Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was for sure my least favourite episode of the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I expected this episode to be for Connor's recovery but
Dick stretched out
that reveal about Slade's son for so long, when it could have been in the first 20 minutes of the episode.

Powernado or menage à superpower trois?

One more point: I wish the writers could find something for Gar to do.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Binary Logic posted:

Dick stretched out
More fun than that episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

roomforthetuna posted:

More fun than that episode.

The Batusi was fun.

I think that's Danny The Street's stage/nightclub where Larry sang.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 19, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Iain Glen was the weirdest casting choice for Batman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So did they just forget that Rachel can use her powers to heal people?

I like a lot of things about this show but good god the showrunners have some very strange ideas about how to pace a TV show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

So did they just forget that Rachel can use her powers to heal people?

I like a lot of things about this show but good god the showrunners have some very strange ideas about how to pace a TV show.

Kryptonians need a super dose of vitamin D

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I've enjoyed this season but the newest episode felt like they didn't know how to handle having so many cast members. Beast Boy and Raven barely show up in the episode. I still can't get over how weird the casting for Bruce Wayne is. I wonder if we will ever see Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman in actually in costume (not in anyone's head) in this show. Really hope they add Kid Flash in season 2 and Cyborg leave Doom Patrol for Titans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Krypto is the goodest flying boy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I liked sarcastic trauma passenger Bruce

and it's played out now but i like the "whats your power?" 'im rich.' joke and Robin's equivalent being 'i know a phone number"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Krypto is the goodest flying boy.

That part also made me chuckle in the exact same way I did during the rocket toss scene. Doggos always make me laugh and smile irl, so seeing one do absurd superhero poo poo will never not boost my spirits lol.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know we've had plenty of butts on the show before but I was kind of surprised to see the boobs.

Spacebump posted:

I've enjoyed this season but the newest episode felt like they didn't know how to handle having so many cast members. Beast Boy and Raven barely show up in the episode. I still can't get over how weird the casting for Bruce Wayne is. I wonder if we will ever see Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman in actually in costume (not in anyone's head) in this show. Really hope they add Kid Flash in season 2 and Cyborg leave Doom Patrol for Titans.

Beast Boy has always felt kind of odd man out on this show. He definitely should have just stuck with the Doom Patrol where they would know what to do with someone who can turn into a tiger.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

I know we've had plenty of butts on the show before but I was kind of surprised to see the boobs.

Beast Boy has always felt kind of odd man out on this show. He definitely should have just stuck with the Doom Patrol where they would know what to do with someone who can turn into a tiger.

Plus unlike Cyborg he was actually a member of that Team. I feel like him and Cyborg should have swapped places.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I feel like they added Beast Boy to the show because he was a member of the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans run and in the Teen Titans cartoon but didn't put much more thought than that to the character.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
It's wild because they've got the old team (Dick, Hawk, Dove, and Donna) and the new team (Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, and Jason) and now they're adding Conner and Rose on top of that, so a lot of heroes spend a bunch of time standing around or just disappearing for a while.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

The Batusi was fun.

I think that's Danny The Street's stage/nightclub where Larry sang.

Can someone please provide context for why Batman is doing the Batusi?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McCloud posted:

Because they are getting they GoT refugee moneys worth.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Dick is wracked with guilt over the death of someone - and the recent near-death of Jason Todd - and imagining/haunted by Bruce criticizing and mocking him for all the mistakes that led up to those events.
Plus this:

Rocksicles posted:

Because they are getting they GoT refugee moneys worth.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

teagone posted:

I thought this too because he just doesn’t really work.

Then there was a particular angle where I thought he looked like Adam West and a scene or two later he did the Batusi and I realized someone in production also thought he looked like West and leaned the gently caress into it.

Krypto is also great because he’s the absurd, kid-friendly comic hero and they drop him into the “serious” show and he’s still just a good boy. I don’t think he would have worked as well in any of the other shows even though you’d think LoT or Doom Patrol would be a better fit.

I like this show, but I think I appreciate it more.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Check out the Robin color scheming in scenes featuring Dick Grayson's imagination:

https://imgur.com/iEiWy92

https://imgur.com/0kFa6gI

https://imgur.com/KcRSgOS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's neat.

