Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bmw recently patented a hybrid bike with a flexible bladder fuel tank, the idea being you can empty the tank, fold up most of the volume and a larger, longer range battery pack can go in the hole instead. It looks hopelessly German.

The problem with hybrid bikes is completely unacceptable weight and bulk penalties, there just isn't enough room on an acceptably sized bike for both ICE stuff and electric stuff while still maintaining the range and performance to make the whole thing worthwhile at all. The above is an attempt to resolve that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also hybrid bikes are kind of a misbegotten concept anyway, because the main point of hybrid drivetrains is to improve efficiency, but this question was already asked of bikes back in the 80s, and the answer is small displacement single cylinder engines and enclosed streamlined fairings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone should make one with a poo poo load of laptop cells and one of those cheap Chinese bicycle motors tied to an alternator.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I’m surprised sagebrush hasn’t designed and 3d printed one yet

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I washed my A* Viper Air textile jacket for the first time in 3.5 years, all the black on the arms didn't come out, but it at least it smells better. Despite wearing deodorant every day, it still got a slight BO smell from riding when it's over 100 degrees. The biggest pain in the rear end is getting all the armor back in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's one of the reasons I wasn't too upset when I crashed in my 7yo Icon Overlord jacket, I loved the poo poo out of that jacket, but eventually you just can't get the sweat and bug guts out anymore.

Also, Jesus gently caress a jacket with TPU molded armor makes a racket in the washing machine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I washed my A* Viper Air textile jacket for the first time in 3.5 years, all the black on the arms didn't come out, but it at least it smells better. Despite wearing deodorant every day, it still got a slight BO smell from riding when it's over 100 degrees. The biggest pain in the rear end is getting all the armor back in.

Chuck it in a sink/bath full of hot water with a big dose of biological detergent overnight, scrub the dirtiest bits for a few seconds with a soft nylon brush (old toothbrush works if you don't have anything else to hand) then run it through your machine's hand-wash or gentlest wash option (no spin dry) without detergent to rinse it out, that should shift just about anything. This also has the advantage of letting you leave the armour in.

Elviscat posted:

That's one of the reasons I wasn't too upset when I crashed in my 7yo Icon Overlord jacket, I loved the poo poo out of that jacket, but eventually you just can't get the sweat and bug guts out anymore.

Also, Jesus gently caress a jacket with TPU molded armor makes a racket in the washing machine.

Wrap it in a pillow case (or duvet cover if you don't have a pillow case big enough) to avoid scratching it up or damaging the drum/door - this is also good advice for washing boots, etc.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I spent 3 hours trying to remove a steering head race today, it's jammed in tight and way out of alignment.

I used a punch, a specific tool, hours of penetrating oil and a blowtorch. I even ground an old notched flathead to make it flat on one side so it doesn't jump off the lip easily.

I'm going to Dremel it on Monday

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I spent 3 hours trying to remove a steering head race today, it's jammed in tight and way out of alignment.

I used a punch, a specific tool, hours of penetrating oil and a blowtorch. I even ground an old notched flathead to make it flat on one side so it doesn't jump off the lip easily.

When you do finally extricate it, be sure to thoroughly sand the inside of the tube where it sits cause it'll have grooves that'll make smashing the new one in problematic.

Also they're super brittle so a small cut with a Dremel plus some hammer and chisel violence should be enough to shatter it.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Good tip thanks. I can only assume the last one was inserted with a sledge

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

I’m doing my steering head bearings tomorrow, having never done it before. Hoping it goes better than this!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I think mine is a particularly bad example; it's a 20 yo dirt bike with hundreds of jumps and gallons of river mud behind it. God speed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I think mine is a particularly bad example; it's a 20 yo dirt bike with hundreds of jumps and gallons of river mud behind it. God speed

Fun fact: on a v-rod the head tube tapers on the inside, making it impossible to hit the back of the races with anything. Using violence or a welder are the only options available, you don't even get to try tapping them out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No slide hammering?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

Fun fact: on a v-rod the head tube tapers on the inside, making it impossible to hit the back of the races with anything. Using violence or a welder are the only options available, you don't even get to try tapping them out.

Good thing American steel lasts forever and those races will never need replacing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No slide hammering?

