Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm still chuckling over the timing of this announcement. Trump waits until 0900 on a Sunday morning, when most of his base is probably either at church or headed there.

Don't kid yourself. None of his base really gives a poo poo about church/faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Small story. Normally I don't tell gaming stories, but there is a small purpose to this.

I played a game of Night's Black Agents, which is a tabletop game along the lines of Call of C'thulu. You know, roll dice, shoot cultists, lose sanity.

The game consisted of government operatives attempting to kill a known terrorist and if you needed money, you could call in. And unlike most games, this wasn't just discouraged because things need to run on a budget. On the contrary, we were encouraged to call in for more and more money because apparently poo poo was expensive. But every time that happened, the mission parameters would change.

At first we had to make sure that a pro basketball star who's working for the North Koreans doesn't get killed. Call in again. We need to kill him and use a fifty caliber anti-materiel rifle so it could be quote "totally badass", delivered totally deadpan by the handler as played by the GM. Called in again, now there needs to be an explosion, but we also need to do a drive-by like it's a gang war assassination and not a government assassination.

By the end the pickup truck/technical is totally covered in real tiger skin because it's in Burma and everything is horrible, the NBA basketball player who spies for North Korea is headshotted with an anti-materiel rifle and there is a gang style drive-by of terrorists by CIA operatives with AK-47's. The game ends, we have all have laugh and it's revealed that someone, somewhere, in a house that so happens to white, is eating popcorn and watching all of this like it's his own personal TV show.

The guy who ran this game works in DC in politics, specifically for the democratic party. And it makes me wonder if there is any truth to this. It's already horrible, but low rent, stupid action movie feels about right.

And that's my story.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bornbytheriver posted:

They do, but performatively.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bornbytheriver posted:

How they view the Bible is similar to how they view the Constitution: it's a holy, inerrant document that they've never bothered to actually read that closely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm still chuckling over the timing of this announcement. Trump waits until 0900 on a Sunday morning, when most of his base is probably either at church or headed there. I guess it was perfectly timed to get the hosts of Sunday talk shows to fellate him, but I'm guessing the death of Baghdadi will be promptly forgotten as soon as the next round of impeachment questioning begins.

Yeah, I don't expect this to stick around for long. Baghdadi was a piece of poo poo who absolutely deserved to get got, but it barely broke the evening news the last couple of times we thought we got him in a drone strike.

Getting bin Laden a decade late was still a good political get because America loving hated that guy even if he was no longer relevant. Half the people I talked to today thought he was already dead, and another quarter had no idea who he was without serious prompting.

If he'd come out, given a 'we got him' with some dignity and a scripted speech that would be it. A tiny political boost for his base and no one gives a poo poo. Instead he came and rolled around in poo poo for an hour.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Who do you think is going to play Gina Haspel in Zero Dark Thirty II?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Is there independent non-US confirmation of the raid and the kill? All I see are Trump's word and US-based "sources".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caros posted:

Yeah, I don't expect this to stick around for long. Baghdadi was a piece of poo poo who absolutely deserved to get got, but it barely broke the evening news the last couple of times we thought we got him in a drone strike.

Getting bin Laden a decade late was still a good political get because America loving hated that guy even if he was no longer relevant. Half the people I talked to today thought he was already dead, and another quarter had no idea who he was without serious prompting.

If he'd come out, given a 'we got him' with some dignity and a scripted speech that would be it. A tiny political boost for his base and no one gives a poo poo. Instead he came and rolled around in poo poo for an hour.

better still, Trump has the advantage that if he ever does anything right people will remark on how presidential he was this time

but he's completely incapable of just giving a short, dignified statement and leaving so we don't have to worry about that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i heard on the NPRs that the reporter investigating Weinstein went to their boss and basically got shut down 'it's not news, who cares'; reporter had to shop it around instead. Unsurprisingly turns out said boss has a history of being a shithead.

Since its NPR they then spend 15 minutes on the CLINTON CONNECTION

I mean, you know Clinton did have at the bare minimum a hand in the whole 'oh that's just rumors you shouldn't worry about it' when talking to Farrow, right? It's a fair thing to bring up.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

They do, but performatively.

How they view the Bible is similar to how they view the Constitution: it's a holy, inerrant document that they've never bothered to actually read that closely.

Exactly. Not taking the piss here, comrades, I just hate that swine and anyone who supports him so much.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

bornbytheriver posted:

They absolutely do. Their church communities are important - hence, which Church do you go to? These are real communities, just of generally awful people - hence why it also happens to be one weird trick to get the government to bless your bigotry and doesn't generally have a heck of a lot to do with Christianity.