Iain Glenn is awesome.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sort of thinking, given Jericho's power-set and history in comics, that Jericho's consciousness has been sleeping in the back of Dick Grayson's mind ever since Jericho's "death" at the hands of Dick Grayson. And that seeing/fighting Deathstroke in person after 5 years kind of woke Jericho's consciousness up which lead to the Bruce Wayne hallucination.
But that's just wild guessing and probably too crazy for the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd bet you're not far off. Jericho is in either Dick or Slade.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Latest episode seems to point to Slade, considering he is the one that accidentally killed Jericho

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
The pacing of this show continues to drive me absolutely up the wall, but I really liked their take on Jericho, who is genuinely sweet and is willing to listen when the Titans tell him the truth. Deathstroke's "WE'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I" speech didn't really make any sense, since Robin is brutal but explicitly nonlethal.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

vseslav.botkin posted:

The pacing of this show continues to drive me absolutely up the wall, but

I feel the exact same way. It's like they took the formula for how many regular episodes vs flashback/exploring a detour episodes there should be and reversed it. Still enjoying it but it's really not a smooth ride.

vseslav.botkin posted:

Deathstroke's "WE'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I" speech didn't really make any sense, since Robin is brutal but explicitly nonlethal.

Didn't he pretty explicitly kill a bunch of people in season 1 when he practically ordered Kori to blow up the facility which, in addition to the dozen dudes he had just beaten in the head with a lead pipe who may have already died from their wounds anyways, contained a lot more people off screen? She was ready to just leave and made him tell her to do it again, and this was before she fully knew what was happening.

I feel like the show even acknowledged it because that was the same event that burned the Robin suit and he hasn't worn it since.

Either way this version of Dick clearly has a killer inside him that he struggles to keep at bay, it's pretty integral to the whole take here, regardless what the comics it's based on say about him. I didn't have any problem with Deathstroke calling him out on it.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

great big cardboard tube posted:

Either way this version of Dick clearly has a killer inside him that he struggles to keep at bay, it's pretty integral to the whole take here, regardless what the comics it's based on say about him. I didn't have any problem with Deathstroke calling him out on it.

Fair point, I forgot about the asylum.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's so loving frustrating that every other episode of this show grinds the plot to a screeching halt while they do a flashback episode. They should have done it arrow style with a concurrent flashback storyline a few minutes each episode.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

It's so loving frustrating that every other episode of this show grinds the plot to a screeching halt while they do a flashback episode. They should have done it arrow style with a concurrent flashback storyline a few minutes each episode.

that's probably precisely why the didn't go this route and the show suffers for it. Just drop flashbacks after season 1 if you dont need them as a plot device anymore. Ironically flashbacks are now an anchor around Arrow's neck but they worked for years

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
This show might not be for you as the overarching plots are like the least interesting thing about it, as evidenced by the ridiculously anti-climactic Trigon resolution.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

It also causes the problem where since they're doing flashbacks half the cast hasn't been showing up for the majority of the season.

Something that bugged me about this episode was how bad the gun effects were when Slade was escaping. Especially the bits where he was firing the pistol with how obvious everything about them were CG.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jericho died without actually seeing his dad's eyes, or anyone else's. So I guess he's dead... unless they're going to do some "that isn't really what happened" twist.

I don't really see how it's Dick's fault either. That'd be like saying Aqualad's death is Jillian's fault.
Slade just didn't give a poo poo about anything but the kill... just forgot his son was there. Good thing the grenade wasn't lethal or he would have died from that too.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 27, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I knew they'd pull some reversal horse poo poo like that, but doing it after Dick explicitly said last episode "I killed Deathstroke's son." makes the whole thing so much stupider than it has to be

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jericho would be alive if Dick hadn't decided to use him to get at Deathstroke. He didn't kill him but it's his fault Jericho was even there.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Technically Deathstroke invited Jericho there, after his ex-wife told him (a violent sociopath) to "fix it".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Jericho would be alive if Dick hadn't decided to use him to get at Deathstroke. He didn't kill him but it's his fault Jericho was even there.

Deathstroke stabbed him with a sword, being held by Deathstroke. who stabbed his own son, who jumped in front of the blade. it was just stupid to try and tease like it went any other direction beforehand. There is zero ambiguity with the way they presented it, Dick shares zero percent of the blame for any of that

if it was Dick that swung his staff and it hit Jericho in the back of the skull, or he threw a batarang that hit Jericho in the neck(again) then I could see him feeling responsible and using the words he did in the previous episode. But as presented, it was just pointlessly misleading. Like just say "I'm the reason deathstroke's son is dead." not "I killed his son" when you abso-loving-lutely did not, even if you want to shift goalposts to 'well its his fault he was there in the first place...' it still doesn't work.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

bring back old gbs posted:

But as presented, it was just pointlessly misleading. Like just say "I'm the reason deathstroke's son is dead." not "I killed his son" when you abso-loving-lutely did not, even if you want to shift goalposts to 'well its his fault he was there in the first place...' it still doesn't work.

Yeah, it would have been better actually if he did die from the grenade Dick swatted away. That would kinda justify that line.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slade has a bad habit of murdering his Kids in the comics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The only reason Jericho was meeting with Deathstroke is because Dick gave his blessing. Then Dick decided to crash the meeting without any backup. I think that's reckless enough for Dick to claim culpability.