industry. All the production companies have their own talent agencies (or at least are under the same parent company) so they're always booking from their own pool of people. I believe a few years ago the BBC said they were going to tighten up on it but I don't think much happened.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Not only that, but (and take this with a grain of salt because my source is literally "I know a guy who knows a guy"), agents will be quite hesitant to let shows book just their most popular talent, say for instance, Dara O'Briain, but will be much more willing to let you book Dara O'Briain and Bimby Pimbles.

So, if you're wondering, "Why does Tom Allen keep showing up on Cats Countdown?" it is not unlikely that the answer is, "So that Kevin Bridges will be there".

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Taear posted:

Did anyone else watch Living With Yourself? What an absolutely bizzare programme, some serious tone shifts.

Yeah it was weird and I feel like it could have been a lot more interesting. It’s a great idea for a story

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah it was weird and I feel like it could have been a lot more interesting. It’s a great idea for a story

It felt a little bit like a black mirror concept that they'd gone all in with.
My main thing about the tone shifts is the last episode. I kinda felt like they didn't really WANT to make it a comedy but they'd got two comedy actors and just....did it anyway in a weird weird way. Especially the FDA bit. Baffling.

The Pointless Celebrities ('Musicals') on Saturday was the most "look at the demographics of the 100 people" episode of Pointless I've ever seen. Usually it's really clear that everyone is old and southern but that one was even more on the nose. Obscure 1960s songs all getting 40 points and people being shocked.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 28, 2019

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Im not (that) old and yet I knew all of them. The first set were pretty obvious and will known songs.

I did enjoy the American picking random letters for the postcode question and getting correct answers.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's a new C4 series called Harry Hill's Clubnite. It's mixed-bill stand up hosted by Harry Hill. My main takeaway is that I want more Harry Hill Show and this is the closest I'm probably going to get.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

Im not (that) old and yet I knew all of them. The first set were pretty obvious and will known songs.

I did enjoy the American picking random letters for the postcode question and getting correct answers.

Come on, the flamingo one that got 33? That wasn't obvious or well known.

So bake off final.
Alice's parents saying they showed her "good management" then not being there because their flight from Ireland THAT DAY got cancelled was pretty funny, but also extremely posh. I dunno how I feel about David winning, it just felt like Steph somehow had a really poo poo day.
Seeing everyone flub the technical in the final felt weird. I dunno - stuff was so hard this year that every single task felt like they were only pulling through by the skin of their teeth.

And while I liked most of the people I'm not really sure what to say about it by the end. Steph should have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I preferred the difficulty of the technical challenges this year. It is supposed to be a challenge, if they're too easy then you just get several slightly different variations of the thing. At least if it's properly difficult people can completely gently caress it up.

I agree Steph should have won.