It's a kinda natural outcome to giving deference to religion, religion gets mixed up in politics as a way to rubber stamp otherwise abhorrent views.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sort of. Both are weapons to only be used when they inflict damage on people they hate. When that use case isn't in progress, they don't exist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

better still, Trump has the advantage that if he ever does anything right people will remark on how presidential he was this time

but he's completely incapable of just giving a short, dignified statement and leaving so we don't have to worry about that

yea he'll get a few days of 'he died as a coward, running and crying' being a thing because holy poo poo the president is talking about killing someone like some wannabe gangster, but he hosed himself with his poo poo like "YOU KNOW I PREDICTED 9/11"

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Rip Testes posted:

I'm picturing that photo the Obama administration let out from the bin Laden raid, but Trump in for Obama, Ivanka in for Hillary.... Stephen Miller, Jared, Gorka, in for whoever.... christ.
https://twitter.com/Scavino45/status/1188451497421561856?s=20A very candid and not at all excruciatingly posed photo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is there a good summary of this morning's speech anywhere? Even CNN's summary is largely downplaying it and focusing mostly on his descriptions of the violence and not including him giving out sensitive mission details, thanking Russia, ranting about bin Laden, etc.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Russia claims it didn't even happen lol

https://twitter.com/parfitt_tom/status/1188467439455129602?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh my god imagine if after all this "HE DIED SCREAMING AND CRYING LIKE A DOG" it actually was yet another 'uh turns out that wasn't him, woops' like we joked about last night

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Phlag posted:

https://twitter.com/Scavino45/status/1188451497421561856?s=20A very candid and not at all excruciatingly posed photo.

His queeny need to butch up at any opportunity is so funny and cute. He just loving loves being amongst the big strong men in uniform and contrasting them against his weak, crying, cowardly, dog like enemies.

If he had a choice between being president or hanging out with the generals and bikers for trump, he wouldnt need time to consider

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phlag posted:

your joke turns out to be even more correct than i thought

https://twitter.com/PeteSouza/status/1188471757579194371

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm the pile of wires connected to nothing

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phlag posted:

We KNOW trump needs glasses so he can't see a loving thing in this picture.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

So did... did we get purposefully bad intel and kill a bunch of civillians?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

oh my god imagine if after all this "HE DIED SCREAMING AND CRYING LIKE A DOG" it actually was yet another 'uh turns out that wasn't him, woops' like we joked about last night

Which is why I'm not buying the story without confirmation from some non-US entity, like Russian or Turkish forces on the ground. For all we know, this could have been just another foreign war crime in Syria.

Completely possible Trump either misunderstood or was even fed bad intel.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Phlag posted:

They're posed exactly like the ghost furry and tuxedo guy in The Shining.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sexpig by night posted:

I wasn't joking at all about doubting essentially everything about this

sexpig by night posted:

oh my god they literally just dumped a box of cat5 on the table

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

eke out posted:

your joke turns out to be even more correct than i thought

Like this loving shitheel would be able to wait until the next day to brag about this? There's no loving way this happened.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I wasn't joking at all about doubting essentially everything about this

yea I was serious on the 'this won't really mean anything but big wet boy needs his 'I KILLED OBL' moment' stuff but I was not expecting 'we once again lied about killing Baghdadi and may have done a war crime and bragged about it' to be a real contender.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, we freely admitted we killed 3 civilians in a building with women and children, imagine how many we probably really did kill

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It's gonna turn out they really did show him the new Call of Duty game, isn't it :psyduck:

This timeline is the one all the time travelers/Sliders laugh at, isn't it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Like they obviously conducted some sort of operation, but a new york city hot dog vendor could've text messagde rudy coordinates of a compound in syria and say baghdadi was there and choppers would've been en route in 15 minutes they were so desperate for any kind of a win.

If this went through some actual established channels that's one thing, but it sure smells like some other 'lets cook up foreign news to help trump' scheme until literally anything corroborating comes out.

sexpig by night posted:

Like, we freely admitted we killed 3 civilians in a building with women and children, imagine how many we probably really did kill

US forces hitting some random house in Idlib would certainly explain the crying terrified occupants pleading for their lives part

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 27, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Would Russia have any motivation to want to hide its cooperation in this operation if it indeed occurred? Maybe Trump was never supposed to mention them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would Russia have any motivation to want to hide its cooperation in this operation if it indeed occurred? Maybe Trump was never supposed to mention them.

it's always in Russia's interest to humiliate Trump and remind their populace that they can totally own him whenever they want. i don't think this response is any real surprise considering they've done similar things repeatedly

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol they made this partisan, they didn't tell any Dem about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know how you guys can even stand to listen to this moron at this point. Half the time, I can't even muster up the fortitude to read his tweets that get posted here. I'm just...I don't even know the word for it.

Oh yeah, "broken"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's really no telling what Trump actually watched

https://twitter.com/Scout_Finch/status/1188476400753205249?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know how you guys can even stand to listen to this moron at this point. Half the time, I can't even muster up the fortitude to read his tweets that get posted here. I'm just...I don't even know the word for it.

Oh yeah, "broken"

I don’t want any of his poo poo anymore. I just catch the quotes on Twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/parfitt_tom/status/1188462763376549891 Russia says lol.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sexpig by night posted:

I used to do IT in the military, red is for secret level communications yellow is for top secret level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
One of the particular ironies (or inconsistencies depending on your pov) of this is that baghdadi was already almost certainly lastingly crippled from previous US efforts to kill him, if even alive at all still. After the last time they thought they got him (and were specifically very certain about it), a tape referencing current affairs in what was deemed to be most likely authentically his voice and/or someone who at least looked a lot like him came out. But there was still a pretty strong undercurrent of belief that baghdadi was dead and perhaps someone else had just assumed the mantle. After one of the earlier assassination attempts, he fell off the earth for iirc a year or two and when he popped back up people on every side were surprised.

Basically, the odds are good that they launched an attack to assasinate a dude who was already dead, possibly even long dead. On its own that would be a bit conspiratorial for my tastes, but given everything that already doesn't add up about this, we really will have to wait and see

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 27, 2019