No lip no ledge no nothing for a slide hammer to grip onto :shrug: it literally tapers to a hole a few mm wider than the steering stem right off the back of the bearing races. Absolutely infuriating.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think I'd sell a bike with that kind of bullshit. Sure I'd get it fixed and put back together but all I'd be able to think of is "What else did you goddamned idiots gently caress up for me to deal with?"

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No slide hammering?

I'll have nothing to do with the V-Rod :colbert: as they did not provide the proper accommodations :colbert::colbert:

I rate the V-Rod :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: / :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

I'll have nothing to do with the V-Rod :colbert: as they did not provide the proper accommodations :colbert::colbert:

I rate the V-Rod :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: / :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert:

Strange, anecdotally I've always found tools love vrods.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Strange, anecdotally I've always found tools love vrods.

goddamn :iceburn:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
A haiku:

gently caress this bearing race
violence is the answer
immortal steel gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I got to get rid of this thunderous poo poo sandwich:

It was brought to me with the imperative that it just needed to be fixed, doesn't matter what it costs! It turned out to have a wiring loom made of trailer hitch 7 colour cable, so that needed to go.

Like all bigharley-derived machines, this thing is meant to have the wiring joined to the switch blocks, then threaded through the bars for that clean look. All of this means it's basically making a harness from scratch time. Not a big job for the well prepared, I rather enjoy it. Surprise! The bar to MC mating area on the bar is a completely different shape to the ubiquitous Harley style norm. The switches, like everything else small and plastic, have been destroyed by crackheads. All of this stuff is particular to one American company. The switches are unavailable separately to the master cylinders which is good because the clutch is leaking and oh they're like $1600 altogether :thumbsup:

At this point I stopped and informed the gentleman of the costs and timeframe to proceed. He told me SWEET BRO I'LL GET YOU THE MONEY TOMORROW and that was repeated for nine months while his blue excretion took up workshop floor space, gathering dust.

In the meantime he had me fix his other idiotic chopper, in a hurry, along with some threats to burn my house down et al if he didn't have it the next day, only to have his inbred cousin who had clearly never ridden a big bike collect it a fortnight later. Throughout there was talk of fixing the other bike and the imminent funds to do so. Eventually after much anger on my part, half a dozen aborted attempts and loads of telephonic debate came:

The rescue

Wherein our hero finally turned up for his bike in, predictably, an obnoxious dodge ram hemi (they come in rhd!) accompanied by several relatives.

At this point the list of poo poo wrong with the bike I don't give a gently caress about includes:

-front tire so flat it's fallen off the bead
-fuel tank not really bolted down
-clutch mc totally blown
-side stand is missing the spring, is seemingly designed to fold down and lock open in a way that makes you fall over moving the bike
-poorly fitted, jam-prone steering damper (oh yes)

The ram is towing a flat, broad featureless car trailer. I advise them to reverse the trailer up only so far as to make the ramp angle to my (steep) driveway basically horizontal seeing as the bike is like 7' long. This is ignored, they reverse the trailer up so it's parallel with the slope. He attempts to gravity ride the bike up the ramp, the front wheel descends the 'crest' of the ramp-trailer and it promptly bottoms on the engine, the now-deployed and locked side stand, and his flip-flop clad foot.

By this point my exasperation has got the better of me and I've left the scene. My missus advises them to creep the truck forward while the guy holds on in panicked terror. Eventually the thing makes it up, with the steering damper helpfully locking the front wheel to the right aka the worst direction, and it's time for strapping.

They are equipped with:

- one (1) ratchet tie down

And proceed to strap the bike towards the front of the trailer. Naturally my partner, who works with bikes constantly, doesn't know anything about tying poo poo down or why you should put things in gear, so her advice is also ignored! By this point I've returned and have no sympathy or ratchet straps I'm willing to lend.

In a huff he drives away, only to have the bike rocket backwards at the initial acceleration, the strap and steering conspiring to dump it on it's side, whereupon the tank flops off and bounces into the street. Much swearing and gnashing of teeth, eventually he drove away with it pancaked and the strap over the top.

gently caress that bike, gently caress that guy, gently caress this town.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Today I got to get rid of this thunderous poo poo sandwich:

It was brought to me with the imperative that it just needed to be fixed, doesn't matter what it costs! It turned out to have a wiring loom made of trailer hitch 7 colour cable, so that needed to go.

