Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Hmmm... I don't know what to think about this article about Rebecca Ferguson and Jessica's role in the script

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/rebecca-ferguson-dune-lady-jessica-1202185246/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sandworm and Sun

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
While it’s kept secret, isn’t she the best fighter in the first half of the book (especially if Feyd isn’t present?)
She clowns Stilgar and Duncan, though he’s drunk at the time.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Duke & Duker

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ulf posted:

While it’s kept secret, isn’t she the best fighter in the first half of the book (especially if Feyd isn’t present?)
She clowns Stilgar and Duncan, though he’s drunk at the time.

I see no reason to suspect she is better than your average sister, and the bodyguard part kinda rules out the secret part.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

exmachina posted:

Hmmm... I don't know what to think about this article about Rebecca Ferguson and Jessica's role in the script

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/rebecca-ferguson-dune-lady-jessica-1202185246/

Lol. What you have to remember is that this book was written back in the 60s when people had strange notions about gender equality and the role of women. Such archaic ideas from that time really shine through like an empire spanning cult of female super humans and a population of desert dwelling fanatics whose women are as fierce and capable as the men and are regarded as indispensable in battle.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Guild, the Vlad, and the Ugly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Once Upon a Time on Old Rakis

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A Fistful of Duncans

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Little Sietch on the Dune

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

A Fistful of Duncans

A Few Duncans More

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ghola Bebop

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Big O(drade)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gom Jabberjaw

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The Gurney Shore

Several young Fremen are housed in a luxurious sietch on the edge of the Great Flats, employed in the day at a shop stamping custom logos on stylish stillsuits under their boss’s inkvine lash. By night, they hit the spice clubs and feel the beat without rhythm.

Starring DJ Pauly A, Fenny Hasimigliano, Feyd Feyd Ortiz, and Thufir “The Computation” Hawat housed with the lovely Aliagelina, Sook-sook-sookie, J Wahad, and Sammie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Lol. What you have to remember is that this book was written back in the 60s when people had strange notions about gender equality and the role of women. Such archaic ideas from that time really shine through like an empire spanning cult of female super humans and a population of desert dwelling fanatics whose women are as fierce and capable as the men and are regarded as indispensable in battle.

Yes, if herbert was writing today he'd likely have a bit where jessica beats the leader of the fanatics without breaking a sweat and Paul's cleaning lady regularly stabs challengers to death to save him the bother

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The Guild, the Vlad, and the Ugly

The Feyd, the Vlad, and the Rabban

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

sebmojo posted:

Yes, if herbert was writing today he'd likely have a bit where jessica beats the leader of the fanatics without breaking a sweat and Paul's cleaning lady regularly stabs challengers to death to save him the bother

I see what you did there

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

All bene gesserit are more or less super soldiers in the first book. The main reason they don't use it like a soldier would has more to do with keeping secrets and appearances but the books have people that are wary of loving with the BG sisterhood. She teaches Paul what he knows and helps train the fremen.

So the actress claiming that is not really surprising.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole thing with BG is to make the most maximally efficient use of all the power and abilities of the body and mind, so not really surprising they're basically super-soldiers. Though it's a talent of limited use given even a super-soldier can be outnumbered, the reason the Fremen are so dangerous especially on their home turf is that they're actually an organised and experienced society of warriors.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Riot Bimbo posted:

All bene gesserit are more or less super soldiers in the first book. The main reason they don't use it like a soldier would has more to do with keeping secrets and appearances but the books have people that are wary of loving with the BG sisterhood. She teaches Paul what he knows and helps train the fremen.

So the actress claiming that is not really surprising.

yeah it's just the :smuggo: 'well of course things are different these days' bit.

that said, herbert had a whole thing about exclusively gay suicide bombers which i suspect will not make the final cut

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do get the impression Frank was fairly progressive for the time but before we had the modern framework for equality and acceptance, which results in getting some Weird Ideas about it, not to mention the way people treat things in-setting isn't necessarily making a statement about it. (since the society in Dune is explicitly feudal and very regressive in ways the audience would hopefully recognise as backwards)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I am purely talking about in-universe reasons. Before Muad'dib rose to power, not many knew about BG abilities, some knew about voice, but stuff like their fighting ability (weirding way) were only legends. Not even the Duke knew.

This all falls apart if Jessica is literally Leto's bodyguard. If they have a scene where Jessica can covertly deal with a threat to Leto that would be ok

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Chani obviously isn't his cleaning lady but she does that at least once.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

exmachina posted:

I am purely talking about in-universe reasons. Before Muad'dib rose to power, not many knew about BG abilities, some knew about voice, but stuff like their fighting ability (weirding way) were only legends. Not even the Duke knew.

This all falls apart if Jessica is literally Leto's bodyguard. If they have a scene where Jessica can covertly deal with a threat to Leto that would be ok

She is rogue by the time she has a son for the duke. Her dropping her cover isn't nevessarily even out of character for book Jessica at this point

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doesn't Gaius Helen Mohiam reveal that the Bene Gesserit definitely could take over control very easily, but that they don't want to? Presumably this is because they know humanity would stagnate even more quickly than it already is at the start of Dune, yet as Paul and Leto II both point out later on they didn't see the future well enough to avoid it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figure it was as much because being in charge is just so much loving hassle and not really necessary for what they want to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meridian posted:

Chani obviously isn't his cleaning lady but she does that at least once.

oh i was meaning the other one. Jamis' ex. Harah? i could be misremembering

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Chani says "maybe I should have left him for Harah" after killing the Challenger

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Thufir “The Computation” Hawat

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Guildsman's Island

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hawat Met Your Mother

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Sietch

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figure it was as much because being in charge is just so much loving hassle and not really necessary for what they want to do.

It would inevitably begin to undermine their actual goals and iirc it becomes an issue later for them later on

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

exmachina posted:

I see no reason to suspect she is better than your average sister, and the bodyguard part kinda rules out the secret part.
Are there any other sisters in the first half of the book, though? Other than Mohiam, who doesn’t read like someone training herself to a physical peak.
Granted on the bodyguard thing, though Jessica is still a consultant on security matters in the book too.
To me this reads like someone who has read the script for the first film and has never read the book or anything surrounding it, so they understand their character in a weird and isolated context. Which I guess isn’t a great look for the actor, but I’m not sure yet if it tells me anything about the script.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance Without Rhythm

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The Voice

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
If I'm not mistaken there are moments in the first book where Jessica is actively trying to hide her BG skills from Hawat, Duncan, and others. I remember the justification being is that it would be a big deal if every Lansraad family found out that their concubine could control people with their voices. In the Sietch Tabor she has to play it down otherwise they would kick her out instantly

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ulf posted:

Are there any other sisters in the first half of the book, though? Other than Mohiam, who doesn’t read like someone training herself to a physical peak.

Lady Fenring, sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Enkmar posted:

If I'm not mistaken there are moments in the first book where Jessica is actively trying to hide her BG skills from Hawat, Duncan, and others. I remember the justification being is that it would be a big deal if every Lansraad family found out that their concubine could control people with their voices. In the Sietch Tabor she has to play it down otherwise they would kick her out instantly

Yeah, I mean that's the whole thing about calling them witches, because weird poo poo happens when they are around but you can never verify or tease it out, and so everyone becomes superstitious about the BG, which is an additional level of smoke screen.