Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
"We're on an express elevator to hell. Goin' down!"

This movie just has So. Many. Good. Lines.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not even the best line in Jaws.

That honor should go to Quint's monologue about the Indiannapolis.
For me, if one of the most memorable speeches in a movie ever, expertly delivered, drunk, by a man who's haunted to his core by what he experienced and views killing this shark as retribution for what it's kind did to him and his crewmates.

“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 27, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've never really thought about quite how insanely quotable Aliens is.

I bet if we all worked together we could quote the movie line for line from beginning to end.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I'm still partial to "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?,
"Get away from her you BITCH!", "Stop your grinnin', and drop your linen!", "Look into my eye", "I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."...

And of course, my personal favorite...
"I'm ready, man. Check it out! I am the ultimatebadass! State of the badass art! You do not want to gently caress with me. Check it out! Hey, Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..."

Knock it off Hudson.

Not only is that the best line in Jaws, but one of the best lines in cinematic history.

Someone has this as an AV and their name is Bigger Boat. Love it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They said “penis breath” in ET, I thought that was cooler than anything in Aliens. :shrug:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

hellotoothpaste posted:

Bout to watch the poo poo outta Aliens right now.

Falling asleep to this at midnight, or at least attempting to, was inadvisable :ohdear: First time I ever made it through the whole way, though.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Jay_Zombie posted:

That honor should go to Quint's monologue about the Indiannapolis.
For me, if one of the most memorable speeches in a movie ever, expertly delivered, drunk, by a man who's haunted to his core by what he experienced and views killing this shark as retribution for what it's kind did to him and his crewmates.

“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

I just read every fn word of this in Quint's voice. So good.

Here's another top notch quote:
"I don't know if you've been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"They mostly come out at night. Mostly."

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Jay_Zombie posted:

"We're on an express elevator to hell. Goin' down!"

This movie just has So. Many. Good. Lines.

Whenever I fly and it’s a rough landing I always think of that line.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Jay_Zombie posted:

lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then…

i always hear charlie's version first now, i'm ruined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLG4hXxR_UQ

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gonna drop some acid and watch Aliens later tonight :catdrugs:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

I've never really thought about quite how insanely quotable Aliens is.

They mostly quote Aliens at night.

Mostly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Biplane posted:

Gonna drop some acid and watch Aliens later tonight :catdrugs:

They’re comin outta the goddamn walls!!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Assholes and elbows.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
'Herbie Robinson from Cleveland' would make a good username.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Actual favorite Aliens line has to be Ripley losing her poo poo and yelling at the suits at her debriefing. You can just kiss all that goodbye!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

skasion posted:

They’re comin outta the goddamn walls!!

back in the day when our city's LAN center was still open, we used to play Starcraft and Serious Sam screamin this poo poo at the top of our lungs

Aliens is so fuckin good

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Also you're all fools, it's clearly
"we're in the pipe, five by five."

:h: :h: :h:

Coming around for a seven-zero niner.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They said “penis breath” in ET, I thought that was cooler than anything in Aliens. :shrug:

Even Eliot’s mom knew it was a great line.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

"Alright. We got seven canisters of CN-20. I say we roll them in there and nerve gas the whole loving nest."

I have actually used this line, when dealing with a potential bedbug infestation, followed by "nuke the site from orbit", just to be sure.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alien was a better movie. So was Terminator.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite Aliens quote comes from Frost when they're told to not use their guns in fear of loving up the reactor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33DX9Wjd7E
Hicks has a good one in there too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It don't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Frost owns.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I say we grease this rat gently caress sonofabitch right now.

You're dog meat, pal.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Die motherfucker!
Motherfucker!
Come on! Come on! Come and get it baby!
Come on! I don't got all day! Come on!
Come on! Come on! You bastard!
Come on, you too!
Oh, you want some of this? gently caress YOU!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Why? Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing certain. Only that some get called, some get saved...

No, wait. Wrong movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Why? Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing certain. Only that some get called, some get saved...

No, wait. Wrong movie.

Still a great scene.

Dogburster > oxburster

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Still a great scene.

Dogburster > oxburster

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Kibbles and bits! Kibbles and bits!

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

:siren: Alien is on BBC America, at least for me at 7CST on Sling :siren:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hellotoothpaste posted:

:siren: Alien is on BBC America, at least for me at 7CST on Sling :siren:

And next up is Aliens and Alien 3!

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And next up is Aliens and Alien 3!

Shiiit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

*my girlfriend* got me a present
https://www.amazon.com/Jonesy-Lives-Nostromo-Rory-Lucey/dp/178565926X

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:3:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

that rules :kimchi:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My Spectrum guide now shows Rotten Tomatoes scores. It's on TV right now on BBC America and saw the score.

Welp...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

6% of audiences have bad taste :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

6% of audiences don't like the cornbread either.