Like all bigharley-derived machines, this thing is meant to have the wiring joined to the switch blocks, then threaded through the bars for that clean look. All of this means it's basically making a harness from scratch time. Not a big job for the well prepared, I rather enjoy it. Surprise! The bar to MC mating area on the bar is a completely different shape to the ubiquitous Harley style norm. The switches, like everything else small and plastic, have been destroyed by crackheads. All of this stuff is particular to one American company. The switches are unavailable separately to the master cylinders which is good because the clutch is leaking and oh they're like $1600 altogether :thumbsup:

At this point I stopped and informed the gentleman of the costs and timeframe to proceed. He told me SWEET BRO I'LL GET YOU THE MONEY TOMORROW and that was repeated for nine months while his blue excretion took up workshop floor space, gathering dust.

In the meantime he had me fix his other idiotic chopper, in a hurry, along with some threats to burn my house down et al if he didn't have it the next day, only to have his inbred cousin who had clearly never ridden a big bike collect it a fortnight later. Throughout there was talk of fixing the other bike and the imminent funds to do so. Eventually after much anger on my part, half a dozen aborted attempts and loads of telephonic debate came:

The rescue

Wherein our hero finally turned up for his bike in, predictably, an obnoxious dodge ram hemi (they come in rhd!) accompanied by several relatives.

At this point the list of poo poo wrong with the bike I don't give a gently caress about includes:

-front tire so flat it's fallen off the bead
-fuel tank not really bolted down
-clutch mc totally blown
-side stand is missing the spring, is seemingly designed to fold down and lock open in a way that makes you fall over moving the bike
-poorly fitted, jam-prone steering damper (oh yes)

The ram is towing a flat, broad featureless car trailer. I advise them to reverse the trailer up only so far as to make the ramp angle to my (steep) driveway basically horizontal seeing as the bike is like 7' long. This is ignored, they reverse the trailer up so it's parallel with the slope. He attempts to gravity ride the bike up the ramp, the front wheel descends the 'crest' of the ramp-trailer and it promptly bottoms on the engine, the now-deployed and locked side stand, and his flip-flop clad foot.

By this point my exasperation has got the better of me and I've left the scene. My missus advises them to creep the truck forward while the guy holds on in panicked terror. Eventually the thing makes it up, with the steering damper helpfully locking the front wheel to the right aka the worst direction, and it's time for strapping.

They are equipped with:

- one (1) ratchet tie down

And proceed to strap the bike towards the front of the trailer. Naturally my partner, who works with bikes constantly, doesn't know anything about tying poo poo down or why you should put things in gear, so her advice is also ignored! By this point I've returned and have no sympathy or ratchet straps I'm willing to lend.

In a huff he drives away, only to have the bike rocket backwards at the initial acceleration, the strap and steering conspiring to dump it on it's side, whereupon the tank flops off and bounces into the street. Much swearing and gnashing of teeth, eventually he drove away with it pancaked and the strap over the top.

This is amazing. :allears:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
lol, Slavvy, does that monstrosity even have any actual Harley parts on it? Looks like every single component was put through the bad decision filter...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is the proper procedure for trailering a bike to pop it in first? My recent parts bike excursion we used 4 ratchet straps at each corner with no kickstand and left it in neutral

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

thunderous poo poo sandwich:
So good I really can't even pick a favorite part.
I rather enjoy the idea of a bike with a guy on it being dragged precariously by just the front wheel, but I also really enjoy the schadenfreude of "I totally know how to strap a bike down," only to fail at it miserably.

mewse posted:

Is the proper procedure for trailering a bike to pop it in first? My recent parts bike excursion we used 4 ratchet straps at each corner with no kickstand and left it in neutral

I would say it really depends. I've had good luck with both methods.
I prefer using a choc and straps and leaving it in neutral.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 30, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

lol, Slavvy, does that monstrosity even have any actual Harley parts on it? Looks like every single component was put through the bad decision filter...

Nothing is Harley badged but the engine and it's accessories, the air preload rear suspension and electrical system would all swap right over. The primary drive, gearbox and combination sprocket/rear disc are all ludicrously priced chopper specific bullshit.

mewse posted:

It really depends, if you're doing it perfectly you probably don't need to but real life isn't always perfect and the bike not being able to rock back and forth can make a big difference. For me, jamming up the front wheel and strapping via the triples/bars is the safest and most effective, though I've found with Harleys and some other cruisers it's better to strap to the frame itself and compress the forks that way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

:allears: your tale of suffering has brought so much joy. What an epic. Why didn't they just compress the front brake to keep it in place? Or was that non-op as well?

I'll never tire of stories of white trash new zealanders with white trash American castoff nightmare choppers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

:allears: your tale of suffering has brought so much joy. What an epic. Why didn't they just compress the front brake to keep it in place? Or was that non-op as well?

I'll never tire of stories of white trash new zealanders with white trash American castoff nightmare choppers.

The front brake is useless at the best of times on a chopper, with a completely flat tire it barely did anything at all. But I think the answer is just too much stupid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am so happy that slavvy returned.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The only thing that would make that more beautiful is a totally different person showing up today or tomorrow asking if you've seen their blue chopper that was stolen about a year ago.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Today I got to get rid of this thunderous poo poo sandwich

This was a beautiful post. Please, if you have other such tales, :justpost: .

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's like elisethegreat started posting about motorcycles. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

This was a beautiful post. Please, if you have other such tales, :justpost: .

I do but I also have a terrible memory, I'll post more dumbfuck stories when one comes to me if people like them.

Less funny idiots, more gently caress the police:

I do these little safety workshops with Auckland transport intended to try and reduce fatalities among the 50cc crowd. 50's here can be ridden on a car license, retail around $1500 and are exempt from safety inspections. You can fill in the blanks. Anyways these became so popular that people with normal bikes kept turning up so we expanded it to all bikes and even got the cyclist people involved (pushbike mechanics are weirdos btw).

The police, meanwhile, are under enormous misguided pressure to reduce road fatalities at key periods of the year like long weekends, Christmas etc so they've started doing fatigue stops on the usual highways of death, wherein they encourage people to stop to have a rest, get some free water and coffee and a bunch of safety info and free stuff. The cops are expected to do this because the government thinks stomping the boot is easier than reforming the entire driving license system to make people capable of staying on their side of the road, understand the road rules etc all too hard basically.

Our handler at AT thought it would be a good idea to have a bike related presence at these things, so we got booked for a three hour a few weeks ago and a six hour one a little while ago.

Our method of engaging with the public: let them roll up, offer them some free poo poo like a yellow vest or tire pressure checker, talk some poo poo about bikes while I check over their machine and gently (or not) inform them why they're gonna crash and die. People seem to like this approach and I genuinely think we've made a measurable difference to crash statistics, I've also gotten a huge amount of business out of it because it seems that being honest and trying to give as much info as possible makes people think you're a trustworthy mechanic :shrug:

Police method: stand in the middle of the road, flag the rider down. They stop immediately thinking they're getting a ticket, I can't talk to them because their head is on a swivel and they're desperate to escape the pig trap so won't even leave their bike, and meanwhile the cops find something to give them a ticket for.

Three hour event: I saw zero bikes, the cops spent half an hour harassing some guy with a Silvia because his car was lowered and noisy. He had a cert and everything was totally legal but that didn't stop them crawling all over his car for half an hour, calling hq to figure out how to sneak a ticket through his armor of certification, before finally letting him go with nothing.

Six hour event: I saw three bikes. Got to talk to one person, the other two both hosed off before I could walk over because the cops just immediately fired some tickets at them before they could even take their helmets off.

$100/hr of taxpayer's money both times and I came away feeling dirty because both me and the AT guy realised we were there as polish on the jackboot to make the cops look less bad, the whole thing was a revenue gathering exercise and I'm pretty sure the net safety actually went down because it's just taught a few more people to never stop for the police.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ozzie cops sound like total knobs.

Anyway, I hope you carry on the classes (sans cops). They sound very useful to new riders!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Ozzie cops sound like total knobs.

ACAB

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Please don't insult me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

NZCAB too!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I resent any political policy aimed at stopping Kiwis from killing themselves through recklessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I went to the Phillip Island MotoGp over the weekend. Really well organised and despite the weather messing things up on Saturday, it was a great time. One thing that I forgot is how the motorcycle community is outside of this forum. I overheard 2 old dudes talking about bikes, as you'd expect, but it was mostly comparing speeding fine numbers and how points lost on the licence in one state don't matter because they didn't apply to his out of state licence. The other then remarks that he just bought a Panigale and had resigned himself to losing his licence.